Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Vs Fifa

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Pro Evolution 10-0 Fifa
    anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

meh.. Fanboy = FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hmmm I thought we were about due one of these :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,164 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

to take this thread seriously - I would say the ISS/PES series has been consistently better than FIFA since the first ISS on the Snes. I wouldn't take FIFA over a single iteration of the game, despite how disappointing PES was last year ( i found fifa even more disappointing given the hype)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Oh be the hokey, another one of these threads :P

My 2 farthings so I suppose.

Have always played PES back to ISS on the PS1.
    Disappointed with online last year on PES, but the single player was the best iteration so far.

Played the FIFA09 demo at the weekend and wasn't impressed. Last Fifa game I played was 07 and was expecting a hell of a lot more considering the amount of Fanboy threads I read.

Hoping that PES2009 comes up to speed, but if the reviews aren't good, this may be a year where I don't buy either.

And just to add controversy, my fav PES game was 4. (Had to get the superglue out to fix my xbox controller after that playing the life out of that one :D)

Thanks Richie that saves me from buying it now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

richie_os wrote: »
    Pro Evolution 10-0 Fifa

dancor wrote: »

so, honestly, what would you say the 'score' is? Which Fifa titles have been better than the ISS/Pro Evo title of the same year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tauren wrote: »
    so, honestly, what would you say the 'score' is? Which Fifa titles have been better than the ISS/Pro Evo title of the same year?

I usually go by who produced the better latest game.

Pro Evolution soccer 2008 was one of the worst games ever. Fifa 08 improved hugely on previous versions and actually added features instead of deleting features. Also online worked

I usually love pro but after last years disgraceful installment it's going to take a huge effort from them for me to even contemplate buying it

Unearthly wrote: »
    I usually go by who produced the better latest game.

Pro Evolution soccer 2008 was one of the worst games ever. Fifa 08 improved hugely on previous versions and actually added features instead of deleting features. Also online worked

I usually love pro but after last years disgraceful installment it's going to take a huge effort from them for me to even contemplate buying it

Personally, I still enjoyed PES08 when playing it with friends - a lot more enjoyable than FIFA which I found slugish, boring and without feeling. PES08 had problems, no doubt about that - online being useless (personally, i didn't care cause I have no real interest in online play) the slow down, the game being a bit too fast and the keepers being crap. And yes, FIFA did make a big leap forward. But for me, that leap still wasn't enough. FIFA surprised and PES disappointed but if both games were the first football games produced from either company, I reckon PES would have been received a lot better; the passing, shooting, crossing, tackling and responsiveness of the players was much better than FIFA. PES suffered from being less than what people expected while Fifa was more - i still don't think that has amounted to FIFA being the actual better game to play, not for me (and before you say give FIFA a chance blah blah blah - I bought it and have given it lots of chances)

I think the biggest mistake Konami made was allowing EA to get Be A Pro mode into Europe first, cause now everyone seems to think Be a Legend is a copy of it, which is a massive, massive lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I think the biggest mistake Konami made was allowing EA to get Be A Pro mode into Europe first, cause now everyone seems to think Be a Legend is a copy of it, which is a massive, massive lie.

Explain! :)

• Advertisement

Headspin wrote: »
    Explain! :)

Winning 11 series, PES in Japan, has had the 'Fantasia' mode, or called something like that, which IS Become a Legend, it just hadn't been put into the western version of PES until this year, which is criminal considering how popular the mode was in Japan.

Basically, Konami have had the mode in the series for the iteration prior to FIF08 coming out, so the WE version of PES6 but because people only pay attention to the western release and modes, people think Pro is copying from FIFA, which it isn't - it is just finally including a mode it already had.

As I say, a big mistake from Konami to allow this to happen, for no apparent reason.

Also, Libero Grande was the first real champion of the idea, just the idea was way to much for the capabilities of the AI and hardware at the time it came out, so it stank. So, if Konami stole from anyone, they stole from Namco (i think it was Namco...)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

thats the last time i start a thread after a drunken pes tournament :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

ive always been a pes man, but lets get real here lads the game has stood still for the last 3-4 years imo.

While fifa has improved dramatically, a decent online sevice also 10v10 anyone?

Konami can't even get 1v1 good.

I've played the demo of fifa 09 and tbf its pretty good, pes has its work cut out i think.

pesireland wrote: »
    ive always been a pes man, but lets get real here lads the game has stood still for the last 3-4 years imo.

While fifa has improved dramatically, a decent online sevice also 10v10 anyone?

Konami can't even get 1v1 good.

I've played the demo of fifa 09 and tbf its pretty good, pes has its work cut out i think.

taking the core gameplay - PES has stood fairly still yeah - but its gameplay was fantastic up to the next gen versions, the PS2 versions are still brilliant. Even as it is I don't think PES08 is as bad as people make out, 1 vs 1 against a mate in the same room is still great. FIFA has improved with 08 and 09, but it had to, it was incredably sh1t, quite simply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

tbh i don't care which one is better, if we get 2 great footie games all the better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

taking the core gameplay - PES has stood fairly still yeah - but its gameplay was fantastic up to the next gen versions, the PS2 versions are still brilliant. Even as it is I don't think PES08 is as bad as people make out, 1 vs 1 against a mate in the same room is still great. FIFA has improved with 08 and 09, but it had to, it was incredably sh1t, quite simply.

PES gameplay 1vs1 is good still, but i got sick of (10 minute) games finishing 8 - 6 or 9 -4, which happened quite a lot! football matches never end with scores like that (unless the teams are rank amateurs) it's ridiculous how many goals can be scored, if they can sort that out as well as the useless goalies and AI acting shockingly stupid, the game will be great again in my view. Right now the most realistic version of console or PC footie is provided by FIFA and that's why i prefer it at the mo. FIFA too is far from perfect but it seems like they try a lot harder in all ways to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Childish 10 - 0 Sensical
    anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

pro evo 2-6 were definitely better. Fifa 08 would be considered better but only really because it can actualy be played online.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Having always been a Pro Evo man, im leaning towards Fifa since last year. just thought Pro Evo was too fast.

as someone said above, if we get 2 class games this year all the better, plenty of room for both games!

It appears that Pro has slowed down this year, in comparison to last years effort, but it is still fast compared to FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I see nothing wrong with the speed of Pro Evo, it's what makes it exciting. What if we find ourselves at the point that it has slowed down, and then we see why it's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

This debate goes through my mind a lot. On PS1 I was a big FIFA man but also enjoyed ISS Pro. Then Pro Evo 2 came along and I have bought Pro Evo every year on PS2 and now PS3 since then. The gameplay is much much better on Pro Evo so i hated FIFA and people who picked it over Pro Evo. But my mind has been changed the last 2 years. I still love playing Pro Evo with friends more than playing FIFA. But in the last 2 years I have also checked out FIFA as well. Pro Evo 2007 was still brilliant gameplay but I am just getting fed up with the master league mode. I had got bored of one player Pro evo 2007 by the summer of 2007. My g/f brother had FIFA and I seen what manager mode was made of so i thought feck it and bought FIFA 07 second hand for cheap to get more through the next few months when the new Pro Evo was to come out. The gameplay was a lot better than it had been in previous years as i had played FIFA the odd time as one mate still preferred FIFA. And the extras like manager mode made it a good purchase.
    Then Pro Evo 2008 came out and I got me PS3 and i didn't even think about FIFA, i was thinking Pro Evo on Next Gen give it to me now. But I was sooo dispointed it is unreal. Online was unplayable because of Lag and even one player had some glitches. The players were running too fast. Then they still had the crap master league, missing jerseys and even the menu and the music it was just so annoying. I had COD4 as well and i just didn't bother playing Pro Evo. Then I played FIFA 2008 on the X Box over Christmas. The gameplay again had improved greatly. Two player games were nearly as exciting as Pro Evo and the grapics and extras like manager mode i just thought I am buying that. Then i started playing online and it is very good online and Be a Pro was great addition. I am still playing it now and we are coming round to the new editions of the games.

So now i have to make a choice of what game to buy this year. All my mates will be buying Pro Evo again of course. But after reading initial reviews it sounds like the reviewers are going for FIFA again this year. So think it could be FIFA again this year.

In terms of ranking though i would say it's been Pro Evo every year except for last year. But by sounds of reviews it could be another year for FIFA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Andyfbt wrote: »
    This debate goes through my mind a lot. On PS1 I was a big FIFA man but also enjoyed ISS Pro. Then Pro Evo 2 came along and I have bought Pro Evo every year on PS2 and now PS3 since then. The gameplay is much much better on Pro Evo so i hated FIFA and people who picked it over Pro Evo. But my mind has been changed the last 2 years. I still love playing Pro Evo with friends more than playing FIFA. But in the last 2 years I have also checked out FIFA as well. Pro Evo 2007 was still brilliant gameplay but I am just getting fed up with the master league mode. I had got bored of one player Pro evo 2007 by the summer of 2007. My g/f brother had FIFA and I seen what manager mode was made of so i thought feck it and bought FIFA 07 second hand for cheap to get more through the next few months when the new Pro Evo was to come out. The gameplay was a lot better than it had been in previous years as i had played FIFA the odd time as one mate still preferred FIFA. And the extras like manager mode made it a good purchase.
    Then Pro Evo 2008 came out and I got me PS3 and i didn't even think about FIFA, i was thinking Pro Evo on Next Gen give it to me now. But I was sooo dispointed it is unreal. Online was unplayable because of Lag and even one player had some glitches. The players were running too fast. Then they still had the crap master league, missing jerseys and even the menu and the music it was just so annoying. I had COD4 as well and i just didn't bother playing Pro Evo. Then I played FIFA 2008 on the X Box over Christmas. The gameplay again had improved greatly. Two player games were nearly as exciting as Pro Evo and the grapics and extras like manager mode i just thought I am buying that. Then i started playing online and it is very good online and Be a Pro was great addition. I am still playing it now and we are coming round to the new editions of the games.

So now i have to make a choice of what game to buy this year. All my mates will be buying Pro Evo again of course. But after reading initial reviews it sounds like the reviewers are going for FIFA again this year. So think it could be FIFA again this year.

In terms of ranking though i would say it's been Pro Evo every year except for last year. But by sounds of reviews it could be another year for FIFA

I'd go with all that. I ain't throwing money down the drain to Konami again. The demo looks like the players are still taking cocaine with the speed of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

After playing both Demos for a fair bit, I'm still swaying towards Pro Evo. Fifa just never seemes right to me. The last fifa games I bought was on the ps2, think it was 2000 (Scholes on the front!) and ever since then I've bought PES.
    This years version is slower than last, graphics seem greatly improved, gameplay is good, keepers seem to push the ball away from attackers instead of out to there feet!

well - i bought FIFA09 today in a fit of impulse buying!

Have to say, i'm enjoying it.

Don't like my inability to really dribble past anyone - has to be a straight run or on to a through ball to get my players into space.

My big issue with the game is hitting the post. It happens WAY to much. I hit the post, without fail, 4 times a game at least. Really starting to get annoying at this point.

Still, REALLY looking forward to getting Pro in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

After playing about 15-20 games of Fifa09, i want to just go on a run with someone and score from outside the box!! I'm sick of all the patient build up being forced on me. I liked it at the start, but now i just want to beat more then 2 players on a run and unleash a rocketship from 25 yards without it going into row Z!

Bring on Pro Evo. There's no way i can play the 'patient build up' for the next 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

is it me or has pro evo's shooting become more 'floaty' like fifa? kinda sucks, we have fifa 09 and pro evo demo here and i gotta say, fifa 09 is pretty impressive and ive always liked pro evo/iss more before.

I think the shoting in pro evo isn't too bad. Fifas is terrible. If I'm havinga shot from out side the box in pro evo (and free kicks), I normally double tap shoot, should get the power bar up to half way, ad gives you a good chance of it going in. Works for corners aswell, normally gets it to around the peno spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Winning 11 series, PES in Japan, has had the 'Fantasia' mode, or called something like that

Fantasista. ;)

Great mode and yeah it was in WE before EA had even thought of it. The only problem is Fifa have possibly made the idea their own and made it better than Become A Legend. It all depends on the camera though, so I'll wait to see how BaL does that this year. Playing them previously on WE I had to revert to the normal Wide Camera but focus it on my player for the mode to be any use as the default camera Konami developed was awful.

• Advertisement

I remember playing a game on the PSOne, and you only controlled the one player. This is going way back now, can't remember for the life of me what the name of it was!

Advertisement