Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get the demo of LIVE or PSN yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

All true I agree, but I have a video of a goal I just scored with Rooney and unfortunately it looks once again as if it's the animation thats the problem not the AI at all.
    I'll try and upload it to show you what I mean but the keeper should have saved it, was diving correctly and seemed to even pulls his arms away from it. Looked alright from the wide cam until I watched the replay.

Even with all my apparent negativity, I did still enjoy that match I just had, so it's not as if I'm giving up on it, I've had practically every Konami release probably for the last 5 years or so, so I'll be buying 2009, it's just a bit of a shame that I'm actually looking forward to Fifa dropping in my door tomorrow than waiting for PES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Ok, an update, it's ridiculously easy to get sent off. Playing against Madrid, they had two players sent off for nothing. I had one player sent off. I don't think I've finished a game where both sides haven't had at least one man sent off each. It's crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Just played both demo's one after another there....and I like FIFA more. Havn't bought a FIFA game since FIFA 2004 but I think that is going to change. That PES demo just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Okay I am xtremely disappointed to say

this game is a FLOP
    5:13:flop.jpg
    FIFA IS A FLOP ASWELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Played the demo and it is an improvement over 2008, which wouldn't be hard but FIFA plays better I think so I will be getting FIFA tomorrow and maybe Pro Evo when I see it 2nd hand somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

My PES 09 Review: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!1 F*CKING CRAPFEST!! 08 SH*TS ALL OVER THIS! LOOK AT HOW THE PLAYERS RUN!! LOL AT THEIR ZANINESS!! I CAN'T DO SKILLS ANYMORE!? LOL!!!! THIS IS SOOOO MUCH FUN!!! PASS! SHOOT! TACKLE! THROW IN! THROW IN! SHOOT! GAME OVER! YAWWWN!

conclusion: ABSOLUTE MUCK!

(no apologies for caps)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

m83 wrote: »
    My PES 09 Review: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!1 F*CKING CRAPFEST!! 08 SH*TS ALL OVER THIS! LOOK AT HOW THE PLAYERS RUN!! LOL AT THEIR ZANINESS!! I CAN'T DO SKILLS ANYMORE!? LOL!!!! THIS IS SOOOO MUCH FUN!!! PASS! SHOOT! TACKLE! THROW IN! THROW IN! SHOOT! GAME OVER! YAWWWN!

conclusion: ABSOLUTE MUCK!

(no apologies for caps)

What a fool?
    Played two games of the demo and I enjoyed them but I don't think it's enough for me to properly judge. My observations are, that it's a much slower game. More build up to it, but you can still cut through a defense with a great throughball. Though I thought it was a bit easy to score. First game I cracked in a great volley with Messi from a corner. Then he is the poster boy isn't he? I remember the last few games it took me ages to nail the shooting. Maybe it's because shooting is similar to 2008. In saying that I skied some shots that I'd put in normally in 2008, so again it's a few more games for me to get the feel I think.

I don't see what other people are saying about being sent off easily. I put in some seriously harsh tackles and nothing came of it. Had a booking on the opposing team because Rooney was torn down just outside the box. Realistic I reckon?

It feels weird but so have all incarnations of the game. I have a feeling it's gonna grow on me. I'm going to play a few more matches tomorrow and I reckon I'll buy the game. The become a legend stuff looks good, and if online isn't laggy to **** then even better. Still, I reserve judgement.

I also downloaded the Fifa demo, and thought it was alright. It didn't feel at all like a decent game, but I'm half thinking of getting it because these types of game tend to take a while to get used to and grow on ye. Kind of like a great album, that at first you think is ****e.

Some of the posts in this thread stink of fanboy. I couldn't give a **** whether it's Fifa or Pes. I just want a good game to play with my mates/online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I cant understand that stupid ball noise and the sound of the refs whistle. awful.

The lack of the tricks isnt too bad but i Have accidently put my finger on the right stick and done a manual pass.

I have found my main gripe and it was a problem in either 4 or 5 cant remember. high through balls. I have connected nearly every single one so far. will lead to nice goals but easy ones I think. the player control is a lot easier when using the right shoulder button(not the sprint) to move your players at corners. they felt like they were heavy before and slowly step but now they make proper runs.

Many more games to be had tomorrow.

really wish it didnt make you watch that stupid video everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I cant understand that stupid ball noise and the sound of the refs whistle. awful.

The lack of the tricks isnt too bad but i Have accidently put my finger on the right stick and done a manual pass.

I have found my main gripe and it was a problem in either 4 or 5 cant remember. high through balls. I have connected nearly every single one so far. will lead to nice goals but easy ones I think. the player control is a lot easier when using the right shoulder button(not the sprint) to move your players at corners. they felt like they were heavy before and slowly step but now they make proper runs.

Many more games to be had tomorrow.

really wish it didnt make you watch that stupid video everytime

When it gets to injury time, just end the game and return to the main (demo) menu, and start over much quicker.

Played a few games last night, and i'm a lot happier with PES2009 than I was with FIFA09, based on the two demos.

I love that you have to make sure you position your player and control the ball properly in the right direction in order to maintain possession, and I find that you have to take a more considered approach to the passing in general - 'no look' reverse passes into runs can still be pulled off, but require more thought than before. Found the shooting slightly off, but i generally do with new PES games so i assume I'll get used to it. I have noticed it is a lot more dependent on the position of the player, the foot you are striking it with, the balance of the player - basically that bit more realistic.

Still find the keepers that bit too poor - fumbling away shots they should easily be holding on to, which is disappointing, but then they are making some great saves in general play... weird one.

My biggest issue is a disconnect with goals - i dunno what it is (but my guess is the time lost between the ball hitting the back of the net, and the 'crowd' responding to it - its almost FIFAlike in its lack of satisfaction, in comparison to other PES titles, maybe (hopefully) this is one thing that is tweaked for the better in the final build.

I don't get what issues people are having with the tricks. I was doing 360's and 'flip-flaps', along with the step overs, drag backs and nut megs. Granted they didn't all come off, but then again, they shouldn't always come off. I'm guessing the angry man with the caps lock was crap at it and didn't understand how to do the tricks.... oh well, who cares!

Overall i am happy and disappointed. It is not as big a leap from PES08 as I wished for, but people's whoese opinion i trust have said that the more you play the full build, the better the game feels and makes more sense, so hopefully with more time on the full version in two weeks i'll love it that bit more. I still maintain PES08 was an enjoyable game, more so than FIFA08, despite its flaws (mainly cause the biggest flaw it had was online lag, and I had no real interest in getting my ass kicked online so it didn't bother me at all) so as PES09 does seem to be an improvement, I am confident I will enjoy it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

As I said before, all this demo was going to do for me was put my fears about the framerate and gameplay to bed, which it has done well.

Now I will wait for reviews, regarding the online and then I'll decide.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    As I said before, all this demo was going to do for me was put my fears about the framerate and gameplay to bed, which it has done well.

Now I will wait for reviews, regarding the online and then I'll decide.
    One lad who i was reading some info from yesterday has the full copy of the game (Runs a swedish PES blog or something like that - Konami gave him a copy to review) He said that he tried the online and there was no lag at all. However, I would imagine the fact very, very few people are playing it online which would probably effect and potential lag issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

i liked it. slower than 08 but that's what everyone wanted.

like someone said above, i was really just hoping for constant frame rate and proper online. half way there anyway going by the demo :pac:

i played the fifa demo after it and i must say pro evo is still light years ahead of fifa. even gameplay graphics in pro evo are way better in my opinion.

granted the cut scenes etc in fifa are tops but who buys the game for that?

PRO EVO all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Right, finally got to play the demo last night after 4hrs of downloading, now let’s remember this is this only a demo, not the finished product.

The first thing I noticed was the menus, they are absolutely awe full, I actually thought I was looking at PS1 game, what they were thinking I’ll never know, even the club crests are jaggy which on next gen consoles is unacceptable.

So after navigating through the menu I get to the match. Liverpool vs. Man Utd, Graphics are a slight improvement over PES2008 but only slightly. The crests and sponsors do look very blurry on the kits though imo.

First thing I notice when playing the game is the pace, it’s slowed down a lot which imo is a good thing, and also the players now have a more physical presence about them. If I could describe the game play I’d say its PES4 or PES5 game play which is also a good thing. The passing is also slight changed and not as accurate. Shooting is a bit hit & miss for me at the moment, but that is because I’ve yet to get to grips with it yet. So over all I think the game play is good.

The stadium chats are shockingly funny thank god we can upload our own chats (I’m correct in this yeah?) and the sound of the ball been hit “thud” is embarrassing really, but I can deal with it.
    If this is the sound so far I dread to think what the commentary will be like.

The legend Mode looks very impressive I must say, but I hope we can turn off all the score crap that keeps popping up on the screen as it make the game look very Asian.

So my score

Game play = 9
    Graphics = 7.5
    Sound = 5.5
    Menus = 5
    Modes = 8.5

Total Score = 71%

Seems a bit harsh of score but it’s the silly things that let PES09 down, like menus, sound etc, where the important things like modes, game play are impressive, I’ll still be getting it as I really like PES09 and think it’s an improvement over PES08.

While I’m, at it I might as well rate Fifa 09 just to cause a stir

Game play = 8.5
    Graphics = 9.5
    Sound = 8.5
    Menus = 7
    Modes = 9.5

Total Score = 86%

I should be a critic , so i 'm happy and think we have 2 good although different footie games this season

I just can't believe you put so much enphasis on Menus.... You rate the game play as better than FIFA, the single most important thing in the game yet PES gets a way worse percentage from you?

As for the graphics, i'll take the stocky PES players over the zombie heroin addicts in FIFA.

Also, on the menues - what menues are you talking about? The only menus i saw in the demo were the team selection and game length/type screen - both of which were fine imo. You could throw in the team formation/subs screen, and that is WAY ahead of the complicated mess FIFA have thrown up imo. I honestly don't see why hyou are saying the menu is THAT bad. Silly things like the menus (eh?) mean it gets 71% despite impressive gameplay and modes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Really enjoying demo so far, feels more like pro evo's of old compared to last one, no slow-downs around box even for corners etc. Ref in demo seems overly harsh imo but I love the way "L1-triangle" through ball works now, scored a nice goal with torres running though on the volley.

Wish I could try legends but not available in demo. If you are a pro-evo fan like me and havent played Fifa much, you will prefer this game over Fifa, I just cant get used to how Fifa plays, new pro evo is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Had a good few more games. Still hate it. It IS an improvement over last year but it doesn't feel right at all. Clunky has been mentioned before and I agree. There is no fluidity to how the players move/react. Sound is bad, graphics are poor etc... Of course at the end of the day it comes down to gameplay. You can forgive un-licenced teams/leagues etc... if the gameplay rocks but in my opinion the gameplay...sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

yeah seriously come on, the menu's are NOT that bad

and for those who cant handle the thud, turn the sound effects down

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I really like it.
    Played 6 or so games and it was just a lot of fun - loads of those shout out loud, jumping out of your seat moments when the ball is in the box.
    The passing is lovely and crisp and is more orientated towards a good build up possession type of game - for the conesiur you could say! ;) and as others have mentioned maybe a bit like older versions of the game.
    The tackling is much improved and is lovely and juicy! You can get much more of a good slide in for blocking shots and passes and the like. Though the refs can be a bit harsh if you take man and ball :mad:
    The shooting I also really like and I think I've got the hang of it fairly quickly - basically the ball goes exactly where you are aiming the thing - more of an emphasis on being able to "finish your dinner" I reckon. In the last game a couple of my mates who were always poor finishers seemed to score too easily, so I'm very happy that has been changed :D
    Also like the wide camera - it certainly is wide!
    Thought the menus were fine as well, looked "street"! Music was good too I thought.
    The noise of the ball was a bit much though - hopefully thats changed. And some of the crowd chants were just plain annoying.
    All in all though I thought it was a substantial improvement on PES08 and I can't feckin wait for the full game to come out...

brianon wrote: »
    Had a good few more games. Still hate it. It IS an improvement over last year but it doesn't feel right at all. Clunky has been mentioned before and I agree. There is no fluidity to how the players move/react. Sound is bad, graphics are poor etc... Of course at the end of the day it comes down to gameplay. You can forgive un-licenced teams/leagues etc... if the gameplay rocks but in my opinion the gameplay...sucks.

Really?

I agree the players aren't as quick to control the ball and get going as they were in 2008, but it is better imo. You have to use R2 when receiving the ball to get a more considered touch and keep the ball under control, you also have to plan the direction of your touch. Good things imo. In general I find the fluidity of the players is fine, striking a good balance between realism and arcadeness.

Sound isn't great but i hardly noticed it to be honest, and as for the graphics being poor, don't agree with you at all. they are not awesomely realistic, you know you are playing a computer game and not watching the tv, but i would hardly call them poor - I actually think the player models look better than fifa in the most part. Pitch could do with extra texture though, its a bit flat. Very much looking forward to playing proper night games and in the rain,k apparently the rain effects are brilliant, and also really show off the new ball physics. should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I loved every pro evo in the series apart from 2008, which in my opinion was FAR too fast and arcadey. Whats the fun in running the pitch with one player and scoring ?

My main hope with 2009 is that they would slow the game down a bit, and it looks like they have. I'll need to play it a bit more to find out how much I like or dislike it.

One thing is for sure, FIFA 2009 will take some beating. It really has come on leaps and bounds in the last two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I honestly thought the Fifa demo wasn't great. Just annoyed me, still have to download this demo! (Stupid work & girlfriends :) ) If its better than last years surely that is a big improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I really like it. Wasn't the biggest fan of Pro Evo last year and even just stuck to playing the PS2 version but i am excited about this one. I played quite a few games last night and then I played one online game on the Pro Evo 08 and it just showed up how good this new version is. I for one will be buying this game as soon as it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tusky wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, FIFA 2009 will take some beating. It really has come on leaps and bounds in the last two years.

I hated PES2008. Still playing PES6.
    Am very unsure about PES09 as it's being touted by many as 'PES2008, but better'.
    Is the new FIFA really good? Would it make me ditch a superb fully patched up-to-date vertsion of PES6?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hated PES2008. Still playing PES6.
    Am very unsure about PES09 as it's being touted by many as 'PES2008, but better'.
    Is the new FIFA really good? Would it make me ditch a superb fully patched up-to-date vertsion of PES6?
    Yes, fifa 2009 is far better than pes 09, this is coming from someone who's bought every pes game since iss deluxe.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Yes, fifa 2009 is far better than pes 09, this is coming from someone who's bought every pes game since iss deluxe.

I couldn't disagree more, Im a massive pro evo fan, was very disappointed with pes2008 but pes2009 is far better, played Fifa 09 and really tried to give it a chance but its just not PES

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tw0nk wrote: »
    but its just not PES
    you're right, it's FIFA, and this year it's the best footy game available. Be a pro seasons is genius.

ShaneU wrote: »
    you're right, it's FIFA, and this year it's the best footy game available. Be a pro seasons is genius.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

if your convinced ronaldo is the greatest player of all time get fifa. if you know better get pes2009.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

there is no question PES player models are better than Fifa...its not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

if your convinced ronaldo is the greatest player of all time get fifa. if you know better get pes2009.;)

But Ronaldo is the best player in Pro Evolution 2009...

Advertisement