Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

marno21 wrote: »
    Repair works to be done on the N20 through Buttevant. More delays on the way.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/worst-street-in-ireland-to-be-repaired-306982.html

about time. i think its better to have temporary delays than crawling 5km over that rd. never come across a main town rd to be so bad. on low profiles its a killer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yeah but you know they'll be putting traffic islands on that stretch of road too like they have done in other small towns!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mc Love wrote: »
    yeah but you know they'll be putting traffic islands on that stretch of road too like they have done in other small towns!
    Is there anything wrong with that?

I feel sorry for the pedestrians of Buttevant and the traffic they have to put up with from day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Mc Love wrote: »

But you'd deal with that. There's plenty of them along that road anyway from Cork to Charleville

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Here's a prediction. M20 to be announced in the run up to the next general election as part of vote buying.

And low and behold, Sean Sherlock is on the front of the Echo today, stating that the M20 is back on the government's agenda with planning and funding for the road going to be restarted. Amazing. You'd swear there was a general election coming up for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

And low and behold, Sean Sherlock is on the front of the Echo today, stating that the M20 is back on the government's agenda with planning and funding for the road going to be restarted. Amazing. You'd swear there was a general election coming up for something.
    They'd get my vote! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sean Sherlock, that fine upstanding example of Political Correctness:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Enough said:mad:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Any chance of getting a picture of the article up here?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

HxaWlE9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It would be great to see it happen, but successive Governments are just putting all the resources into Dublin.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    It would be great to see it happen, but successive Governments are just putting all the resources into Dublin.
    Yep as Mr. Healy Rae said last night - some in Dublin think anything of any worth ends at the Red Cow..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So, if it was to happen, when would it happen?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep as Mr. Healy Rae said last night - some in Dublin think anything of any worth ends at the Red Cow..

He's a bit out of date there, maybe 6 or 7 miles beyond it now. But the point is valid, this motorway would be classed as 'parish pump' politics by many in the media.

He's a bit out of date there, maybe 6 or 7 miles beyond it now. But the point is valid, this motorway would be classed as 'parish pump' politics by many in the media.
    Ha I think he just used the red cow as everyone coming from the south would know it .. This road will basically finish (for the most) our motorway network - it's very far from parish pump politics.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ha I think he just used the red cow as everyone coming from the south would know it .. This road will basically finish (for the most) our motorway network - it's very far from parish pump politics.

Something needs to be done on the Limerick-Waterford road too, it may take another 100 deaths though for some action. :(

Something needs to be done on the Limerick-Waterford road too, it may take another 100 deaths though for some action. :(

I often travel the N24 as far as Clonmel in the summer months. Its one of the most brutally depressing national roads in the country. There is VERY little from Limerick-Tipperary.

Also in cahir, the bypass is unbelievably confusing. Its Something that should be taken a serious look at and the question asked of what Gob****e thought that was a good idea.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I often travel the N24 as far as Clonmel in the summer months. Its one of the most brutally depressing national roads in the country. There is VERY little from Limerick-Tipperary.

Also in cahir, the bypass is unbelievably confusing. Something that should be taken a serious look at and the question asked of what Gob****e thought that was a good idea.

The whole interaction of the M8 / N24 bypass / old N8 bypass is shockingly confusing. Really should have been thought through a bit better when being built.

Saying that, the whole N25 / M9 / N24 setup outside of Waterford City is beyond stupid too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The full article in the Echo on the proposed M20.

Cork to Limerick in 50 minutes

PLANS for an €850 million motorway between Cork and Limerick are back on the government's agenda.

The 80km motorway, which would cut almost 30 minutes off the journey between the two cities, was shelved in 2011.

But now Cork Minister of State, Sean Sherlock said government investment in the road project was firmly back in the government spotlight.

The motorway is seen as vital to Munster's future as an economic hub.

The 80km stretch of motorway would bypass Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville, and include six road bridges, eight river bridges, two rail bridges and 64km of associated local roads.

Its construction would save motorists upto 28 minutes on the journey between the cities, according to the National Roads Authority

Then Minister for Transport, Leo Varadkar, announced in 2011 that plans for the €850m link between Cork and Limerick were being shelved due to the country's economic circumstances.

He said it would be 2023 before the M20 motorway project arose again. This was despite €20m being spent on planning.

The motorway was seen as one of the last pieces of the economic puzzle to make Cork one of the most desirable locations to invest for foreign companies because of the ease of access to Shannon Airport.

Minister Sherlock has said he has discussed resurrecting the M20 project with Minister for Public Expenditure, Brendan Howlin, as well as Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohue.

"I know from my discussions with the chief executive of the National Roads Authority (NRA) and Minister for Transport, Pascal Donohue, that there are proposals to put that back on track again. I can say that is in play as we speak."

The full article in the Echo on the proposed M20.

Cork to Limerick in 50 minutes

PLANS for an €850 million motorway between Cork and Limerick are back on the government's agenda.

The 80km motorway, which would cut almost 30 minutes off the journey between the two cities, was shelved in 2011.

But now Cork Minister of State, Sean Sherlock said government investment in the road project was firmly back in the government spotlight.

The motorway is seen as vital to Munster's future as an economic hub.

The 80km stretch of motorway would bypass Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville, and include six road bridges, eight river bridges, two rail bridges and 64km of associated local roads.

Its construction would save motorists upto 28 minutes on the journey between the cities, according to the National Roads Authority

Then Minister for Transport, Leo Varadkar, announced in 2011 that plans for the €850m link between Cork and Limerick were being shelved due to the country's economic circumstances.

He said it would be 2023 before the M20 motorway project arose again. This was despite €20m being spent on planning.

The motorway was seen as one of the last pieces of the economic puzzle to make Cork one of the most desirable locations to invest for foreign companies because of the ease of access to Shannon Airport.

Minister Sherlock has said he has discussed resurrecting the M20 project with Minister for Public Expenditure, Brendan Howlin, as well as Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohue.

"I know from my discussions with the chief executive of the National Roads Authority (NRA) and Minister for Transport, Pascal Donohue, that there are proposals to put that back on track again. I can say that is in play as we speak."

I welcome the project but I have no idea why people view it as a good idea to send the majority of flights accommodating Cork passengers to Shannon when we have a perfectly good airport being underused here in Cork.

I welcome the project but I have no idea why people view it as a good idea to send the majority of flights accommodating Cork passengers to Shannon when we have a perfectly good airport being underused here in Cork.
    Transatlantic flights would be I assume the primary reason.

• Advertisement

Cargo and Transatlantic.

Cork has good European connections, but practically no cargo flights and no long haul at all.

Transatlantic flights would be I assume the primary reason.

Cargo and Transatlantic.

Cork has good European connections, but practically no cargo flights and no long haul at all.

There is no reason Cork can not service both transatlantic and cargo outside of government policy. There's a whole other thread for this over on the Cork City forum so its best I stop taking this thread off line I guess :D

There is no reason Cork can not service both transatlantic and cargo outside of government policy. There's a whole other thread for this over on the Cork City forum so its best I stop taking this thread off line I guess :D

That's not the point.

Its not what cork can do, its what cork does do. Which is not T/A and cargo. And it doesn't look like it will for a long time so in the meantime, the next best thing is being able to get to Shannon in an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The motorway could be a good chance create a Cork-Limerick axis to counter balance Dublin's economic dominance. 50 minute travel time between the cities also opens up a far bigger commuter base than before. wouldn't be unfeasible to live on the Northside of Cork City and work in Limerick.

It's more than flights.
    I travel to Cork regularly for business, and am always fearful on the dangerous road. These cities need a motorway. I remember once heading to Cork with 2 American clients, and Cork people heading to Limerick for a rugby match and it was an embarrassment the tailbacks against us were so long in places like Charleville and buttevant.

I emailed Sean Sherlock looking for more information. I'd love not to get waffle off him but my hopes aren't too high.

I'd disagree and say that the Echo are underestimating the time savings. I did Limerick to Cork in November, during the middle of the day (not rush hour or anything) and it took 2 hours. The next time I will chance N24 -> road to Mitchelstown -> M8, however that has the minor issue of Dunkettle.

Hopefully the election will make some start to it anyway. This kind of craic on an interurban these days is unbelievable

https://twitter.com/228lb/status/374839293014843392.

This really should be used against any opposition to the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

This really should be used against any opposition to the motorway.

I know that spot & there's also at least two similar locations between Charleville & Buttevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

The whole interaction of the M8 / N24 bypass / old N8 bypass is shockingly confusing. Really should have been thought through a bit better when being built.

Saying that, the whole N25 / M9 / N24 setup outside of Waterford City is beyond stupid too.

Both were built with subsequent N24 schemes in mind, HAD (!) they both been built they would have made total sense! :D

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n24-mooncoin-bypass-(west/

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n24-pallasgreen-to-cahir-/

• Advertisement

nordydan wrote: »
    Both were built with subsequent N24 schemes in mind, HAD (!) they both been built they would have made total sense! :D

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n24-mooncoin-bypass-(west/

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n24-pallasgreen-to-cahir-/

But instead we are left with this bollox of a road.

Advertisement