Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think a solid white line down the middle of the road prohibits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Isambard wrote: »
    I've still not seen one vehicle do this and under what Law is it illegal? There are side turnings north and south where this could be performed safely and even on the main line it wouldn't actually be dangerous or illegal if care was taken.

As for special treatment for this junction with a speed limit, there are many worse and as bad junctions where this isn't done. There are as I've noted junctions north and south to access cross country routes which would add 10 seconds or so to the journey of those traditionalists, why would you delay the other 99.9% of drivers on an already over-loaded and dangerous road?

So you know the area, could you expand on which alternative route would add 10 seconds or so to the journey of those traditionalists and by traditionalists I assume you are referring to the local population who are discommoded.
    If the N20 is already over-loaded and dangerous road perhaps the existing 100km/h is inappropriate and should be reduced until the capacity issue is resolved.

I think a solid white line down the middle of the road prohibits it.
    Of course, it'sprohibited to drive across a continuous white line for any reason except in an emergency or access to a property or premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Of course, it'sprohibited to drive across a continuous white line for any reason except in an emergency or access to a property or premises.

Unless there is a break in the solid white line it is not allowed to access a property or premises across from it. As far as i know you need to continue and find a safe place to turn around to access it from the other direction.

Slava Ukrainii

Unless there is a break in the solid white line it is not allowed to access a property or premises across from it. As far as i know you need to continue and find a safe place to turn around to access it from the other direction.

See page 73 (71) HERE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

niloc1951 wrote: »
    So you know the area, could you expand on which alternative route would add 10 seconds or so to the journey of those traditionalists and by traditionalists I assume you are referring to the local population who are discommoded.
    If the N20 is already over-loaded and dangerous road perhaps the existing 100km/h is inappropriate and should be reduced until the capacity issue is resolved.

well I assume that would be the route you are using currently. Northbound you'd turn left on to the N20 and then right on to the local roads . Southbound you'd use the road junction just south of the Waterloo junction to turn right on to the N20 and then left for Waterloo.

Complete Limerick to Foynes (Adare bypass)is gone to planning stage it will be done as one project.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Complete Limerick to Foynes (Adare bypass)is gone to planning stage it will be done as one project.

It already has it's own thread ans was always being done as one project.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Baldilocks

Hmm, a project here, a project there, is that an election I see on the horizon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Baldilocks wrote: »

Adare being done due to the Ryder Cup, the rest might well be electioneering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Baldilocks wrote: »
    Indeed. If Cork East had better representation, the M20 would have been finished by now. FGs David Stanton has been one of the TDs there for over 20 years, and FFs O'Keefe dynasty (current TD Kevin and his father Ned) have represented the constituency since 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Another N20 crash and road closure:
    Elderly woman fighting for her life after Cork accident

A WOMAN in her early 90s is fighting for her life after an accident this afternoon.

The woman's car was in a collision with a lorry on the N20, between Mallow and Newtwopothouse at lunchtime.

She has been rushed to Cork University Hospital.

The driver of the lorry was not injured.

The road has been closed and local diversions are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Adare being done due to the Ryder Cup, the rest might well be electioneering

Adare is not being done due to the Ryder Cup, that is nonsense.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Adare is not being done due to the Ryder Cup, that is nonsense.

It's being fast tracked, maybe i didn't word it correctly but you get the idea.

It's being fast tracked, maybe i didn't word it correctly but you get the idea.

It’s not being fast tracked either.

It’s not being fast tracked either.

No worries Pete, Good night.

No worries Pete, Good night.

It was in progress long before the Ryder Cup was announced and went to ABP several months after after considerable delay including waiting around for Ross to bring it to Cabinet for sign off. There was nothing fast track about it and the Ryder Cup announcement didn't see things move any faster.

It it not an Adare bypass it is an access road to Foynes port and the route chosen bypasses Adare. It's an EU funded project and was in doubt 6-12 months ago as NBP and CH was sucking so much money for the next 5-8 years. The Ryder cub gas fast tracked it by 12-18 months. If EU funding was to be drawn down it had to be completed by 2025 I think.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

It it not an Adare bypass it is an access road to Foynes port and the route chosen bypasses Adare. It's an EU funded project and was in doubt 6-12 months ago as NBP and CH was sucking so much money for the next 5-8 years. The Ryder cub gas fast tracked it by 12-18 months. If EU funding was to be drawn down it had to be completed by 2025 I think.

2030 is the target for a Core TEN-T road.

• Advertisement

Just stop. The port connection is required as part of the Ten-T network and EU funding is available for that. EU funding can't be just given over to something else like that so no it was never in doubt. The project is well behind schedule so it absolutely has not been fast tracked and nothing happened since the Ryder Cup announcement to see things move faster. It is just lazy nonsense, which uninformed people love to engage in and hack journalists make their living off, to say the Ryder Cup made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Just stop. The port connection is required as part of the Ten-T network and EU funding is available for that. EU funding can't be just given over to something else like that so no it was never in doubt. The project is well behind schedule so it absolutely has not been fast tracked and nothing happened since the Ryder Cup announcement to see things move faster. It is just lazy nonsense, which uninformed people love to engage in and hack journalists make their living off, to say the Ryder Cup made a difference.

You can't deny it's an easy soundbite though. Just like how its "common knowledge" even amongst journalists that the GAA introduced the black card in response to Sean Cavanagh's rugby tackle.....disregarding the fact the black card was introduced months before said tackle happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Shedite27 wrote: »

I drove from Limerick to Cork and back yesterday. I actually drove past that area where it happened about 10 minutes beforehand. Anyone who says the m20 isn't required needs to get their head checked. It's a disgrace of a road. With the rain yesterday I had to contend with people pulling clean out in front of me, tractors, impatient drivers up behind me, very slow people causing backlogs and the horrible backlogs in charleville. This road needs to be done ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I drove from Limerick to Cork and back yesterday. I actually drove past that area where it happened about 10 minutes beforehand. Anyone who says the m20 isn't required needs to get their head checked. It's a disgrace of a road. With the rain yesterday I had to contend with people pulling clean out in front of me, tractors, impatient drivers up behind me, very slow people causing backlogs and the horrible backlogs in charleville. This road needs to be done ASAP.

That hits the nail on the head.

I drive the round trip Cork-Limerick-Cork twice weekly and it is a dreadful drive. The alternative route via Mitchelstown and then Ballylanders, Hospital and Caherconlish carries less traffic but is an even worse road. On a number of occasions over the last few weeks where the weather demands I’ve actually taken the longer M8/N24 route to stick to trunk roads while avoiding the N20.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

A lot of people avoid the n20 by using the regional roads as soon as the m20 is done ,I think there will be an increase in traffic numbers compared to what is using the n 20 now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

steeler j wrote: »
    A lot of people avoid the n20 by using the regional roads as soon as the m20 is done ,I think there will be an increase in traffic numbers compared to what is using the n 20 now
    Are there really any better regional roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Motorways yes but national roads a lot are not much different

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are some journeys which will be easier via the M20 currently done via regional roads.

For example Cork to west Limerick at present would be via the R522, R515 or R518, but a lot of traffic might switch to the M20 and M21 when complete.

Plenty more examples

I can see the M20 seeing much larger traffic gain than expected due to traffic using lesser routes at present all converging on the M20. Most of the time I go to Limerick from Cork I go via the M8, with exceptions if going to Dooradoyle or Raheen. I would switch to the M20 in all circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

marno21 wrote: »
    There are some journeys which will be easier via the M20 currently done via regional roads.

For example Cork to west Limerick at present would be via the R522, R515 or R518, but a lot of traffic might switch to the M20 and M21 when complete.

Plenty more examples

I can see the M20 seeing much larger traffic gain than expected due to traffic using lesser routes at present all converging on the M20. Most of the time I go to Limerick from Cork I go via the M8, with exceptions if going to Dooradoyle or Raheen. I would switch to the M20 in all circumstances

Do u go cross country ?? wouldnt be just as long though as going the normal

Advertisement