Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

maybe he should have replaced "roads" with "houses", from the sound of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Well it looks like the opening ceremony for Waterford-Danesfort is going to be at 11am next Monday...followed by refreshments in Carroll's Knocktopher.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2944671&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=10150150711115179&id=1107070069

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=10150150711115179

Unfortuently for Mr.Dempsey, as you can see from that Facebook group, a protest looks to be planned in connection with the downgrading of the Waterford Airport Coastguard Helicopter base by the Department of Transport. In a way its ironic that another M9 opening is potentially going to bring Dempsey hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons.:rolleyes:

Did the 'official' opening of Carlow-Kilcullen scheduled for January ever actually take place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

If it did it was at night and in secret. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

The Athy link isnt finished yet, i presume they will wait for full completion before taking any official pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Wild Bill wrote: »
    When they started to slash the infrastructure programme last year Dempsey said "we can't just keep building roads for the sake of it".

I guess if that's what he thought he was doing we need look no further to see why the economy is in a mess. :(

Ridiculous..He was, of course, right..Why build roads that encourage people to drive everywhere and to make a pretty looking map. Billions spent on motorways from nowhere to nowhere, 695 million spent on some little trams for dublin...If we had spent half the amount on rail as we have on roads, we'd have a model public transport system...Both Urban and intra-urban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

eia340600 wrote: »
    Ridiculous..He was, of course, right..Why build roads that encourage people to drive everywhere and to make a pretty looking map. Billions spent on motorways from nowhere to nowhere, 695 million spent on some little trams for dublin...If we had spent half the amount on rail as we have on roads, we'd have a model public transport system...Both Urban and intra-urban.

Not wishing to go OT but much as I prefer rail based public transport in countries like Germany and Switzerland we simply don't have the population density (or crossroads of a continent factor) to support good road AND rail networks.

Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast aside public transport cannot have a high frequency rail service.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We'd have a model public transport system and extremely strangled industy and commerce.

We HAD to get the MIUs built, end of. No two ways about it.

Irish Rail don't want to do rail freight in the first place and its completely impractical for many things. The presence of slow freight trains on commuter lines also completly destroys timings and speed.

Costs for companies doing on-site sales or service have plummeted - when I started in my current job in 2007 a trip to Galway or Cork was a full day affair, hotel, overnight allowances, the works. Now they're day trips.

We've spent millions on a train line from actual nowhere to nowhere (Ennis to Athenry), yet every single recent motorway connects a city to a city except the M3; so I've no idea where you're getting your delusion of "motorways from nowhere to nowhere" from.

THis should be of interest to any cyclists.From the latest Kilkenny People.

MONDAY will be the last morning that commuters in South Kilkenny will have to use the old N9/N10 road to get to Waterford because the new section of motorway from Knocktopher to Waterford opens just before lunchtime.
    The official opening of this stretch of the M9 motorway will be at 11am at the new Knocktopher junction, which is not far from where the N9 and N10 meet. The new motorway also has junctions at Mullinavat and Waterford.

The new dual-carriageway will be a welcome change for drivers as it reduces travelling times to and from Waterford. The new section of road is another link on the motorway which will connect Dublin and Waterford by the end of this year. The new route also incorporates a link to Kilkenny city.
    Meanwhile, cycling enthusiasts will travel the new road before it opens to traffic. The County Council, who will take charge of the route officially on Friday, have agreed to allow a charity fund raising event for the Irish Hospice Foundation to be held on the road.
    The charity cycle will be held on Sunday from Danesfort to Waterford and back. Cycling enthusiasts, Sean Breathnach and Martin O'Neill, who are training for a charity run from Dublin to Geneva in the Summer, have organised the event for their favourite charity.
    The pair have invited all with a bit of experience in cycling to join them. Registration will be held between 11 and 11.30am, when the cyclists will head off together. People taking part will be invited to make a contribution of 20 Euro to the charity.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-to-open-on-Monday.6156455.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

I have a problem sitting beside or near knackers, or being anywhere in their vicinity. Thats a good reason why I prefer my car anyday to public transport. It only has to happen once in a blue moon for me to feel that way. (no doubt I'll be asked to define a "knacker", so, before anyone asks, I'm not going to answer. I'm sure you already know)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Eh...no. He was daft. Firstly the figures are wrong. Secondly, it's the railways that go from nowhere to nowhere-that-folk-actually-want-to-go!

If we had spent half the amount on rail as we had on roads we'd have twice the number of virtually unused railway lines we do now.

And to top it all those "little trams" in Dublin are jam packed at near capacity - unlike the rail lines to Mayo, Ennis, Waterford, Kerry and all the other total wastes of resources we have simply to pander to folk who wish the real world was other than it actually is.

We had a rail network. It died and was largely closed down. Because outside the Dublin Commuter zone and Cork-Dublin mainline they were of no value whatever to society. Most of them attracted their heaviest traffic in 100 years on the days they were close down amid the tears of people who otherwise never used them.

But nostalgia ain't a viable policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

The ring road in Kilkenny is being painted this morning (Fri 19th March). The Statestreet roundabout and the Bennetsbridge roundabout are now similar to the Dublin road roundabout in that they have two lanes in either direction. This should really help with traffic flow. Unfortunately the Waterford roundabout was not part of this upgrade.

The timing is good with the opening of the southern section of the M9 Motorway on Monday.

It will be interesting to see how the Kilkenny ring road copes with the anticipated increase in traffic until the final section of the M9 opens later in the Summer??

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

johnbk wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how the Kilkenny ring road copes with the anticipated increase in traffic until the final section of the M9 opens later in the Summer??

Well the changes made at the Dublin Road roundabout made a big difference I think, so I think the change to these two roundabouts will have a positive effect. Certainly the Bennetsbridge roundabout, which used to be a disaster, is going much better these days.

Funny that they didn't do the Waterford Road roundabout while they were at it though. That can get a bit jammed up at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

fricatus wrote: »
    Funny that they didn't do the Waterford Road roundabout while they were at it though. That can get a bit jammed up at times.

They didn't do it because..... it would have made sense..... and in my experience Kilkenny County Council don't do "sensible"!

BTW... How is work on the danesfort to Powerstown section and does anyone know if they will open that section before the Kilkenny spur is completed as when I saw it last week it looked very behind the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

just a quick note on the Athy Link Road, at the Athy End.
    The Roundabout is progressing Nicely.
    it looks like most landscaping has been completed,
    road signs are in place.
    they have started to tie the existing road into the new roundabout.
    I think there is one layer of Mr T-Mac left to place on the roundabout.
    then lining.
    and we should be away.
    definately should be finished before the delayed May date given recently.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

The ring road in Kilkenny is being painted this morning (Fri 19th March). The Statestreet roundabout and the Bennetsbridge roundabout are now similar to the Dublin road roundabout in that they have two lanes in either direction. This should really help with traffic flow. Unfortunately the Waterford roundabout was not part of this upgrade.

The timing is good with the opening of the southern section of the M9 Motorway on Monday.

I have to say I thought that was very odd when I was driving past it yesterday. The vast majority of increased traffic will be entering the ring-road at the Waterford round about and leaving at the Dublin, yet they saw fit not to upgrade the Waterford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

The finishing of the ring road means that the 22nd opening date makes more sense but I am still of the opinion that we should open motorways as soon as they are finished and not when the ceremony can be organised.

BTW - just an aside - I found it interesting that you named the Loughboy roundabout "Statestreet" and not "Glanbia" it being one of KK's biggest companies and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

probably a bite late.
    but i drove this from dublin as far as carlow south last night.
    i must say im very impressed with the road so far.

looking forward to the completion of the entire stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

dougal wrote: »
    The finishing of the ring road means that the 22nd opening date makes more sense but I am still of the opinion that we should open motorways as soon as they are finished and not when the ceremony can be organised.

BTW - just an aside - I found it interesting that you named the Loughboy roundabout "Statestreet" and not "Glanbia" it being one of KK's biggest companies and all.

Nobody can pronounce or spell the correct name as their too careful negotiating the roundabout to learn:)
    From a personal point of view if they dont make it easy then I couldnt be bothered:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dougal wrote: »

That roundabout is sponsored by State Street - their name is up on it and everything. "Bohernatounish" is just too hard to spell right anyway... :D

State Street is one of KK's biggest employers - there are about 400 people working there. Dunno how many work in Glanbia...

fricatus wrote: »
    That roundabout is sponsored by State Street - their name is up on it and everything. "Bohernatounish" is just too hard to spell right anyway... :D

I really need to be more observant - I have never seen either of those names.
    I just assumed it was Loughboy roundabout. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kieranb07

Kilkenny - On Mon, March 22nd at 11am, Phase 2 of the M9 Kilcullen to Waterford scheme will open between Waterford and Knocktopher ico_map.gifsp01.gif
    Updated: 19/03/2010 21:51:45
    The road will be opened by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey T.D. To get to the opening ceremony, motorists should proceed on the M9 Motorway to the end of Carlow Bypass then take the N9 via the towns of Paulstown, Gowran and Thomastown. Continue south for approx 8kms on the N9 and then take the R699 to reach Knocktopher village. Then proceed along the R699 again west of Knocktopher (signposted for Hugginstown) to reach the ceremony site approx 2kms from the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kieranb07

Drove on the ring road there today and some of the roadlinings seem pretty weird to me,
    going from the statestreet RA (the learn to use your indicators RA as i know it wink.gif) the 2 lanes go into 1 lane for say 10meters and then back into 2 lanes before the Bennitsbridge RA... and then it does it again after the BB-RA when your crossing the bridge over the Nore. WHY??
    Its going to cause an accident with the ways some of the nutters drive on the RRoad..
    anyone else notice this?? confused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

kieranb07 wrote: »
    Drove on the ring road there today and some of the roadlinings seem pretty weird to me,
    going from the statestreet RA (the learn to use your indicators RA as i know it wink.gif) the 2 lanes go into 1 lane for say 10meters and then back into 2 lanes before the Bennitsbridge RA... and then it does it again after the BB-RA when your crossing the bridge over the Nore. WHY??
    Its going to cause an accident with the ways some of the nutters drive on the RRoad..
    anyone else notice this?? confused.gif

A sharp reminder its not dual carrigeway.
    Dont know why it wasn't dual carrigeway,plenty of width even with the overwide cycle lane/footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

Maybe I missed something but I though that what was opening on Monday was Waterford to Danesfort. Can anybody clarify ?

Maybe I missed something but I though that what was opening on Monday was Waterford to Danesfort. Can anybody clarify ?
    Yes opening from Waterford to Danesfort.
    Officially though the scheme opening is the phase 2 Waterford to Knocktopher which is why the ceremony is in Knocktopher.
    Part of phase 3 - Knocktopher to Danesfort will also open Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cycled the new Danesford - Granny section of the M9 today. Seems to have been a good quality job. Noticed that the main line does not have any street lighting at the junctions which is unusual compaired to other simular schemes. (I think this is no bad thing).

Will be interesting to see what the best route between Dub and Waterford will be to take until the Danesford/Powerstown section is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quite a few recent schemes have no lighting on the mainline through junctions. The UK is even turning off lighting during non-peak hours of darkness now, it really is quite wasteful of energy on motorways / properly grade and median seperated DCs

alentejo wrote: »
    Cycled the new Danesford - Granny section of the M9 today. Seems to have been a good quality job. Noticed that the main line does not have any street lighting at the junctions which is unusual compaired to other simular schemes. (I think this is no bad thing).

Did the same trip today myself. Theres only very minor differences between the two schemes from what I could see. The bulging bridges seem to be a feature of all the Roadbridge built flyovers north of Knocktopher. Apart from that, the landscaping on the Roadbridge end looks like its had more time to bed in compared with a lot of Bam's landscaping which is still looking very newly done. Things like River Signage is missing from the BAM section but in place for Roadbridge.

Will be interesting to see what the best route between Dub and Waterford will be to take until the Danesford/Powerstown section is complete
    Until today I would have said via Thomastown but noticed that with Knocktopher being 2km from the Motorway junction you would probably easily be at Danesfort by the time you get back on the old N9. It seems such a more straightforward route via Kilkenny by avoiding the awful sections of old N9 between Jerpoint Abbey and Gowran too. It will be interesting to start hearing some timings from tomorrow of Waterford-Paulstown via Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

I've never been so looking forward to a section of road opening. I will be taking this road tomorrow evening on the way home.

• Advertisement

Just a couple of quick pics I grabbed today, quality isen't great.
    This is at Danesfort looking south, just as you enter the M9
    4452087982_a231817cf0_b.jpg
    The reverse view,looking north at the N10 junction.
    4451309153_346af7b261_o.jpg
    On the approach to Knocktopher with the junction itself just visible in the distance and the road winding on to Waterford.
    4452091456_7407f9092e_b.jpg
    Just on the commemortive plaque at Knocktopher I noticed it referring to phase 2 , Waterford-Kilcullen. I presume Carlow-Kilcullen was phase 3??
    4452096926_7171eb884b_b.jpg

Kind of hard to believe after all the delays and watching it being built for the past few years that its actually going to open tomorrow. It really is about as far from the old route in design terms as you could imagine. Its just a pity Ireland's biggest cycle lane closes today too!!
    Although the Waterford bypass and Suir bridge look the part, I really feel it will be this scheme that will have the largest positve effect on the south east over the years to come. There's been too many stories of potential investors in Waterford turning back to Dublin at Thomastown over the years. Hopefully it will allow the the re-birth of the by-passed villages on the route over time also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement