Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options
19495969798100»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

mackerski wrote: »
    Prior to the opening of the road, OSM had benefitted from some sneaky surveys, at a time when there was not yet any separation evident in the N10 spur (sob) as it passed under the M9 mainline (I assume that's the location you mean). This was corrected on the map yesterday, and should filter down to published Garmin maps soon enough, depending how frequently they are generated.

Is there any other location where you don't see what you would expect?

I update my Garmin 200w every month from that sight using the MAPUPLOAD application, so its probably a few weeks out of date. Funnily it followed the U/C route when forced onto it. Basically it advised turning off at J9 and at every junction from there to J6, but only via the offlsip-onslip i.e. the road through the junction was incomplete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

If you were travelling to Clonmel from Dublin, would you use the M8 & turn off at cashel or cahir or would you use the M9 if the M9 what turn offs would you take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Nuttzz wrote: »
    If you were travelling to Clonmel from Dublin, would you use the M8 & turn off at cashel or cahir or would you use the M9 if the M9 what turn offs would you take?

This is something I'd like to test. If we could get a volunteer who would meet me in Clonmel some day and we'd both set off for Dublin, him on the N76/N10/M9/M7, and me on the N24/M8/M7, both obeying speed limits, we'd see which route is faster. It should be the M9 route I suppose, but the N76 makes it a rather uncertain journey time-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Furet wrote: »
    This is something I'd like to test. If we could get a volunteer who would meet me in Clonmel some day and we'd both set off for Dublin, him on the N76/N10/M9/M7, and me on the N24/M8/M7, both obeying speed limits, we'd see which route is faster. It should be the M9 route I suppose, but the N76 makes it a rather uncertain journey time-wise.

And of course the thrify Clonmellion would know that the M9 route is untolled. Still its hard top argue with the other route in terms of safety and quickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Furet wrote: »

If I were going from Clonmel I wouldn't take the N76/N10 to get to M9 (J8). Instead I'd go the N24 to Carrick and then the R697/R701 to get to the M9 at Knocktopher (J10). Yes the R roads are smaller but not that much worse than the N76 in my opinion and there is far less traffic on these roads. It would also seem like to be a shorter distance to go that way although I can't prove that.

There is also the fact the the M9 isn't tolled so whatever about a faster route its definitely a cheaper route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nuttzz wrote: »

I think you can also come off at Danefort on the M9 and go cross country for a bit to meet the N76 a few miles north of Callan. I guess you would need local knowledge but I think it could be fairly straightforward. The N76 is not too bad of a road for much of it. It is good and wide in many areas. Far better than the old N9/10 south of Kilkenny ever was anyhow!!

Just as an aside back in 2000 when the Waterfrod route was being planned M9 vs M11, Clonmel Corporation (as it was then) was one of the signatories to the petition to bring the route via N/M9 so it is obvious the M9 is of big benefit to Clonmel and South Tipp in general too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

The Danesfort entry/exit is 15km from Callan.

The safest route to it is keep on the N76 Kilkenny road pass Duggan Steel on left and (you could take the 1st turnoff to right but nasty bend further on) take the second turn to the right (not signposted but has a big tree in the middle of the junction - known locally as the lime tree) straight on up that road you come to a junction with a beautiful period house straight across the road keep left here and straight on to next four cross roads, staight on here on up to Danesfort T Junction, take a right here and the roundabout is just ahead of you.

(If you take the 1st Right after Duggan Steel after you go around a very dangerous & narrow bend the same period house will be on your right hand side)

Safe Journey

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Link on Kilkenny co co about opening of last section of M9.Link to brochure not working.Note the large lettering of Noel Dempsey's name on the official plaque.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/M9_Carlow_to_Knocktopher_Official_Opening.18126.shortcut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

clon wrote: »
    Link on Kilkenny co co about opening of last section of M9.Link to brochure not working.Note the large lettering of Noel Dempsey's name on the official plaque.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/M9_Carlow_to_Knocktopher_Official_Opening.18126.shortcut.html

saw that yesterday too - I like the picture of the Bridge over Kings River further down in the page

Edit: Just send Kilkenny Co Co an e-mail reporting the broken link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In Germany you can only learn to drive with a driving school and they have to teach you to drive on the Autobahn. Also the Police are pretty strict about enforcing the rules on the Autobahn although tailgating is a problem as said by Furet.

Driving on the Left lane (Right in Ireland) when the other lane is free is a big no no. People think you look like an idiot doing it,and will tell you if they are in the car with you ;). I think the rule is that you have 20 seconds to pull over into the next free lane on the right (left for ireland) when there is no traffic in it, after that the Police can pull you over.
    Requiring it to be a driving school is overengineered and would pointlessly put all the lone trader driving instructors out of business. We don't need to gut the whole system, we just need to add the parts that are missing:

- Mandatory certification for driving instructors
    - Minimum number of hours (I think they're doing this now?)
    - Mandatory motorway/dual carriageway experience - even in the future we won't have enough motorway nationwide to make driving on one mandatory; DC experience should be fine - it's still the same principles: keeping left, indicating to change lane, entering, exiting, etc.

As for people in the car telling you you look silly, I'm always amazed at the number of Boardsies that quote behaviour and practice in Germany - as if we had anything in common with them. The character of the Irish means that we'll never be as obsessive about the rules of life as they are - and rightly so, it's greatly excessive.

Let's aim to maintain our national character while keeping it within the parameters we set for ourselves, i.e. enforce our own laws. A boardsie said recently that Ireland is a land of unenforced laws. This is true and needs to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

spacetweek wrote: »
    As for people in the car telling you you look silly, I'm always amazed at the number of Boardsies that quote behaviour and practice in Germany - as if we had anything in common with them

That doesn't come across very nice. I refer to Germany cos I live there. And allot of Irish people live in Germany. Everyone assumes people only emigrate to English speaking countries.

There are allot of stereotypes in this world. And allot of them are b!§§$%&/t. Just because I'm Irish doesn't mean I'm mad and an alcoholic and like to sing and dance.

As for having nothing in common, .... maybe in your world we can only relate to countries that speak english.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Hello everybody it’s just great to see the M9 finished to completion and to such a high standard of Engineering thanks to all the contributors on this thread it was surely one of the most constructive and informative on boards special mention to all those who took the time and effort to keep us up to date with some great photos.

Travelling from Wexford to Dublin tomorrow even though it will add a few kms to the trip can’t resist useing the M9 from Waterford.

Can anyone tell me in order to cross the new bridge etc. do I take the N25 from Wexford to Waterford and get to the Mw there?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Setanta_og wrote: »
    Hello everybody it’s just great to see the M9 finished to completion and to such a high standard of Engineering thanks to all the contributors on this thread it was surely one of the most constructive and informative on boards special mention to all those who took the time and effort to keep us up to date with some great photos.

Travelling from Wexford to Dublin tomorrow even though it will add a few kms to the trip can’t resist useing the M9 from Waterford.

Can anyone tell me in order to cross the new bridge etc. do I take the N25 from Wexford to Waterford and get to the Mw there?:)

The most direct way to the M9 from New Ross would be to go to Mullinivat, it's a scenic but twisty road.

Of course if you want to see the entire M9 and also the N25 Waterford Bridge then keep on the N25 through New Ross to Waterford.

You don't need to cross the N25 Waterford Bridge in order to get to the M9... I'm assuming you want to cross the bridge just to see it? If so you'll have to pay the toll. You could cut through the city and cross back using the new bridge, thereby having to pay the toll just once.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

NedNew2 wrote: »
    The most direct way to the M9 from New Ross would be to go to Mullinivat, it's a scenic but twisty road.

Of course if you want to see the entire M9 and also the N25 Waterford Bridge then keep on the N25 through New Ross to Waterford.

You don't need to cross the N25 Waterford Bridge in order to get to the M9... I'm assuming you want to cross the bridge just to see it? If so you'll have to pay the toll. You could cut through the city and cross back using the new bridge, thereby having to pay the toll just once.

Thanks Ned lovely hurling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That doesn't come across very nice. I refer to Germany cos I live there. And allot of Irish people live in Germany. Everyone assumes people only emigrate to English speaking countries.

There are allot of stereotypes in this world. And allot of them are b!§§$%&/t. Just because I'm Irish doesn't mean I'm mad and an alcoholic and like to sing and dance.

As for having nothing in common, .... maybe in your world we can only relate to countries that speak english.
    I can see you live in Germany. It says it right there on your post; I noticed as I was posting. This has nothing to do with speaking English.

I'm not a mad alcoholic either. I've been to Germany at least 6 times. And I know many Germans living in Ireland. There are plenty of great things about Germany. One thing the Irish *never* have in common with Germans though is an obsession with silly little rules for every situation which are ruthlessly enforced. It's not in our culture to do that and you discredit lawmaking in general when you create unenforceable laws.

We cannot copy Germany wholesale. We need to devise our own rules appropriate for our culture and figure out how to enforce them effectively.

Speed cams can take care of the speeding and a combination of improved driving tests and active patrols is enough for the bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

OK Page 200 reached at last - Maybe we can lock this thread and create a new one for discussing it as open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I can see you live in Germany. It says it right there on your post; I noticed as I was posting. This has nothing to do with speaking English.

I'm not a mad alcoholic either. I've been to Germany at least 6 times. And I know many Germans living in Ireland. There are plenty of great things about Germany. One thing the Irish *never* have in common with Germans though is an obsession with silly little rules for every situation which are ruthlessly enforced. It's not in our culture to do that and you discredit lawmaking in general when you create unenforceable laws.

We cannot copy Germany wholesale. We need to devise our own rules appropriate for our culture and figure out how to enforce them effectively.

Speed cams can take care of the speeding and a combination of improved driving tests and active patrols is enough for the bad driving.

Post of the day. QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Well maybe enforcing laws that exist would be a start. In Ireland enforcement of laws is a problem. If you aren't going to enforce them then why have them. Anyway, all cultures learn from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Time to lock this thread. Brilliant discussion over the past two years on M9 construction. Feel free to pick it up here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement