Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Hi All

I'm from Derry originally now living in Dungarvan. Couldnt believe the development on the road since my last trip on it this time last year.

Its a very long thread but am I right in saying the final section from Kilkenny to Waterford (dont know exact areas/roads) will be operational/open at the end of March (22nd)

This would make my biannual trips up North heaven instead of hell! Never mind all the visitors coming my direction!!!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

sean72 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm from Derry originally now living in Dungarvan. Couldnt believe the development on the road since my last trip on it this time last year.

Its a very long thread but am I right in saying the final section from Kilkenny to Waterford (dont know exact areas/roads) will be operational/open at the end of March (22nd)

This would make my biannual trips up North heaven instead of hell! Never mind all the visitors coming my direction!!!

Thanks in advance

No.. there will still be one section (Kilkenny to Carlow) remaining to be opened - hopefully before end of this summer(2010)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

Trying to keep this live as I started posting on boards after motivated to do by the great campaign to get the Carlow bypass open.

Should we agree a trigger to start an email campaign - is that trigger the safety audit completion (don't worry about the cert - if it passes then that's our cue).

Any idea how we might know this???

When we do then let's share the email targets:
    - politicians
    - media:dempsey doesnt need a joe duffy follow up to the Carlow story right now!:rolleyes:
    - NRA, AA, Kilcoco, etc.

Let's get ready to rumble....again!!!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got another call today about this road. Another engineer stating that the road will be completed by March 8th and will be "safe to drive". He blames the minister for the delay.

lotie wrote: »
    Trying to keep this live as I started posting on boards after motivated to do by the great campaign to get the Carlow bypass open.

Should we agree a trigger to start an email campaign - is that trigger the safety audit completion (don't worry about the cert - if it passes then that's our cue).

- politicians
    - media:dempsey doesnt need a joe duffy follow up to the Carlow story right now!:rolleyes:
    - NRA, AA, Kilcoco, etc.

Sully wrote: »
    Got another call today about this road. Another engineer stating that the road will be completed by March 8th and will be "safe to drive". He blames the minister for the delay.

March 8th it is then

Dempsey the Forget Paddy's Week Jaunt and open the Road - any death over this period will be on your hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

Bards wrote: »
    March 8th it is then

Dempsey the Forget Paddy's Week Jaunt and open the Road - any death over this period will be on your hands

I wouldn't be surprised id Dempsey told the NRA to keep their mouths shut regarding any new scheme being fit to open after the Kilcullen-Carlow episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Surely if engineers on the scheme feel the road is ready to go on March 8th and presuming the safety audit has been done at that stage then there is no plausible reason why it should remain closed for another 2 weeks!

It does sound a bit fishy that several weeks back March 8th was touted as the opening date and that obviously seemed to be the timescale BAM was following.
    lotie wrote: »

- politicians
    - NRA, AA, Kilcoco, etc.

Since we dont seem to know for certain if the safety audit has been passed, going to the media without that info could compromise any complaint if the KCC/NRA/BAM or whoever can easily rebuttle it.

However at this stage contacting all the relevant politicians, expressing our fears for the opening date, the deadly state of the current N9, and the rumours surrounding the delay is certainly a good way to get the ball rolling. We can leave it to them for a couple of days to dig a bit deeper into what the facts actually are. Thats just my 2 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dempsey goes on a foreign junket and refuses to open yet another Motorway for the South East until he comes back.

What a surprise after the christmas present he gave everybody.

EVERYBODY get onto the same local TDs and Radio stations as last time and to press for their road to open in time.

This road, Kilkenny - Waterford will be ready to rock on Thursday the 11th of March before the holiday traffic starts.

It is up to the people of the south east to ensure they get their road open, even if it does not suit Dempsey.

Tell Dempsey not to bother coming back and to stay in Ulan Bator or wherever he finds himself and his missus junketing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tell Dempsey not to bother coming back and to stay in Ulan Bator or wherever he finds himself and his missus junketing this year.

I think you'll find the lesser spotted Fianna Fail minster generally flies south in the winter.

Heres a bit of an overview of how complete the first 16km of Waterford-Knocktopher section is looking this weekend. I tried to grab a pic of anything that could potentially be on a snag list that could justifiably delay opening until March 22nd...but theres very little to report! The entire section is 99.9% done from what I can see. Even though I dident see the last 8km into Knocktopher I doubt there is much difference.

Firstly the 2 Garda only ramps between Waterford and Mullinavat are needing some kerb fitted and the appropiate sign.
    4392145431_581ac0a2b4_b.jpg
    Just south of J11 Mullinavat, about a 50m section of fenceing is missing.
    4392922522_6f57242aac_b.jpg
    Just north of the completed Mullinavat junction some final landscaping is being done.
    4392925834_7946b13456_b.jpg
    Northbound lay-by, about 2km north of Mullinvat...complete apart from a lay-by sign.
    4392158069_7394d8a52c_b.jpg
    2 weeks ago, the Lukeswell bridge over the current N9 was the piece requireing the most work. This is now fully done, complete with lining, cats-eyes, wall reflectors etc.
    4392165469_8c28e406eb_b.jpg
    4392173313_95c6521925_b.jpg
    Completed expansion joint.
    4392952016_56e7c8f66f.jpg
    And for old times sake-arguably the worst stretch of N9 passing underneath.
    4392958210_acb6b7046c.jpg
    For the first 16km from Waterford at the very least, the road is all but done. Landscaping is now actually looking very good also. Cats eyes, wall reflectors and lining is now complete. Apart from the pics, all I could find missing was a gate, and about 1ft of end barrier at the Dunkitt N9 crosssover, some more signage for speed limits and rivers along the route and finish off 2 what look like road temperature/traffic counting machines at either side of Mullinavat. Theres also plenty of bits and pieces of timber and barrels to clear away but realistically all that is needed to solve that it a few lads in a pick up truck! Really cant imagine how this could potentially take 24 more days. Given the progress in recent weeks I'd doubt myself if there will be even any work outstanding by next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Let the Minister or any other national/local/government/opposition politician pose for their photos and claim all the credit whenever they like but if its ready open it now. They can do the "official opening" at any time they like on one of the exits or over bridges. It happens all the time with other things eg hotels are open for ages before their "official opening". I am lookin forward to this piece of road the most with the M7 a close second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I just contacted my local FF TD to pass this message on to Minister Dempsey:

"Regarding the M9, let me set the record straight - there is no need for any ministerial attendance until an entire motorway is complete - such as the entire M9 from Kilcullen to Waterford. For individual sections like Waterford to Danesford, just get the road certified and pull away the barriers - this country can no longer afford a party every time a piece of tarmac opens. I understand that an engineer in connection with the M9 says the road (Waterford to Danesford) will be ready for March 8th. If this is correct, it seems that lives are unnecessarily being put at risk by forcing N9 traffic to remain on the old road till March 22nd. Just open the road!"

Hopefully, this nonsense in connection with yet another section of the M9 will be rebuffed by the public, just like what happened with the delay surrounding the Kilcullen to Carlow section.

Regards!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dempsey goes on a foreign junket and refuses to open yet another Motorway for the South East until he comes back.

What a surprise after the christmas present he gave everybody.

EVERYBODY get onto the same local TDs and Radio stations as last time and to press for their road to open in time.

This road, Kilkenny - Waterford will be ready to rock on Thursday the 11th of March before the holiday traffic starts.

It is up to the people of the south east to ensure they get their road open, even if it does not suit Dempsey.

Just done that mate! :)

According to Sully, an engineer said the road would be ready by March 8th, and the photos from alpha2zulu would seem to suggest that. In any case we, as members of the public, need to turn up the heat on Dempsey! :mad:

Regards!

Interesting! :mad:

Thanks for the info Sully!

Regards!

Just to save people a lot of googling, heres the emails of several of our elected public representatives from Carlow/Kilkenny and Waterford. Taken from some of the posts on this thread during the Carlow-Kilcullen debacle before Christmas.

bobby.aylward@oireachtas.ie
    john.deasy@oireachtas.ie
    philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie
    john.mcguinness@oireachtas.ie
    mj.nolan@oireachtas.ie
    ministersoffice@dast.gov.ie (Minister Cullen)
    marya.white@oireachtas.ie

philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie

So Minister, open this road by March 11th...
    4394453517_44f568ba96_b.jpg

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Just to save people a lot of googling, heres the emails of several of our elected public representatives from Carlow/Kilkenny and Waterford.

Dont forget

1. Local councillors in Waterford ( CITY and County)
    2. Local councillors in Kilkenny.

Also make sure you inform programmes like Lunchtime with Eamon Keane on Newstalk, he chased Dempsey and Power over the Kilcullen gombeenery at christmas.

Tell Eamonn keane who the councillors and TDs are who want the road opened on the 11th ....and of course their contact details....and let him contact them and interview them.

Then let Dempsey explain himself .... yet again :( Also note these email addresses

Media
    newsdesk@irishtimes.com
    Matt Cooper - thelastword@todayfm.com
    Mary Wilson - drivetime@rte.ie
    George Hook - therighthook@newstalk.ie
    Eamonn Keane - lunchtime@newstalk.ie
    Vincent Browne - vincent@browne.it
    morningireland@rte.ie
    breakfast@newstalk.ie
    todaypk@rte.ie
    twitter.com/morning_ireland
    joe@rte.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

No cats eyes yet in the photo at the top of this page.

Furet wrote: »
    No cats eyes yet in the photo at the top of this page.

Is it left out because that area is under streetlights perhaps? Either way theres still plenty of time to get them down.Just looking at johnbk's pics from a few weeks back and by that sign in the distance there are definetly cats eyes down.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40914919@N02/4356224651/

From that point as far as past Lukeswell (around 16km away) at the very least, all cats eyes and wall reflectors are now installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't exclude cats eyes under streetlights, in case the lights fail... just hasn't been done yet, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

So Minister, open this road by March 11th...

Why do we want to wait until March 8. If the road is ready it should be open this week - what's wrong with Friday March 5.

• Advertisement

Silverado wrote: »
    Why do we want to wait until March 8. If the road is ready it should be open this week - what's wrong with Friday March 5.

I agree but I was just going on Sully's source saying March 8th and Sponge Bob mentioning March 11th.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64670418&postcount=2079

Whether its paperwork/safety audits or what but there must be something that is holding the project back until one of those dates. Either way the speculation about delaying the opening until March 22nd and post St.Patricks day is the fishy bit of the story.

EDIT: One of the contributors in the Waterford forum posted this link from todays Tribune regarding the Carlow-Kilcullen mess. Its well worth a read but perhaps the most interesting bit regarding the reason for the mooted January opening is:
    Asked for an explanation in the Dáil, the department said it had been a personal choice of Noel Dempsey to have the launch postponed to January.

Ultimately, the Department of Transport, amid public controversy, was forced to bring forward the opening of the €300m motorway to 21 December and the road was officially opened by the minister.
    The department said: "It is understood that it was originally intended to open the project [on] 17 December 2009. However, as this date clashed with a meeting of ministers at the Transport Council in Brussels, the opening was changed to Monday 21 December.
    "The minister for transport considered that given the short notice and proximity to Christmas, an early date in January would be more suitable. This message was conveyed to the NRA."
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/feb/28/whats-good-for-fg-is-bad-for-ff/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'v a number of people looking into this for me, will see what we get back I guess.

I agree but I was just going on Sully's source saying March 8th and Sponge Bob mentioning March 11th.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64670418&postcount=2079

I picked 11 March because it is the thursday before the busy bank holiday traffic starts. It is a good day for it because people can plan their weekend then. It is three days after the road is finished and openable. There should be no further delay.
    EDIT: One of the contributors in the Waterford forum posted this link from todays Tribune regarding the Carlow-Kilcullen mess. Its well worth a read but perhaps the most interesting bit regarding the reason for the mooted January opening is:

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/feb/28/whats-good-for-fg-is-bad-for-ff/

From that article , another of the lies that come so easy to Dempsey.
    Ultimately, the Department of Transport, amid public controversy, was forced to bring forward the opening of the €300m motorway to 21 December and the road was officially opened by the minister.

Carlow-Kilcullen was never officially opened by Dempsey on the 21st December or at any time since. This is just another Noel Dempsey LIE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

i am all for the push to get this road open on the 5th or 8th march.
    this potentially reshuffled minister will get the wrath of emails in his inbox very soon unless he makes an opening in the diary. you would think the muppet would have learned!:)

emfifty wrote: »
    i am all for the push to get this road open on the 5th or 8th march.
    this potentially reshuffled minister will get the wrath of emails in his inbox very soon unless he makes an opening in the diary. you would think the muppet would have learned!:)

who's to say the whole government might not collapse before then. It should be in his and the interest of expendiency for him to open the road ASAP without undue delay

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I cycled all the way from Waterford to the kilkenny exit and back this morning. I can confirm that it is 100% complete and imo safe on the journey up, however, coming back, there seems to be a bit of work to be done yet. Along a few sections the barriers are either not complete or have yet to be started in certain places. There are quite a few sections that have a large drop between the level of the road surface and the land to the left of the hard shoulder, if a car was to go off there, there would be quite a fall.

who's to say the whole government might not collapse before then. It should be in his and the interest of expendiency for him to open the road ASAP without undue delay

Looks like Dempsey might not be Minister for Delayed Road Openings come the 22nd

"The reshuffle is expected to take place before the Taoiseach departs for the annual St Patrick’s Day visit to the White House"

from http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/o-cuiv-plays-down-reshuffle-threat-113391.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

March 8th it is then

When was the last time a 'road' actually killed someone?

The new section of M9 north of carlow has already had a fatality on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I believe Bards was referring to the current N9 and that the sooner the m9 is opened, the safer journey's people will have:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I cycled all the way from Waterford to the kilkenny exit and back this morning. I can confirm that it is 100% complete and imo safe on the journey up, however, coming back, there seems to be a bit of work to be done yet. Along a few sections the barriers are either not complete or have yet to be started in certain places. There are quite a few sections that have a large drop between the level of the road surface and the land to the left of the hard shoulder, if a car was to go off there, there would be quite a fall.

I was just up a Mullinavat today and I could see some small offroad landscaping jobs being done. They were also backfilling the hard shoulder mentioned above but this doesn't seem to be very much because there aren't many places to do.

Even to my layman's eyes, it very much looks that everything will be finished this week - if they stay at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement