Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Tullamore Bypass

Options
  • 02-09-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know the progress of this road project? Will it take much time off the journey from Athlone to Portlaoise?

Thanks,

D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davyspain

Progress is pretty slow, have seen motorways built quicker than this. Think it might have something to do with the bad weather. Expect it to be finished in 2010. It'll take about 10 mins off your journey from Portlaoise to Athlone on a busy evening. You'll be turning right onto it from the Portlaoise Road and then heading to Kilbeggan to the Motorway. Don't set your sites on this one being finished in record time as they have to incorporate the existing road along the front of Charleville lake.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It's due date is 2010 alright but I can see it being finished before that. There are quite a number of obsticles in their way such as the large hill (thats nearly gone) on the kilbeggan side, the charleville area too needs alot of work and the fact that alot of it flooded not too long ago held them up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭trapmando

Is there anywhere online where there is a map of the proposed new route/development? I pass through there quite a bit and it can be a nightmare on a friday especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

try the nra website im sure there is something on that!:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

According to the NRA its not due for completion until Q4 2010. I have tried to find a picture but Offaly CoCo site contains broken links for that information.

Here is what the NRA say:
    Local Authority: Offaly County Council
    Start County: Offaly
    End County: Offaly
    Description: The N52 Tullamore bypass Design & Build scheme involves the construction of approximately 11.5 km of standard single carriageway and 2.5 km of wide single carriageway. The bypass departs from the existing line of the N52 in the townland of Heath, approximately 6 km southwest of Tullamore town, and rejoins the existing N52 in the townland of Gormagh, approximately 3 km north of Tullamore town. The development also involves the construction of 6 underbridges and 1 overbridge.
    Mainline Length (km): 14
    Contractor: Graham PT McWilliams
    Current Project Phase: Construction
    Major Inter-urban Route: No
    End of construction: Q4 2010

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

shouldnt be saying this but walked the bypass(from clonminch area) to charleville road back during the summer....gonna be cycle tracks on it seemingly too i heard.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

surely the origional poster would be better off getting off at the clara road exit and then down through clara to athlone . its the way i go now and i cant see why going to kb would be quicker.

the roads around my house are a right mess the dont seem to take into account of how narrow they have made the clomninch road now. but i think they are making good progress overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭winstons pt

Well at least are road tax is being put to some use LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Elexes,
    I would have thought that the route thru Kilbeggan would be quicker now that the new motorway is open. I must try it to see if it's better.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Donie75 wrote: »
    Elexes,
    I would have thought that the route thru Kilbeggan would be quicker now that the new motorway is open. I must try it to see if it's better.

D

Would certainly be more economical petrol-wise, certainly once Tullamore bypass opens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Donie75 wrote: »
    Elexes,

D

I think Elexes route Clara/Tubber interchange/Athlone is shorter milewise than Tullamore to Kilbeggan interchange/Athlone I may be wrong of course ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I think Elexes route Clara/Tubber interchange/Athlone is shorter milewise than Tullamore to Kilbeggan interchange/Athlone I may be wrong of course ;)

I travel from athlone to tullamore and back every day with work and mileage wise the road from tullamore to clara then onto motorway is shorter but going to kilbeggan and then to athlone is about 10 mins quicker.

You'll always get stuck behing someone at 80kph on both roads but you get to motorway quicker going through kilbeggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I travel from athlone to tullamore and back every day with work and mileage wise the road from tullamore to clara then onto motorway is shorter but going to kilbeggan and then to athlone is about 10 mins quicker.

You'll always get stuck behing someone at 80kph on both roads but you get to motorway quicker going through kilbeggan.

How long does it take you to get from Athlone to Tullamore using the Kilbeggen exit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    How long does it take you to get from Athlone to Tullamore using the Kilbeggen exit?

I had my NCT there tuesday and left tullamore at 5:35 and i was at the NCT centre just before 6 and thats driving at just under 120kph (on motorway!). Traffic leaving Tullamore in the evening is grand but slow to Kilbeggan.

Naturally enough it takes a little longer getting to Tullamore in the monring before 9am though during school months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I do Athlone to Tullamore (via Clara) every day for work, usually takes around 25 minutes each way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has heard any update on the completion date for this road. Will it be opened all at once or phased? Also, will it join the Mountmellick Road at the newly constructed roundabout near clonminch?
    Thanks

not sure when the tullamore bypass will be completed, i think maybe by the end of 2010, but i don't know,

It will indeed connect with the new roundabout on the mountmellick road... mighty sized yoke that is! no more speeding in the road now for anyone....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Hi All,

Does any one think the number of roundabouts on this road will impead traffic as it looks as if there is only one lane through the roundabout. Will there be room for traffic to turn left in one lane while in the other lane traffic right turns. They look narrower than the ones on the N52 Mullingar bypass

medoc wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does any one think the number of roundabouts on this road will impead traffic as it looks as if there is only one lane through the roundabout. Will there be room for traffic to turn left in one lane while in the other lane traffic right turns. They look narrower than the ones on the N52 Mullingar bypass

i dont think there is enough room. the one that is in place tullamore to portlaoise rd is very narrow and badly made. if the rest of the project is made to the same standard i dont put much faith into the roundabouts allowing traffic to pass freely.

all over xmass while they were on holidays everyone i know found the roundabout very slippery because of something on the road.

there are two junctions less then 2 meters after two exits of the rounabout of the portlaoise one there is going to be a axident in the future. i already know of two axidents at this roundabout the last happened 25 of this month after they were "finished" with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There are working going on at Screggan near Mucklagh off the main road. They have put in what looks like the start of a round about.

It is massive in size but the road is narrow on it, hope they plan to expand that a bit.

The way they have set up at the moment is very bad. At Christmas, two cars crashed off the road at this setup. I got a slide on but was able to keep control.

I was heading down for Xmas. There had been frost earlier in the day but was clear the whole way from Maynooth down and I wasn't going fast because I hadn't seen the setup before. Probably the only reason I kept control.

• Advertisement

elexes wrote: »
    i dont think there is enough room. the one that is in place tullamore to portlaoise rd is very narrow and badly made. if the rest of the project is made to the same standard i dont put much faith into the roundabouts allowing traffic to pass freely.

thebman wrote: »
    There are working going on at Screggan near Mucklagh off the main road. They have put in what looks like the start of a round about.

It is massive in size but the road is narrow on it, hope they plan to expand that a bit.

The way they have set up at the moment is very bad.

The Roundabouts are massive in size alright but the road way through them is too narrow. Tullamore doesnt need a dualcarraigeway bypass but it deserves a deacent normal road. I'll wait and see how they develope but Im not too confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Putting roundabouts on these roads will make them slower than going through the town. It just goes to show how clueless the planners really are. The road seems a good idea but only if access to it is via ramps and not roundabouts

The traffic has now been moved over on to the half of the roundabout thats complete now outside Tesco/ Whitehouse as of monday evening.

medoc wrote: »
    The traffic has now been moved over on to the half of the roundabout thats complete now outside Tesco/ Whitehouse as of monday evening.

traffic lights in opperation today

There is a possibility of the Cappincur road been closed for works but the local bussiness are angry and rightly so. Does anyone know the exact due date for completion of the bypass, I was caught in horrible traffic :mad::mad: in town Friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

road should be finished by october.

road should be finished by october.

Your joking??Cool:-):-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

I have heard october too.... it might be that quick but who knows. i see them working on it most nights till nearly 8pm at charleville

I have heard october too.... it might be that quick but who knows. i see them working on it most nights till nearly 8pm at charleville

They are usually on the site at 6.30am on the arden road when i am heading to work....! Long long day for them!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

offaly1 wrote: »
    They are usually on the site at 6.30am on the arden road when i am heading to work....! Long long day for them!:p

12hr shifts, though anything up to 19hrs a day can be clocked up. a relative of mine is an engineer on it, the hours he does are savage, anything up tp 80 a week

Advertisement