Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Tullamore Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Dusty87 wrote: »
    What does everyone make off the statue's or whatever ya call them? I wouldn be a fan of sculptures at the edge of the road but they are a lot better than the ones on the Motorway:)

While its nice to have art and a least its a bit relevant to offaly ( monastic history ) is there a case for the money been spent on a better cause. Especially in todays financial climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

medoc wrote: »
    While its nice to have art and a least its a bit relevant to offaly ( monastic history ) is there a case for the money been spent on a better cause. Especially in todays financial climate.

I didn read the tribune but i think there's something in it about the history behind them. One is for the book of durrow. @ your second point regards to cost. Iv said that so many times to herself when i be on the motorway. Im not sure how much something like that would cost but i wouldn think they'd be cheap. Shouldn our eyes be on the road anyways :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davyspain

Those Statues look pretty cool all right, like Brendan Drumm's bonus, they were commisioned in another time. Actually it would be nice to have replicas of them that you could buy, maybe that's stretching it a bit... This bypass will make some difference to Tullamore, maybe the council could pedestrianize some of the town centre for certain parts of the day, evening or weekend.
    Cappincur Filling station is also changing it's opening times from 6am to 11pm from the date it opens.

offaly1 wrote: »
    Dusty, I think they are cool!:) They are really unusual and different...real modern art! I want one of them statues, but not sure how it would look in my back garden!:eek::eek: :D

They are pretty cool lookin arnt they. Make a nice paper weight. They are well placed as your driving in from durrow but as medoc said could the money have been better spent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Isn't the idea of the statues and art by the side or roads to break the boredom when people are driving on the roads looking into the distance at a constant recurring pattern.

The idea of the art is to get reawaken your attention and get you focusing again or basically a safety matter as otherwise people stop paying attention to anything and are driving on auto-pilot and more likely to fall asleep at the wheel or have an otherwise avoidable accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Dusty87 wrote: »
    They are pretty cool lookin arnt they. Make a nice paper weight. They are well placed as your driving in from durrow but as medoc said could the money have been better spent?

True..it could be money better spent, but in this climate, im sure the production of the statues kept people in a job, who could have been jobless, if not for the statues;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/arts/public_art.html

background to the scheme for anyone interested... maximum amount of grant is 64k..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

So,next time Im coming home.

I'll be driving from Limerick,where will I turn off?Ill be going to Durrow,about a mile from where the road branches out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

jackncoke wrote: »
    So,next time Im coming home.

I'll be driving from Limerick,where will I turn off?Ill be going to Durrow,about a mile from where the road branches out there.

I think if you join it out the Birr road and follow it all the way..ya will end up go Durrow,least thats what i presume is going to happen!:-O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Doesn't anyone in Tullamore have a CAMERA??? (It's a yoke you take pitchers with). Can't see the statues, can't see the road. :mad:

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone in Tullamore have a CAMERA??? (It's a yoke you take pitchers with). Can't see the statues, can't see the road. :mad:

You could visit :(

I think a lot of the people on the forum are like me and from Offaly originally but not living there all the time and wouldn't necessarily have a camera with them.

The rest of them are just BIFFO's though :pac:

No problem we got dem yokes delivered d other day if only someone could show us how to use dem. Seriously ;-) i intend taking pics next wednesday. I might need ure help to find out how to post them here :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

How can we go take photos if its not open to the public until next Friday?

IrishHomer wrote: »
    How can we go take photos if its not open to the public until next Friday?

Where there's a will there's a...lot of relatives! I usually, personally speaking, chance the proverbial arm. I've been chucked off more construction sites than I've had hot meals. Seriously, 3 times out of 4 you'll not be bothered. Or when you explain that you're a crazy who likes taking photos of building sites they indulge you as they would a child. Faking a limp helps too.
    If the security guard isn't Irish get talking about his nationality and express a profound love for Latvia/Nigeria/wherever. They will even let you betimes take a photo of them with the project in the background if you email it back to them (though of course you must NEVER post their likeness on the internet or you risk getting your new pal fired).
    Now as for uploading the pics, well, I had to get instructions on that meself - I started using http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/WildBillHiccup/ PHOTOBUCKET, as instructed by someone on boards.ie a few months back.
    So charge that battery and take a hike :D.

God the camera i have is one of the old box ones, il try tow it down there if i can get my ass and cart back. Should have never traded it for the morris minor. Did you try google? Il try get pics this evening if i can get the internet working at home.

lol just wait until it opens. Its just a road.

Oh but agree photobucket is the place to go to store your photos.

thebman wrote: »
    lol just wait until it opens. Its just a road.

Oh but agree photobucket is the place to go to store your photos.

ONLY a road????? ONLY? :eek:

Jeez man are you in the wrong thread or wha?

offaly1 wrote: »
    I think if you join it out the Birr road and follow it all the way..ya will end up go Durrow,least thats what i presume is going to happen!:-O

hmm,well hopefully with the limerick to nenagh motorway and then this bypass it'll hopefully all cut about 10-15 minutes off the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Medoc, we've a thread ready and all for your pictures over in Infrastructure: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055714542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I hear that Biffo will open it officially tomorrow (friday).

• Advertisement

It will be great to have it open. No offence to the good people of Mucklagh but i wont be sorry not to have to crawl along through the village on the long speed limit. I dont think i'll pass through much anymore.

Also if any one here is interested I put some pictures of the bypass in the infrastructure forum. I think there is a link somewhere in this thread. I dont think there is a need to put them here aswell though i can if anyone wants

It will be great to have it open. No offence to the good people of Mucklagh but i wont be sorry not to have to crawl along through the village on the long speed limit. I dont think i'll pass through much anymore.

Also if any one here is interested I put some pictures of the bypass in the infrastructure forum. I think there is a link somewhere in this thread. I dont think there is a need to put them here aswell though i can if anyone wants

lol why would that be offense? I mean no offense to anyone either but the people in Mucklagh don't want people driving through their village especially the speeders going by the primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

thebman wrote: »
    especially the speeders going by the primary school.

You mean these things - modpic_xp38tousv5speeder.jpg have been going by the primary school in Mucklagh? Must get out there to have a look.:cool:

shnaek wrote: »
    You mean these things - modpic_xp38tousv5speeder.jpg have been going by the primary school in Mucklagh? Must get out there to have a look.:cool:

More like this:
    speed-racer-movie-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I don't know where the infrastructure forum is, but is Mucklagh bypassed as well ?

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I don't know where the infrastructure forum is, but is Mucklagh bypassed as well ?

yeah Mucklagh is bypassed, parents live near Screggan and the bridge goes right past our road around Mucklagh.

So,how long does the journey take from where the bypass begins before Mucklagh to where it ends in Gormagh (Durrow)?

Any rough ideas anyone?

Still no cameras in Tullamore? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I came from the Killeigh road roundabout along the bypass to the roundabout on the Birr road, are there deer in them there trees ??

• Advertisement

Scawgeen a few times I saw deer on the road between Mucklagh and town but it was a few years ago I think its all fenced now.

Here are a few pics of the road

2009_1025manpics0241.jpg

Heading south in Birr direction under Screggan road bridge (from where first pic on page 1 was taken)

2009_1025manpics0206.jpg

Tullamore direction of same. This section bypasses Mucklagh

2009_1025manpics0223.jpg

Sign on N80 road at bypass

2009_1025manpics0219.jpg

Canal bridge in distance heading South ( Birr direction)

2009_1025manpics0215.jpg

WS2 section approaching the N80 Link (not yet open) with Private Hospital in background. This is a larger roundabout than the others with 5 exits (5th one for the hospital)

2009_1025manpics0213.jpg

Tie in at kilbeggan side, this is WS2 from here to the roundabout above.

Advertisement