Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Tullamore Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Traffic lights today at the Blueball end of the new road where it joins the old road. Laying the final layer along the streach to Mucklagh roundabout. Lines painted along most of the other sections, looking good for November????. God I hope so :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i was in cappincur on friday (25th) and all that end is finished, line marking done & signs all erected.

Line marking & signage has started at kilbeggan end as well.

Thats good news about the Kilbeggan road end. Are the lights still there? when I was out that way few weeks ago and the delays were horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Drove Sligo - Carlow and back today - got to do it again in about months time - I hope that Tullamore Bypass is boing to be opened! Took me a stupid amount of time to do both ways today....twill be great when they finsih all these projects!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

The completion date for the Construction company's contract is 23rd October '09 - Mucklagh to Cappincur section is basically finished. Significant amount of work still to be done on the Kilbeggan Road, also the Mucklagh to Blueball section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

westtip wrote: »
    Drove Sligo - Carlow and back today - got to do it again in about months time - I hope that Tullamore Bypass is boing to be opened! Took me a stupid amount of time to do both ways today....twill be great when they finsih all these projects!!!!!

Portlaoise roadworks didn help id say.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Portlaoise roadworks didn help id say.

Please .... I am only just recovering from the journey. :-) but that's great news about Tullamore at the end of the month - Another town I tick off the list of never going to see again.....Knock, Claremorris, EdgeworthsTown, Moate, Athlone etc etc (oh and how I wish Claregalway!)

No disrespect to the good people of Tullamore!

Please .... I am only just recovering from the journey. :-) but that's great news about Tullamore at the end of the month - Another town I tick off the list of never going to see again.....Knock, Claremorris, EdgeworthsTown, Moate, Athlone etc etc (oh and how I wish Claregalway!)

No disrespect to the good people of Tullamore!

Why would you go see moate in the first place??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

I commute between Athlone & Portlaoise regularly and the amount of roadworks and temporary lights is unbelievable. I now go thru Clara, around the tullamore ring road and I keep straight thru Mountmellick and go thru Emo and out to the Motorway and head down to Portlaoise. I hope the commute time will improve with the new bypass. It currently takes 60 to 80 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The idea is to cause maximum disruption during construction phase so you appreciate it more when its done :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

I passed near Tullamore today works are looking well on..Tullamore was/is a major bottle neck. Compared to the the Gort - Crusheen Bypass the tullamore works are been pretty dragged out?? Who is the contractors on the Job.

Why would you go see moate in the first place??:D

Wasn't on a pleasure trip but used to have to pass through it on the N6 on many occassions - and got a good look at the hedgerows either side - whilst sitting in a stationary car either going East or West to get through the wretched place!

Wasn't on a pleasure trip but used to have to pass through it on the N6 on many occassions - and got a good look at the hedgerows either side - whilst sitting in a stationary car either going East or West to get through the wretched place!

I was only messing with ya:) yea i used to have to pass through it twice a day myself. Its cat. When heading back to tullamore i used to turn left just entering moate, bit quicker, not much though. I havn had to go through it since the motorway opened. Typical

I passed near Tullamore today works are looking well on..Tullamore was/is a major bottle neck. Compared to the the Gort - Crusheen Bypass the tullamore works are been pretty dragged out?? Who is the contractors on the Job.

Its a joint venture, PT Mc Williams, from Enniskillen, is one half. Cant think of the other. Heard rumours of him being a bit of a gangster and theres being trouble with sub contracters not being paid. It was reported in the Tullamore Tribune aswel. Personally i dont know what he's like, could be bang on for all i know. Whilst working for ascon i heard bad things about his quality of work, but when your workin for a rival company you take things like that with a pinch or salt.

Graham is the other half of the joint venture

http://www.graham.co.uk/projects/civil-engineering/

Anyone see the signs on the kilbeggan road? Its says Ardan but i always thought it was Arden. Which is correct??

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I saw that myself.i think ardan is the irish spelling. Not sure thou,id always spell it arden... The road is looking good..bring on the day its opening..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Was looking at the Screggan Cross end of the road yesterday and it is practically complete. Some barriers need to be bolted in place under the bridge heading to Rahan but otherwise it is pretty much finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

offaly1 wrote: »
    I saw that myself.i think ardan is the irish spelling. Not sure thou,id always spell it arden... The road is looking good..bring on the day its opening..:)

One thing I always noticed - internal signage always has it spelled 'ARDEN', yet on maps it is spelled 'ARDAN'.

Word has it the bypass will be open officially by next Monday. So says a construction worker I know of anyway. Most of the labourers finished last Friday October 1st. Only a handful remain now.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chussain

I travel weekly from Portlaoise to Galway. Galway Motorway is going to opne on 4th of January and I was anxiously waiting for Tullamore Bypass to open because then I can come from Portlaoise either via Mountmellick or Portarlington get on bypass and get on Motorway near Kilbeggan. It would make my journey of about less than 2 hours while now I do about 2 and a half hours - saving of about 45 minutes and plus wear and tear of vehicle would be also saved.

Can anyone please tell me exact date when this bypass is going to be opened finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Chussain,
    I regularly drive between Portlaoise & Galway and I use a different route. I go from Portlaoise towards Mountmellick and turn left before I get to Mountmellick and head towards Rosenallis and to Kinnity and into Birr. Then head to Portumna and on thru Killimor, Loughrea and into Galway.
    I can do it in about 2 hours 10 mins from west of Galway city to Portlaoise.
    Once the new road opens it should be possible to get there even quicker but I'd say it will still be 1 hour 45 minutes to the east side of Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Green Beaker

I've heard rumours that the Tullamore bypass is due to be opened on the 24th of this month.:D

I've heard rumours that the Tullamore bypass is due to be opened on the 24th of this month.:D

I heard rumours of the 23rd October...but we won't fight over a day!:D:D

offaly1 wrote: »
    I heard rumours of the 23rd October...but we won't fight over a day!:D:D

Not worth a fight wit the amount of rumours goin round:) anyone out on it for a walk or anything?

Not worth a fight wit the amount of rumours goin round:) anyone out on it for a walk or anything?

On Sunday evening, walked a bit of it out the Clonminch way, say the bit thats going to go onto ballard, Well finished now.... roads are marked, nice wide hard shoulders, though ya would need your hi-vis jacket on it...there is only lighting at the roundabouts.... but seems to be pretty much finished.. :D

Think ill be rounding up a few to go power walking on it!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Tullamore Tribune says today its opening next week!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can someone take pictures of the new road and post them here? The lads over on the Infrastructure forum would also be very keen to see them.

Furet wrote: »
    Can someone take pictures of the new road and post them here? The lads over on the Infrastructure forum would also be very keen to see them.

I'll be home next Wednesday and will try and get a few pics if none posted before that . I meant to do something about it ages ago. I can post them in the Infrastructure Forum aswell.

What does everyone make off the statue's or whatever ya call them? I wouldn be a fan of sculptures at the edge of the road but they are a lot better than the ones on the Motorway:)

• Advertisement

What does everyone make off the statue's or whatever ya call them? I wouldn be a fan of sculptures at the edge of the road but they are a lot better than the ones on the Motorway:)

Dusty, I think they are cool!:) They are really unusual and different...real modern art! I want one of them statues, but not sure how it would look in my back garden!:eek::eek: :D

Advertisement