Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N52 Tullamore Bypass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Any photo updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

offaly1 wrote: »
    Scawgeen wrote: »
    The new bypass will be paradise for the powerwalkers ;)[/QUOTE

Cant wait to do me powerwalking down the bypass!:p

The powerwalkers are on it a while now! Collins lane wil lose out:):(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Open 20th? Does anyone in Offaly have a camera?????? :confused:

http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Roads/N52_Tullamore_Bypass/June_-_July_2009_Newsletter.pdf

OK - somebody has!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i was in rahan there on friday and now think the 20th is a bit optimistic. Looking at the road under the new bridge it seems it has a long way to go.

Fingers still crossed though - the kilbeggan rd junction is driving me nuts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Just been talking to the In-laws in Offaly - they said the Council are hoping it will open for Christmas (read it in one of the local papers)

Just been talking to the In-laws in Offaly - they said the Council are hoping it will open for Christmas (read it in one of the local papers)

Ah it wil be open long before christmas. I worked wit ascon for a while and You'd be surprised how quick they do the last few bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

Probably will be more like 20th october I would say. the kilbeggan road side has a fair bit of road markings to be done yet as I drove by it yesterday evening there was little sign of any markings.

Probably will be more like 20th october I would say. the kilbeggan road side has a fair bit of road markings to be done yet as I drove by it yesterday evening there was little sign of any markings.
    I would say similiar around October. But it dosnt take long to put down road markings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I would say similiar around October. But it dosnt take long to put down road markings.

Maybe the 20th of September is a partial opening. If the road from the Charleville roundabout to the ~Tesoc roundabout was open next week it would help with cross country traffic heading to Athy for the Ploughing. They seem to be working a lot more on this section at the mo. Ages ago a sub contractor on the site told me they were hoping for November, though the signs and lines dont usually be completed until its almost ready to open so we can all hope :)

• Advertisement

Yea from the kilbeggan road to the portlaoise road?? It seems to be a good bit ahead alright

Traffic lights today at the Blueball end of the new road where it joins the old road. Laying the final layer along the streach to Mucklagh roundabout. Lines painted along most of the other sections, looking good for November????. God I hope so :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i was in cappincur on friday (25th) and all that end is finished, line marking done & signs all erected.

Line marking & signage has started at kilbeggan end as well.

Thats good news about the Kilbeggan road end. Are the lights still there? when I was out that way few weeks ago and the delays were horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Drove Sligo - Carlow and back today - got to do it again in about months time - I hope that Tullamore Bypass is boing to be opened! Took me a stupid amount of time to do both ways today....twill be great when they finsih all these projects!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

The completion date for the Construction company's contract is 23rd October '09 - Mucklagh to Cappincur section is basically finished. Significant amount of work still to be done on the Kilbeggan Road, also the Mucklagh to Blueball section.

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    Drove Sligo - Carlow and back today - got to do it again in about months time - I hope that Tullamore Bypass is boing to be opened! Took me a stupid amount of time to do both ways today....twill be great when they finsih all these projects!!!!!

Portlaoise roadworks didn help id say.

Portlaoise roadworks didn help id say.

Please .... I am only just recovering from the journey. :-) but that's great news about Tullamore at the end of the month - Another town I tick off the list of never going to see again.....Knock, Claremorris, EdgeworthsTown, Moate, Athlone etc etc (oh and how I wish Claregalway!)

No disrespect to the good people of Tullamore!

Please .... I am only just recovering from the journey. :-) but that's great news about Tullamore at the end of the month - Another town I tick off the list of never going to see again.....Knock, Claremorris, EdgeworthsTown, Moate, Athlone etc etc (oh and how I wish Claregalway!)

No disrespect to the good people of Tullamore!

Why would you go see moate in the first place??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I commute between Athlone & Portlaoise regularly and the amount of roadworks and temporary lights is unbelievable. I now go thru Clara, around the tullamore ring road and I keep straight thru Mountmellick and go thru Emo and out to the Motorway and head down to Portlaoise. I hope the commute time will improve with the new bypass. It currently takes 60 to 80 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The idea is to cause maximum disruption during construction phase so you appreciate it more when its done :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

I passed near Tullamore today works are looking well on..Tullamore was/is a major bottle neck. Compared to the the Gort - Crusheen Bypass the tullamore works are been pretty dragged out?? Who is the contractors on the Job.

Why would you go see moate in the first place??:D

Wasn't on a pleasure trip but used to have to pass through it on the N6 on many occassions - and got a good look at the hedgerows either side - whilst sitting in a stationary car either going East or West to get through the wretched place!

Wasn't on a pleasure trip but used to have to pass through it on the N6 on many occassions - and got a good look at the hedgerows either side - whilst sitting in a stationary car either going East or West to get through the wretched place!

I was only messing with ya:) yea i used to have to pass through it twice a day myself. Its cat. When heading back to tullamore i used to turn left just entering moate, bit quicker, not much though. I havn had to go through it since the motorway opened. Typical

I passed near Tullamore today works are looking well on..Tullamore was/is a major bottle neck. Compared to the the Gort - Crusheen Bypass the tullamore works are been pretty dragged out?? Who is the contractors on the Job.

Its a joint venture, PT Mc Williams, from Enniskillen, is one half. Cant think of the other. Heard rumours of him being a bit of a gangster and theres being trouble with sub contracters not being paid. It was reported in the Tullamore Tribune aswel. Personally i dont know what he's like, could be bang on for all i know. Whilst working for ascon i heard bad things about his quality of work, but when your workin for a rival company you take things like that with a pinch or salt.

Graham is the other half of the joint venture

http://www.graham.co.uk/projects/civil-engineering/

Anyone see the signs on the kilbeggan road? Its says Ardan but i always thought it was Arden. Which is correct??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I saw that myself.i think ardan is the irish spelling. Not sure thou,id always spell it arden... The road is looking good..bring on the day its opening..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Was looking at the Screggan Cross end of the road yesterday and it is practically complete. Some barriers need to be bolted in place under the bridge heading to Rahan but otherwise it is pretty much finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I saw that myself.i think ardan is the irish spelling. Not sure thou,id always spell it arden... The road is looking good..bring on the day its opening..:)

One thing I always noticed - internal signage always has it spelled 'ARDEN', yet on maps it is spelled 'ARDAN'.

Word has it the bypass will be open officially by next Monday. So says a construction worker I know of anyway. Most of the labourers finished last Friday October 1st. Only a handful remain now.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chussain

I travel weekly from Portlaoise to Galway. Galway Motorway is going to opne on 4th of January and I was anxiously waiting for Tullamore Bypass to open because then I can come from Portlaoise either via Mountmellick or Portarlington get on bypass and get on Motorway near Kilbeggan. It would make my journey of about less than 2 hours while now I do about 2 and a half hours - saving of about 45 minutes and plus wear and tear of vehicle would be also saved.

Can anyone please tell me exact date when this bypass is going to be opened finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Chussain,
    I regularly drive between Portlaoise & Galway and I use a different route. I go from Portlaoise towards Mountmellick and turn left before I get to Mountmellick and head towards Rosenallis and to Kinnity and into Birr. Then head to Portumna and on thru Killimor, Loughrea and into Galway.
    I can do it in about 2 hours 10 mins from west of Galway city to Portlaoise.
    Once the new road opens it should be possible to get there even quicker but I'd say it will still be 1 hour 45 minutes to the east side of Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Green Beaker

I've heard rumours that the Tullamore bypass is due to be opened on the 24th of this month.:D

I've heard rumours that the Tullamore bypass is due to be opened on the 24th of this month.:D

I heard rumours of the 23rd October...but we won't fight over a day!:D:D

I heard rumours of the 23rd October...but we won't fight over a day!:D:D

Not worth a fight wit the amount of rumours goin round:) anyone out on it for a walk or anything?

Not worth a fight wit the amount of rumours goin round:) anyone out on it for a walk or anything?

On Sunday evening, walked a bit of it out the Clonminch way, say the bit thats going to go onto ballard, Well finished now.... roads are marked, nice wide hard shoulders, though ya would need your hi-vis jacket on it...there is only lighting at the roundabouts.... but seems to be pretty much finished.. :D

Think ill be rounding up a few to go power walking on it!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Tullamore Tribune says today its opening next week!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can someone take pictures of the new road and post them here? The lads over on the Infrastructure forum would also be very keen to see them.

Furet wrote: »
    Can someone take pictures of the new road and post them here? The lads over on the Infrastructure forum would also be very keen to see them.

I'll be home next Wednesday and will try and get a few pics if none posted before that . I meant to do something about it ages ago. I can post them in the Infrastructure Forum aswell.

What does everyone make off the statue's or whatever ya call them? I wouldn be a fan of sculptures at the edge of the road but they are a lot better than the ones on the Motorway:)

• Advertisement

What does everyone make off the statue's or whatever ya call them? I wouldn be a fan of sculptures at the edge of the road but they are a lot better than the ones on the Motorway:)

Dusty, I think they are cool!:) They are really unusual and different...real modern art! I want one of them statues, but not sure how it would look in my back garden!:eek::eek: :D

While its nice to have art and a least its a bit relevant to offaly ( monastic history ) is there a case for the money been spent on a better cause. Especially in todays financial climate.

medoc wrote: »
    While its nice to have art and a least its a bit relevant to offaly ( monastic history ) is there a case for the money been spent on a better cause. Especially in todays financial climate.

I didn read the tribune but i think there's something in it about the history behind them. One is for the book of durrow. @ your second point regards to cost. Iv said that so many times to herself when i be on the motorway. Im not sure how much something like that would cost but i wouldn think they'd be cheap. Shouldn our eyes be on the road anyways :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davyspain

Those Statues look pretty cool all right, like Brendan Drumm's bonus, they were commisioned in another time. Actually it would be nice to have replicas of them that you could buy, maybe that's stretching it a bit... This bypass will make some difference to Tullamore, maybe the council could pedestrianize some of the town centre for certain parts of the day, evening or weekend.
    Cappincur Filling station is also changing it's opening times from 6am to 11pm from the date it opens.

Dusty, I think they are cool!:) They are really unusual and different...real modern art! I want one of them statues, but not sure how it would look in my back garden!:eek::eek: :D

They are pretty cool lookin arnt they. Make a nice paper weight. They are well placed as your driving in from durrow but as medoc said could the money have been better spent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Isn't the idea of the statues and art by the side or roads to break the boredom when people are driving on the roads looking into the distance at a constant recurring pattern.

The idea of the art is to get reawaken your attention and get you focusing again or basically a safety matter as otherwise people stop paying attention to anything and are driving on auto-pilot and more likely to fall asleep at the wheel or have an otherwise avoidable accident.

• Advertisement

They are pretty cool lookin arnt they. Make a nice paper weight. They are well placed as your driving in from durrow but as medoc said could the money have been better spent?

True..it could be money better spent, but in this climate, im sure the production of the statues kept people in a job, who could have been jobless, if not for the statues;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/arts/public_art.html

background to the scheme for anyone interested... maximum amount of grant is 64k..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

So,next time Im coming home.

I'll be driving from Limerick,where will I turn off?Ill be going to Durrow,about a mile from where the road branches out there.

jackncoke wrote: »
    So,next time Im coming home.

I'll be driving from Limerick,where will I turn off?Ill be going to Durrow,about a mile from where the road branches out there.

I think if you join it out the Birr road and follow it all the way..ya will end up go Durrow,least thats what i presume is going to happen!:-O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Doesn't anyone in Tullamore have a CAMERA??? (It's a yoke you take pitchers with). Can't see the statues, can't see the road. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement