Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying for a proposal

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

People can be so bloody harsh on here at times.

I see nothing in what the OP has said that would indicate to me that she is a bunny boiling brizilla kind. She comes across as someone who is excited at the prospect of being engaged and extremely happy about that. Sheesh, you'd think some people here had never been excited about an upcoming event in their life.

OP, I am absolutely delighted that you and your partner want the same things in life. Patience is a virtue and all good things come to those who wait come to mind :) Sit back and rejoice in the fact that you are in a loving relationship with a person who you want to spend and share the rest of your life with.

I hope the proposal is what you hope it might be.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

b3t4 thank you for the comment, Not many people understood my point to this thread. I think people are very judgemental some times just because there not at that stage in their life/relationship, we all want different things from life!

I'm going to bide my time and look forward to when it happens.

Mods you can close this thread if you like as I have gotten all i want from it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

pookie82 wrote: »
    But a lot wimmins get all angsty around year 3-5 of said relationship because their bodies are telling them it's time to settle and have babies.

I think women are at the mercy of their biological clocks more than we'd like to imagine. I was in a shopping centre today and there were dozens of pregnant ladies wandering around patting their stomachs lovingly. I found myself staring at them with unadulterated longing and envy. For the last three nights I've dreamt about being pregnant. And then I realised that I'm ovulating this week, and it all clicked into place. Am I ready for a baby yet? No! Do I want one in my life just yet? No! Have I settled enough to provide it with emotional and financial stability? No! But does my body tell me on day 14 of my cycle that it's the loveliest idea in the world? Apparently so.

Not for everyone! Been living with my BF 4 years now. we have decided to get married in a few years. For me Id like it in a few years as it shows commitment and its nice to have a special occasion to mark that.

I have never wanted children and never plan to have any. If I see screaming babies or pregnant women in a shop it just reinforces how I feel! My body never ever tells me its a good idea - no disrespect to anyone who does want kids im just saying everyone is different and not all of us have a body clock screaming at us.

To me the purpose of life is to enjoy it. No to have to procreate or to follow traditions or to force yourself to comply.

Op, I know your dying for a proposal but its prob best to put it out of your head. Let it happen in due course its gonna be so much more fun if its a surprise, after all you really dont want him doing it just because he thinks he has to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Not for everyone! Been living with my BF 4 years now. we have decided to get married in a few years. For me Id like it in a few years as it shows commitment and its nice to have a special occasion to mark that.

I have never wanted children and never plan to have any. If I see screaming babies or pregnant women in a shop it just reinforces how I feel! My body never ever tells me its a good idea - no disrespect to anyone who does want kids im just saying everyone is different and not all of us have a body clock screaming at us.

To me the purpose of life is to enjoy it. No to have to procreate or to follow traditions or to force yourself to comply.

Op, I know your dying for a proposal but its prob best to put it out of your head. Let it happen in due course its gonna be so much more fun if its a surprise, after all you really dont want him doing it just because he thinks he has to

I feel this way too. I've never once had the desire for children. Maybe I don't have a biological clock? We are probably rarer than the ticking type of women because whatever genes are in us that make us feel this way are unlikely to be passed on to the next generation!

OP, hope you haven't been too offended by some posts and you will come back and let us know when the question is asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Thanks malari. I think some women just dont get the urge. I feel its better to do what makes you happy than to conform and have a child to to try keep a man/conform to society/make others happy. I do get angered by the typical 'Ahhh you will change your mind' comments. Everyone is different. I will not change my mind

OP - let us know if he pops the question later on in the year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 amom

CAT24 wrote: »
    b3t4 thank you for the comment, Not many people understood my point to this thread. I think people are very judgemental some times just because there not at that stage in their life/relationship, we all want different things from life!

I'm going to bide my time and look forward to when it happens.

Mods you can close this thread if you like as I have gotten all i want from it, thanks!

i dont know if you'll bother to read this but i think most people got it! they just were'nt bothered admitting that most girls are at some point in their life "dying for a proposal" its a stepping stone forward and i can understand that as a girl you know its going to happen so its hard to have to wait! you wont be the first girl to sneakily check out engagement rings and anyone who says different is not being true here or to themselves i am nowhere near where you are in my relationship and i'm sure when i do get there ill be sneaking a peek at rings etc waiting for the day! and i know a lot of people have said that life doesnt change afterwards and thats probably true but its a milestone and i agree that most people were rather harsh on this subject! your obviously great or he wouldnt want to marry you and i think knock yourself out look at all the rings, dresses etc you want this is your day and you can be as over the top or girlie as you want about it and you know what F***K the begrudgers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I do get angered by the typical 'Ahhh you will change your mind' comments. Everyone is different. I will not change my mind

Oh yes, I've had about 10 years of those comments and I still haven't changed my mind! I'm very lucky to have ended up with a guy who doesn't want kids either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

amom wrote: »
    F***K the begrudgers;)

I think waiting on someone else to spend thousands on a token to confirm they love you is deeply insecure and shallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I think waiting on someone else to spend thousands on a token to confirm they love you is deeply insecure and shallow.

IanCurtis, the OP has already stated that her partner is the traditional sort and has stated that he would prefer to do the proposing.

To others, I believe this thread was about the OP asking whether anyone else has felt the excitement that she is and not a thread to bash marriage/engagement/biological clocks, blah, blah, blah ad nauseum.

As with anything, research is required before making a purchase else you are likely to get a bad deal as a sales person only cares about the euro/dollar/currency of choice signs :)

If the OP had come on hear and said "I'm dying to see 'insert band name of choice' in four months time" or "I can't wait for the next 'gaget of choice''' I believe the responses on here would not of been so very defensive.

People are allowed to make their own choices in life and if they are happy with those choices then let em be.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greenapplesea

b3t4 wrote: »
    IanCurtis, the OP has already stated that her partner is the traditional sort and has stated that he would prefer to do the proposing.

To others, I believe this thread was about the OP asking whether anyone else has felt the excitement that she is and not a thread to bash marriage/engagement/biological clocks, blah, blah, blah ad nauseum.

As with anything, research is required before making a purchase else you are likely to get a bad deal as a sales person only cares about the euro/dollar/currency of choice signs :)

If the OP had come on hear and said "I'm dying to see 'insert band name of choice' in four months time" or "I can't wait for the next 'gaget of choice''' I believe the responses on here would not of been so very defensive.

People are allowed to make their own choices in life and if they are happy with those choices then let em be.

A.
    Hi CAT24,
    I think that it's great that you and your OH are on the same wavelength and want the same things. I think you should count herself lucky in this instance because there are some men out there (including mine!) who won't talk about the whole marriage thing. I'm 25 and have been with my boyfriend for five years and it takes for me to initiate a conversation before he'll mention it. He's completely committed, don't get me wrong, but just doesn't see us getting hitched in the very near future. So I think it's great that your guy can. I mean, at least he's said it's going to happen by the end of the year- that's great!

I think you should just be happy with this and be patient, otherwise you might run the risk of annoying him. And there's nothing unhealthy about your reading- just keep it up but make sure you're not too obvious about it ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement