Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Models are middle class!

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

I was just reading the paper there at lunch and I have noticed that Irish models in our national magazines and papers aren't even close to the models of that of other countries. I mean the papers praise models like Glenda Gilson who in fairness now isn't that great in the face. She isn't something to boast about really. But when you look at models such as Adriana Lima and such, you cant help but wonder.
    I must admit Susan Kavanagh is nice to look at, as is Rosanna Davison. But they dont hold a candle to some of the models you would find in even English newspapers. I was in Italy this summer and my god they have some stunning models. We must have better looking women in Ireland that can pose in our newspapers?? Surely? No? Yes? anyone??

Comments

Are models meant to be goo looking, wouldn't that distract from the clothes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

We must have better looking women in Ireland that can pose in our newspapers?? Surely? No? Yes? anyone??

I think in general Irish people don't fit the high cheekbones look which most models have.

Also, you can't really compare Irish people with Eastern Europeans. There are loads of stunners over there, but not that many here... that goes for men and women.

I used to be in college with one of Ireland's "top models". She was above average, but definitely no where near great looking or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Moonbaby wrote: »

well i think all that goo on the clothes would be distracting for any model

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I was just reading the paper there at lunch and I have noticed that Irish models in our national magazines and papers aren't even close to the models of that of other countries. I mean the papers praise models like Glenda Gilson who in fairness now isn't that great in the face. She isn't something to boast about really. But when you look at models such as Adriana Lima and such, you cant help but wonder.
    I must admit Susan Kavanagh is nice to look at, as is Rosanna Davison. But they dont hold a candle to some of the models you would find in even English newspapers. I was in Italy this summer and my god they have some stunning models. We must have better looking women in Ireland that can pose in our newspapers?? Surely? No? Yes? anyone??

Why did you wait a full year to post all these threads when you have so much good stuff to contribute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"goo looking"? giggity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The foreign models you think of are heavily involved in the fashion world, and are proper models.

The Irish ones you mention are photographed on a rainy day in St Stephens Green wearing a bikini to promote Budget Travels 'Summer in the Sun' 09 sale.

Big difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I rarely find models attractive, I don't know what it is about them but I'm not usually too interested in them. I tend to find normal looking girls much more attractive for some strange reason, its a wierd one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I was just reading the paper there at lunch and I have noticed that Irish models in our national magazines and papers aren't even close to the models of that of other countries.

That's because in Ireland a model is considered successful, not if she's strutting her stuff on a Paris Catwalk, but more if she manages to get into Krystle's VIP room.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The foreign models you think of are heavily involved in the fashion world, and are proper models.

The Irish ones you mention are photographed on a rainy day in St Stephens Green wearing a bikini to promote Budget Travels 'Summer in the Sun' 09 sale.

Big difference...

Haha... so true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

The best Irish models arent in the newspapers or magazines. Theyre on catwalks and in campaigns many of which the regular Joe Public wouldnt see. I regularly see Irish best paid model walking around Stephens Green... she wouldnt get a huge amount of attention because shes not that 'stunning' shes just beautiful. i.e. she isnt blonde and in-your-face.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »

Big difference...

For the money they get you'd do it too. Class money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

International model are too skinny. I have doubts they look as good in real life.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think in general Irish people don't fit the high cheekbones look which most models have.

Also, you can't really compare Irish people with Eastern Europeans. There are loads of stunners over there, but not that many here... that goes for men and women.

I used to be in college with one of Ireland's "top models". She was above average, but definitely no where near great looking or anything like that.

I dont think I agree with that fully, when just across the sea Britain has managed to produce some of the top models in the world. I'm just not convinced that we couldn't find someone. Is it our small population, our climate?

ScumLord wrote: »
    International model are too skinny. I have doubts they look as good in real life.

Skinny girls look good in clothes. Naked, they look like starving rats. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Pen1987 wrote: »
    The best Irish models arent in the newspapers or magazines. Theyre on catwalks and in campaigns many of which the regular Joe Public wouldnt see. I regularly see Irish best paid model walking around Stephens Green... she wouldnt get a huge amount of attention because shes not that 'stunning' shes just beautiful. i.e. she isnt blonde and in-your-face.

And turned sideways we cannot see them at all.

I dont think I agree with that fully, when just across the sea Britain has managed to produce some of the top models in the world. I'm just not convinced that we couldn't find someone. Is it our small population, our climate?

I think the problem is we've been Irish only for too long. The brits have had a lot of foreign sperm and ovaries on their land for quite some time.

Irish people are defo way down the league table of ability to produce stunners.

chin_grin wrote: »
    And turned sideways we cannot see them at all.

haha... the media hype surrounding models on catwalks in nuts sometimes. If you saw the girl I'm talking about you'd realise shes not even notably thin looking. Sometimes genetics make you naturally slender and make it hard to gain weight. I know some models who eat like a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are great looking Irish womens that look fairly unique to Ireland too, their just not interested in modelling careers.

Why did you wait a full year to post all these threads when you have so much good stuff to contribute?

I'm a chronic masturbater and I've spent the past year tugging at my sergent slaughter till i tore a ligament along the fibrous maximus muscle, its located near the optimus prime muscle.... only joking, dont know why i havent been on boards, just been busy really, not saying i havent been pulling away at myself at night..... which i do.... every night.... in the nude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm a chronic masturbater and I've spent the past year tugging at my sergent slaughter till i tore a ligament along the fibrous maximus muscle, its located near the optimus prime muscle.... only joking, dont know why i havent been on boards, just been busy really, not saying i havent been pulling away at myself at night..... which i do.... every night.... in the nude

Obviously only to pictures of non-Irish models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think there are plenty of absolutely stunning Irish models but what does set them apart from the models of countries where the modelling industry is far bigger than that of Ireland is their size. Irish model agents don't expect skinniness. Some Irish models have beautiful shapely figures - Andrea Roche: now she is an example of a classic hourglass.

andrea3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It depends on the type of model... Irish rags have a habit of using the catchphrase 'models' - Fashion models have a different look from glam models, which have a different looks from models working in fine art... The list goes on. Even within the realm of Fashion modeling, you'll have different looks for high fashion, catwalk, editorial, etc. Anyways, most of the Irish models that are printed in rags are dyed blonde with a dodge tan... More akin to American glamour models, except not. [/rant over]
    ScumLord wrote: »

A lot of them do look fab in real life, and a lot of them don't... :)

Ireland does have some fantastic looking models though.

you see the thing is I'm not just talking about skinny catwalk models, i know i threw out the name Adriana Lima only for comparative purposes but i'm talking about models in general, be it bikini, catwalk, designer label, newspaper, magazines, even Clarks shoes models, i was just a little disappointed reading my Star newspaper at lunch today, i cried a bit from my eyeballs, when im used to crying in my pants

Dudess wrote: »
    andrea3.jpg

She's average looking. Average at best.

She has a strong jaw and in general a masculine face. The massive amount of makeup she's wearing can't hide that.

Nice body though, of course.

She is not good looking enough to be an international model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I definitely think it's her figure that's the most attractive thing about her - it's fantastic.

robby^5 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's a huge and stupid misconception, it's a ridiculous stereotype that the majority of Eastern European women are attractive. There is no one race or country that has more attractive women that another (unless your talking about countries with a bigger population that another)

If you really think that generally Eastern European women are more attractive I'd put that down to preferance.

Have you ever been to Eastern Europe?

Did I say the majority of Eastern European women are attractive, or was that just your stupid misconception?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When you compare the population of the UK with Ireland, there're are bound to be more stunners in the UK.

But on the other hand, I don't find so-called stunners, like Lily Cole, remotely stunning. She looks like she should get some sunlight and a few burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Sadly,

they (majority) dont hold a candle to most other models... with the exception of 1/2

even look here,
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=83081733

the "babe" in the background looks like a ,man rugby player in disguise!!
    and all their lyngerie looks like t'was bought in penny's rejects section.... not a good look me thinx :cool:

She's average looking. Average at best.

She has a strong jaw and in general a masculine face. The massive amount of makeup she's wearing can't hide that.

Nice body though, of course.

She is not good looking enough to be an international model.

I'm going to ask you to do something.
    Don't panic now....it won't hurt you.
    Turn away from the screen, have a good look around.
    There should be light coming from a rectangular shaped glass pass.
    Have a look through it. This is outside.
    Have another look around. You will find a series of rectangular shaped portals, keep opening them via the handle until you reach outside.
    Keep on moving and observe.
    You will soon be in a position to qualify average looking. You will find that Andrea Roche doesn't fit the term.

Your welcome.

• Advertisement

Have you ever been to Eastern Europe?

I have, there is definitely more stunning women there no doubt, but that doesnt mean we dont have some here too. Anyone been to Croatia? okay i dont want to seem like a pervert or crude when i say this but i would have sexual intercourse with those women

Advertisement