Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargains in Donegal

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Firblog wrote: »
    Given the time of year, thought i'd give one of my local shops (CCS in Donegal) a plug. They have 7" Android tablets with keyboard/cover for €99, for comparison Argos are €129 without keyboard/cover and Harvey Normans are €97 without keyboard/cover.

Is that the GoClever brand? I spotted them in Ben Sweeney's in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'd also like to say those looking at the cheap tablets be wary, yes they are cheap but they are for a reason, you really would need to be spending ~€200 for a tablet that you won't end up getting horribly fustrated with.

My mate got one from work for 10 years of service that he priced and its around €120 new (sony vizo or something like that) and although it does stuff like browse the net etc, its clunky as hell and just not "together" feeling if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

Is that the GoClever brand? I spotted them in Ben Sweeney's in Letterkenny.

That's them ok, got a similar one in CCS for a 10 y.o niece last year @ €169 an she loves it, uses it for reading books, downloading youtube videos, playing music and movies. Played with that 7" one in CCS and have to say it seems to be better/faster than the one I got :rolleyes:

@ Danniemcq you don't have to spend a fortune to get good quick tablet, half the price of an ipad is sheer profit for Apple, Samsungs have very high profit margins on their phones an tablets too, an all only give one year warranty... They say you get what ya pay for, but you don't get 2 tablets when you buy an apple ipad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

have to agree with firblog there is very decent tablets for under €200 if you look around.. i got my Hanspree HannsPadd in the summer for €150 (Easons in Letterkenny are selling a smaller version of mine for €99) and i havent had any bother with it at all.. the screen is very responsive .. & it seems to do everything an iPAD does.

however i researched first before i bought it & i do know there is a lot of dodgy cheap chinese tablets going about... if in doubt just look up a few reviews on youtube for the particular model before you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Firblog wrote: »
    @ Danniemcq you don't have to spend a fortune to get good quick tablet, half the price of an ipad is sheer profit for Apple, Samsungs have very high profit margins on their phones an tablets too, an all only give one year warranty... They say you get what ya pay for, but you don't get 2 tablets when you buy an apple ipad ;)
    oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    have to agree with firblog there is very decent tablets for under €200 if you look around.. i got my Hanspree HannsPadd in the summer for €150 (Easons in Letterkenny are selling a smaller version of mine for €99) and i havent had any bother with it at all.. the screen is very responsive .. & it seems to do everything an iPAD does.

however i researched first before i bought it & i do know there is a lot of dodgy cheap chinese tablets going about... if in doubt just look up a few reviews on youtube for the particular model before you buy!

Don't get me wrong lads, i know there is massive profit margins on a lot of tablets and there is some bargains, what i'm trying to get across is if you are looking for a tablet that is gonna be used fairly often and by someone who would want to take full advantage of whats available to them to consider your purchase.

They might say running android 4.0 or 4.1 but although thats whats running it there is a skin over that and thats often not perfect be it unresponsive touchscreen, crashing screens and apps not running the way they should.

you have to ask is there gonna be regular patches or fixes for any issues that arise? are any componants gonna fry themselves 6 months or a year down the road, is there a hacking community around it if you want to put a custom ROM or root it for additional options

Yes they are a bargain when you compare against other tablets but they still cost a fair chunk of change. and when you think that the companies selling them are making a profit on what they sell both Amazon and Google have tablets that they sell at cost (amazon at a slight loss possibly) as they have their online ecosystem to make them money. so if the specs are listed as the same but one is 70 quid less than the other you have to think of quality of ROM/Skin and internal parts

I never actually said what tablet to go for i just want to make people aware of issues that might arise. Most of the issues i've raised may not be issues for everyone i know and if all you are using it for is youtube, reading or a few apps then you should be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Just spotted Wisteria (Oliver Plunkett Road, Letterkenny) are clearing dresses from €30, getting ready for their relocation. Would be worth a look f you've an upcoming event or would just like a posh frock for "Ben's Boutique" prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not so much a Donegal specific bargain but if its any help to anyone viewing this I see that Supervalue are selling the new Call of Duty Ghosts game for €44.99 which is the cheapest it can be got for anywhere.

The offer might be for today only so get the skates on :)

muffler wrote: »
    Not so much a Donegal specific bargain but if its any help to anyone viewing this I see that Supervalue are selling the new Call of Duty Ghosts game for €44.99 which is the cheapest it can be got for anywhere.

The offer might be for today only so get the skates on :)
    There was still a good few of those in Supervalue, Ballybofey last night if anyone is interested. I would think the offer probably ends today or tomorrow at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

SportsWorld in Letterkenny selling all Donegal jerseys for €10. Plenty of sizes/colours available when I was in earlier.

Apparently Donegal are moving to O'Neill's next year, so the Azzurri shirts are going cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah probably true as Supervalu selling off the training zipped tops for €20 (from €50).

Advertising it as the 'ideal Xmas present'. Yeah thanks, sell me a top thats about to be out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah thanks, sell me a top thats about to be out of date.

I think you're getting mixed up with soccer jerseys that change every year and you daren't be seen in the old one.
    GAA gear never goes out of date. You still see the odd Magee shirt and loads of Abbey Hotel ones at games. You support your club or county not their current sponsor or however is making their gear at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Its still pretty cool to wear old jerseys at GAA games in my opinion. Not like soccer where there is pressure to have the latest kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

echo beach wrote: »
    I think you're getting mixed up with soccer jerseys that change every year and you daren't be seen in the old one.
    GAA gear never goes out of date. You still see the odd Magee shirt and loads of Abbey Hotel ones at games. You support your club or county not their current sponsor or however is making their gear at the moment.
    bohsboy wrote: »
    Its still pretty cool to wear old jerseys at GAA games in my opinion. Not like soccer where there is pressure to have the latest kit.

Not sure bout that. I have a 70's and 80's styled Liverpool jersey, both I wear on a regular basis.

:p

Although I take your point on the GAA jersey, would be nice if O'Neils were the new kit manufacturer and rereleased the old Abbey Hotel one.

Heiton Buckly, Port Road L/kenny have a one day sale this Saturday (24th May)

Got a flyer in today's post and there's a few bargains to be had.

Advertisement