Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''My Son Was Shot Because You Let Him Wear Make-Up, I'm Suing You!''

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Overheal wrote: »
    Onlyinamerica would seem in odd term to coin for what they're going through - I'm pretty sure it's called grief. I mean have some hindsight, weren't we all just here the other week where I had to listen to you guys screaming for blood because that Irish lad got shot?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327321

But I guess people only demand recompense in America. Oh wait..
    Yes. The whole world revolves around America.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    No, that's not what he said. He was saying that the killer was mentally disturbed, that he was not looking for any random kill, he murdered someone that to him was different. And when you're mentally disturbed and you've got a gun and you see something you don't like, tragedy will strike.

I'm going to have to blame the school, not for letting the poor chap wear make-up. But for not intervening sooner to realise the killer had issues. It's rare that someone who seems happy and behaves ends up shooting up a school. The school should have realised that he was a potential risk to his fellow students.
    So if he was just walking down the street while wearing make-up and was shot, would you blame the local council?

Man has gun. Man uses gun on another person. Man is to blame.

Overheal wrote: »
    oh **** off Terry and do your modjob. Stop leaving all these racist comments just sitting around.
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Terry wrote: »
    Man is to blame.

Stop pushing your feminazi agenda Terry! ;):D

The crux of this story is that if the parents believe the school is to blame for allowing the victim to dress in such a way as to be a target, then they must also believe that their son is to blame for dressing 'as a target' too.

You can extend that idea to say that girls who dress provocatively are at fault when they're raped. It's a warped line of reasoning and I hope the case gets thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Banned.

America is going to invade us now and impose their 'democracy' upon us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Nah, we won't, you haven't got any oil. But maybe for the Guinness...

• Advertisement

PillyPen wrote: »
    I dunno, Bush probably wouldnt realsie that the Irish 'black stuff' isint the same as oil.

Millions of pints would go wasted trying to provide fuel to his armoured cars and tanks.....

Lol, I'm kinda thinking that a coke-head alcoholic like Bush would know the difference, but I imagine he'd value Guinness and oil pretty equally.

PS-New president ftw! Yay!

There's always Rockall...

There's always Rockall...

Wow, I'd never heard of that before, thanks for the link. Crazy what countries will bicker over. Even if Bush does know about it, Ireland won't be invaded until after Saudi Arabia and Iran, so you have plenty of time to come up with a good battle plan. :rolleyes:

Battleplan?

We were just going to drink ya under the table. You'll wake up with a hangover and Cowen setting up camp in the white house.

• Advertisement

Ha, I can't imagine most Americans having a problem with that, tbh. I think even the fundies would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hisroyalbadness

Shooter is entirely at fault, I doubt their son would have liked his parents suing his school for letting him where what he wanted to wear after they abandoned him. Just sounds like they're looking for an easy buck now that they have the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

I read through most of the thread so sorry if that was brought up before and I missed it. If the school regulations forbid a male student to dress in a certain way and he breaks those rules and the school takes no actions, then it appears to me the parents would have a reasonable argument that the school had acted inappropiatly but I think any such argument would be diminished if e.g. the parents knew the boy was forbidden by school regulations to dress in the way he did and they i.e. the parents had encouraged him to dress in the way he did. Since I have seen barely any information about the details of this case, I am not as such making reference to the actual events which took place but to the general issues occasioned by the news report.

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

Shooter is entirely at fault, I doubt their son would have liked his parents suing his school for letting him where what he wanted to wear after they abandoned him. Just sounds like they're looking for an easy buck now that they have the opportunity.

Where does it say, he was "abandoned" not argueing with you, just like to track down the info.

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

So if he was just walking down the street while wearing make-up and was shot, would you blame the local council?

Man has gun. Man uses gun on another person. Man is to blame.

Yes I would actually, if the Local Council are willing to put someone with pyschological issues among peers, I would partly blame them.

Obviously the main culprit is the killer, but the LC, aware of previous issues is guilty for not making sure the person was fit to be among other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yes I would actually, if the Local Council are willing to put someone with pyschological issues among peers, I would partly blame them.

Obviously the main culprit is the killer, but the LC, aware of previous issues is guilty for not making sure the person was fit to be among other people.

Ok so if you were in charge of awarding damages, what percentage of reponsibility would you attribute to the local council in that case? And to the school in this case?

javaboy wrote: »
    Ok so if you were in charge of awarding damages, what percentage of reponsibility would you attribute to the local council in that case? And to the school in this case?

Hypothetically....
    • Local Council- they house a family with one particular delinquent in a neighbourhood. They are well aware that the delinquent has previous offence's and that they have been advised that he is still a danger. He re-offend's. I would blame the LC with about 70% of the responsibility.
    • A School goes for the same thing really in place of the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I blame society. ;)

now how do I go about suing them for everything they have? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/whispers

They're already here...

Sherifu wrote: »
    /whispers

They're already here...

Heh. In fairness, the Irish invaded America looooong before our current invasion. A little tit for tat never hurt anyone! :p

• Advertisement

Hypothetically....
    • Local Council- they house a family with one particular delinquent in a neighbourhood. They are well aware that the delinquent has previous offence's and that they have been advised that he is still a danger. He re-offend's. I would blame the LC with about 70% of the responsibility.
    • A School goes for the same thing really in place of the LC.
    Who the fúck is talking about delinquents?

Is someone who doesn't comform to societies norms a delinquent?
    Is it ok to shoot a delinquent?
    What the fúck are you talking about?

Listen, if you shoot someone, then you are to blame. Not society. Not your parents. Not your school. You and only you.

When the fúck are people going to take responsibility for their own actions?

Boo ****ing hoo. My parents didn't love me, so I'm going to shoot someone who makes me feel slighlty uncomfortable.

Fúcking hippies.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

Listen, if you shoot someone, then you are to blame. Not society. Not your parents. Not your school. You and only you.

Boo ****ing hoo. My parents didn't love me, so I'm going to shoot someone who makes me feel slighlty uncomfortable.

Fúcking hippies.

Haha nice.
    But I agree, people should take responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming anyone and everyone around them.

The parents are being ridiculous in sueing the school, and as I have said earlier if the school had banned the deceased from wearing make up and/or girls clothing then they would have probably sued for discrimination.

Its a loose loose situation.

Woah, woah, woah. For a mod, you're too quick at attacking posts.

Maybe delinquent is the wrong word. When I say delinquent, why don't you listen for a second- a mean a guy who has done things like stab people, being a terror to his peers, being a violent menace to his society for years but is still allowed on the streets.

Fúcking hippies.

I knew the guy who was murdered outside UCI Coolock. I knew very well of his murderer beforehand too so I am well aware of what menace's to society are. I am well aware of what **** ups happen that allow scumbags to stay on the streets even when they have vicious records. I have seen absolute scum get away with terrible acts of violence just because they are under 18 and the worse they can get is juvenile prison with laughable sentences. They are then back on the streets ready for a whole new reign of terror.

Don't you dare talk to me like that Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

im a bit like... if nobody was allowed guns - then there'd be a lot less of this stuff...
    True. However I understand that there are other countries with similar levels of gun ownership, but with nowhere near the levels of gun crime.

Mostly it's people who kill people. Deny said people guns, and they will just get creative.
    Ireland won't be invaded until after Saudi Arabia and Iran, so you have plenty of time to come up with a good battle plan. :rolleyes:
    I don't like the sound of that. How many people in the US armed forces? I'm not sure if we could feed that many POWs:pac:

Plus we're a bunch of fatties, you know, so the problem's more serious than you may think. :P

Woah, woah, woah. For a mod, you're too quick at attacking posts.
    Mods are people too.
    Don't you dare talk to me like that Terry.

I wasn't talking to you. I was making a general point about people not taking personal responsibility.

Mods are people too.

:pac: I understand that. I just felt you were fairly confrontational with my post. If you look at the top of the page I replied to you by saying that the person with the gun is the main culprit. Now someone else asked how I would feel about a local council in place of the school. I said if someone who is a repeat violent offender (who also shows very little rehabilative improvement) was moved to a different neighbourhood without a proper back-up check and he re-offends horribly then I would partly blame the LC.

I wasn't talking to you. I was making a general point about people not taking personal responsibility.

That's fine, I was just a bit taken aback by "What the **** are you talking about" and "****ing Hippies".:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This thread is irritating because it's generalizing Americans pretty harshly, but I'm going to prove the generalizations by responding to this. I'm from a smallish town in Pennsylvania, and a few years ago a woman was left to watch her two small grandchildren. She got distracted or was neglectful, or who really knows what, and the two children ended up drowning in a neighbor's pool. The family of the children then sued the NEIGHBOR for not having a fence around his pool.

There's worse out there. A cop in Florida last year responded to a call for a drowning kid in a pool. The family rushed to the door to let the cop in, and dripped water as they went. Cop rushes in, slips on the water, and falls, breaking a bone if I recall. Sues the family.

Public outcry resulted in the cop dropping the suit. Cop was later fired for bringing the police into disrepute. After all, who's going to call a cop for help if they're going to sue you?

NTM

Hadn't heard of that, that's crazy! What's NTM?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My initials.

NTM

Advertisement