Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''My Son Was Shot Because You Let Him Wear Make-Up, I'm Suing You!''

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm gonna sit this one one out I think.

Or maybe not. If he didn't dress the way he did it might never have happened. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been the person who he was. That guy shot by the cop recently in the US might never have been shot if he wasn't drunk and acting like a spa. That's not to say the cop was right to shoot him dead.
    The student who commited the crime didn't just shoot randomly into a crowd, he chose his target because of who he was. And the target deviated from what most people consider normal behaviour, drawing negative attention on himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 now i'm talkin'

LOL did anyone look at the tags for this thread? :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

fuck sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

They should sue Max Factor and Esteé Lauder. They have way more money than a school and if you think about it. It's their fault really for selling the makeup in the first place.

EDIT: I just realised it's being treated as a hate crime. Why isn't that just a normal murder where hate happens to be the motive? Should there be jealousy crimes and 'for the money' crimes as well with their own special sentences?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

FX Meister, stop trolling.

seamus, you're damn right I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Terry wrote: »
    seamus, you're damn right I am.

Using your modly powers to check tag authors I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FX Meister wrote: »
    The student who commited the crime didn't just shoot randomly into a crowd, he chose his target because of who he was. And the target deviated from what most people consider normal behaviour, drawing negative attention on himself.

So what you're effectively saying here is that, if you express your freedom in a harmless and perfectly legal manner, then you deserve to be beaten up/shot/persecuted...?

Dare I invoke Godwin's law? Again?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,256 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All offending comments have been reported. Play nice.
    FX Meister wrote: »
    All you said there was "it was a hate crime" ... we already know that.

Suing the school for not enforcing the dress code. Fascinating. That can only go in 2 directions: either the school ammends the dress code to allow sexual ambiguity, or they keep it good christian and incur a reputation for intolerance. Either way, taking money away from an education system is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Instead why not focus more on why didn't they catch this issue with the shooter before he went and found a gun? Its not something you just do overnight. Its a failure on the school system to stay on top of the issues behind why these kids are beating each other up.

And the victim? Where were the parents at? Did you buy him the bra? I mean for fecks sake, you have some input in what he ought to be wearing. Truth of the matter is they washed their hands, told him to wear whatever he wanted, and only cry wolf when it got him shot.

A tragedy to be sure, but an avoidable one.

The legal term for Hate Crime I think arises because of public outcry about it. Ultimately the minorities in the said crime feel much more at ease about it because being charged for a hate crime obviously incurs a much harsher penalty than a regularly-charged equivalent. You can disprove the charges in court like anything else, but its just another charge to hold you under arrest. That's all.
    Seems he wasn't even living with them. He was a ward of the court and living in a shelter for abused, neglected and emotionally disturbed children at the time of the shooting.

Well that won't help their case much either. Like I said, they abandoned their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it'll be a disgrace if they win. loosing their son has to be hard but the school isnt to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they should sue the person working on the bullet assembly line who put it together. Then maybe think about the company who made the car the killer drove, then the person who sold them fuel for the car. What about the killers parents? Or grandparents? Where does it stop? Then the killer can dig up the kids corpse and sue him back for making him kill him for looking the way he did. Idiots just looking for money to soften the blow of being so dumb.

I love how these discussions slow to a crawl as soon as I get involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Overheal wrote: »
    I love how these discussions slow to a crawl as soon as I get involved :)

It's because everyone loves you and they don't want to insult you. Yeah. That's it.

People (read: Americans) sue too readily these days.

Lies! I'll sue you for that remark.
    Quick to file for damages, it doesnt mean they always win.

Where would it say in a school's dress code that boys aren't allowed to wear make-up or feminine clothes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Where would it say in a school's dress code that boys aren't allowed to wear make-up or feminine clothes?

Most likely it would say that make up cannot be worn full stop, and clothing must not be too revealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

BrightEyes wrote: »
    Where is the link between allowing a boy to wear make up leading to his being shot? It is not the school's fault but most likely the parents trying to blame everyone but themselves

It's called "Only in America".

Onlyinamerica would seem in odd term to coin for what they're going through - I'm pretty sure it's called grief. I mean have some hindsight, weren't we all just here the other week where I had to listen to you guys screaming for blood because that Irish lad got shot?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327321

But I guess people only demand recompense in America. Oh wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

BrightEyes wrote: »

Where is the link between allowing a boy to wear make up leading to his being shot? It is not the school's fault but most likely the parents trying to blame everyone but themselves

This thread is irritating because it's generalizing Americans pretty harshly, but I'm going to prove the generalizations by responding to this. I'm from a smallish town in Pennsylvania, and a few years ago a woman was left to watch her two small grandchildren. She got distracted or was neglectful, or who really knows what, and the two children ended up drowning in a neighbor's pool. The family of the children then sued the NEIGHBOR for not having a fence around his pool.

I can't imagine what it's like to lose a child, and I can sort of understand wanting someone to blame, but lawsuits like these just don't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

PillyPen wrote: »
    This thread is irritating because it's generalizing Americans pretty harshly...

sorry, but you guys really do it to yourselves with the way american society has gone.

i'm not saying any one american is to blame as that would just be stupid but as a whole, US society is totallty fcukd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So what you're effectively saying here is that, if you express your freedom in a harmless and perfectly legal manner, then you deserve to be beaten up/shot/persecuted...?

Dare I invoke Godwin's law? Again?

No, that's not what he said. He was saying that the killer was mentally disturbed, that he was not looking for any random kill, he murdered someone that to him was different. And when you're mentally disturbed and you've got a gun and you see something you don't like, tragedy will strike.

I'm going to have to blame the school, not for letting the poor chap wear make-up. But for not intervening sooner to realise the killer had issues. It's rare that someone who seems happy and behaves ends up shooting up a school. The school should have realised that he was a potential risk to his fellow students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

:confused: god.....

frikkin yanks....

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    No, that's not what he said. He was saying that the killer was mentally disturbed, that he was not looking for any random kill, he murdered someone that to him was different. And when you're mentally disturbed and you've got a gun and you see something you don't like, tragedy will strike.

I'm going to have to blame to school, not for letting the poor chap wear make-up. But for not intervening sooner to realise the killer had issues. It's rare that someone who seems happy and behaves ends up shooting up a school. The school should have realised that he was a potential risk to his fellow students.

indeed... while you have a point... you know what i see may be part of the problem? Mental people having guns / being sold guns
    Stop giving everybody weapons... they will then have to b*tch slap eachother like the auld days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

indeed... while you have a point... you know what i see may be part of the problem? Mental people having guns / being sold guns
    Stop giving everybody weapons... they will then have to b*tch slap eachother like the auld days..

True, and from the previous thread I want to stress that I in no way support certain section's of America's gun culture. But I think the reality is that strict gun control is not going to happen anytime soon in America.

Also, in a lot of instances of shootings, it is not their own gun. They manage to get their hands on daddy's gun, or their brother's gun.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PillyPen wrote: »
    This thread is irritating because it's generalizing Americans pretty harshly, but I'm going to prove the generalizations by responding to this. I'm from a smallish town in Pennsylvania, and a few years ago a woman was left to watch her two small grandchildren. She got distracted or was neglectful, or who really knows what, and the two children ended up drowning in a neighbor's pool. The family of the children then sued the NEIGHBOR for not having a fence around his pool.

I can't imagine what it's like to lose a child, and I can sort of understand wanting someone to blame, but lawsuits like these just don't help anyone.

I really don't see anything odd in that. In many countries, households are required to have third-party civil liability insurance and pools are legally required to have fences around them. It makes sense to claim against the insurance policy in place for exactly that reason.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    True, and from the previous thread I want to stress that I in no way support certain section's of America's gun culture. But I think the reality is that strict gun control is not going to happen anytime soon in America.

Also, in a lot of instances of shootings, it is not their own gun. They manage to get their hands on daddy's gun, or their brother's gun.

im a bit like... if nobody was allowed guns - then there'd be a lot less of this stuff...

For a country so big.. they fair stooopid..

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorry, but you guys really do it to yourselves with the way american society has gone.

i'm not saying any one american is to blame as that would just be stupid but as a whole, US society is totallty fcukd.

There are definitely issues with it, but there are with every society. America just gets more shit for it because our "culture" (lack of it, in my opinion) gets exported and is therefore more subject to criticism.

I'm not a crazy America-supporter, but hearing about how stupid Americans are all the time, even though I feel no connection whatsoever with the aspects of the culture that people despise, gets tiring. It's upsetting to think that I as an individual am getting judged for my bullshit society, which I've always had problems with and have always wanted to leave. Frankly, if an American made comments about how stupid other countries were, we'd be lambasted for our ignorance and arrogance, but somehow ragging on America is pretty fashionable.

I know it's not actually being done against individuals, but it's hard to separate your country of origin from your general identity.
    I really don't see anything odd in that. In many countries, households are required to have third-party civil liability insurance and pools are legally required to have fences around them. It makes sense to claim against the insurance policy in place for exactly that reason.

I don't know. It made pretty big waves here for being spiteful, but I have no idea what the laws actually are. Anyway, I think the grandmother should have accepted responsibility for not properly watching the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

reminds me of a "speach" Johnny Cash made before the song ragged old flag

cash: Ya know, im really proud of all the freedoms and rights we have in this country,
    Audience: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY
    cash:even the right to burn our own flag
    Audience: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    cash: but we also have the right to bear arms, and if you burn my flag, ill shoot you.
    Audience: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY

stupid hypocrits

If you're going to make a douchebag statement then call an entire country stupid, you should probably at least spell "hypocrites" properly. And "speech". Just sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

EEJITS :)

Advertisement