Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you "Random"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Found yourself shouting it out yet?!... ITS NOT RANDOM!... randomly of course... :rolleyes:

The odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's a phrase used excessively by students these days I've noticed...

It's overuse is rather irritating.

What ever happened to good old 'eccentric weirdos'?
    There you are.

eveie wrote: »
    do you know where you'l find plenty of random people.....well where else other then the randomness of maynooth. being stuck beside them on a train after a ten hr day is pretty (tough) i mean random.
    so you know what else really annoys me, is the fact they are always trying to sound intelligent and out do eachother
    That's not random. It's just a bunch of NUIM first years.

Ok, I'm walking through Clondalkin. I see men and women and children. They are all dressed in 'normal' attire, driving 'normal' cars and doing 'normal' things.

Then I see this cowboy/soldier dude cycling a three wheeled bike flanked by rottweilers howling abuse and singing songs at passers by.

That's not random? Will you settle for 'themed random'?

I can't believe you're trying to reduce the status of mad James. I won't have it.

:mad:
    Have you spent much time in Clondalkin.
    I've seen some fairly strange stuff there over the years.

Also, that would be classed as strange and not random.

Lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

Dave147 wrote: »
    If there's one thing that annoys me about people it's that they try so hard to be 'different' so they created this thing where they do silly things and call it 'random'. It absolutely does my head in, fair enough you want to do something silly but do you need to keep labelling yourself as 'random'? Some people will probably think I'm just being ridiculous, but it annoys the fcuking sh!te out of me!!

So for my sanity.. Does anyone else find this annoying?

yeah, just like random people putting their random car in their random sig meh..isn't everyone random...meh..what a random thread

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Terry wrote: »

Have you spent much time in Clondalkin.
    I've seen some fairly strange stuff there over the years.

Also, that would be classed as strange and not random.

Lotto.

27 years, give or take the college years.

I think I'll start an 'Acknowledge Mad James is Random' movement.

I want it to apply to him, he's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word random, and rather than change the pathways of my brain that have made the association, I wish to amend the meaning of the word to include 'lacking any definite plan or order or purpose : governed by or depending on chance : taken haphazardly : Mad James in Cherrywood. Clondalkin.'

Any takers? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I find it more funny that people get their knickers in a twist over syntax and semantics over a words incorrect usage.

I have no problem people saying someone is random. They are clearly getting across there point, and in a casual setting, that is all they need to do. While I might be concerned about someones lack of eloquence in a formal text or conversation, everyday conversation with friends doesn't need to have the strict conventions.

Someone describing themselves as random is a tool; they are trying to live up to a certain image. They are trying to convince people on how cool they are.

I can understand how someone would find it annoying because of it over usage. I personally hate when people say something is class or deadly. One that I always found strange as a foreigner was when someone would say someone is gas. But Christ, I got over it. They're fads.

• Advertisement

No, I am an electrochemical machine that reacts to situations based on advanced algorithms that have survived and grown due to evolution.

P.....Pa.....Pat Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

27 years, give or take the college years.

I think I'll start an 'Acknowledge Mad James is Random' movement.

I want it to apply to him, he's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word random, and rather than change the pathways of my brain that have made the association, I wish to amend the meaning of the word to include 'lacking any definite plan or order or purpose : governed by or depending on chance : taken haphazardly : Mad James in Cherrywood. Clondalkin.'

Any takers? ;)

Yes but when you conjur up the image of Mad James you see a man with a handlebar moustache decked out in camo/cowboy gear on a 3 wheeled bike with accompanying dogs. Therefore he's not random as it's highly predictable and probable.

Now if you passed a friend of yours who dresses in 'normal' attire one day and he was dressed like this you'd rightly be entitled to think "Now THAT's random".

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Naos wrote: »
    Yes but when you conjur up the image of Mad James you see a man with a handlebar moustache decked out in camo/cowboy gear on a 3 wheeled bike with accompanying dogs. Therefore he's not random as it's highly predictable and probable.

Now if you passed a friend of yours who dresses in 'normal' attire one day and he was dressed like this you'd rightly be entitled to think "Now THAT's random".

Does this mean you'll be member number 2 of my movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭waterford mma

the most annoying thing about these people is their bebo profiles. typical cookie cutter profiles, every monday morning they have added a photo album about saturday nights "random" session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jackbutler

i use to say i had a "random" personality

but eventually even i realised how annoying i was

i tend to be different with different people, people i dont know, i tend to be more calm and controlled, but with a few friends i tend to have a good time any way i can :]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

Did anyone else play Random on there calculator in school.

So random is the new thing to be. But surely after a while every one will know that you are random which means you're now predictable. They know you're going to do something odd or stupid, so how random are you.

I prefer being myself. If I do something 'Random' then it's going to be something out-of-character and going to be more entertaining (well, hopefully anyway) and more of a surprise.

On a little side note: No one is normal. Everyone does something that someone else things is weird. Who wants to be normal anyway. Its more fun having some slightly eccentric tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

You feel sorry for people who begrudge people who enjoy a certain lifestyle? Really? I'm going to forget for a minute that your username contains the word random.

Oh please don't forget my name by all means. I feel sorry for anyone who begrudges ANYONE of what they are or enjoy being like.Don't you not have enough people hating you with that attidude, than get everyone who is different on your case.Maybe not. I loved the way you spotted the word "random" in my username, but by all means comment on it if it really gets to you.
    You never thought you were random, but people kept saying you were.. I can't help but think you're random, I don't know why.. You have a wild imagination, thats super, honestly, so do I.. but do you feel the need to say you're 'random' because such an imagination leads you to think and do kerrrrrazy things? If yes, then you're a muppet. If no, then don't take any offence to anything just said!

See this is the thing, I don't think you do that.I don't say I am random ever .Look ,go back, do that thinking thing you said you do and find where I call myself random. Random Chatbox is my name due to the fact I talk to everyone at random,it is not an adjective to describe my personality. Never said I was random.I have been called random due to the way ,I will be talking about medical research to a show I used to watch as a kid, to shakespeare.

See I am the "If no, then don't take any offence to anything just said!".But all you wanted to do is come into this forum because you are p1ssed off at something in your own life.Yes,I even find it feckin annoying, but these kids are just trying to find there feet ,it's a phase. Look at the funny side and see how these people will cringe when they look back at who they were.

ANd think about it,if I was random in the context you have given I would have said "bannana" 15 times by now followed by a monkey or two.

If that reference to 'comfortable in their own skin' is directed at me then you're quite blindly dumb.. I'm criticisng these others because they're absolute twats who need a good slap in the face. I know exactly who I am, I don't need to make a point of being different every chance I get, which ironically is precisely what makes me different. Whoop-de-doo!

Why do you feel a need to criticise them? Have they messed you about , physically/mentally abused you or have they just been dithering idiots that have got your back up becuse they act so differently to you?
    Now there are things that annoy me much more than these people.Why do you even care? They may annoy you, but I can think of many people who would leave you for dead,these guys are not malicious on the whole and if you say they have an intimidating persona , well I really do worry.

They people you are complaining about do not know exactly who they are, but good for you for knowing exactly who you are.These kids don't . If they were robbing stealing doing something malicious or intimidating ,well go ahead complain away ,I will understand and I would detest them.

But they are not are they,they just annoy you a little which is a bit pathetic. My god , I have told numerous people like that to think before they speak, but sometimes in jest ,it is ok to be that way,breaks away from the drudgery of reality.

I have my moments of randomness and I would rather be like that then boring(which is what I would be if I didn't explore my imagination),we are all different people and I am sure you are a nice bloke who seems to know who he is and cringes at the thought of these people acting stupid (not random) for a bit of attention.In summary I do argee with you about these kids having to act stpid to find themselve,but it's just a phase.Have a laugh while it is around ,something that you can look back on a think "what idiots".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wow! Was that a random (chatbox) answer!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I blame Noel Fielding. The unfunny cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Superquinn sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

dan719 wrote: »

Sorry, I pished myself laughing at this.........I cant stop!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/chin_grin/funny.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

I used to be random.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Phlann wrote: »
    I blame Noel Fielding. The unfunny cúnt.
    you sir are out of order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

taidghbaby wrote: »
    you sir are out of order

+1

Some people do seem to naturally have the type of personality currently labelled as "random" by the kiddies. A friend of my sister's was random before people thought it was cool, and everyone just thought she was bat**** crazy. (In the taxi the other night she was sitting in between myself and another friend I was aruguing with over her head (she's tiny) and someone asked her was she glad she sat in the middle, and she said deadly seriously "ya, if I look out the windscreen it looks like I'm running really fast") But people do seem to have cultivated this "randomness" to try and cover up for something or try to be "cool" yeah, you're wearing lego in your hair and you keep saying banana, that's fantastic, we should do lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

mada999 wrote: »
    yeah, just like random people putting their random car in their random sig meh..isn't everyone random...meh..what a random thread

Can ya help sounding like a twat or is that just the way you are?

Oh please don't forget my name by all means. I feel sorry for anyone who begrudges ANYONE of what they are or enjoy being like.Don't you not have enough people hating you with that attidude, than get everyone who is different on your case.Maybe not. I loved the way you spotted the word "random" in my username, but by all means comment on it if it really gets to you.

See this is the thing, I don't think you do that.I don't say I am random ever .Look ,go back, do that thinking thing you said you do and find where I call myself random. Random Chatbox is my name due to the fact I talk to everyone at random,it is not an adjective to describe my personality. Never said I was random.I have been called random due to the way ,I will be talking about medical research to a show I used to watch as a kid, to shakespeare.

See I am the "If no, then don't take any offence to anything just said!".But all you wanted to do is come into this forum because you are p1ssed off at something in your own life.Yes,I even find it feckin annoying, but these kids are just trying to find there feet ,it's a phase. Look at the funny side and see how these people will cringe when they look back at who they were.

ANd think about it,if I was random in the context you have given I would have said "bannana" 15 times by now followed by a monkey or two.

Why do you feel a need to criticise them? Have they messed you about , physically/mentally abused you or have they just been dithering idiots that have got your back up becuse they act so differently to you?
    Now there are things that annoy me much more than these people.Why do you even care? They may annoy you, but I can think of many people who would leave you for dead,these guys are not malicious on the whole and if you say they have an intimidating persona , well I really do worry.

They people you are complaining about do not know exactly who they are, but good for you for knowing exactly who you are.These kids don't . If they were robbing stealing doing something malicious or intimidating ,well go ahead complain away ,I will understand and I would detest them.

But they are not are they,they just annoy you a little which is a bit pathetic. My god , I have told numerous people like that to think before they speak, but sometimes in jest ,it is ok to be that way,breaks away from the drudgery of reality.

I have my moments of randomness and I would rather be like that then boring(which is what I would be if I didn't explore my imagination),we are all different people and I am sure you are a nice bloke who seems to know who he is and cringes at the thought of these people acting stupid (not random) for a bit of attention.In summary I do argee with you about these kids having to act stpid to find themselve,but it's just a phase.Have a laugh while it is around ,something that you can look back on a think "what idiots".

Seriously. Look at what forum you are in, I don't hate these people, they just annoy me with this thing they do. I am entitled to let it annoy me, regardless of how trivial you think it is, I exaggerated how much I hate the word 'random' for effect, it's not like it keeps me up at night or that I'll punch a person in the face for saying it.

I could poke many holes in your post, but seeing as this is a light hearted discussion I'm not going to. I'll just say that yes it is a phase, so let me hate it now and I can still look back and think "what idiots". It's a win-win for me :D this is not a very serious thread so don't treat it like one!

Seriously. Look at what forum you are in, I don't hate these people, they just annoy me with this thing they do. I am entitled to let it annoy me, regardless of how trivial you think it is, I exaggerated how much I hate the word 'random' for effect, it's not like it keeps me up at night or that I'll punch a person in the face for saying it.

I could poke many holes in your post, but seeing as this is a light hearted discussion I'm not going to. I'll just say that yes it is a phase, so let me hate it now and I can still look back and think "what idiots". It's a win-win for me :D this is not a very serious thread so don't treat it like one!

Poke through it all you want , you seem very aggressive over it and I don't care if you want to hate something tbh but there is enough hate around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

What pisses me off is when people think they 'scare' other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Its not random when you've been thinking about it for the last 10 minutes

Poke through it all you want , you seem very aggressive over it and I don't care if you want to hate something tbh but there is enough hate around

Stop, seriously. I'm finding it harder and harder to take you seriously. Now I could retort, and insult you but it's not my style, what does me hating this have to do with 'all the hate in the world'? It's a little bit different don't you think..

You obviously do care that I hate something, you care so much that you keep going on about it even though I already told you it's light hearted.

Stop, seriously. I'm finding it harder and harder to take you seriously. Now I could retort, and insult you but it's not my style, what does me hating this have to do with 'all the hate in the world'? It's a little bit different don't you think..

You obviously do care that I hate something, you care so much that you keep going on about it even though I already told you it's light hearted.
    you care so much that you keep going on about it even though I already told you it's light hearted.[/
    Well it's hard to take you seriously when you were the one who tried to disect my post.When I did it to you ,you went and said you see many holes in my arguement and say it was just light hearted.

You were the one who opened this thread, you obviously care about it alot more than me ,I just don't like being talked down to, which is what you tried to do when making you points .
    Now I could retort, and insult you but it's not my style
    Now , I have no Insulted you have I . You say it's not your style.Is it just not your style when things are going your way?
    You obviously do care that I hate something
    No ,why would I ,I know you are going to respond to this in the same fashion and you know what I am not going to( do you a little favour) .
    what does me hating this have to do with 'all the hate in the world'? It's a little bit different don't you think..
    Of course it is ,but what is the point.This is as nonsensical as the hatred of Racism,Sexism and Anti-Semitism and that is why I don't like it .No point to it and does nobody any good.

Well that's all I have to say ,hope you see what I mean and good luck against the randomers.They'll come at you like buzzards:D

Ok it's as simple as this, you turned what was a lighthearted discussion and a laugh into a serious thing about hatred, I do not HATE* these people, I do HATE* the labelling of themselves as random, it annoys me. That's my business. If you give me a reason to talk to you as a contemporary then I will, but you seem to keep missing my point, and it's getting ever more frustrating to explain it when you wont listen and are too busy trying to portray me as something I'm not!
    This is as nonsensical as the hatred of Racism,Sexism and Anti-Semitism and that is why I don't like it .No point to it and does nobody any good.
    So you've tried to turn a thread about 'random' into hatred of the jews.. Well done. This thread is doing me a bit of good, I've enjoyed most of the responses and I also feel quite liberated.

*my use of the word hate is free flowing, if I say I hate something, don't take it so literal. I may just really dislike it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I've been told I'm random but I tend to disagree... alot of what I say is relevent (in my head at least) I just happen to forget to mention the whole story before saying a sentence..

i.e. Walking down through the town in heels, I couldn't help but think how difficult goose stepping would be in them. Then I said "Imagine Hitler in these shoes.." and my friends looked at me like I was mad.

I'm not "random", I just leave alot out when making points xD

I hate people who try desperately to "be random" (when really they're not, because you're so used to them talking crap at this stage, that nothing seems out of the blue anymore). It's sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Advertisement