Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you "Random"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Tigger wrote: »
    Founding in 2006, Alticor Corporate Enterprises is a subsidiary holding corporation of Alticor's non-direct selling companies.

Ok we have our winner... Captain Random if you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ok we have our winner... Captain Random if you like...

I actually thought it was pretty predictable that someone would post a seemingly random comment from the internet. It was therefore not very random now was it?

I think the whole misuse of "random" is eventually going to lead to a perfectly good word being put to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭soozb82

I COMPLETELY agree!! Random is up there with 'mad', 'mental' and 'great craic' people - self titled of course!! These are the sort of people who bring home shopping trollies and traffic cones when drunk, I know I am not the only person who doesn't really see the humour in this. Am I???

javaboy wrote: »
    I actually thought it was pretty predictable that someone would post a seemingly random comment from the internet. It was therefore not very random now was it?

I think the whole misuse of "random" is eventually going to lead to a perfectly good word being put to sleep.

Ah but you see it wasnt a random comment from the internet.. it was an intentional act - and as such surpassed your vision to foresee his actions... hence random quote... :cool:

Ah but you see it wasnt a random comment from the internet.. it was an intentional act - and as such surpassed your vision to foresee his actions... hence random quote... :cool:

I put in the word "seemingly" to counter this exact line of reasoning.

• Advertisement

I put in the word "seemingly" to counter this exact line of reasoning.

Yes but the comment itself was random... probably from an I feel lucky search...

So your double level of protection was passed by his third...

You said it aint random because you expected someone to post a seemingly random quote...
    Well he intentionally posted an actual random quote...

Ta-da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

OP i completely see where your coming from!
    the word random is totally overused, it really bugs me.
    guess what we're all different, people try far too hard to be different i presume their just trying to create their own identity. but please please please use another word!!!!!aghhhhhh call yourself strange or something

Yes but the comment itself was random... probably from an I feel lucky search...

So your double level of protection was passed by his third...

You said it aint random because you expected someone to post a seemingly random quote...
    Well he intentionally posted an actual random quote...

Ta-da

Google's I Feel Lucky is not random. I win at splitting hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

""I love lamp."
    HA HA HA! I'm so random, randomly quoting Anchorman. Will Ferrell is so random. Cheese cheese duck meow."

-An example of most conversations between students nowadays.

Google's I Feel Lucky is not random. I win at splitting hairs.

Randomly escapes out random exit... randomly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

do you know where you'l find plenty of random people.....well where else other then the randomness of maynooth. being stuck beside them on a train after a ten hr day is pretty (tough) i mean random.
    so you know what else really annoys me, is the fact they are always trying to sound intelligent and out do eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I never thought I was random,but people kept saying I was.

I have a wild imagination, I am never bored and I feel sorry for people with begrudging posts about people who enjoy being a certain way.They are the people so uncomfortable in their own skin they have to criticise others.

You feel sorry for people who begrudge people who enjoy a certain lifestyle? Really? I'm going to forget for a minute that your username contains the word random.

You never thought you were random, but people kept saying you were.. I can't help but think you're random, I don't know why.. You have a wild imagination, thats super, honestly, so do I.. but do you feel the need to say you're 'random' because such an imagination leads you to think and do kerrrrrazy things? If yes, then you're a muppet. If no, then don't take any offence to anything just said!

If that reference to 'comfortable in their own skin' is directed at me then you're quite blindly dumb.. I'm criticisng these others because they're absolute twats who need a good slap in the face. I know exactly who I am, I don't need to make a point of being different every chance I get, which ironically is precisely what makes me different. Whoop-de-doo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

What a random thread

Well evidently this thread doesn't lack purpose. Despite how trivial this matter is (and lets face it, most threads in this forum are.. which makes it so great!) we're still getting a point across. Now I don't mean to brag, but when I was in school I was part of the english debate team, so I'm a professional arguer :P

Basically to sum up my point once and for all, I don't care if someone is genuinely unique and does something spontaneous just for the sake of it, but for gods sake please don't go around labelling 'it' (being whatever you do) and yourself as 'random'. You sound like a total retard and also completely negate what you're trying to achieve in the first place.

We're all weird enough as it is, so just be yourself and you should be fine. Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

My feelings towards this topic prompted me to jump straight from the first to last page.

"That/He/She is so random" Excessively annoys me.

So over- and mis-used.

I'll stop now because I can't properly articulate my feelings
    through the medium of t'internet.

Not sure why this is such an issue for me and other people
    anybody any ideas on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

When you put all my random parts together I'm not that different from any other guy.... apart from those few extra inches I'm packing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Dave147 wrote: »
    If there's one thing that annoys me about people it's that they try so hard to be 'different' so they created this thing where they do silly things and call it 'random'. It absolutely does my head in, fair enough you want to do something silly but do you need to keep labelling yourself as 'random'? Some people will probably think I'm just being ridiculous, but it annoys the fcuking sh!te out of me!!

So for my sanity.. Does anyone else find this annoying?

I know a dude, Mad James or the Sherrif he's called. Totally his own man, dresses like an army cowboy (if that makes sense),big blonde handlebar tache, has several rottweilers, house is covered in giant replica bullets and those horned cow skulls you see in the desert in cartoons. He veers between friendly and I'll-bite-yer-face-off and is a total legend in Clondalkin. He cycles this mad bike with the rottweilers trotting along beside him. He used to bring the dogs up to the boys school and let them loose in the yard :eek: and we saw him on tv in the crowd at the world cup, decked out in full Sherrif regalia cheering on the Irish team.
    He's truly random and I think he's great.
    I get what you mean though, if you try to be random then you're not.

MadJames..

Sounds like a character!

Yep you're on the ball..

I know a dude, Mad James or the Sherrif he's called. Totally his own man, dresses like an army cowboy (if that makes sense),big blonde handlebar tache, has several rottweilers, house is covered in giant replica bullets and those horned cow skulls you see in the desert in cartoons. He veers between friendly and I'll-bite-yer-face-off and is a total legend in Clondalkin. He cycles this mad bike and we saw him in the crowd at the world cup, decked out in full Sherrif regalia cheering on the Irish team.
    He's truly random and I think he's great.
    I get what you mean tho, if you try to be random then you're not.

This guy you're talking about is obviously cultivating a particular image. He seems to have a wild west fetish or something. It's not random. If his actions/dress sense/home decor were random, why do they all seem to have a recurring theme? Please use a more appropriate word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Dave147 wrote: »
    MadJames..

Sounds like a character!

Yep you're on the ball..

hehe he sounds epic:pac:

• Advertisement

This guy you're talking about is obviously cultivating a particular image. He seems to have a wild west fetish or something. It's not random. If his actions/dress sense/home decor were random, why do they all seem to have a recurring theme? Please use a more appropriate word.

Eh random theme for a man in Clondalkin to pick?

Please lose your anal attitude.

Eh random theme for a man in Clondalkin to pick?

I drive a blue car. I picked the colour at random. Therefore I'm so random.
    Please lose your anal attitude.

My attitude to anal is my own business. What's said in the S&S forum, stays in the S&S forum.

I drive a blue car. I picked the colour at random. Therefore I'm so random.

My attitude to anal is my own business. What's said in the S&S forum, stays in the S&S forum.

Ok, I'm walking through Clondalkin. I see men and women and children. They are all dressed in 'normal' attire, driving 'normal' cars and doing 'normal' things.

Then I see this cowboy/soldier dude cycling a three wheeled bike flanked by rottweilers howling abuse and singing songs at passers by.

That's not random? Will you settle for 'themed random'?

I can't believe you're trying to reduce the status of mad James. I won't have it.

:mad:

Ok, I'm walking through Clondalkin. I see men and women and children. They are all dressed in 'normal' attire, driving 'normal' cars and doing 'normal' things.

Then I see this cowboy/soldier dude cycling a three wheeled bike flanked by rottweilers howling abuse and singing songs at passers by.

That's not random? Will you settle for 'themed random'?

No it's not random. He was probably heavily influence by American culture and spaghetti westerns. Similar to people who cultivate the heavy metal look.

He is not like the other 'normal' people doing normal things so maybe 'abnormal' or 'different' would be a better word to use.
    I can't believe you're trying to reduce the status of mad James. I won't have it.

:mad:

Mad James sounds perfectly acceptable. He sounds a bit strange I'll admit. But he's not random.

jester77 wrote: »
    When you put all my random parts together I'm not that different from any other guy.... apart from those few extra inches I'm packing!!

Maybe you could try weightwatchers if you are a bit embarrassed by your few extra inches ... ;)

Maybe you could try weightwatchers if you are a bit embarrassed by your few extra inches ... ;)

You know if they tried lifting some weights instead of watching them all the time, they might actually get somewhere.

No it's not random. He was probably heavily influence by American culture and spaghetti westerns. Similar to people who cultivate the heavy metal look.

He is not like the other 'normal' people doing normal things so maybe 'abnormal' or 'different' would be a better word to use.

Mad James sounds perfectly acceptable. He sounds a bit strange I'll admit. But he's not random.

Of course that's what he was influenced by.

My point is that if I were in Montana or Colorado I might see plenty of his ilk.

In Clondalkin, it's pure random.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm proud of my inches, there's a whole forum dedicated to us jolly folk :D

Of course that's what he was influenced by.

My point is that if I were in Montana or Colorado I might see plenty of his ilk.

In Clondalkin, it's pure random.

If he does things because he was influenced, then they're not really random. He's different from most people around him. He's strange. He's weird. He's eccentric etc. He's not random. It's not random.

• Advertisement

If he does things because he was influenced, then they're not really random. He's different from most people around him. He's strange. He's weird. He's eccentric etc. He's not random. It's not random.

Found yourself shouting it out yet?!... ITS NOT RANDOM!... randomly of course... :rolleyes:

Advertisement