Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I paid 250 for my first appointment in Vincents, and 100 for all follow up appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kaonashi

Hi all, I see a lot of you is struggling with symptoms of psoriasis guttate.
    I'm not a doc but speak from experience. I've got symptoms for the first time last year. This happened only 2 weeks before summer holidays. Straight to the doc, diagnosis was spot on. Was told to use skin moisturiser - I've used Aveeno skin relief menthol and some shampoo recommended by pharmacist. Can't remember which one. Doctor said it's due to lack of sun and deficiency of vitamin D3. Lightbulb. My diet was bad and I wasn't exposed to sunlight. Started eating more fish and golden linseed. Went on holidays to Mallorca. Body covered in spots wtf am I gonna do. Doc said to expose my self to sun and he said that it will help. So after 5 days out in the sun spots are gone!!!

Weather is great at the moment. Get your ass out and get the sun while it lasts because this is the free treatment to your psoriaris.
    My late aunt who had a nasty psoriaris on her knees and elbows would spend her annual leave in Malta. Whenever she was back from her holidays her psoriaris wasn't visible for good few months.

I've had not experienced any symptoms since last year. Eating well. Whenever weather is good I'm out treating my self for free.

Hope this might help some of ye. Best of luck.

PS. My kid had some symptoms on elbows recently. Doc recommended Dovonex over the counter cream. Skin on elbows have improved within 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Kaonashi wrote: »
    Hi all, I see a lot of you is struggling with symptoms of psoriasis guttate.
    I'm not a doc but speak from experience. I've got symptoms for the first time last year. This happened only 2 weeks before summer holidays. Straight to the doc, diagnosis was spot on. Was told to use skin moisturiser - I've used Aveeno skin relief menthol and some shampoo recommended by pharmacist. Can't remember which one. Doctor said it's due to lack of sun and deficiency of vitamin D3. Lightbulb. My diet was bad and I wasn't exposed to sunlight. Started eating more fish and golden linseed. Went on holidays to Mallorca. Body covered in spots wtf am I gonna do. Doc said to expose my self to sun and he said that it will help. So after 5 days out in the sun spots are gone!!!

Weather is great at the moment. Get your ass out and get the sun while it lasts because this is the free treatment to your psoriaris.
    My late aunt who had a nasty psoriaris on her knees and elbows would spend her annual leave in Malta. Whenever she was back from her holidays her psoriaris wasn't visible for good few months.

I've had not experienced any symptoms since last year. Eating well. Whenever weather is good I'm out treating my self for free.

Hope this might help some of ye. Best of luck.

PS. My kid had some symptoms on elbows recently. Doc recommended Dovonex over the counter cream. Skin on elbows have improved within 4 days.

Sounds promising. I too only developed it last year and diet was bad plus i have depression which just makes me more stressed. One little patch on my leg last June and now its all over the place.
    That one healed and no more appreared as i was on Holiday in Thailand. Since i came home it's just got worse
    Hopefully will have a good long holiday in the next few months.

I couldn't sleep last night at all. Itching everywhere, even places that are not covered by it.

I know fish is good but i am not a seafood man, the most i would eat would be Tuna or whitefish like cod or haddock., something that doesn't have a strong smell.
    My forehead looks terrible, i have to wear a cap when going out as i feel embarrassed by it. My legs are really bad too. The only place that seems to be healing are my arms.

I also take Orovite multi vitamins. I also need to start drinking much more water and stop alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I know fish is good but i am not a seafood man, the most i would eat would be Tuna or whitefish like cod or haddock., something that doesn't have a strong smell.
    I hated the smell of tinned oily fish when I was growing up. Still do not like the smell of some types, however I wanted to force myself to eat some and got some flavoured mackerel and actual have grown to like it. I would have considered myself to be a "white fish only" person, I would not eat tuna or salmon.

First I got was tesco Teriyaki mackerel, which is like a sweetish soy sauce type thing. More recently they have a sweet chilli one, and curry.

Only 50cent for the teriyaki one so worth a try. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271184021

this one is 99cent and in a hot chilli sauce which should mask things
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300535571

curry is showing as no longer available
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267145892

rubadub wrote: »
    I hated the smell of tinned oily fish when I was growing up. Still do not like the smell of some types, however I wanted to force myself to eat some and got some flavoured mackerel and actual have grown to like it. I would have considered myself to be a "white fish only" person, I would not eat tuna or salmon.

First I got was tesco Teriyaki mackerel, which is like a sweetish soy sauce type thing. More recently they have a sweet chilli one, and curry.

Only 50cent for the teriyaki one so worth a try. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271184021

this one is 99cent and in a hot chilli sauce which should mask things
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300535571

curry is showing as no longer available
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267145892

I used to love Mackeral with the pepper coating. Might try again. I hate Salmon. I love Tuna though so will make a nice Tuna salad to eat for lunch now.

• Advertisement

I couldn't sleep last night at all. Itching everywhere, even places that are not covered by it.
    I have diphenhydramine antihistamine tablets. These both relieve itching and make you drowsy so you go off to sleep easily.

They can be sold under many brand names, used for hayfever, or sleeping tablets. They might be wildly different prices for the same amounts.

I usually just use eurax anti itching cream which I find excellent, however a few months ago I had a very bad itching bout and the cream was not enough, I took 100mg diphenhydramine and it was gone fairly quickly.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have diphenhydramine antihistamine tablets. These both relieve itching and make you drowsy so you go off to sleep easily.

They can be sold under many brand names, used for hayfever, or sleeping tablets. They might be wildly different prices for the same amounts.

I usually just use eurax anti itching cream which I find excellent, however a few months ago I had a very bad itching bout and the cream was not enough, I took 100mg diphenhydramine and it was gone fairly quickly.

Thanks. I am just waiting for the sun to shine out my back garden now so i can sit out and get some sun without people looking and mr spot :D

I have taken some pics but i am not sure if you are allowed to do on here. It's to give an idea the type i have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Pics are fine once no nudity or graphic content :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Phil69

Eventually got my appointment to see a dermo this week, they have suggested I go onto stelara but was wondering if it is worth it for me versus the side affects. Dermo says I would need to take flu injection each year and also take pneumonia injection which made me quite concerned that by taking it that I might be weakening my immune system so much that I am opening myself up to other things.

My P is not really that bad, lived with it for 30 years and does not really bother me. The reason I went to see dermo was because GP recommended me too because it would help with my arthritis. Anyway, when I met the dermo, he said that I should of seen the rheumo :( which is what I thought in the first place.

The doc did not or could not say if the stelara would help with arthritis until I saw the rheumo but another waiting list.

So, now I am wondering if it is worth taking the stelara? Has anyone else had any bad side affects with it? Ideally someone that has been on it a while.

Thanks

Pics are fine once no nudity or graphic content :)

I will upload them later. All good. ðŸ˜
    How long to people tend to expose their skin to sun at the first stage ?

And any recommendations on sun cream ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Phil69 wrote: »
    Eventually got my appointment to see a dermo this week, they have suggested I go onto stelara but was wondering if it is worth it for me versus the side affects. Dermo says I would need to take flu injection each year and also take pneumonia injection which made me quite concerned that by taking it that I might be weakening my immune system so much that I am opening myself up to other things.

My P is not really that bad, lived with it for 30 years and does not really bother me. The reason I went to see dermo was because GP recommended me too because it would help with my arthritis. Anyway, when I met the dermo, he said that I should of seen the rheumo :( which is what I thought in the first place.

The doc did not or could not say if the stelara would help with arthritis until I saw the rheumo but another waiting list.

So, now I am wondering if it is worth taking the stelara? Has anyone else had any bad side affects with it? Ideally someone that has been on it a while.

Thanks

The flu and pneumonia injections protect you against those illnesses because Stejara will weaken your body’s natural ability to fight them.
    Side affects are different fir every single person, you might do great and someone else could be violently ill. You really don’t know until you try but in general regular blood tests manage risks. I’m not on Stelara but another biologic abs I do get a few colds which take a little longer to get better. Can’t really answer on the arthritis but there’s a good chance it will help because the two conditions are known to be linked.

Phil69 wrote: »

Thanks
    I've been on Stelara since September last year, i'm currently 99.9% clear of psoriasis.

For the first couple of weeks i did have some side effects, like fatigue and a touch of anxiety about the whole thing(mainly because i read in to the side effects and panicked myself about getting them) but apart from that, nothing else.

Only other thing i will report is, on the days i take my shot, i do get a little tired, and could do with going to bed a little earlier that night, but nothing major.

How long to people tend to expose their skin to sun at the first stage ?

And any recommendations on sun cream ?

I had read 15mins starting out, and no suncream. Going out when the sun is at its strongest.

Some can get outside the workplace at lunch at peak sunlight hours. Just a stroll to the shop or sit outside for your lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi

I'm not sure if I can put this up but it has helped my father a lot and I thought its worth sharing.

My father has had Psoriasis for many years now and the only treatment that was successful was the UV Light treatment.

However he spoke to a friend who has Psoriasis also, he recommended the below as form of treatment and my father since following the below has no longer required any light treatment, normally the light treatment would work then he would have to go again months later as Psoriasis had returned.

Week 1
    Eat three organic apples everyday.
    Have a bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar with mother everyday.
    Treat any of the areas where Psoriasis is present with Childs Farm Baby Moisturiser

https://www.childsfarm.com/products/childs-farm-baby-moisturiser-mildly-fragranced/

Week 2
    Eat two organic apples everyday.
    Have a bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar with mother.
    Treat any of the areas where Psoriasis is present with Childs Farm Baby Moisturiser

https://www.childsfarm.com/products/childs-farm-baby-moisturiser-mildly-fragranced/

Week 3
    Eat one organic apple everyday.
    Have a bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar with mother.

From then on my father has a bath once a week using the apple cider vinegar with mother and eats one organic apple everyday.

When I heard about this I was skeptical however it does seem to have worked and when he went back to the Mater Private for a follow up consolation they told him to keep going as it seems to be work and no need for light treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Using that exact Childs Farm cream, has done nothing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Have heard good things about child’s farm stuff but never tried myself.

I’m skeptical about natural remedies because I don’t find that they work. But then nothing seems to be working at the moment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I suddenly had a psoriasis outbreak at the age of 38 after giving up smoking having never had a sniff of it before. I have it on my scalp but the last few weeks I've noticed dry skin stretching from my hairline down to my eyebrows. I'm hoping it's just dry skin but has anyone here had it on their face or is it possible to get it on your face and what can I do in case it is spreading down my face? E45 cream?

You can get it ANYWHERE on your body.

I had it quite badly on my face.

I suggest going to your GP, they’ll suggest a course of action, it may not even be psoriasis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I definately have psoriasis above the hairline. My GP diagnosed it a year ago and I've been using dovobet gel on it. I've read that certain moisturisers are better for psoriasis sufferers and was looking for recommendations of those really for use on my face bearing in mind that it may be spreading to my forehead. I suppose I didn't articulate myself very well in my last post. I will of course see my GP about the dryness on my forhead but Im not really expecting steroid creams etc to be prescribed just yet so I'm wondering what I can do in the meantime.

I definately have psoriasis above the hairline. My GP diagnosed it a year ago and I've been using dovobet gel on it. I've read that certain moisturisers are better for psoriasis sufferers and was looking for recommendations of those really for use on my face bearing in mind that it may be spreading to my forehead. I suppose I didn't articulate myself very well in my last post. I will of course see my GP about the dryness on my forhead but Im not really expecting steroid creams etc to be prescribed just yet so I'm wondering what I can do in the meantime.

Aveeno cream is good. I have it on my forehead and well basically everywhere else.
    I have dovobet too, nizarol and an anti fungal cream too, my legs are really bad. They are red raw now.

• Advertisement

Aveeno cream is good. I have it on my forehead and well basically everywhere else.
    I have dovobet too, nizarol and an anti fungal cream too, my legs are really bad. They are red raw now.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm really sorry you have it so bad, it's a horrible disease.

Aveeno Dermexa is great for keeping the flakes away, does nothing for the redness i'm afraid tho, all that will get rid of that is a steroid cream.

What I was doing last year, and i found it great, before i went on Stelara, was to have a bath, but use 2 cups of epsoms salts and 7-8 capfuls of oilatum. Soak in that for 20 minutes, and then moisturize after it.

In your case cherry blossom, i'd wash your hair with the solution also.

I think its just a case of trial and error. I might try some other cream for the redness. At least the flakes are gone.

eeloe wrote: »

In your case cherry blossom, i'd wash your hair with the solution also.

When I'm washing my hair I currently alternate between nizoral and t-gel shampoo, I might give that a try though.

I got the Aveeno dermexa cream today by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

How's everyone doing? Just bought Aveeno daily moisturising lotion and e45 wash cream in sale in boots. Skin broke out badly last week, the week before it was smooth after a weekend away in the sun and swim in the sea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

rizzee wrote: »
    Using that exact Childs Farm cream, has done nothing unfortunately.

I had several people recommend it to me as well (at this point having had it for so long getting recommendations from well meaning people makes me grit my teeth.)

I decided to try it anyway since my perioral dermatitis came back (which i got from a steroid cream perscribed for my psoriasis, and which at this point annoys me more as its on my face)

I was very close to not buying it though, when I saw that the two options were a 'baby' one that said lightly fragranced and the ordinary moisturizer that had tea tree oil and grapefruit.

I had tried tea tree oil on the PD before and it did nothing, possibly made it more irritated and citrus can also be a trigger for psoriasis. Tbh I was suprised that this cream gets so recommended when truly angry skin generally does NOT agree with fragrance. I got the baby one as I figured it would be less likely to irritate.
    I normally use either Aveeno or E45.

I used the CF on my face and my body. It is easily absorbed and non greasy and didnt irritate. I did not like the fragrance and I can't see from the ingredients anything that would make it anything special compared to other basic white moisturizers. But at least it isn't more expensive, was 5.50 for the pump bottle.

The first night I actually woke up with drier skin on my face than the day before. My plaques on my legs and back were a bit softer, but around about the same affect as any other cream.

On my face I reapplied in the morning and then put a very small amount of Vaseline over it to lock the moisture in, which seemed to work well, I didnt need to reapply late afternoon early evening. This time I noticed that it has a little bit of a sticky or tightening feeling as it dries on the face. I wasnt using a large amount but I used even less on the next application. Since then I've found that applying 2 thin coats about a half hour apart or a thin coat topped up with a small amount of vaseline (or you could use baby oil) works well tobkeep the dryness and flakiness at on my face at bay and the redness has improved.

However, I have found in the past that improvements can be short lived and I will be shocked if that isn't the case with this cream, I think it's good at moisturizing and non-irritating but I don't suspect it's any miracle cure whatsoever.

rizzee wrote: »
    How's everyone doing? Just bought Aveeno daily moisturising lotion and e45 wash cream in sale in boots. Skin broke out badly last week, the week before it was smooth after a weekend away in the sun and swim in the sea!

Doing great here, i genuinely hate coming here and saying that, feels like i'm kinda boasting, while everyone else is either suffering, or waiting for appointments! :(

Hope anyone that is having a flare up, gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Has anyone got experience of using a therapeutic shampoo for psoriasis on the scalp? I've picked up one with salicylic acid, coconut oil and coal tar so will see how it goes.

Any tips? Should I try and keep it on the patches, or use all over my scalp?

Good sun out there today people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Has anyone got experience of using a therapeutic shampoo for psoriasis on the scalp? I've picked up one with salicylic acid, coconut oil and coal tar so will see how it goes.

Any tips? Should I try and keep it on the patches, or use all over my scalp?

Therapeutic shampoos all just made my scalp much worse. I started using Dr Organics range from Holland & Barrett and they're so much better.

Advertisement