Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    No, I have Dovobet cream too which was prescribed by my GP.
    I also use small amounts of hydrocortisone for seborrheic dermatitis.

I'd highly suggest getting to a dermatologist.

The nightly routine of applying steroids is no fun, and you won't know yourself once you don't have to do it!

It's pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

eeloe wrote: »
    I'd highly suggest getting to a dermatologist.

The nightly routine of applying steroids is no fun, and you won't know yourself once you don't have to do it!

It's pretty amazing.

Oh it's such a pain. I need a sun holiday but then lies the other issue, people seeing the red patches on your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Oh it's such a pain. I need a sun holiday but then lies the other issue, people seeing the red patches on your body.

My attitude is fuck them, no one is perfect :) I can't wait to get out in the sun.

rizzee wrote: »
    My attitude is fuck them, no one is perfect :) I can't wait to get out in the sun.

That's a good positive attitude. I am hoping to be in the sun soon as i know that really helps.
    Have an appointment with my Doctor tomorrow so will see if i can get referred to a Dermatologist.

I suffered from cystic acne for years(luckily no scars) and my dermatitis is under control.
    Just seems to be one problem after the other.

That's a good positive attitude. I am hoping to be in the sun soon as i know that really helps.
    Have an appointment with my Doctor tomorrow so will see if i can get referred to a Dermatologist.

I suffered from cystic acne for years(luckily no scars) and my dermatitis is under control.
    Just seems to be one problem after the other.

Yeah it's generally one thing after another, no rest for the wicked.

Where abouts in the country are you based? If you can at all afford it, go privately to the dermatologist, you'll be seen in a matter of weeks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

sun holiday booked here, counting down the days :D

Yeah it's generally one thing after another, no rest for the wicked.

Where abouts in the country are you based? If you can at all afford it, go privately to the dermatologist, you'll be seen in a matter of weeks..

Dublin, can't afford to go private yet as i am on illness benefit for anxiety and depression, that's obviously not helping the problem either.
    sun holiday booked here, counting down the days :D

Good stuff, i'm waiting for money to be paid from my insurance so will be booking as soon as i get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You’ll be waiting a year to see a dermatologist going public.
    Sunshine helps like nothing else I have ever tried.

Dublin, can't afford to go private yet as i am on illness benefit for anxiety and depression, that's obviously not helping the problem either.

Sorry to hear that. Probably best to make sure they refer you ASAP, public waiting lists are no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Littleone2

I recently jad a baby and my psoriasis has flared up to the worst it has ever been. Due to feeding I am extremly limited in treatments. I have been given Dovobet but it hasn't made a dent. I moisturize about 15 times a day but there is no controlling it amd seems to be geyting more inflaned and more lesions daily. I have an extrenly healthy vegetarian diet and jave tried everything from anti inflammatory foods to probiotic foods and still no improvement. I also exercise regularly. My GP asked me to find a dermatologist in one of the hospitals and she would refer me but I don't know where to start. How much is it to see dermatologist privatley and also for light therapy such as UVB or PUVA as this is what my GP hopes will be given to me? Also has anyone ever tried an at home lightbox?
    I have a holiday booked and hope this will jelp somewhat as it normally does but it os so extensive i can't see it completely clearing with holiday.

• Advertisement

Littleone2 wrote: »
    I recently jad a baby and my psoriasis has flared up to the worst it has ever been. Due to feeding I am extremly limited in treatments. I have been given Dovobet but it hasn't made a dent. I moisturize about 15 times a day but there is no controlling it amd seems to be geyting more inflaned and more lesions daily. I have an extrenly healthy vegetarian diet and jave tried everything from anti inflammatory foods to probiotic foods and still no improvement. I also exercise regularly. My GP asked me to find a dermatologist in one of the hospitals and she would refer me but I don't know where to start. How much is it to see dermatologist privatley and also for light therapy such as UVB or PUVA as this is what my GP hopes will be given to me? Also has anyone ever tried an at home lightbox?
    I have a holiday booked and hope this will jelp somewhat as it normally does but it os so extensive i can't see it completely clearing with holiday.
    Where are you living? That would help narrow it down. As a guide you are looking at €200 for the first visit and half that for a follow up. Some more some less. Light therapy is free, it didn’t work for me but everyone takes it differently.

As Gael said, some information about your location would help a lot and we would be able to suggest someone for you.

4 hour tattoo session on Tuesday, he had to stop, Psoriasis in some areas on arm was bleeding out... Have to let it heal and come back to get less than an hour work done :( effort! Using an all natural balm and pure coconut oil in the healing process

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Littleone2

Gael23 wrote: »
    Where are you living? That would help narrow it down. As a guide you are looking at €200 for the first visit and half that for a follow up. Some more some less. Light therapy is free, it didn’t work for me but everyone takes it differently.
    Sorry I am based in North Co. Dublin so cpuld travel Dublin, meath areas

Sorry I am based in North Co. Dublin so cpuld travel Dublin, meath areas
    I go to Brian Kirby in Vincent’s. He’s €250 for the first appointment then €100 after but you get transferred to the public system for Uv treatment even though it takes a few weeks. There’s also someone in Tallaght that’s supposed to be good. I think it’s Ann Marie Tobin but I’m not sure, I’ll fins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

About 200 for the consult. if you have VHI you will get some of that back.
    UVB worked for me. had clearance for about a year, and improvement after that for another 2 years. I was with Dr Rupert Barry in James's,. it only takes a few minutes per time in the hospital.. and its 3 days a week for 6-7 weeks (usually)

rizzee wrote: »
    4 hour tattoo session on Tuesday, he had to stop, Psoriasis in some areas on arm was bleeding out... Have to let it heal and come back to get less than an hour work done :( effort! Using an all natural balm and pure coconut oil in the healing process

Hope it goes well healing!

I have a tattoo voucher to use up, but petrified!

Hope it goes well healing!

I have a tattoo voucher to use up, but petrified!

Thanks, fingers crossed!!

I can understand the worry. I couldn't go around with half a sleeve so don't really have a choice but to finish :D Always good to talk to artists about Psoriasis too, there are a lot more healing creams available in e last few years,also I've heard from 2 artists to not to use Bepanthan anymore because of new ingredients

Yeah bepanthen and bepanthaseptic are supposed to be completely changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Maybe it's been mentioned here before, has anyone tried an ultra violet light for home treatment, any good results, and if so how much and where did you buy, many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe it's been mentioned here before, has anyone tried an ultra violet light for home treatment, any good results, and if so how much and where did you buy, many thanks
    yes, I had a light fitting and ballast and made my own, buying the philips bulb from the UK for about €50.

There are places selling the philips bulb in an office lamp fixture.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Derma-UVB-V2-Narrowband-311nm/dp/B07MHWSWGX/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=uvb&qid=1553692593&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The ones made by medical companies use the same bulb but are usually handheld and can have transparent combs so the light can travel down then into long hair and to the scalp. I have short hair so did not need this. It worked really well for me on my scalp.

I am surprised I do not hear of doctors loaning/renting people the lights to do a trial on a spot to see if they will respond well to it. Rather than sending them to hospital for treatments only to find it does not work.

If you use the "search this thread" feature do a search for dermalight and you will find several posts. That is the brand name of a popular one.

Been struck down with a bit of a sinus/ear infection, on antibiotics for a few days, due to take me Stelara on Thursday, but looks like i'm gonna have to give it a skip for a week.

Hopefully i don't have any issue and the psoriasis makes a return after giving it a skip.....damn it!

Yesterday was really bad for me. Itchy all over . It's just seems to be getting worse. Mostly my legs. I experimented using nizarol when washing. That might not have helped but I think it was due to me scratching so much that made it so red.
    Put dovobet on to but that doesn't seem to help much. I tried 2 other creams that were prescribed before but I had to use them simultaneously which was a pain and much effort.

Some places like elbows are healing great but then it just appears in new places. My hands have it now too and are very red.

I just don't understand how one small little patch last year has been taking over my whole body.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Need to be careful how much it is used and what sort of UV it is.
    UVA on its own doesn't work for psoriasis very well. it needs to be taken with a drug called psoralen to make it work.
    UVB works on its own. and works well for a lot of people , me included. However
    if you burn yourself, it reduces the efficacy of the treatment. this is why treatment time starts low and increases. and is monitored by the derm and nurses.

Its very safe if taken properly and in a controlled fashion, however If you use more than 250 exposures in your life you are seriously increasing your risk of skin cancer, particularly melanoma which is incredibly deadly.
    Ive suffered badly both psychologically and physically with Psoriasis since I got it first as a child. but after seeing a friend dying of Melanoma , I would rather have the Psoriasis than the melanoma

Yesterday was really bad for me. Itchy all over . It's just seems to be getting worse. Mostly my legs. I experimented using nizarol when washing. That might not have helped but I think it was due to me scratching so much that made it so red.
    Put dovobet on to but that doesn't seem to help much. I tried 2 other creams that were prescribed before but I had to use them simultaneously which was a pain and much effort.

Some places like elbows are healing great but then it just appears in new places. My hands have it now too and are very red.

I just don't understand how one small little patch last year has been taking over my whole body.
    Yep, it can spread quite quickly, as a few of us learned the hard way!

have you been referred to a dermatologist yet?

Yep, it can spread quite quickly, as a few of us learned the hard way!

have you been referred to a dermatologist yet?

No not yet, When my Doc opens after lunch i am going to make an appointment. Can't afford to go private at the moment and i know the waiting lists are huge. I've battled acne and dermatitis in the past and my skin was looking good, now this springs up.

I am due some money soon (small amount) but enough to cover going private and going on a sun holiday.

No not yet, When my Doc opens after lunch i am going to make an appointment. Can't afford to go private at the moment and i know the waiting lists are huge. I've battled acne and dermatitis in the past and my skin was looking good, now this springs up.

I am due some money soon (small amount) but enough to cover going private and going on a sun holiday.

The public lists are insane, I'm still on the public waiting list since 2014....

If you can borrow the money from someone to go private, do, you'll be waiting a few weeks, maybe a month at most to be seen and you'll be on the route to getting sorted.

I was waiting 4 months to be seen private back in 2014 but I know there are new dermatologists on the scene since so that time might be reduced.

On the antibiotics you can take your injection 25 hours after the antibiotic ends so it’s not too long of a delay. And Stelara is every 12 weeks so a few days late shouldn’t make a huge difference

Gael23 wrote: »
    On the antibiotics you can take your injection 25 hours after the antibiotic ends so it’s not too long of a delay. And Stelara is every 12 weeks so a few days late shouldn’t make a huge difference

25 hours? wow...i might just inject myself on Sunday at home.

who am i kidding, i'll shake like a leaf! haha

• Advertisement

The public lists are insane, I'm still on the public waiting list since 2014....

If you can borrow the money from someone to go private, do, you'll be waiting a few weeks, maybe a month at most to be seen and you'll be on the route to getting sorted.

That is insane. I can't borrow anymore money, tired of doing that after the whole illness benefit fiasco. When i get my money i am going to go to Thailand. Maybe get looked at over there. Their healthcare system is a million times better than here. You wouldn't think but it really is.

Advertisement