Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    It's red but that's normal due to skin healing from previous bouts. It wasn't hot. Anyway i am already home after seeing Doc which i was surprised how quick i got an appointment.

It only really happened after my shower but it has reduced a lot after i kept my leg elevated. I was given a script for antibiotics if it is still the same tomorrow i have to take them.

See if you can get some strong antihistamines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

brevity wrote: »
    I got a call from my dermatologist’s office for me to not take anymore biologics..My appointment for Friday was cancelled too.

Not sure if others got the same advice.

Did they explicitly state this is due to the Corona Virus?

Did they explicitly state this is due to the Corona Virus?

Yup

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I haven't gotten a call from my dermatologist about anything yet.

I took my shot two weeks ago tho, so not due another one for 10 weeks.

I'm still at work, and dealing with the public, i'm genuinely ****ting myself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭wonga77

Stressing yourself about the unknown wont help. Im also working with the public, just gotta take it easy and take each day as it comes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I was worried I would be wearing a mask -using it properly. There is talk of masks being useless or actually worse than useless but you have to look up why that is -they presume the majority do not know how to use them correctly and so will be a danger to themselves. Its like generic advice like "don't run with scissors".

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

if it was really true that they were useless or worse than useless then why the hell do I see all medical staff invariably using them in any media videos. I was at the doctors recently and surprised to see none wearing and little protection going on, the surgery is since closed and 2 doctors were infected and one of their wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

From my head to shins is basically clear now. Red marks nearly gone too. My hands which were so bad have cleared to 'normal' skin colour apart from a few little cracks between thumb and index fnger which causes much pain when applying hand gel lol.

My feet are still bad. It's like a feeling of walking on broken glass if that makes sense, all the pressure points and out side and insole hurting. And still some swelling on my left foot and ankle but not as bad as a few day's ago.

Just have to keep trying different methods for my feet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Meant to go to the hospital Tuesday to start light treatment, not sure if it's wise for me to be going to a hospital three times a week for the foreseeable future

I'm wondering if I'd be better getting a home kit instead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

siblers wrote: »
    Meant to go to the hospital Tuesday to start light treatment, not sure if it's wise for me to be going to a hospital three times a week for the foreseeable future

I strongly advise against that. UV treatment in hospital is prescribed specifically for you whereas if you do it yourself you run the risk of deadly skin cancer

siblers wrote: »
    I have been using mine more now that I am stuck inside. Also cut hair closer so I can apply creams better. I am thinking of getting a bigger light, the bulbs can be bought separately and put into light fittings that use the same style of bulb.

I was at a GP over a different matter and he was asking if I had gotten light therapy, I said I have my own light and it worked well and he didn't bat an eyelid, I was sure he was going to rattle off at least some warnings about being burnt badly.

As people are not always responsive I still wonder why you do not see them giving lights to try out yourself before organising a hospital treatment. Or GPs could have a light and apply it to you in their office in just 1 spot if they were worried.

There were LED units on the market recently enough, I wonder if there is any advance on them, they were expensive and needed a longer dose time.
    Gael23 wrote: »
    run the risk of deadly skin cancer
    Nothing I have read has me worried about this at all. All the home units are narrowband UVB.

If anybody has any article on the dangers cancer for home narrowband UVB treatment I would like to see them. Pretty sure I asked before and got none, possibly just links to PUVA or broadband UVB.

Obviously there is a risk of sunburn, people here got badly burnt in hospital too, and a risk to the eyes, but I know that and am asking about cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My biggest problem is that I work office hours and treatment is during office hours. I know each treatment is only a few minutes but still adds up getting there, parking, waiting etc. I'll go Tuesday anyway and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Was at my GP last week for an unrelated matter & also to get my dovobet prescription (1 small tube does me over a year) and he actually recommended going to sunbeds once a week on low setting when it's not sunny out!

Does anyone’s skin sting rather than itch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Gael23 wrote: »
    Does anyone’s skin sting rather than itch?

During/after a shower, yes....but that's in tandem with the itching.

Important read

British Association of Dermatology response about self-isolating for Britain

http://www.bad.org.uk/shared/get-file.ashx?itemtype=document&id=6644

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I go out once a day. Just for fresh air walking my dogs as my feet have less pain now. Less than 15 minutes. I am only on topical creams. But it did make me think because of the immune system.

rizzee wrote: »
    he actually recommended going to sunbeds once a week on low setting when it's not sunny out!

some sunbeds are using lights to give more vitamin D, I have read these can help more.

Anyone cocooning?

New legislation today says anyone on immunosuppressant drugs should cocoon for 2 weeks! 🀦ðŸ¼*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone cocooning?

New legislation today says anyone on immunosuppressant drugs should cocoon for 2 weeks! ��ðŸ¼*♂️

Would be very grateful if you could point me to where that is stated.

All I have found so far is https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112981074&postcount=6

Thanks

Anyone cocooning?

New legislation today says anyone on immunosuppressant drugs should cocoon for 2 weeks! ��ðŸ¼*♂️

No I’m not. Seems a bit OTT

• Advertisement

It does strictly say for the over 70’s on the booklet.

But I know a few people who have COPD and things like that and they are cocooning.

It does strictly say for the over 70’s on the booklet.

But I know a few people who have COPD and things like that and they are cocooning.

If I had a respiratory condition like COPD or Asthma I would be locking myself into a room. Someone with COPD would die from Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Anyone cocooning?

New legislation today says anyone on immunosuppressant drugs should cocoon for 2 weeks! 🀦ðŸ¼*♂️

No . I am taking the rules very seriously but don’t feel a need to do more. I’ve been on methotrexate for over 10 years and thankfully have had minimal side effects and rarely get colds etc .

In my case, I don’t consider I am any more at risk than the average person . I think walking the dog everyday is doing me more good than harm. .

I’ve been the same since I started stelara, I try to continue as if I’m not taking it and it has been going great since the initial side effects wore off, but ever since I’ve been seeing all the associated risk of being immunosuppressed with the corona it has me really worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Not trying to scare ye but take care

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164787/14-year-old-boy-Portugals-youngest-coronavirus-victim-Ovar-near-Porto.html

youngest death in Europe 14 year old with Psoriasis so cocoon as best you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I’m very confused. Before starting cimzia I had to get pneumonia jab. I would presume this would prevent you from getting pneumonia no matter what the cause. Nope. Neither consultant or pharmacist will tell me I am protected against the pneumonia side of the virus given the medication I am in on and have been advised on cocooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I’m very confused. Before starting cimzia I had to get pneumonia jab. I would presume this would prevent you from getting pneumonia no matter what the cause. Nope. Neither consultant or pharmacist will tell me I am protected against the pneumonia side of the virus given the medication I am in on and have been advised on cocooning.

Hi I'm a pharmacist and can help she's some light on this.

A pneumonia is inflammation of the small sacs in your lungs. It can be caused by bacterial infections, viral infections and sometimes both together. The vaccine you got will help you avoid pneumonia caused by the most common cause of pneumonia in the community the bacteria S. pneumoniae. The current virus also causes a pneumonia, a particularly nasty one at that. So you are not protected against this and should follow advice given by your Doctor, pharmacist or the HSE in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Thank you so much for that help

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Not trying to scare ye but take care

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164787/14-year-old-boy-Portugals-youngest-coronavirus-victim-Ovar-near-Porto.html

youngest death in Europe 14 year old with Psoriasis so cocoon as best you can

He died as a result of immune suppressant drugs. There are a lot of gaps in the reporting of the story

Advertisement