Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Dairy makes mine worse and so does alcohol so I don’t know if diet is completely irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

rizzee wrote: »
    Long time no posting. Hope all is well.

My psoriasis is 90% gone, I eliminated all meat from my diet approx 6 weeks ago, start taking 2-4 high strength omega 3 tablets with a berocca every morning with food and I noticed a change immediately. I have also been doing a good bit of exercise, I find after a sweaty high intensity work out the redness disappears?! Couldn't be happier. Check out the game changers on Netflix, it's biased but it's science and opened my eyes!

Anyway, super happy with progress. Hope everyone has a great Christmas.

Following on from this, 8 weeks off meat and it's getting better and better to the point where the psoriasis is almost nil. Can actually wear dark tops, without shaking it out every few minutes from the flakes in my scalp.

To answer about milk - I take a splash of full fat or low fat (whatever is there) in work with my coffee (about 3-4 cups a day). The only other dairy I eat is feta cheese... Love the stuff :-) As for alcohol I mostly only drink Guinness. Not a big fan of lager/beers but if there was nothing else there I would have them. I also drink lots of water (minimum 3l per day)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Are you off all meats or still eat fish etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

wonga77 wrote: »
    Are you off all meats or still eat fish etc?

At the start of doing it I had prawns once during a meal out but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I had an appointment with the psoriasis nurse for the first time last week, she said my poor high sugar diet and 100lbs weight gain wouldn't be linked to it which I refuse to believe, she said that if diet was linked then they would be handing out information leaflets about diet.
    She said that the reason it gets worse after weight gain is because of higher anxiety levels because you are uncomfortable being fat and the reason it can decrease after weight loss is because you feel better about yourself afterwards.

I refuse to believe that my binge eating disorder and sugar addiction isn't linked, pouring 2 litres of coke down my throat and eating large bags of Doritos has to have an impact somehow.

Many traditional western docs will deny the diet link. But to me, unless they know the cure they can't know the cause. And some people will tell you that changing their diet didnt help. Maybe it's true, but I tend to be sceptical that they changed their diet for long enough consistently enough. I think often people fib about their diet habits, because they don't want to be faced with the choice of choosing their skin over beer or pizza or whatever. Or, they may have changed their diet but are still in the stressful job or toxic relationship so the inflammation is still there and so then they say, oh, diet change did nothing

Anything that causes inflammation will flare up my psoriasis. Stress, alcohol, and fatty junk foods cause inflammation. Im guessing you have read about the Pagano diet. For me, I definitely have improved skin when I eat healthy and exercise and dont stress. But once I go off track it will come back eventually, especially if I drink alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Hey all, I believe i have this on one of my palms now for a few months and it just wont go away. Seemed to come out of nowhere. It never gets too itchy and i tried so many hand creams and nothing seems to work. Is there any cream that you found to be the absolute best to reduce redness? Flexitol hand balm is the only thing that has some healing effect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Hey all, I believe i have this on one of my palms now for a few months and it just wont go away. Seemed to come out of nowhere. It never gets too itchy and i tried so many hand creams and nothing seems to work. Is there any cream that you found to be the absolute best to reduce redness? Flexitol hand balm is the only thing that has some healing effect for me.

Aveeno baby cream is good. Mine started on my palms at first but it was just like dry skin, then a patch appeared on my leg and now i am in agony. My legs are ok, but my hands and feet are so painfull. It's hard to even get out bed, all joints affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

jaffa20 wrote: »

It would be strange to just have one patch on your palms, it might not be psoriasis. It's not a typical place to get it, and usually you would have more than one patch, and not on just one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Peppsi

Cerave in the large tub seems to work well, can be used on both the face and body, also recommended by dermatologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I had an appointment with the psoriasis nurse for the first time last week, she said my poor high sugar diet and 100lbs weight gain wouldn't be linked to it which I refuse to believe, she said that if diet was linked then they would be handing out information leaflets about diet.
    She said that the reason it gets worse after weight gain is because of higher anxiety levels because you are uncomfortable being fat and the reason it can decrease after weight loss is because you feel better about yourself afterwards.

I refuse to believe that my binge eating disorder and sugar addiction isn't linked, pouring 2 litres of coke down my throat and eating large bags of Doritos has to have an impact somehow.
    She is a complete moron and should find another job. Diet is huge when it comes to psoriasis.

I had tremendous results when I cut out gluten (lots of people with psoriasis are coeliac or intolerant) I also stopped biting my nails spontaneously.

I also cut sugar alcohol and refined carbs which feed bad bacteria and can trigger other skin conditions like fungal infections.

I introduced kefir which I make myself using grains bought online and started eating unpasteurised sauerkraut.

Psoriasis all but went away.

Oh and being overweight alone is a risk factor for psoriasis.

https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/diet-psoriasis-research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

She is a complete moron and should find another job. Diet is huge when it comes to psoriasis.

I had tremendous results when I cut out gluten (lots of people with psoriasis are coeliac or intolerant) I also stopped biting my nails spontaneously.

I also cut sugar alcohol and refined carbs which feed bad bacteria and can trigger other skin conditions like fungal infections.

I introduced kefir which I make myself using grains bought online and started eating unpasteurised sauerkraut.

Psoriasis all but went away.

Oh and being overweight alone is a risk factor for psoriasis.

https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/diet-psoriasis-research

I'm always amazed that people won't at least try and cut out gluten and dairy to see does it help. My father suffered into his mid 60s. He was a terrible case, his hands throbbing so much he had to hold them up when walking around to get relief. He went gluten and dairy free initially and also cut down on sugar. He now takes small quantities of dairy but is 100% gluten free. From the day he started he never had another flare up and his psoriasis is now so good that the family haven't mentioned it in about 3 years whereas it was a constant source of conversation. As I said whenever I tell a sufferer this they always say theyll try anything but most don't actually put in the effort preferring drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm always amazed that people won't at least try and cut out gluten and dairy to see does it help. My father suffered into his mid 60s. He was a terrible case, his hands throbbing so much he had to hold them up when walking around to get relief. He went gluten and dairy free initially and also cut down on sugar. He now takes small quantities of dairy but is 100% gluten free. From the day he started he never had another flare up and his psoriasis is now so good that the family haven't mentioned it in about 3 years whereas it was a constant source of conversation. As I said whenever I tell a sufferer this they always say theyll try anything but most don't actually put in the effort preferring drugs

I don't eat dairy. Not a big bread or cereal eater either. So unless you include a bit of occasional spice I eat clean. I only eat a single meal a day. It makes no difference to me, I still get attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I don't eat dairy. Not a big bread or cereal eater either. So unless you include a bit of occasional spice I eat clean. I only eat a single meal a day. It makes no difference to me, I still get attacks.

Sorry.Wasnt lecturing you. Was talking in general. I would certainly try go gluten free for a month or two as if you are intolerant to it a small bit can be too much. Best of luck to you. I really do feel for anyone who suffers with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

It shows you how hard it is to give up sugar though, I would rather have my scalp covered in psoriasis and for it to move down to my face than to set down the can of coke. It is basically an anti depressant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I firmly believe some of it is down to diet but not everyone will be triggered by the same thing, it might be milk and bread for some or alcohol for others, to say to someone with psoriasis to give up bread and dairy is nonsense, everyone has to find their own trigger, for some diet might not even be the main cause

Also @loughneagh, your main problem isn't psoriasis, you need to get help for your eating disorder first, everything else can wait, if you don't stop your massive weight gain psoriasis will be the least of your worries

Agony again. Usually i open my door at midnight to say happy new year to my neighbours and shake there hands but won't do this year as my hands are really bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Agony again. Usually i open my door at midnight to say happy new year to my neighbours and shake there hands but won't do this year as my hands are really bad again.

Have you got an appointment date for a dermatologist yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Have any of ye used double emollient gel. In using it at the moment and find it good

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have you got an appointment date for a dermatologist yet?

Not yet :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Not yet :(

are you going private or public? this sounds like a really long time to be waiting

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    are you going private or public? this sounds like a really long time to be waiting

Public as i am still out sick from work.

That's insane.

I got a letter from my local hospital in 2013 telling me that my apporintment was doing to be september 2020.

You can't wait anywhere near that long, you're going to need to go private!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It would be strange to just have one patch on your palms, it might not be psoriasis. It's not a typical place to get it, and usually you would have more than one patch, and not on just one side.

I think you could be correct. From my research it could be Exfoliative keratolysis which also seems to be a pain. The peeling has sort of stopped for me now if i keep it moisturised but i'm still left with embarrassing redness.

I guess i could go to dermatologist but there dones't seem to be much trreatment for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What are peoples experiences with dead sea salt baths? Did it just help to reducing patches or did it help only really help with reducing itching?

I've been using 1% dithro cream and coal tar shampoo which is working reasonably well on my scalp. Pity that neither can be got in Ireland. Cocois ointment is pretty good but it's quite expensive and do t find it as good

I use capasal shampoo which has salicylic acid 0.5% w/w, coconut oil 1% w/w and distilled coal tar 1% w/w in it. I find it very good and get it in local pharmacy along with cocois. It really helped clear my scalp and keep skin in order.

I also use double emoillient gel which is great at the moment.

I use dead sea salt occasionally as it eases itch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

khalessi wrote: »
    I use capasal shampoo which has salicylic acid 0.5% w/w, coconut oil 1% w/w and distilled coal tar 1% w/w in it. I find it very good and get it in local pharmacy along with cocois. It really helped clear my scalp and keep skin in order.

I also use double emoillient gel which is great at the moment.

I use dead sea salt occasionally as it eases itch

What brand of emollient gel do you use? Do you use cocois and Capasal on the body? Or just scalp?

https://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/doublebase-emollient-gel-250g/doublebase250

Am just finishing up light treatment and nurses recommended this week one and I have found it great.

Use cocois and capasal just on hair/scalp

I use emulsifying ointment (99% of time) in shower though sometimes in hurry have used capasal oops

This has been quiet.
    My body is clear apart from red marks. But now the under soles of my feet and also my palms are so dry and cracking really bad. It's like it just finds somewhere else to have a bit of craic with but also maybe the weather too, i don't know.
    Painfull too.
    I've been using many creams on my hands and feet but nothing is working, it's getting worse. Will try in the morning to get an appointment with my GP because i can't go on like this.

Anyone else have similar issues ? Never had it so bad on my hands before. They were so clear only a couple of weeks ago too. :(

This has been quiet.
    My body is clear apart from red marks. But now the under soles of my feet and also my palms are so dry and cracking really bad. It's like it just finds somewhere else to have a bit of craic with but also maybe the weather too, i don't know.
    Painfull too.
    I've been using many creams on my hands and feet but nothing is working, it's getting worse. Will try in the morning to get an appointment with my GP because i can't go on like this.

Anyone else have similar issues ? Never had it so bad on my hands before. They were so clear only a couple of weeks ago too. :(

You’re going to need to see a dermatologist, not a GP buddy.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    You’re going to need to see a dermatologist, not a GP buddy.

Yes i know and i am still waiting :(

Advertisement