Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

I’m gonna call my dermatologist. I’m due a new biologic but I’m not sure if it’s the best time. It annoying too as my psoriasis is really acting up, as is my psoriatic arthritis...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

After 10 years I've finally put my name down with a private clinic for an appointment with a dermatologist. Got a call today saying there has been a cancellation and by some freak of timing I've managed to get my consultation tomorrow.

I'm curious as to what to expect? A 15 min chat similar to a GP and maybe a form of treatment plan? How much can I expect to be paying for these treatments on top of the 250 consultation fee?

From a quick Google a lot of the treatments have an affect on the immune system so I'm also wary it may be poor time to start a programme with the ol Corona on the horizon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m on pretty string antibiotics and my Psoriasis is really flared up. Is that common?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

brevity wrote: »
    I’m gonna call my dermatologist. I’m due a new biologic but I’m not sure if it’s the best time. It annoying too as my psoriasis is really acting up, as is my psoriatic arthritis...

Let us know what they say to you.

I’m not even gonna try and call mine, I won’t hear back from him for a week at least and I’m due to take it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

eeloe wrote: »
    Let us know what they say to you.

I’m not even gonna try and call mine, I won’t hear back from him for a week at least and I’m due to take it tomorrow!

Took mine Monday. Interested to know the dermatologists view on it and the virus also. I can only assume it wouldn't be ideal for us to get the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Any links between high cholesterol and psoriasis? Or anyone with first hand experience?

I’ve had a reaction to an antibiotic and my psoriasis is gone absolutely crazy to the point I had to go to an emergency GP last night. Has anyone had this happen?

Mines gone erythrodermic on 2 occasions & I spent weeks in hospital each time. 2nd time I actually couldn't walk. I was moved around the hospital in a wheelchair.

Biologics since early 2014 has me 100% clear though & has opened up a completely different life to me having has psoriasis from a very early age.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’ve had a reaction to an antibiotic and my psoriasis is gone absolutely crazy to the point I had to go to an emergency GP last night. Has anyone had this happen?

Never had this happen to me, or even heard of it happening!

Hope the effects don't last too long for you buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Took mine Monday. Interested to know the dermatologists view on it and the virus also. I can only assume it wouldn't be ideal for us to get the virus.

Being switched to yet another new drug and as part of that, I'm having to get a yellow fever (I live overseas) and flu shot. These drugs lower your immune system...I can't imagine that it's ideal where Corona is concerned.

• Advertisement

I didn't get the flu shot for the last two winters.

Saying that, december just gone i did end up with a touch of the flu for almost a week, and it wasn't nice, but i must say it wasn't any worse than i remember it being, before i was immunosupressed.

Never had this happen to me, or even heard of it happening!

Hope the effects don't last too long for you buddy.

I’m not sure what to do really

Did the GP give any advice last night? other than let the antibiotics run it's course?

Did the GP give any advice last night? other than let the antibiotics run it's course?

She just said stop taking the antibiotic and gave me an antihistamine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

So after trying methotrexate and acitretin, I'm about to start Guselkumab. Does anyone have any experience of this drug?

(I just looked it up and it comes at a price of $11,200/100mg :eek: ...who could pay for this stuff outside of insurance? ).

So after trying methotrexate and acitretin, I'm about to start Guselkumab. Does anyone have any experience of this drug?

(I just looked it up and it comes at a price of $11,200/100mg :eek: ...who could pay for this stuff outside of insurance? ).

That’s the newer version of stelara, made by Jensen. Gets great results.

Best of luck with it

Tremfya is the name of the stuff. I’m supposed to be going on it next as my stelara has stopped working.

The drug payment scheme helps pay for it. Thank god!

Really struggling today. Can’t get on top of this breakout. Have heard of tonsillitis causing Psoriasis but I don’t know what to do. Going to see my own a GP on Monday and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Really struggling today. Can’t get on top of this breakout. Have heard of tonsillitis causing Psoriasis but I don’t know what to do.
    I have read the antibiotics can kill off your gut bacteria and bad ones can take over. So people were advising to take probiotics after and antibiotics -of course discuss this with your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was prescribed enstilar which is quite expensive.

Does this fall under any sort of scheme to get money off/back?

I remember getting antibiotics years ago and prescribed 2 courses which meant the price was above some limit and you could use a card which was readily available (not a medical card)

I think it was this card
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/drugs_and_medicines/drugs_payment_scheme.html

I don't think I can as I do not see it on this list (I know it would not be listed as enstilar)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/hl/generics/ref/

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I was prescribed enstilar which is quite expensive.

Does this fall under any sort of scheme to get money off/back?

I remember getting antibiotics years ago and prescribed 2 courses which meant the price was above some limit and you could use a card which was readily available (not a medical card)

I think it was this card
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/drugs_and_medicines/drugs_payment_scheme.html

I don't think I can as I do not see it on this list (I know it would not be listed as enstilar)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/hl/generics/ref/

The maximum you should have to pay is €124 per month. You then get 20% back of that at the end of the year assuming you are working and paying tax

rubadub wrote: »
    I have read the antibiotics can kill off your gut bacteria and bad ones can take over. So people were advising to take probiotics after and antibiotics -of course discuss this with your doctor.

I've also read that this can be a trigger for people who develop it out of nowhere. Friend of mine is adamant from his research that it was an antibiotic that triggered his.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Any word from a medical practioner re taking stelara and the impact of the ol Corona bug?

I got a phone call from the nurse at the dermatology department in one of the hospitals in Cork. They said that they wanted to show me how to inject the Tremfya, I thought I might get away with it considering I’ve been on Humira and Stelara but no... I have to head in.

No mention of the corona virus...I need to ring them again to arrange an appointment, I will bring it up them then.

Very disappointed with the handling of this by my dermatologist. A text or phone call advising what to do wouldn’t go astray. I’m seeing her next week anyways - 120€ - I suppose that’s why I’m not getting the text.

Any word from a medical practioner re taking stelara and the impact of the ol Corona bug?

I’m nervous about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Has anyone experienced swelling of a foot and part of their leg before ? My feet get really bad with psoriasis and now my left foot and part of my leg is quite inflamed. Their is broken skin so i am thinking an infection.

I have called the out of hours service for advice just to be on the safe side. What a time for something like this to happen.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced swelling of a foot and part of their leg before ? My feet get really bad with psoriasis and now my left foot and part of my leg is quite inflamed. Their is broken skin so i am thinking an infection.

I have called the out of hours service for advice just to be on the safe side. What a time for something like this to happen.

Is it hot and red? If so you need to see a doctor as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

BohsCeltic wrote: »

I've gotten infections on my shin twice like this before. I was given distalor 375mg anti biotics and betnovate cream. I wasn't able to get the cream last time as there was none in ireland. Don't waste any time going to the doctor becuase the first time I had an infection my leg swelled up very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Is it hot and red? If so you need to see a doctor as soon as possible

It's red but that's normal due to skin healing from previous bouts. It wasn't hot. Anyway i am already home after seeing Doc which i was surprised how quick i got an appointment.

It only really happened after my shower but it has reduced a lot after i kept my leg elevated. I was given a script for antibiotics if it is still the same tomorrow i have to take them.

• Advertisement

I got a call from my dermatologist’s office for me to not take anymore biologics..My appointment for Friday was cancelled too.

Not sure if others got the same advice.

Advertisement