Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Wonder why the Aussies slag of the Tasmanians

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2013/05/20/379630_scalesofjustice.html

Quote of the article
    The woman had been under the mistaken impression the age of consent was 16 and was ashamed and embarrassed at her conduct and was working on reconciling with her former partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Zambia wrote: »

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2013/05/20/379630_scalesofjustice.html

Quote of the article

Tasmanians are Aussies too.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Tasmanians are Aussies too.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Yeh exactly, who would believe in the whole Ghosts/Paranormal activity garbage :rolleyes:

How backwards are they.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can anyone tell me if the 6 month limit on working for one company would apply to the agency you work for, or the company that you have been sent to? I'm with my agency for about 4 months now, and my current contract is expiring next month.

I'm assuming it's the agent, i just want to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's the company you work for, not the agency.

Otherwise you could work for the same company for the entire 12 months with two different agents, or via an agent and directly. Both of which aren't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Mellor wrote: »
    It's the company you work for, not the agency.

Otherwise you could work for the same company for the entire 12 months with two different agents, or via an agent and directly. Both of which aren't allowed.

I think you're wrong here. In my case it's the agency, which I unfortunately just found out recently.

It's whoever pays your salary, in my case the company pays the agency who pays me.

My 6 months are almost up with them so I need to get something else.
    It's not as easy as just working for the same company through a different agency, they'll likely have something in the contract saying you can only work through that agency in that company.

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    I think you're wrong here. In my case it's the agency, which I unfortunately just found out recently.

It's whoever pays your salary, in my case the company pays the agency who pays me.

My 6 months are almost up with them so I need to get something else.
    It's not as easy as just working for the same company through a different agency, they'll likely have something in the contract saying you can only work through that agency in that company.
    What makes you think your 6 months is up with the agency.

From the immi website;
    Working

... all Working Holiday visa holders are limited to a maximum period of six months work with any one employer. This limitation applies to all employers and all forms of work.

The 'employer' is the business or organisation for which you are working directly.

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months. You cannot stay in the same position with an employer for more than six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

What makes you think your 6 months is up with the agency.

From the immi website;

Hhmmmm well this is going against what they said, now I'm not sure.

I guess you can look at it both ways.

The way I was looking at it is I'm an I.T. consultant who works for this agency, the agency just send me where ever they want.

They seemed fairly certain that I had to get sponsored if I want to work with them any longer.

Hhmmmm well this is going against what they said, now I'm not sure.

I guess you can look at it both ways.

The way I was looking at it is I'm an I.T. consultant who works for this agency, the agency just send me where ever they want.

They seemed fairly certain that I had to get sponsored if I want to work with them any longer.
    Are they are employment agency who found you a job or are they an IT company contracted for the work.

A subtle, but key difference.

• Advertisement

Are they are employment agency who found you a job or are they an IT company contracted for the work.

A subtle, but key difference.

They do both kind of - they can find you a full time job and you're done with them, but they're also a consultancy group who hire contractors and send you on short term roles.
    They aren't really an IT company.

Short term contracting still falls under employment agency. Where they find individuals who are taken on on contract with the company.
    If you have a contract with your current company you actually do the work for, you can stay with the recruitment company past 6 months in another role. Regardless of who pays the wages.

An IT company, would be be a situation where a bank (or whatever) hires the company to provide IT services. Their contract is with the company directly for the service and you personally have no connection with the bank.

Short term contracting still falls under employment agency. Where they find individuals who are taken on on contract with the company.
    If you have a contract with your current company you actually do the work for, you can stay with the recruitment company past 6 months in another role. Regardless of who pays the wages.

An IT company, would be be a situation where a bank (or whatever) hires the company to provide IT services. Their contract is with the company directly for the service and you personally have no connection with the bank.

I see. Well what you are saying is what I thought the situation was all along.
    Last week they called me to tell me my 6 months is almost up and I need to get sponsored. I worked through them for one company for 3 months, and the one I'm with for 3 months.
    I can't see any reason why they would think I need to get sponsored other than they're being extra careful with regards visa rules, or that they have some sort of agreement with the visa company and they're screwing me over. They want me to sign up one of those companies that sponsors you but takes a % of your salary and you need to stay with them for a minimum of 6 months.

I see. Well what you are saying is what I thought the situation was all along.
    Last week they called me to tell me my 6 months is almost up and I need to get sponsored. I worked through them for one company for 3 months, and the one I'm with for 3 months.

Show them the quote from immi I posted and see what they say.
    I can't see any reason why they would think I need to get sponsored other than they're being extra careful with regards visa rules, or that they have some sort of agreement with the visa company and they're screwing me over. They want me to sign up one of those companies that sponsors you but takes a % of your salary and you need to stay with them for a minimum of 6 months.

A what????
    I've never heard of a company like that, but there a lot wrong with that. For a start;

If you are working for them, they are the ones that sponsor you.
    If another company sponsors you, you can only work for that company.
    When you are sponsored, your wages are set as a condition of your visa. If you wages are 60k, then you get 60k. What ever fee the parent company gets for your placement is nothing to do with you, nor should it affect your wages.
    I'm not sure what you mean by stay with them for 6 months. When you are sponsored, you stay with that company for the duration of the visa. If you leave the company you need to find a new sponsor.

A what????
    I've never heard of a company like that, but there a lot wrong with that. For a start;

When you are sponsored, your wages are set as a condition of your visa. If you wages are 60k, then you get 60k. What ever fee the parent company gets for your placement is nothing to do with you, nor should it affect your wages.
    I'm not sure what you mean by stay with them for 6 months. When you are sponsored, you stay with that company for the duration of the visa. If you leave the company you need to find a new sponsor.

Check them out - http://www.pendragon.net.au/

Regarding the 6 months thing - I called them to inquire, I said "so what's the deal if I sign up with you guys because my WHV is almost up, and lets say 3 months later I find a company willing to sponsor me so I no longer need your services?" They said there's a clause that states you need to keep paying them a % (15 for the first 3 months, then 10% after) for minimum of 6 months. So you need to keep paying them even if lets say you got any other visa.

I admit I thought it sounded very dodgy when I first heard about this company (and there are others). But it seems they have an agreement with the government that they can sponsor people and charge for it if your job is on a skilled list. Plenty of other contractors I work with are using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

My employment agency sponsored me in a similar way so I could continue after my WHV but they ended up not charging me

My employment agency sponsored me in a similar way so I could continue after my WHV but they ended up not charging me

I found out yesterday they would pay for it if I committed to staying with them for at least 6 months, seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A what????

Ever hear of sponsoring an employee for a 457 under a LA (labor agreement)?

On-hire recruiters are paid by a client to provide an employee, the on-hire company might receive $x per hour from the client and pay the employee $y taking into consideration that the recruiter has to pay super, Insurance, obligation for employee flights home etc and still make a decent profit.

The recruiter is the employer, if the client has no need for the employees services anymore they can just turn it off like a tap. Its up to the recruiter to find another paying client or they can simply just off load the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

How's life in Oz? Pretty damn good, got my Permanent Residency, finally!

Woohoo!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

I'm working as an engineer in oz. iron mines in karratha. Hate It here but it pays well.

Another 2 or 3 years and I'm outta here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

MagnusDamm wrote: »
    I'm working as an engineer in oz. iron mines in karratha. Hate It here but it pays well.

Another 2 or 3 years and I'm outta here

I'm in Christmas Creek down the road from you for over a year. I'd be thinking the same as that but can't see myself sticking it another year let alone 3!

1003334_603783086308786_724776380_n.jpg

They must be kidding thats the most convoluted way to say ...."Please bend over"

From theJournal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

It's amazing that no-one read or authorised that before sending it out. Letters telling you to sell your home are automated now? Scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

csm wrote: »
    It's amazing that no-one read or authorised that before sending it out. Letters telling you to sell your home are automated now? Scary.

You should write back and ask them where you will get the €100 shortfall after you sell the house

Slidey wrote: »
    You should write back and ask them where you will get the €100 shortfall after you sell the house

Apparently the chick was 200 euro in arrears when she got the letter

Apparently the chick was 200 euro in arrears when she got the letter

Yeah, it's printed at the top of the page. €199.73 in arrears.

Yeah, it's printed at the top of the page. €199.73 in arrears.

Maybe that's All the house is worth

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

In Melbourne at the moment, three months, loving it, best city in the world in my opinion, scrapping buy with the hours I'm doing at work, I'll get by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I love Melbourne, fantastic city. If the wife's family wasn't here in Perth we would move over there in a heart beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Mackman wrote: »
    I love Melbourne, fantastic city. If the wife's family wasn't here in Perth we would move over there in a heart beat

Do a runner, we have lots of good wimmin here in Melbourne :D

Advertisement