Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Yeah, it's the volume of milk that's the only diff. a flat white cup is 160ml and a latte glass is 190ml, the coffee shot is about 50ml of that.

While the coffee over here is good I dislike flat whites, I want a nice big mug of coffee with just milk, not froth :D God, I'm so Irish (and I work for a coffee roaster now too:pac:)

Incedently the story goes that lattes were invented in Italy during WW2 for american soldiers who refused to drink coffee black ;)

I dont know where in NZ or Oz your ordering your flat whites, but an NZ flat white does not have foam. Yet the standard Irish one is almost all foam. Its like I didnt ask for a cappuccino or a latte.

Both Latte and FW in Ireland are so weak I end up asking for three shots in a small cup and get looked at like I have three heads. Also sick to my back teeth of being handed a coffee (or often cooked milk with coffee colouring) so hot that even holding the cup my hand is burnt, not to mention the milk AND coffee!

The idea behind milk coffees (or at least the way I understand it) is that the warm milk proteins can carry some of the coffee oils easier than water can. Myself I just dont like the water flavour I get of americanos or even some cups of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kiwipower wrote: »
    I dont know where in NZ or Oz your ordering your flat whites, but an NZ flat white does not have foam.

a proper foamy flat white from my workplace, NZ fern and all
    2012-04-05144443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah you're right.
    I was actually think about that after I posted. A plain white coffee that you'd be served in a canteen would be coffee + cold milk. I'm so used to milk being heated by default (in college too, not just Oz) that I forgot about that option outside the home. I think flat white is a cafe au lait in traditional naming.

I remember one time in college orderin an americano and expecting something fancy with syrup and cream (american style I figured) and being utterly disappointed.

this pic explains the differences well.

Thanks for that picture, always thought a cap was a latte with choc on top ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well with just under 12 weeks of waiting my ENS 856 has been granted.:)
    Have no idea what to do now. First thing I suppose is to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    Well with just under 12 weeks of waiting my ENS 856 has been granted.:)
    Have no idea what to do now. First thing I suppose is to celebrate.

Congrats so where are we going?

• Advertisement

Go get the label in your passport before they start charging.
    Go to Medicare and get your Medicare card.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Go get the label in your passport before they start charging.
    Go to Medicare and get your Medicare card.

Are they going to charge for that? I presume centrelink are the places for the medicare card?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Congrats jank!

For medicare, you'll need to find a medicare office, just have a search here: http://humanservices.findnearest.com.au/ there's loads of them about.

jank wrote: »
    Are they going to charge for that? I presume centrelink are the places for the medicare card?

They are trying to do away with labels and go to VEVO, I would try and get one to avoid confusion otherwise you will be spending a lot of time explaining you are a resident.

I heard they are going start charging for labels, $60 or something.

Yikes, will get them so tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Sh1t just got real!
    Section purchased in New Plymouth :eek:
    :):):)

Sh1t just got real!

Way to go!
    Congratulations!
    Hope you have some beautiful views of Back Beach and all!
    How big a section did you get? I know an Honest stock dealer if your looking for stock for it!

kiwipower wrote: »
    Sh1t just got real!

Way to go!
    Congratulations!
    Hope you have some beautiful views of Back Beach and all!
    How big a section did you get? I know an Honest stock dealer if your looking for stock for it!
    820m2, enough for a house and garden, no stock...
    Assuming geo tech and legal of course, so not 100% just yet

820m2, enough for a house and garden, no stock...
    Assuming geo tech and legal of course, so not 100% just yet

Good luck!
    do keep us all posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

This was posted over in motors forum, gave me a great chuckle

Congrats Cookie BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Nice one Cookie, hearing great things about Taranaki's economy right now. New Plymouth is a lovely town too with so much nice countryside and Mt Egmont to play around in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 germie

still lived in Irl 7 months ago. pretty much everything* is cheaper here, bar maybe booze which is much of a muchness. Even the tax is cheaper ;)

rent, power, fuel, cars, insurance, groceries - all the major stuff
    They need an Ikea though, furniture is really expensive.

Ikea? What about a Pennys, Lidl, Aldi, 2 euro shop? I lived in New Zealand for a year and a half a year ago and I was shocked by how expensive everything was. My advice to anyone moving over is to buy all your clothes and cosmetics including toiletries in Ireland and bring them with you it'll save you a ton while your looking for a job etc. They've no shops where you can get cheap stuff, like bed clothes, hats, scarves, SOCKS!! Stupidly I thought everything would be cheaper than Ireland so I didn't bring much with me, the socks were cheapest 7 dollars for 1 pair of socks in the warehouse... You'll be wishing for Pennys before long :) and the pay is CRAP! Its a nice country though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cantona1966

Hi all, moving to Australia and my job would be in Knoxfield. Just wondering if anybody has any information about a town called Ringwood and if there is many Irish there. I am also trying to find out if 60,000 aus dollars would be manageable to live on, thats before tax, I am married with 3 children. My wife can also work but as it stands I would be only one working at the start. All replies welcome Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I wouldn't like to try living on 60k with 3 kids in this country

$60K in Melbourne is like €22K In Dublin, rule of approx 2.7 applies in terms of wages.

• Advertisement

Why 2.7?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

$60K in Melbourne is like €22K In Dublin, rule of approx 2.7 applies in terms of wages.

How did you come to that conclusion?

At current exchange rates, $60k x 75c euro/$1 = Euro 45K

So you are saying that everything is twice as expensive here than at home?? I think that is a bit extreme.

Sorry its 2.4 not 2.7.

The Brits use this as an unofficial factor for wages UK v Australia ignoring the distortion of exchange rate. Really what they are saying is if you are earning a wage in the UK then you would expect to earn 2.4x that to give you the same standard of living.

Although you would need to factor in the Pound v Euro somewhere.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/139317-uk-salary-vs-australian-salary-advice-please.html

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725932

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724739

s.c you answered you own question

$60K is about €46K due to the exchange rate.

But you should ask someone who earns €46K in Dublin to try and live on that ($60K) in Melbourne.

Its the same but not the same if you know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Sorry its 2.4 not 2.7.

The Brits use this as an unofficial factor for wages UK v Australia ignoring the distortion of exchange rate. Really what they are saying is if you are earning a wage in the UK then you would expect to earn 2.4x that to give you the same standard of living.

Although you would need to factor in the Pound v Euro somewhere.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/139317-uk-salary-vs-australian-salary-advice-please.html

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725932

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724739

s.c you answered you own question

$60K is about €46K due to the exchange rate.

But you should ask someone who earns €46K in Dublin to try and live on that ($60K) in Melbourne.

Its the same but not the same if you know what I mean?

So 2.4 gives a Euro to Aus Dollar exchange of just under 2. 2.2 brings it closer to 1.75 for Euro to Aus dollar.

That means $60k = approx Euro 34k which is probably a bit more realistic as I do agree that the cost of living is more expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I am not sure you get the same standard of living here for $60k as you would for Euro 34k.

You will struggle to bring up children here on $60k without being entitled to family tax allowance. That is how most Australians manage to bring up children on that wage. I would advise you to bring plenty of money to set up your family until your wife can get a job. I would also advise you to stock up on kids clothes and shoes before you arrive here as the prices are crazy.

s.c wrote: »
    So 2.4 gives a Euro to Aus Dollar exchange of just under 2. 2.2 brings it closer to 1.75 for Euro to Aus dollar.

That means $60k = approx Euro 34k which is probably a bit more realistic as I do agree that the cost of living is more expensive here.

well its not an exchange rate.... its a factor.

The currency exchange rate is a distortion, best forget about it unless you are earning in Ireland and living in Australia.

I doubt $60K is anything like €34K.

Ireland's average salary is funny enough €34K

Where as Australia's average salary is $73K (€56K)

$60K is $13k below the average wage, so compare that with your €34K and I would say its closer to €27K or less.

** Just had a thought** if you divide Ave. Aus wage/Ave. Irish wage will give you a good guide.

$73K/€34K= 2.147

$60K/2.147 = €28K around the ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cantona1966

Thanx all for the replies, looks like my dream is over before it begins.:( Was nice while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Whats the family tax allowance and how do you become entitled to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

• Advertisement

No6 wrote: »
    Whats the family tax allowance and how do you become entitled to it?

Become a Permanent Resident or Australian Citizen.

Advertisement