Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

White & black puddings

Do any of the mainstream supermarkets do these??

I've seen black pudding in coles.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

White & black puddings

Saw them in Countdown Wanganui, not sure if I would buy them though.
    Doubt they will be anywhere as good as those in Ireland.
    Sausages, European meats, European style cheeses, Rashers etc are no where near the same standard in NZ.
    Maybe a little cottage industry for a forward thinking Irish/European butcher etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

White & black puddings

IGA do Scottish Pudding. Not great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

And the Forum has been changed.

In a few days we will move the Recent NZ Threads to the NZ Forum.

Thanks for all the support guys

s.c wrote: »
    IGA do Scottish Pudding. Not great though.

I got something from IGA called blood pudding but its written in German.
    Almost disintegrates in the frying pan :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

I got something from IGA called blood pudding but its written in German.
    Almost disintegrates in the frying pan :(

Drishìn?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zambia wrote: »
    And the Forum has been changed.

In a few days we will move the Recent NZ Threads to the NZ Forum.

Thanks for all the support guys

yay, no more traveling through heaps of aussie drivel

/unsubscribes

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to get farm work/fruit picking in the cairns area? Ill be checking all the usual sites but im looking for personal experience if possible? Ive heard of a place called banana barracks but the reviews of it vary hugely. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I got my work visa for 2 more years in NZ -so ironically I will celebrate by watching the Super 15 final in an Irish pub here in New Plymouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lordedward

hi just wondering if i can get some help am going moving to melbourne in a few months my job will be based in oakleigh my partner is a nurse and just wondering if anyone knows locations of hospitals in melbourne or is there a site i can look up to find out just trying to find best location for both of us to live without to much travel for either of us thanks in advance for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

lordedward wrote: »
    hi just wondering if i can get some help am going moving to melbourne in a few months my job will be based in oakleigh my partner is a nurse and just wondering if anyone knows locations of hospitals in melbourne or is there a site i can look up to find out just trying to find best location for both of us to live without to much travel for either of us thanks in advance for any help

MAROONDAH HOSPITAL is only a 27 min drive from Oakleigh.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mutleydub

no its all ****! find a local irish/british to advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Saw this and thought it was funny and kinda apt for here

71101ACA-A030-40B2-BA72-66F6B158CA41-1684-000001E21B88F7A3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mutleydub wrote: »
    no its all ****! find a local irish/british to advise
    Huh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Interesting article I thought I would share.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/-260go.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ozguest

Here's some economic stuff from this weeks Aus media:

1) Table of Salary Rates on Offer for Recent Vacancies.

SalaryRanges.jpg

2) Unrelated to above table, it was reported that Australian citizens have a median wealth that is now the highest in the world (see: Credit Suisse Global Wealth report)

I wonder if that's because of our (still) overheated real estate values?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are those min/max rates???

They can't be right. I know engineers on less than the min listed and I also know admin staff on more than the max listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

is that before or after tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Even when I was working in Perth I was well over the maximum for my listed occupation category

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ozguest

Sorry, I should have been clearer, that is a list of salary ranges being offered for recent vacant postions. (Table heading now amended)
    It shows the lowest & highest salaries offered (& by industry group).
    I think may be taken from (a specific) advertised job vacancy listing, for the last 90 days. Salaries listed would be before tax.
    The source would be an HR provider/agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 jimjam1878

New Zealand is defo on my list of places to go! But can you guys offer any advise, think I've found it so easy to settle in in Oz over the last few years because it's a lot like home! Apart from the weather that is! The 6 degrees of separation is definately working here! Always running into someone I know! Even down to the food, I've even managed to find the curry from the chipper back home! But is NZ like this? Oh if anyone is wondering where to get the curry check out these guys http://www.tasteireland.com.au/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Just started working last week, can anyone tell me roughly how much of my wages I should expect to lose to tax? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

jellie wrote: »
    Just started working last week, can anyone tell me roughly how much of my wages I should expect to lose to tax? :(

Did you tick the 'treat me as a resident for tax purposes' box?

Try this http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcalc/calc_standard_hire.aspx

lg123 wrote: »
    Did you tick the 'treat me as a resident for tax purposes' box?

Try this http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcalc/calc_standard_hire.aspx

No, i was very confused, so i asked the company im contracting for what the correct one was and they said to put no. im guessing this means ill get taxed even more? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah you will not get a tax free allowance, but you can change this if you want, ask them to either send you a new form and send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

No, i was very confused, so i asked the company im contracting for what the correct one was and they said to put no. im guessing this means ill get taxed even more? :(
    I done the same thing:(

But I changed it to 'resident for tax purposes' and now Im on a much better wage. You will get back a lot of the heavy tax you paid under 'non resident for tax purposes' which you ticked. Just fill out anther tax form in work and it should take less than two weeks to sort.

AM I resident for tax purposes? like is it the wrong thing to tick but you get away with it, or is it that either are correct? its all very confusing.. got my first pay today minus 32%!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

AM I resident for tax purposes? like is it the wrong thing to tick but you get away with it, or is it that either are correct? its all very confusing.. got my first pay today minus 32%!

You are a resident for tax purposes there for you tick yes on those forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are here on a WHV and plan to be here working in the one place for 6 months+
    The. You are resident for tax purposes.

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    You are a resident for tax purposes there for you tick yes on those forms.
    That's not true. What you tick on the form doesn't change whether or not you are actually a resident for tax purposes. Just how your tax is estimated by payroll.

When you do your tax return at the end of the year the proper category is applied.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This place has died a death, so decided to post a gif!

tumblr_m7fva25ZiU1qzq85ao1_400.gif

Advertisement