Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

No6 wrote: »

This link only says that you may be entitled to it if you meet the requirments with regards to children. It doesn't go into visa status. You cannnot get this allowance on sponsored visas.

It is a big factor for families considering the move as you are giving up your entitlements in Ireland and possibly getting nothing here. Without these entitlement being able to bring up a family on a lower income in Australia would be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

fbewkh.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

7 deg this morning, I was fcuking perished :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Having a bit of an Indian summer here in wonderful Wellington. It will soon be time to head for the snowfields though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Not sure about this but looking at trying to decipher this one.

The OH may need an OP which could put her out of work for the best part of a month or two. However there seems to be a waiting period for anyone to avail of most social services in Australia.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/newly_arrived.htm#what

The thing is we have been living here for well over two years now but been told that the waiting period only starts when you get the PR visa. Can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

Give centrelink a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 muffy mcmullan

hi there, new to this and just saw your question re living on 60k over here in australia and noticed the salary comparisons to home. Just wanted to give you a bit of advice as I am also on 60k aud however i do not have a family. After tax you will come out with $3700k. Im living in melbourne, im sure knoxfield would be considerably cheaper but i reckon it would be tight supporting a family on that wage to be honest. Things are not as expensive as people say if you are clever about it. but you may also have to pay school fees etc depending on the visa your coming on? I was just on 30k euro before i left Dublin and my standard of living and disposable income is alot more than i had at home! I reckon in comparitive terms 60k aud is prob the same as being on around 43K euro. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ladindublin

im heading over to Auz in October and am wondering if anyone knows the best way to see Asia, ie, where to fly into and out of. I want to visit Thailand, vietnam, Cambodia and Laos before flying to Sydney. Also whats the finance job situation in Sydney?

I`ve a question if anyone can answer please:
    Do Australia working hours include lunch break?
    i.e I`m working from 8am until 5pm 5 days a week = 45 hours
    but i`m supposed to be doin a 38 hour week. Others in work at the same but they work 50+ hours a week, unpaid for all the extra which is why i stick to 8 - 5 (the others do 7am to 5pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

but i`m supposed to be doin a 38 hour week. Others in work at the same but they work 50+ hours a week, unpaid for all the extra which is why i stick to 8 - 5 (the others do 7am to 5pm).
    standard working hours is 38hrs a week, so i reckon your 7hours extra a week would include 1hr lunch break, and 20mins a day minor breaks.
    Read up on working hours here: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment/conditions-of-employment/pages/hours-of-work.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

hussey wrote: »
    standard working hours is 38hrs a week, so i reckon your 7hours extra a week would include 1hr lunch break, and 20mins a day minor breaks.
    Read up on working hours here: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment/conditions-of-employment/pages/hours-of-work.aspx
    If your contract you sign before you start work has 38 houra in it, then you are expected to work 38 hours, no matter how much time you take for lunches.
    If anyone argues with you, wave that contract in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Just Finished work today, getting close now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Busy day for me, 3 interviews with 3 Ford garages. All over the place, the furthest being about 75km south of northbridge:rolleyes:

Plug - are you a mechanic? Have you tried Automotive Personnel? Just one thing to watch out for is that not every group offers overtime here. Some places will pay you for 38 hours and that is all you will work but no overtime is ever on offer. Others will pay you overtime by the minute at penalty rates. It can all make a big difference to your take-home pay. Not to mention the different bonus structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your contract you sign before you start work has 38 houra in it, then you are expected to work 38 hours, no matter how much time you take for lunches.
    If anyone argues with you, wave that contract in their face.
    You are expected to work 38 hours.
    Lunch breaks doesn't count towards time you are working. That's pretty standard everywhere. It's probably explain in the contract too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ellaq wrote: »
    Plug - are you a mechanic? Have you tried Automotive Personnel? Just one thing to watch out for is that not every group offers overtime here. Some places will pay you for 38 hours and that is all you will work but no overtime is ever on offer. Others will pay you overtime by the minute at penalty rates. It can all make a big difference to your take-home pay. Not to mention the different bonus structures.
    Got offered the job in the first place, 3rd biggest in the country. Starting Wednesday. He told me they have over time and bonus schemes in place and prefer the mechanics to use them. They will sponsor me as well after a trial period and offer me a PR then a good bit down the line. Happy days:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Congrats dude

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Looking for some help with a question on transferring money.. im going to oz in a couple of weeks, have my bank account set up and about to transfer money using internet banking (AIB) & im stuck on the first step!

Its asking me for the payment currency of the transfer - would it be euro or aus dollars? seems like a stupid question :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jellie wrote: »
    Looking for some help with a question on transferring money.. im going to oz in a couple of weeks, have my bank account set up and about to transfer money using internet banking (AIB) & im stuck on the first step!

Its asking me for the payment currency of the transfer - would it be euro or aus dollars? seems like a stupid question :o:o:o

It's what ever you want. If you want 200euro then it takes 200euro, if you want 200Aus then it takes what ever that is in euro (with exchange rate)

I strongly advise you not to go with AIB to transfer money, you will get a much better rate and save you a good bit $ if you use currency fair
    read up on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76408971

Thanks for the advice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Slidey wrote: »
    7 deg this morning, I was fcuking perished :o

Thanked, cos I haven't heard that word in years.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I have gotten my job permanently here so I am applying for a work visa, then residency. Looking forward to staying here for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you're in new plymouth too?
    doing what? don't rent from a girl called Nic by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Liamu2

Hey does any one know any good sites to help me plan my trip to oz?

Im looking for things i can do through fas (as i am on unemployment benifit) or at least get funding for, that will stand to me and be valid in australia such as lorry driving or machinery tickets and things like that.

Does anyone know if thats even possible?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Been subscribed to this thread for ages but never really contributed.......here goes......

I arrived in Oz in August 2010. I completed a degree in chemistry and a masters in geochemistry the 5 years previous and after almost a year of looking for jobs in Eire and the UK, I gave up and moved over to oz to visit one of my best friends and find work. I arrived in Melbourne and I was surprised how cold it was! I quickly learned about the "4 seasons in one day" theory. It took me around a month to find any kind of work. In desperation I got a job in event advertising, which put me wayyy out of my comfort zone. The money was 100% commission based and I hated it but the experience was very beneficial. Then, I got a job in construction as a temp for a few weeks. Earning over a grand a week, I was on cloud nine after being almost broke for a while and living on crap food and goon :) Once that job finished, I got a job in office removals. The company had won a huge contract from suncorp to move their offices from St Kilda Rd to William St in the CBD. I worked all sorts of crazy hours but it kept me afloat. In the interim I applied on seek for chemistry jobs and signed up to agencies. As a graduate with no experience I had no luck, became disillusioned and went back home for xmas.

I came back via Thailand (heaven on earth) and landed in Perth with only a few grand in my back pocket in mid February. Living in a hostel it was the usual look for jobs during the day, drink at night routine for a month (but i made the most amazing friends ever!). Then, I actually got a call back from Seek asking if I would like to come for an interview! Obviously I jumped at it. It was as an industrial chemist in the waste industry.Not something I ever envisaged doing! In my first ever interview, I nailed it and got the job! Granted the money was ****e but i was focused on experience only. I had a rocky start but I passed the probation period. I Signed a new contract, still on crap money but even though 100's of companies had turned me down I had the utmost confidence in myself to fulfil my destiny of making a success of myself. I excelled at my job beyond belief. I have gained around 14 certs/tickets in 12 months, all of which are applicable to the mines. I got the operators to train me up in the operation of a bobcat and excavator. I will obtain the tickets shortly. I have been promoted from graduate chemist to junior chemist to senior chemist/major project consultant. Managing a $2M dollar government contract at the moment and consulting on 2 mining contracts worth $4.5M. Today, Finally after 16 months of long hours on ****e pay, I got a massive pay rise to make me the best paid chemist in our company, even though some have 6 yrs experience. I was told that this time next year I wont be a chemist, I will be a manager :)

This proves, anything is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Timistry wrote: »
    Been subscribed to this thread for ages but never really contributed.......here goes......

I arrived in Oz in August 2010. I completed a degree in chemistry and a masters in geochemistry the 5 years previous and after almost a year of looking for jobs in Eire and the UK, I gave up and moved over to oz to visit one of my best friends and find work. I arrived in Melbourne and I was surprised how cold it was! I quickly learned about the "4 seasons in one day" theory. It took me around a month to find any kind of work. In desperation I got a job in event advertising, which put me wayyy out of my comfort zone. The money was 100% commission based and I hated it but the experience was very beneficial. Then, I got a job in construction as a temp for a few weeks. Earning over a grand a week, I was on cloud nine after being almost broke for a while and living on crap food and goon :) Once that job finished, I got a job in office removals. The company had won a huge contract from suncorp to move their offices from St Kilda Rd to William St in the CBD. I worked all sorts of crazy hours but it kept me afloat. In the interim I applied on seek for chemistry jobs and signed up to agencies. As a graduate with no experience I had no luck, became disillusioned and went back home for xmas.

I came back via Thailand (heaven on earth) and landed in Perth with only a few grand in my back pocket in mid February. Living in a hostel it was the usual look for jobs during the day, drink at night routine for a month (but i made the most amazing friends ever!). Then, I actually got a call back from Seek asking if I would like to come for an interview! Obviously I jumped at it. It was as an industrial chemist in the waste industry.Not something I ever envisaged doing! In my first ever interview, I nailed it and got the job! Granted the money was ****e but i was focused on experience only. I had a rocky start but I passed the probation period. I Signed a new contract, still on crap money but even though 100's of companies had turned me down I had the utmost confidence in myself to fulfil my destiny of making a success of myself. I excelled at my job beyond belief. I have gained around 14 certs/tickets in 12 months, all of which are applicable to the mines. I got the operators to train me up in the operation of a bobcat and excavator. I will obtain the tickets shortly. I have been promoted from graduate chemist to junior chemist to senior chemist/major project consultant. Managing a $2M dollar government contract at the moment and consulting on 2 mining contracts worth $4.5M. Today, Finally after 16 months of long hours on ****e pay, I got a massive pay rise to make me the best paid chemist in our company, even though some have 6 yrs experience. I was told that this time next year I wont be a chemist, I will be a manager :)

This proves, anything is possible!

What a fantastic story. You are obviously an incredibly hard worker! With brilliant drive determination &are not afraid to give anything a try!
    YOU SHOULD BE INCREDIBLY PROUD OF YOURSELF!
    I wish you the best of luck for the future &hope you enjoy your new life in oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

If you dont mind me asking timistry did you look for jobs relating to the mines specifically at the start,
    it seems odd someone with your education would struggle to get any job you can in oz?!

House hunting in sydney is driving me absolutely insane. UGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Yip great story, fair play ;-)

• Advertisement

White & black puddings

Do any of the mainstream supermarkets do these??

Advertisement