Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

report from the trenches:-

Panic among the drivers of Ireland as everyone woke up this morning and decided to go buy themselves a toll tag.

I've had 3 people in already this morning wanting a tag before going nuts when they realise the tolltag.ie one costs €30 up front.

I recommended one bloke to go online and sign up as its a far better deal....the reply was "online? how the f**k can I go online, I don't even have a f**kin computer"

you have to laugh........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sure I still haven't got mine and I've been following it here the whole time :P

You know it's still unclear who gives the best deal for Vans drivers who are VAT registered. Tagcompare.ie give a comparison of everything but the charges. Or maybe I'm just missing something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

M50 seemed very quiet as I passed over it heading into Palmerstown and back a short while ago. I have to head northbound on it in a while though so that should be the acid test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SeanSD

This is a very interesting tread!

Yet again the good old Irish justify us all getting raped by private companies! Good on us.

Where’s the old fashioned what “can you do” or “sure it’s worth it”

I have heard through the grapevine that the national toll roads are going to make it easier for people passing through the toll.
    With every 30 euro you spend you will get a free tube of KY jelly. To make your passage (through the toll) that bit easier.

2 euro if you give them you’re inside leg measurements 3 euro of you doesn’t.

Here’s what’s going to happen:

People will stop using the toll (or the poor b*****ds that can’t afford it)

We will go back to using the old roads

Our business (sorry government) leaders will bring in a congestion charge to reduce the traffic in the city.

Hay presto, you can go nowhere without putting your hand in your pocket.

And the great Irish public will do what?????
    The same as always........ Nothing.

If they brought in a Tax on M****s the Irish would justify it and pay the bill.

Look on any street and you will see gangs of youths that are REALLY HARD (or so they think)
    Open your ears and you will hear their parents say “No now screws me over”

Guess what, you’re not hard and they have been screwing you over for years. Your just to stupid or to yellow to do anything about it.

Sorry if I have upset anyone. You can all go back to figuring out the best way to comply with the great private companies of Ireland. I hope you get the best plan for your cars, trucks and vans.

I really miss the "What can you do"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It just me or is it a very very straightforward operation made to seem far more complicated by the "meeedja"?

I am an infrequent user, maybe 4 times a month. Just looked at eflow.ie there and going to go for a video account, put some money in my account and forget about it. Simple.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You seem to have it sorted there. Nothing complicated at all.

The media are having a field day blowing everything out of all proportions.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    It just me or is it a very very straightforward operation made to seem far more complicated by the "meeedja"?

I am an infrequent user, maybe 4 times a month. Just looked at eflow.ie there and going to go for a video account, put some money in my account and forget about it. Simple.

Am I missing something?

Well like always, I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the best deal:P Vat registered, ford transit, use it maybe 4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah I suppose it's different for business users but the confusion that seemed to be floating around really was laughable. Confusion that really did seem to be largely created by bored "journalists".

It is August! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I presume the fine notices will be sent by normal post and not registered post.

So in the event of legal proceedings it will suffice to say that you didnt receive the fine, and have the case thrown or struck out.

And if ur vehicle is registered in a comapny name any summons issued in that name will be struck out in court as no person name appears on the summons.

Only a person can be summonsed, not a company name.

Cant wait to see what effect this will have on the already over crowded courts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

And if ur vehicle is registered in a comapny name any summons issued in that name will be struck out in court as no person name appears on the summons.

This is not a driving offence, it is a debt. Debts can be pursued against companies, in fact it would be much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

SeanSD wrote: »
    This is a very interesting tread!

Yet again the good old Irish justify us all getting raped by private companies! Good on us.

Where’s the old fashioned what “can you do” or “sure it’s worth it”

I have heard through the grapevine that the national toll roads are going to make it easier for people passing through the toll.
    With every 30 euro you spend you will get a free tube of KY jelly. To make your passage (through the toll) that bit easier.

2 euro if you give them you’re inside leg measurements 3 euro of you doesn’t.

Here’s what’s going to happen:

People will stop using the toll (or the poor b*****ds that can’t afford it)

We will go back to using the old roads

Our business (sorry government) leaders will bring in a congestion charge to reduce the traffic in the city.

Hay presto, you can go nowhere without putting your hand in your pocket.

And the great Irish public will do what?????
    The same as always........ Nothing.

If they brought in a Tax on M****s the Irish would justify it and pay the bill.

Look on any street and you will see gangs of youths that are REALLY HARD (or so they think)
    Open your ears and you will hear their parents say “No now screws me over”

Guess what, you’re not hard and they have been screwing you over for years. Your just to stupid or to yellow to do anything about it.

Sorry if I have upset anyone. You can all go back to figuring out the best way to comply with the great private companies of Ireland. I hope you get the best plan for your cars, trucks and vans.

I really miss the "What can you do"

A) The state now owns Westlink
    B) The toll is still the same price if you could be arsed to organise yourself
    C) You can shop around for a better deal on admin costs
    D) You'll probably save more in fuel at peak times than the admin charge adds.
    E) EPIC FAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

A) The state now owns Westlink
    Show me where it stats the Government own the toll roads! Then I will believe you.
    The toll is still the same price if you could be arsed to organise yourself
    Explain how 2.00/2.50/3.00 is the same price
    You can shop around for a better deal on admin costs
    Admin costs to use it once a year.
    You'll probably save more in fuel at peak times than the admin charge adds.
    Ya sure you will.... then waist it again going over all the speed bumps we now have.
    EPIC FAIL
    On the part of the Irish people for excepting this. Finally something we agree on.

It’s nothing to do with money or being organised. It’s to do with charging people differently based on the way they register. If I was a multimillionaire I would still have the same complaint.

What about people down the country who never used a toll? They drive to Dublin airport (not knowing how all this works) hop on a plane and are gone for two weeks only to discover they have to remortgage there house when they get back because they used the M50 on their way up.

I use the toll about once a year. So I have to go to all the trouble and maybe not use it at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They had part of the toll building removed this morning already. Wouldn't surprise me if it was all gone on monday moring at that rate. Going to be some bottle neck north-bound at Blanch for the next few weeks :-(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RYR154 wrote: »
    Show me where it stats the Government own the toll roads! Then I will believe you.

It must be hard to be so media isolated as to have missed the state purchasing the Westlink off NTR...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/invisible-toll-part-of-600m-deal-to-buy-out-westlink-bridge-62019.html

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1010268.shtml
    Explain how 2.00/2.50/3.00 is the same price

€2 is the same price as €2. Maths isn't your strong point I see...
    Ya sure you will.... then waist it again going over all the speed bumps we now have.

Theres speed bumps on the M50?
    What about people down the country who never used a toll? They drive to Dublin airport (not knowing how all this works) hop on a plane and are gone for two weeks only to discover they have to remortgage there house when they get back because they used the M50 on their way up.

Ignorance is no defence. There has been a *national* advertising campaign for this changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

MYOB wrote: »
    :D
    Nor is the English language:D:D
    :D:D
    Ignorance is no defence. There has been a *national* advertising campaign for this changeover.
    Exactly. In addition; all tags being supplied in the state are compatible with each toll road in the country, this doesn't just affect M50 users.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

was anyone there about midnight?
    passed trough it about 2 minutes to twelve on my way home from work, big crowd there celebrating, balloons, media ect.. funniest thing was the guys with the angle grinders which i presume where for the barriers :D

it was probly on the news already, I dont know I just woke up

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

fletch... wrote: »
    I dont know I just woke up

That was some lie on!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

damo9090 wrote: »
    That was some lie on!

I blame the rum

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

lol. Check this link http://www.rte.ie/live/?news its rte news on a loop. The story is there and its a few minutes long.

• Advertisement

I wonder did they choose last night because today is a Saturday and the first reports would be good?

Possibly.

It must be hard to be so media isolated as to have missed the state purchasing the Westlink off NTR...
    I completely forgot the M50 was the only toll in the country
    Are you a complete twit or is it just an act because you're very good if it is...
    €2.00 is not the only price as I have explained before.
    No…. we don’t have speed bumps on the M50 Everyone else knows this so I figured I should inform you as well (you know to keep you up to speed and that).

Now you better sit down for this but we have R and N roads as well. If you look at your rules of the road you would see this.
    F**k you jack I’m alright…. Is that it!!!!!
    If I know about it so should everyone else. Great answer... well done.
    ninty9er
    Nor is the English language
    You must lend me your spell checker so I can spell :D:D:D:D:D as this is your answer to quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

RYR ..less of the abusive language please ...this is a warning

My apologies, I was trying to make a point. Bad choice of words on my part.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

very bad choice but fair play for apologising!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

cormie wrote: »
    I wonder did they choose last night because today is a Saturday and the first reports would be good?

Too right. Seeing that I'm post paying I'll be debited in the first week of Sept for any crossings in the last 2 days of August. Maybe a short test to make sure the debit system will function properly. Any bugs would only cost them max 2 days worth of tolls for certain account setups. Better then finding a problem after a full months worth of crossings.
    Felt weird not stopping passing the plaza this morning. Only time it's happened before for me was IIRC, 31st Dec'99/1st Jan'00. Can't remember if it was the night or morning crossing but one of them the place was deserted and all barriers were up.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If they tried this in France there would be cars on fire on the bridge and the whole city would be at a standstill for 2 weeks, but when it all washed out, there would be no toll on the bridge. Tis a pity we have forgotten how to protest, I hope we don't get invaded again anytime soon...

I was waved through before when a garda car sped up behind me. Felt so good getting through for free :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It gets better...

They've sacked 120 workers from the toll bridge here and the NRA call centre is set up in the UK??????

I despair.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-barrier-means-no-jobs-for-120-tollbridge-staff-1464543.html

Advertisement