Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Did Anyone Get Their e-flow tag yet?

Its MASSIVE!!

Its the same size as a regular digital camera.

Got mine today and was also shocked at the size of it. Thank god it's going on a van windscreen cause if it was for my car I wouldn't be able to see the road.

Some pics to see what it like compared to an Eazypass tag and a N70. Plastic piece over Eazypass tag is the eflow tag holder.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/thetaxman2006/IMG_0086.jpg
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/thetaxman2006/IMG_0087.jpg
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/thetaxman2006/IMG_0095.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Exactly its huge.. and the pics still don't reflect the true size.

I wonder what other problems will pop up as of Sunday.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It looks exactly like the old easypass tag from 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What is the deal for non Irish reg cars ?

Exactly its huge.. and the pics still don't reflect the true size.

True,it looks smaller in the photos but my camera skills to reflect it's hugeness failed.:D At least it gives some idea of it's bulk. Think it's holder is a joke,try fitting all that behind the rear view mirror as stated in the instructions. Luckily I've no rear view mirror so no worries there.:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

True,it looks smaller in the photos but my camera skills to reflect it's hugeness failed.:D At least it gives some idea of it's bulk. Think it's holder is a joke,try fitting all that behind the rear view mirror as stated in the instructions. Luckily I've no rear view mirror so no worries there.:p
    heheh - you just wanted to show off your N90 didn't you :p

agree - it's pretty bulky, it must be an active RFID and have internal batteries .

SteveC wrote: »

agree - it's pretty bulky, it must be an active RFID and have internal batteries .

Not cool enough for a N90,I could only get the N70.:D:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What is the deal for non Irish reg cars ?
    Its exactly the same deal as for Irish cars! Only they can't (therefore won't?) really enforce it!

I think they all have internal batteries for the RFID.

I think you are right SteveC. Just removed it from the bin and cracked it open.

There is a battery inside.

Tekcell lithium battery which is soldered on. A small antenna/coil thing in there too and 3 large chips. Also what looks like alot of wasted PCB.

They still could have made it smaller or just purchased the same tag as everyone else.

Oh well. Silly NTR.

Keep on e-crashing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not cool enough for a N90,I could only get the N70.:D:D
    I so failed to read that written on the front of it didn't I...:o :D
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    I think they all have internal batteries for the RFID.
    Passive RFID doesn't (e.g. key fobs / store security tags etc..) It's not as powerful and I doubt it would have enough range for the toll scanners though.
    It's interesting though, and may have been mentioned already, but the tags will have a limited life because of this and pandemonium is bound to set in in a year or two when they all start to fail at the same time.

I think you are right SteveC. Just removed it from the bin and cracked it open.

heheh - post a pic of it... :D

Would love to but dont know how im afraid.

Its nothing much to look at. Just a few components on a ginormous PCB with a AA battery soldered on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beeelzebubba

Hey just got my TollTag today and lo and be-hold its not working, Oh it bleeps alright when you drive up to the booth, but you get this big sign saying account suspended!!!! Got this back from them after emailing my complaint below!

"I just checked your account and there is a valid and active tag in it. One outside possibility is the tag that shipped may have the wrong number although all of our records say otherwise. Can you confirm the tag number when possible please

The tags are valid on all Irish toll roads and should not be rejected by any plaza. The tag itself is working otherwise the plaza would not have flashed any message, however there is no reason for the account suspended message. I will look into it, however in the meantime I would appreciate it if you could let us have the tag number

I'm very sorry your first experience has been so poor and we will put it right, if the tag confirms as the right one and the plaza doesnt offer a good explanation then we will replace the tag"

Response was quick but methinks that there is going to be a lot of this over the next while, so lets just say I will be holding my breath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

but the tags will have a limited life because of this and pandemonium is bound to set in in a year or two when they all start to fail at the same time.
    The type of active tags used for tolls have an average of 5 years life through normal use and will give s warning beep just like a smoke alarm when thee battery is running low.

The type of active tags used for tolls have an average of 5 years life through normal use and will give s warning beep just like a smoke alarm when thee battery is running low.

OK. They're still all going to run out at the same time though - aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Received an email from EFLOW on tuesday, stating that the tags were on their way to be delivered, but if I had not received it by saturday, then they would charge me as if i had the tag fitted ie 2 euros rather then 3 euros.
    Hope they stick to their word.

Also as the tags look really big can they be fitted elsewhere on the windscreen, near the tax disc on the left maybe. Or does it have to be behind the rear view mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

OK. They're still all going to run out at the same time though - aren't they?

It would depend on useage, ie one used frequently will be sending outt a signal and giving an audible "beep" more regularly. It will also depend on the quality of battery fitted, ie Duracell which could last uo to 5 times longer than a normal battery :pac::pac::pac:l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Got my tag yesterday from eflow, rang up and got it activated, the lady on the phone said it was active immediately yet when I tried to use it today it wouldn't work :( Apparently although your tag is active the system isn't active until saturday?!?!? Has anyone used there eflow tag?

Also on the side I put it behind the rearview mirror in my yaris and you can barely see it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Received an email from EFLOW on tuesday, stating that the tags were on their way to be delivered, but if I had not received it by saturday, then they would charge me as if i had the tag fitted ie 2 euros rather then 3 euros.
    Hope they stick to their word.

Also as the tags look really big can they be fitted elsewhere on the windscreen, near the tax disc on the left maybe. Or does it have to be behind the rear view mirror.

For reliability on other toll roads with lower powered readers I would advice putting it behind the rear view. The readers on the M4 for instance are both weak and overhead, they may not pick up a tag thats down at the bottom of your screen. You barely see it behind the rearview anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have an eTrip tag and it's fitted behind my rearview mirror as well. I had questions about it originally as the instructions said it had to be fitted on the small black dotted area behind the rearview mirror, but in my case I had to fit it to the left or the right as the black dotted area didnt go down far enough. But it worked so no worries.

I agree with MYOB, they are very small. Mine is about the size of a small box of matches and at first when I fitted it, I felt that it stood out a lot. Now I get into the car and I don't even notice it's there.

I think the reason for them saying it should go on that area behind the rear-view mirror is something to do with windscreens having metal deposits in them, but that black dotted area doesn't. That was news to me anyway when I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

I'm travelling to Dublin Airport in the morning, i have no account (video or tag) set up. I will have 24 hrs to pay the €3:eek: charge......does that mean that when i return from my journey in a weeks time that i will incur the relevant penalty for late payment of the toll? Or is there a facility at the airport to pay this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

You can pay it over the phone with a credit or laser card AFAIK. Get it sorted before you take off of get someone at home to go into a shop with payzone to pay it before 8pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you can set up an account with credit in it, this way it'll only cost you €2.50. AFAIK, there is a booth or something in the airport, but do you really need that kind of hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

i was given an easy pass card today because i drive a company van does this mean i can use this in my car when i need to go through the toll bridge instead of having to buy one for my car?

it has the reg number of the van on it so will they just charge it as if i was driving my van?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

threads merged

sorry folks ...merged with the wrong thread by accident, so the re-direct leads to the wrong thread ...oops

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

paddyblue wrote: »
    Or is there a facility at the airport to pay this?

The kiosk newsagents at the airport arrivals and departures both have payzone terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Barrier-free tolling starts on M50 tonight

Barrier-free tolling comes into effect on the M50 motorway in Dublin from midnight tonight.

The old toll plaza will no longer be in use and several new payment methods will come into place.

It will take around two months to dismantle and remove the toll plaza structure.

Earlier this week, the National Roads Authority assured M50 drivers that those who had registered for electronic tags would receive them before barrier-free tolling was introduced.

Tag-registered car drivers will be charged €2 to use the toll-bridge but it will cost non-registered drivers €3.

Woo! Any boardsies amongst the first through? Kinda like the fall of the Berlin wall all over again.:D

Let the fun and games begin.

Did the last payers at the plaza get nailed again at the electronic tolling point?

Did they hold all traffic at the plaza until the electronic tolling was switched on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Let the fun and games begin.

Indeed :D

Advertisement