Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

In addition, the tags can't be read through certain vehicles' windsreens, for example cars with heated front screens.

Don't be surprised it the NRA have to retain the cash option, we should be given a choice!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Well that's not true.
    I have a heated windscreen in mione and the tag works fine.
    There is a special section on the screen to put the tag.
    I'm more worried about the cameras not reading the plates correctly.
    There is a hefty fine for plates not matching tags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I know Mercs and Renault Lagunas being sold in Singapore had to have their UV windscreens changed because their tags couldn't be read - gas if the NRA didn't learn from Singapore:P

And with the amount of rain combined with construction trucks dumping muck on the roads, those no. plates will get dirty very quickly these days :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i use the M50 about 12 times a year.

what should I do? or will I receive a bill in the door. Can I still stop and pay.

9 pages to read through. dont really want to

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gsxr1 wrote: »

what should I do? or will I receive a bill in the door. Can I still stop and pay.

You'll receive a bill for 6 euro through the door if you don't do anything. You cannot stop and pay at the bridge; but you can go in to a few thousand different retail outlets (shops, petrol stations) and pay 3 euro.

'video registration' on eflow.ie would bring that down to 2.50 but you need a payment card of some kind (I think its either specifically CC or Laser but can't remember which!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

MYOB wrote: »
    You'll receive a bill for 6 euro through the door if you don't do anything. You cannot stop and pay at the bridge; but you can go in to a few thousand different retail outlets (shops, petrol stations) and pay 3 euro.

'video registration' on eflow.ie would bring that down to 2.50 but you need a payment card of some kind (I think its either specifically CC or Laser but can't remember which!).

I drive a van .

So I would be better to register . not receive the tag and just get a laser debit each time.

does that sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

gsxr1 wrote: »

I would go for the tag from tolltag.ie and it'll cost you €2.20 each time. Video registration will cost €2.50 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

luckat wrote: »
    But you have to buy that tag for <ouch> €30.

Yeah thte 30quid up front is a bit steep - I went with their second option, which is an initial 40quid of credit and the account must always have 12quid in it - they auto-topup to 20 when it reaches 12. Think its the best of a bad bunch - I use the bridge maybe twice a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Remember that old scam/urban myth about spraying you reg plates with hair lacquer to stop speed camera from reading your reg? I can't wait for the new batch of reg cloaking ideas for this saga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

oclugg wrote: »
    Remember that old scam/urban myth about spraying you reg plates with hair lacquer to stop speed camera from reading your reg? I can't wait for the new batch of reg cloaking ideas for this saga.

Some sort of Automatic registration blocker device you can activate on approach. With an image of a hand giving the finger of course instead of the number plate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

siralfalot wrote: »
    hmmmm... where do I order one of these??! ;):D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJEe6M9PdqY

I think this is what you are looking for. Should pay for itself in no time :)

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5718&products_id=36244&zenid=33124e62b576a9bf6bec6cc699d0deb4

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone know what the consequences of being caught using one of them would be? If it is just a fine, it could be well worth it :D

What section of what act would it fall under I wonder? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭championc

dubwex wrote: »
    If the cameras cant recognise your reg plates then you wont be billed.
    Check out the product photo blocker, this may be an irish solution to an irish problem.

Not being a regular user, I used the M50 last week one evening and was looking out for the cameras and stuff. From what I saw, the kit was located all on a single gantry between the Toll and Blanch exit. There was a whole line of black boxes which I assume are for reading the Tags but above were three cameras facing towards you.

I couldn't help but think that if you never registered and were driving behind an Artic, the cameras wouldn't have a hope in hell of spotting your reg. I never saw any cameras to catch the rere plates ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I couldn't help but think that if you never registered and were driving behind an Artic, the cameras wouldn't have a hope in hell of spotting your reg. I never saw any cameras to catch the rere plates ........
    That will become the new scam.

I bet they will install rear facing cameras in short order if the scam develops legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I bet they will install rear facing cameras in short order if the
    scam develops legs.

Road-cams.... embedded in the tarmac!

They couldn't do that - they'd have to close the road for 6 months for the roadworks for installation !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Please see attached link

http://www.tagcompare.ie/t_and_c_account_charges.html

to me the "direct Route" seems good value 25 to get set up (15deposit(is this refundable) and 10 upfront (5*€2)) and €1 maintenance. But they don't do DD

Am i missing something?Do some of the other operators offset management charge against the tolls. i.e. if you use the toll you don't get charged the monthly fee? (I doubt it)

Tolltag lease seems good too €20 to get going and €1.21 monthly

See also
    http://www.tagcompare.ie/payment_options.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of them do the offset you're suggesting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EI787

narommy wrote: »
    to me the "direct Route" seems good value 25 to get set up (15deposit(is this refundable) and 10 upfront (5*€2)) and €1 maintenance. But they don't do DD

Yes, the €15 deposit plus any credit remaining on your account is refunded to you when you close the account (according to the website).

I chose this company too. I like how the minimum top up isn't as large as other companies - better for the less frequent user such as myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That will become the new scam.

I bet they will install rear facing cameras in short order if the scam develops legs.
    As far as I know most electronic toll roads use rear facing cams.

p_areshs02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I just attempted to sign up to eFlow, but the registration section (new eflow site) doesn't support Safari!

Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

crosstownk wrote: »
    I just attempted to sign up to eFlow, but the registration section (new eflow site) doesn't support Safari!

Get a real computer and use Opera :D

Oh wait, it doesn't support Opera either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

And I can't use a credit card for a tag account.......

Welcome to the stone age.

Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

As far as I know most electronic toll roads use rear facing cams.

p_areshs02.jpg

Then just do the opposite, drive in front of a truck. Closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I doubt that's going to work? What about areas like London congestion zone, I'm sure they invested in technology to combat that, think of all the dosh they'd be missing out on in bumper to bumper traffic if the cameras couldn't read the plates.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote: »
    Get a real computer and use Opera :D

Oh wait, it doesn't support Opera either :D
    Frustrating old eflow site updated for users

So

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kbannon wrote: »

Still not working for Opera though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Then just do the opposite, drive in front of a truck. Closely.
    Penalty points for tailgaiting has become an offence for a reason, Which would be worse, dodging a 3 euro fee or a e60 fine with points. You can guarantee this will all be on record with cops waiting to pounce at the nearest Garda ramp. It wouldn't surprise me if they had cameras pointing sideways to catch whose driving,

• Advertisement

An offence has to be proven and they ain't going to be able to read number plates from the side if you're tailgating.

I assume many have seen the camera gantry but has anyone seen cameras for the rere ? You can certainly get a good look at Northbound if you're travelling South and visa versa so they should be easily visable

Advertisement