Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

cianclarke wrote: »
    OK folks, heres one. 3 toll journies unpaid (Not working on my iPhone? you're joking? But what's this?Not in Google Chrome either? Safari? Course not.. Joke tbh)
    So, I think grand I'll just take the €6 * 3 =€18, i'm a tool, whatcha gonna do..
    BUT - the notices went to the previous owner. Crap system needs some STR number from the letter which I didn't have, so now they want €150 or so. For 3 trips.
    Any advice as to argue this one? Didn't have much luck first time but couldn't get a supervisor, they promised me a callback which never came.

OK, update on this one! After getting very strappy on the phone with them last time (not just stupidly angry, but pleading my case strongly), I requested a supervisor callback.
    I called again today intending to be all nice and lovely, ask how much is on the a/c, plead dumb, it's only 18 euro. Turns out they had reduced it from the €146 down to a far more reasonable 18, so i've no (major) complaints with this.
    Their site is still a joke, but I'm registered for video now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dricco

Hey guys,
    Got a question. Was up in Dublin for the Lenister v Munster game back at the start of May. Didn't realise it but on my way back to galway I took the M50 toll. Not up in Dublin much, so didn't know anything about the pay-online toll. So anyway, got a letter in the post yesterday saying I owe 150 euros in a fine. I didn't get any warning letters. It was my own stupidity, so I don't mind accepting the cost intailed to post the letter, say about 20 euros but 150 is way to steep.
    Any advice, going to call them at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Call them up and explain to them (calmly) what you have explained to us. According to someone close to me who works there they are waiving fines for people in similar situations to you. Probably better not to ask them to waive it though. Wait til they suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

dricco wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Got a question. Was up in Dublin for the Lenister v Munster game back at the start of May. Didn't realise it but on my way back to galway I took the M50 toll. Not up in Dublin much, so didn't know anything about the pay-online toll. So anyway, got a letter in the post yesterday saying I owe 150 euros in a fine. I didn't get any warning letters. It was my own stupidity, so I don't mind accepting the cost intailed to post the letter, say about 20 euros but 150 is way to steep.
    Go online, pay for 1 journey for €3 with your credit card, take a screenshot of the payment and then tell them the toll was paid for. End of. The rest of their "fines" are ambitious at best.

For the posters who said they had reported all the issues (from this thread) to the media recently, has anything come of it?? Did anybody get a response?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sizzler wrote: »
    For the posters who said they had reported all the issues (from this thread) to the media recently, has anything come of it?? Did anybody get a response?
    I'm waiting on Mr. Faughnan fro the AA to come back to me - I was first onto him a few days ago.

I was also onto the NRA and to Sue, Leggit & Run but didn't expect any level of satisfaction from them!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm waiting on Mr. Faughnan fro the AA to come back to me - I was first onto him a few days ago.

I was also onto the NRA and to Sue, Leggit & Run but didn't expect any level of satisfaction from them!
    Amazed this hasnt made the news :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Vested interests will be doing their best to keep negative stuff out of the media.

Just thinking, how would you convince eflow that you didnt use the toll if this happened to you :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/regulator-probes-claim-of-cloneacab-licence-scam-1469823.html

I received an email from someone in the Legal & Technical Services dept of the AA telling me that Conor Faughnan was on leave and will deal with it on his return - fingers crossed.

I have approached them with regard to the signs not following their own law - is there any other angles that should be pursued?

Sizzler wrote: »
    Just thinking, how would you convince eflow that you didnt use the toll if this happened to you :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/regulator-probes-claim-of-cloneacab-licence-scam-1469823.html
    I guess the onus is on them to prove that you did use the bridge!

• Advertisement

I received an email from someone in the Legal & Technical Services dept of the AA telling me that Conor Faughnan was on leave and will deal with it on his return - fingers crossed.

I have approached them with regard to the signs not following their own law - is there any other angles that should be pursued?
    I think the lack of signage is the strongest line of attack in relation to all these late fees etc.

I'd say half the people here a) Didnt even know it had got this far or b) have legitimate queries.

Will be interesting to see what happens next -

Me thinks as soon as a few of these are properly contested the whole lot will fall like a deck of cards.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/m50-court-cases--go-uncontested-1843624.html
    wrote:
    By Anne-Marie Walsh

Tuesday July 28 2009

NONE of the 1,000 motorists summoned to court for failing to pay M50 tolls have contested their case.

The vast majority of drivers have decided against engaging in a legal battle with the National Roads Authority over fines for failing to pay a €3 toll for using the motorway.

Most toll dodgers have waived their right to defend themselves in court, meaning a judgment is made against them and they must pay up.

The remainder have settled their cases with the National Roads Authority.

Under the barrier-free tolling system, motorists who choose the pay-as-you-go option must pay a €3 toll by 8pm the day after their journey is made.

If the deadline is missed, a €3 penalty is added and a further €41.50 penalty is added on if this is not paid within 14 days.

If the bill is not settled within 56 days, another €104.50 is levied and failure to pay this results in a summons being issued.

A total of 1,000 summonses have been served on drivers who repeatedly failed to pay the toll.

Judge Gerard Haughton adjourned most of the cases listed yesterday at Dublin District Court to September 21 to allow a payment schedule to be drawn up. On the first day of hearings last month, 25 cases were adjourned.

- Anne-Marie Walsh

That article is bollox. There must be a few being contested.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dricco

So, got on to eflow anyway and asked them about the toll and explained my situation. They said that they couldn't do anything for me and to contact their solicitors, who now are managing the fine. They also mentioned that a letter was sent out to me on the 5/05/08, which was 2 days after I had passed throught the toll. Now, I didn't receive any letter and that's the god honest truth. That letter supposedly warning me to pay a 6 euro fine, which I would have gladly paid. Just called the solicitors there and they sent a query to eflow about the letter. eflow then got back to the solicitors and said that the driver(ie. me) was aware that I had passed through the tool road and had not paid (which i wasn't - due to my own stupidity of course). So eflow solictors advised me to pay the fine or face a court day. What to do now, can anybody help?
    Hey guys,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 simples

So, got on to eflow anyway and asked them about the toll and explained my situation. They said that they couldn't do anything for me and to contact their solicitors, who now are managing the fine. They also mentioned that a letter was sent out to me on the 5/05/08, which was 2 days after I had passed throught the toll. Now, I didn't receive any letter and that's the god honest truth. That letter supposedly warning me to pay a 6 euro fine, which I would have gladly paid. Just called the solicitors there and they sent a query to eflow about the letter. eflow then got back to the solicitors and said that the driver(ie. me) was aware that I had passed through the tool road and had not paid (which i wasn't - due to my own stupidity of course). So eflow solictors advised me to pay the fine or face a court day. What to do now, can anybody help?

Ahhh, the dreaded letters... this was always a sticky one when I was on the phones. I'm not fully clued in as to the exact processes and am open to correction, but as I am aware with my experience, eFlow systems produced a "request" for a letter 2 days after the journey.

As a user, I could see notes on the system for each registration showing the journey, and if this wasn't paid, subsequently a note showing that a letter was to be produced. In practice however, a lot of drivers said they did not receive such letters.

To my knowledge, these letters are produced in batches, how often I am not sure, but certainly it doesn't seem they are produced daily. Therefore it seemed that letters were not produced at all as there are a lot of drivers who do not seem to get letters. I remember reading an earlier post where the user only got the letter with the highest fine, and none prior to that. Of course, most people would rather pay €6 than €150. Or at least have the opportunity to argue their case at the €6 stage.

To be honest, it did seem to me that some people thought - "Great! No letter, I got away with it," then got a shock when big fines arrived weeks later, but there are always genuine cases, and I know I would be prone to forget this sort of thing myself.

So perhaps a query could be entered to NRA, the solicitors or whoever else would be relevant to check their policy on how often the batches of letters are released, and if it's possible for letters to be missed out of batches completely?

You will need to FOI the NRA for that info.

Personally, if I was going to spend money on an FOI, I would be curious to view the data they hold on file about me and my car taken from the NVDF!

Indeed. What concerns me from a Data Protection aspect is that when you use the M50 the NRA grab your name and address from the NVDF immediately. This happens before any deadline has passed. They should only be getting the info when the toll has not been paid and not before.

Personally, if I was going to spend money on an FOI, I would be curious to view the data they hold on file about me and my car taken from the NVDF!

If you don't have a registered account, they will have the registered name and address for your vehicle, along with the license plate of course. Also details of whatever journeys your vehicle has (or is supposed to have) made. Images will also be accessible for each time you have gone through. There is also a financial history of the account, showing when tolls/fines have applied and when these have been paid.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Indeed. What concerns me from a Data Protection aspect is that when you use the M50 the NRA grab your name and address from the NVDF immediately. This happens before any deadline has passed. They should only be getting the info when the toll has not been paid and not before.

The system did not always seem to have information when the vehicle first passes through the system. Again I can only speak from my own experience but, as far as I recall, when a vehicle first appeared on the system we did not always have the registered details available. Of course I can't say if this was intentional or a time delay in receiving the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

Hi
    First time to use this board and i am looking for some advice. I went through the toll several times during christmas and so did members of my family. received fines in the post and rang to pay them. was told if I registered with them all fines would be waived and would only owe the toll fee,duly did so and heard no more until approx 3 weeks ago and received 3 solicitors letters in rapid sucession demanding €450 or we would be brought to court. rang e-flow and they admitted that the vehicle had been registered but they have decided to sue us for this fine, wouldnt give an explanation even though none of the other cars i registered were hit by the same fine even though they were mostly registered together. Am now been hassled by the solicitors to pay the fine.
    anybody got any idea what is going on?

• Advertisement

biddybops wrote: »
    Hi
    First time to use this board and i am looking for some advice. I went through the toll several times during christmas and so did members of my family. received fines in the post and rang to pay them. was told if I registered with them all fines would be waived and would only owe the toll fee,duly did so and heard no more until approx 3 weeks ago and received 3 solicitors letters in rapid sucession demanding €450 or we would be brought to court. rang e-flow and they admitted that the vehicle had been registered but they have decided to sue us for this fine, wouldnt give an explanation even though none of the other cars i registered were hit by the same fine even though they were mostly registered together. Am now been hassled by the solicitors to pay the fine.
    anybody got any idea what is going on?

Not something I have heard of before. Normally when you register a vehicle the fines should have been waived and no more said about it.

Would I be right in assuming you have been told that this particular vehicle wasn't registered on an account? If this is the case, insist eFlow listen to the original call to see what was said at the time. Not sure what they will say to that, considering the centre has since moved, but that's their problem. The crux of the matter - did the agent at the time say the vehicle was registered or not?

If the information you were given at the time was that the vehicle in question was registered and fines removed then eFlow would be at fault; if the vehicle was not mentioned or you weren't told it was registered, then I don't think eFlow will do anything for you.

If you have any proof of having paid the tolls and/or fines then dig this out if possible.

Hope this helps :)

Many thanks for that but I only opened the a/c when eflow said they would waive the fine, I also registered other cars at the same time and have had no problem. I only got one email invoice from them since. I have bank statements showing fines were payed but that is all.
    How do I go about getting them to release information regarding phone calls etc.

biddybops wrote: »
    Many thanks for that but I only opened the a/c when eflow said they would waive the fine, I also registered other cars at the same time and have had no problem. I only got one email invoice from them since. I have bank statements showing fines were payed but that is all.
    How do I go about getting them to release information regarding phone calls etc.

Normally I would advise you to phone eFlow and ask for them to listen back on the original call. However with the case now at the solicitors, the agents in the centre are probably not at liberty to discuss the case at all, on legal grounds. You could give it a shot, ask for a team leader/supervisor and try your best to keep your cool.

Alternatively, if you talk to the solicitors you could ask them have they/will they be listening to the call themselves as you believe the matter was taken care of previously.

But if the car in question was added on the account at the time of the original call, then the fines should have been waived as with the other vehicles. You would take it as given that all your vehicles were taken care of at the same time, although you would have to have mentioned them all to the agent.

I'm not sure what their exact policy is as to releasing the content of the call, it was a grey area when I worked there. Things changed pretty much on a weekly basis so I wouldn't know for certain what their policies are now.

I'm not sure what their exact policy is as to releasing the content of the call, it was a grey area when I worked there. Things changed pretty much on a weekly basis so I wouldn't know for certain what their policies are now.
    You can get the recording under the data protection act.

we have tried to explain the situation to the solicitors but they refuse to listen and just keep telling us we have to pay. e-flow have told us the car was registered at the time of paying the fine but they have now decided to get the money off us. the original fine was only €40 and I would have paid it if I had to, the fine now stands at €450.
    I have not received any letters from eflow since i registered the cars (approx 6 months) the solicitors letters was the first communication we had telling us there was a problem.
    I suppose I am just a bit surprised that they did not write to us before this.
    Regarding the Data Protection act Would anyone know the address and what the fee is.

Regarding the Data Protection act Would anyone know the address and what the fee is.
    Write to Eflow HQ and ask. The fee is €6.35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Traumadoc wrote: »

From your link:
    5,000 legal proceedings have been initiated to date - all that went to court were won by the NRA.

That's the first I've heard of a single case even going to court. Never mind 5000 cases. All won by the NRA? :eek:

Smells of fat brown envelopes being passed on to dodgy Montrose journalists, or am I missing something here?

I don't believe for a ,moment the number of cases or the fact they won every one.

They would have lost a few.

• Advertisement

how many actually went to court?

Advertisement