Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

cordub wrote: »
    Its just so sad , why do we always loose the good ones???:(
    i don't think anyone has the answer for that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

Good article on page 4 of the irish times today about the report on thornton hall and and what the government can do for the prison service within its financial constraints, its due before government this week,could be good or bad news for potential recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

somehope11 wrote: »
    Good article on page 4 of the irish times today about the report on thornton hall and and what the government can do for the prison service within its financial constraints, its due before government this week,could be good or bad news for potential recruits.
    am guessing that if they go ahead with thornton hall there is no way it would be opened without staff being recruited !!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

am guessing that if they go ahead with thornton hall there is no way it would be opened without staff being recruited !!

Wouldnt be surprised if they open it and its staffed by group 4:eek:? Could be interesting times ahead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I know of a prison officer and he loves his job. They do unsocial hours like any other public servant myself included:( I would think it's a safe enough job in Irl. Great pay but as a public servant the wage is only going to go one way and that's down.
    The training I think is two years and must be done in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

purity wrote: »
    I know of a prison officer and he loves his job. They do unsocial hours like any other public servant myself included:( I would think it's a safe enough job in Irl. Great pay but as a public servant the wage is only going to go one way and that's down.

You haven't read the full thread, have you??

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

LoanShark wrote: »
    You haven't read the full thread, have you??"

It gets better......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73090969

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

wexfjord wrote: »
    @Loanshark -"You haven't read the full thread, have you??"

It gets better......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73090969

:rolleyes:

Em..... I got nothing :(

methinks you dont have 1 clue what your talking about!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

methinks you dont have 1 clue what your talking about!!!

Some of us do like the job you know...

• Advertisement

Rawhead wrote: »
    Some of us do like the job you know...
    hahahahaha am betting your in the job about a year or two , I would love to talk to you in a few more years and see has your opinion changed, The people i work with are great , liking the job most def not !!! and I dont think im alone on this one but then again everyone has different ideas ;);)

hahahahaha am betting your in the job about a year or two , I would love to talk to you in a few more years and see has your opinion changed, The people i work with are great , liking the job most def not !!! and I dont think im alone on this one but then again everyone has different ideas ;);)

10+ done at this stage, over 7 of those in the mothership. I wouldn't say I do cartwheels in the gate in the morning but I don't hate the job. The warder is a strange animal, he is convinced that everyone has it better than him. The lad in the kitchen/gym/office has it better, the guards have it better, firemen, binmen everyone has it better than the poor auld warder.
    The job has numerous, numerous faults with management being the main one but it is better than 90% of the dung I've done. As the old boys say "the job's been good to me"

10+ done at this stage, over 7 of those in the mothership. I wouldn't say I do cartwheels in the gate in the morning but I don't hate the job. The warder is a strange animal, he is convinced that everyone has it better than him. The lad in the kitchen/gym/office has it better, the guards have it better, firemen, binmen everyone has it better than the poor auld warder.
    The job has numerous, numerous faults with management being the main one but it is better than 90% of the dung I've done. As the old boys say "the job's been good to me"
    I got it wrong so it must be just me so lol !! I most def dont like my job but then again thats just me!! I heard many a jailer moan about the job and how lousy it was and how their lads would never end up a warder it and then see their kids now in the job now it makes me laugh!! yes you right too about management that is a huge factor in most cases !!all in all the JOB has afforded me a good life in the past not the same now unfortunatly maybe thats a factor in the dislike of the it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

But you have a piece of paper! What could possibly go wrong?

Ever think of applying for the Police ? In a different country ??You should. You'd be good at that. I'd hate to inflict you on our colleagues in the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

480905 wrote: »
    Ever think of applying for the Police ? In a different country ??You should. You'd be good at that. I'd hate to inflict you on our colleagues in the Gardai.

You'd hate to inflict me on someone?
    That's rich coming from Mr.Moan-alot.

Anyway, I'm too busy laughing and joking with prisoners, sharing life stories etc...

You'd hate to inflict me on someone?

Anyway, I'm too busy laughing and joking with prisoners, sharing life stories etc...
    sharing life stories with prisoners is that what they tell you do in training now lol Did you give them the name of your local too so ye can reconnect on the outside when they are all rehabilitated lol !!!!!

sharing life stories with prisoners is that what they tell you do in training now lol Did you give them the name of your local too so ye can reconnect on the outside when they are all rehabilitated lol !!!!!
    OOPS think i read that wrong senior am thinking in hind sight that was sarcasm your last post at least i hope it was ;);););)

T'was indeed Cordey, ofcourse I'm not engaging the prisoners in that manner.
    Nothing but pyure professionalism on my part.

T'was indeed Cordey, ofcourse I'm not engaging the prisoners in that manner.
    Nothing but pyure professionalism on my part.
    had to think back on your previous opinions a ll similar to mine to quickley realise i got it wrong lol :D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No personal remarks.
    First and only warning.

EDIT: This applies to everyone, and not just to this poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

Have all us hopeful future recruits given up hope on any movement towards recruitment or has anybody heard anything even rumours would be good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

somehope11 wrote: »
    Have all us hopeful future recruits given up hope on any movement towards recruitment or has anybody heard anything even rumours would be good at the moment.

I've pretty much given up hope to be honest. You get no info when you ring HR. If it happens well and good but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Life's too short

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

I've pretty much given up hope to be honest. You get no info when you ring HR. If it happens well and good but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Life's too short

ye same here i think after the second year waiting i kind of gave up hope. HR is a joke have rang them about 10 times over the last 7 weeks and they haven a clue whats going on. I realy can't see it happening this year.Like sodbuster said life is to short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 touareg

if you havent heard anything by September it will not be until next year...

touareg wrote: »
    if you havent heard anything by September it will not be until next year...

Dunno about that. My group started in January, after doing the other stages in autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Dunno about that. My group started in January, after doing the other stages in autumn.

Ah, now it all makes sense!

wexfjord wrote: »
    Ah, now it all makes sense!
    Was it ever unclear?

HAS anyone seen the report in the papers today that says our esteemed justice minister is thinking of allowing LONG TERM prisoners released early ??? This is his answer to not employing staff !!Allow obviously dangerous criminals back into society early !!!Again the criminal is rewarded !!!

HAS anyone seen the report in the papers today that says our esteemed justice minister is thinking of allowing LONG TERM prisoners released early ??? This is his answer to not employing staff !!Allow obviously dangerous criminals back into society early !!!Again the criminal is rewarded !!!

I see what your saying but I would think it's the best solution to OUR problem. They are not going to recruit any significant amount of officers anytime soon and our wages have been slashed to bits, it's time all the people who have been shouting about public sector cuts now see what the effects are.
    Dangerous career criminals released early, less Gardai on streets, bigger class sizes, A+E closures. It's good funking enough for them.
    Why should we care that they let the scum out early, it will make it safer for us. I applaud the idea to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

I see what your saying but I would think it's the best solution to OUR problem. They are not going to recruit any significant amount of officers anytime soon and our wages have been slashed to bits, it's time all the people who have been shouting about public sector cuts now see what the effects are.
    Dangerous career criminals released early, less Gardai on streets, bigger class sizes, A+E closures. It's good funking enough for them.
    Why should we care that they let the scum out early, it will make it safer for us. I applaud the idea to be honest.

Thats a great way to look at things **** everyone its there fault

Advertisement