Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

R.I.P. Deidre Duggan

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Sorry for my ignorance, but are these cancer or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Not a good couple of weeks for the wardens. Another good one gone. Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

when was the last recruitment? interviews and that? i missed out on interviews through there mistake with my address it was just before xmas 2010 i think and they said id be up for next recruitment after that & i havnt heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

lakes1985 wrote: »
    when was the last recruitment? interviews and that? i missed out on interviews through there mistake with my address it was just before xmas 2010 i think and they said id be up for next recruitment after that & i havnt heard anything yet?

IIRC the last 'interviews and that' were done in 2008. They had enough succesful applicants from then (thousands maybe) to slowly pick from and drip feed into service over the past 3-4 years.
    They may still have many from that recruitment drive though these 'panels', as they are kown are supposed to expire after three years.
    Though it is widely believed that the minister may keep the current 'panel' since it would be cheaper then starting up a new one...what with the economic climate and all that.

But, nobody here, nobody in the prisons and nobody in the prison service management will be able to give you a straight answer. If the DoJ makes a decision one way or the other, it will be on very short notice, and then all the relevant parties will be informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

are we at the annual standstill again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Near_cavan

I rang a few weeks back as I had the opportunity to go abroad for a few months. Was told to go on ahead as there'll be nothing happening with the physical until at least autum/winter. So no rush then.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    are we at the annual standstill again ?

Annual leave maybe

Near_cavan wrote: »
    I rang a few weeks back as I had the opportunity to go abroad for a few months. Was told to go on ahead as there'll be nothing happening with the physical until at least autum/winter. So no rush then.

ah not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

all very quiet out there is there contentment in the camp or just Depression ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ned12

Near_cavan wrote: »

I heard that it could be a very long time before there is another class. especially since they are recruiting over 100 of the new grade prison admin. and support staff so that should provide enough staff for the service for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Only thinking aloud here but it might be even longer before a new intake of staff if PSEC was privatised (only sayin)!!!

cordub wrote: »
    Didn't ya hear? The PASO thread is where it's all at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

WHERE????????????/

cordub wrote: »
    Ya but thats a different thread really. They will tell us to keep our noses out.
    All the P.O.s don't post anymore because they are fed up and couldn't give a crap anymore i would say.
    There was a good article in the sunday world today written by a guard. He left the service after 5 years because of all the ****e. If i closed my eyes you would swear it was me writing it! **** you alan shatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

Heard a rumour in work that IPS were going to take on staff soon, due to shortages and also the new wing in the Midlands needs to be staffed. I don't think the Dublin jails can afford to let staff go without getting replacements

Heard a rumour in work that IPS were going to take on staff soon, due to shortages and also the new wing in the Midlands needs to be staffed. I don't think the Dublin jails can afford to let staff go without getting replacements

Rumor is the most important part of that.
    Even IPS don't know whether or not they're taking on staff until the Dept of Finance gives them the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

There's plenty of those PASO people have set out their stall already. They are office staff and nothing else..... Jesus I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall when one of them says to < Mod SNIP >" I'm office staff, you can't make me do that".......
    It seems like they are being offered their prison of choice right from the start... interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ned12

looks like there will be very little if any recruitment from the RPO panel now that they are going to start training the PASO s soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BlondieWee

micki1983 wrote: »
    To those thinking about applying, the job can be serious craic most days. I am currently going through a serious personal problem and the officers (who I dared to tell) made me laugh about it even though I shouldn't but I needed the slagging to help me deal with it! The craic in the jail has got me through this weekend so far and will tomorrow. it's just no harm for possible new recruits to know what they are getting into.
    Happy xmas everyone :D

hi do ya know when recruitment is starting for new prison officers i was told it would be September/October 2012 but i heard different stories too and im getting impatient now ha!

Nobody would even like to guess. Until the POA are finished fcuking up their colleagues there wont be much movement on the recruitment side.

well with talk of the croke park agreement being revisited by minister for health god only knows what brainwave the minister for justice will try , i know as a health worker if my sunday premiums go i'm joining the queue for the social welfare :mad::(

cavan4sam wrote: »
    well with talk of the croke park agreement being revisited by minister for health god only knows what brainwave the minister for justice will try , i know as a health worker if my sunday premiums go i'm joining the queue for the social welfare :mad::(

Mate, they are doing what Brussels tells them. They don't give a fcuk about you, me OR our Sunday allowance, they will turn it into a weekend payment i.e miss a day -you don't get paid the allowance, thats if they don't take it away altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

many of the lower paid absolutely depend on Sunday pay - take that away and many will find themselves better off on the dole !

I'm sure they'll be very selective about who's allowances they take.

**** sake. We will be better off on the dole. Will see tomorrow what happens...
    That muppet lonergan is on rte at 9.35pm tomorrow night. Prob best off not to watch it. You will end up throwing your shoe at the telly and not have enough money to buy a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Now , now don't be saying unpleasant things about ' Saint ' John :D

Worked under him for years. Never liked his methods. Others did. Some don't like the present regimes' methods , others do. It depends on which way the wind blows and who is calling the shots at the top table.

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    Now , now don't be saying unpleasant things about ' Saint ' John :D
    look at him there on his pulpit. ha. i have personal reasons why i don't like him but there ya go....

Advertisement