Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

pada1981 wrote: »
    take a look in the mirror??? dont want to get into this, please talk about the job and not people on boards.ie

Chill out bud, was just winding you up... that's how it goes isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

dark humour wha?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In other news...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0321/allowances.html

I wonder will they take it from everybody or just target new recruits.

In other news...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0321/allowances.html

I wonder will they take it from everybody or just target new recruits.

I think it'll be percentage reductions over the next few years (10%, 5%, 5% etc.) with the elimination of certain allowances completely.
    Really can't see (fingers crossed) them eliminating the likes of Rent Allowance in one fell swoop.
    Would amount to huge pay-cut in everything but name and would almost certainly result in industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

rogieop wrote: »
    dark humour wha?!

bleedin jailers wha???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Would amount to huge pay-cut in everything but name and would almost certainly result in industrial action.

I wonder if they even realise how important and dependant some staff are on the allowances. That taking them could incur industrial action. Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

The union will not go down the road of a strike because if you go on strike the your terms of employment can be changed while you are on strike, and you will come back to work under different conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

The union will not go down the road of a strike because if you go on strike the your terms of employment can be changed while you are on strike, and you will come back to work under different conditions.
    I think you are incorrect about this

I'm not so sure this is correct either, although i must admit i'm no employment law expert.

It doesn't make sense they would do so in a legitimate industrial action, otherwise why dont employers do it every time there is a strike?

If that were the case employers would surely "encourage" workers to strike as they could completely alter their conditions in the employer's favour while they were out?

Even if it were the case, would the strike not just continue until the new conditions were reversed?

And if it were the case, then maybe it might work in a manufacturing industry where the employer could just pack up and open somewhere else, but not in an essential front-line service. The strike would simply continue, with guards and army running the jail on 24/7 overtime rates (plus allowances!).
    There would also be uproar among the prisoner population, locked up for longer periods with seriously curtailed access to shop, phones & visits. So it would only be in the management's interest to have the officers return to work as quickly and with as less hassle as possible, not to wind them up further.

Doesn't make sense...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I'm not so sure this is correct either, although i must admit i'm no employment law expert.

It doesn't make sense they would do so in a legitimate industrial action, otherwise why dont employers do it every time there is a strike?

If that were the case employers would surely "encourage" workers to strike as they could completely alter their conditions in the employer's favour while they were out?

Even if it were the case, would the strike not just continue until the new conditions were reversed?

And if it were the case, then maybe it might work in a manufacturing industry where the employer could just pack up and open somewhere else, but not in an essential front-line service. The strike would simply continue, with guards and army running the jail on 24/7 overtime rates (plus allowances!).
    There would also be uproar among the prisoner population, locked up for longer periods with seriously curtailed access to shop, phones & visits. So it would only be in the management's interest to have the officers return to work as quickly and with as less hassle as possible, not to wind them up further.

Doesn't make sense...

I have to disagree with you there. If you ask any of the lads who where around in '88 they will tell you that when they returned they returned under the governments terms. We lost the strike in 1988. As regards the cost of the Gardai and army replacing us, it would be minimal. They would flood every jail with soldiers, put in 20 guards and 2 sergeants at most. The army would not be paid extra for the prison duty and they would use due on guards if possible. They would give the lags everything they wanted same as they did in '88. The majority of chiefs and all governors would scab, same as '88. The public wouldn't give a **** about us being locked out and we would go back with our tails between our legs on vastly inferior terms.

The Gardai would also spend the next 6 months sending postcards from various exotic locations thanking the warders for the OT which paid for the holiday, same as '88.

Sometimes the warder has this view that people actually care about prisons or prisoners. The only people who care about lags are their families and these are not the kind of people who have any influence over the media or government by and large. The general public only care about prisons when some clown in IPS transfers a convicted Garda killer to Loughlin House and he walks out the gate.

• Advertisement

Many good points there RawHead, i wasn't around in '88 so can't comment but bow to your superior knowledge on the subject and what you said makes sense.

I am under no illusions as to the public's attitudes towards us. The chances of a strike being sucessful would certainly be minimal but we just cant keep taking these hits.
    They are absolutely going to rape us as soon as the Croke Park Agreement comes to an end in 2014, not to mention anything they will implement in the mean-time.

Allowances are an obvious choice;

i) due to the cost savings which could be made,

ii) easily sold to the public since they are ignorant of the details and certain "ridiculous" allowances detract from the larger issue, &

iii) they are effectively pay-cuts without breaching the CPA

At some stage you just have to stand up for yourself, whatever the consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I wasn't around in '88 myself but I know the story of what happened. I agree that we have to shout stop at some point and I guess the allowances could be that point. There is no doubt that management now take the view that we are down and that they are driving in the boot. The last few harassment letters from HR clearly prove that.

I just feel that if we are going to take them on then we need to do it as a united front. There is no doubt that the 24/7 alliance scared the government. You might be able run the jails with soldiers and mules but you cannot run all the hospitals, fire stations and everything else. If they tackle the allowances hopefully it will remobilise the alliance and then we have a genuine chance of winning the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

everyone waiting on interview results they hope to send them out next week there was some sort of delay with them.

Best of luck to anyone waiting on interview results. But remember its never too late to back out, dont do it!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

mufc2011 wrote: »
    everyone waiting on interview results they hope to send them out next week there was some sort of delay with them.

The results were probably on a laptop which was stolen and covered up and all results were pulled out of a hat. Same recruitment process as previous campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Cheers,
    Did you ring them?

brigal wrote: »
    Cheers,
    Did you ring them?
    emailed them they said they hope to have them issued next week..youd wonder is it the hastle worth it

If you are going out on strike it is most likely the Dept. is trying to change your terms of work, and WHEN you return it is likely to be on their terms, like in 88

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

If you are going out on strike it is most likely the Dept. is trying to change your terms of work, and WHEN you return it is likely to be on their terms, like in 88

That's not what you said above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

anyone get any post yet ????

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    nothing you?there hopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

cavan4sam wrote: »
    nothing you?there hopeless
    Lads gets used to it! That's the way the public sector operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Lads gets used to it! That's the way the public sector operate.

not so sure bout that i work in the public sector and i remember the recruitment process being a lot more straight forward but maybe that was at local level

This waiting is getting fairly boring

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

brigal wrote: »
    This waiting is getting fairly boring

The only time you don't have to wait for a letter in the Prison Service ,is when you've done something wrong, or they're writing to you about sick leave or they're taking increments off you or issuing you with a code of discipline.... They hit you with those all too quickly. . So if you're waiting for good news... you'll be waiting. Don't think there's going to be a class this year though.

Emails are in, got mine just now, good news

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Near_cavan

Got my email too. Very good news. Anyone have any idea on when the physical might be? I got ranked fairly high. Fairly happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rathdaler

Anyone have an idea how many were interviewed or how many are recruited per training class?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Rathdaler wrote: »
    I was ranked **. Anyone have an idea how many were interviewed or how many are recruited per training class?

As far as i know there's about 20 in a class - usually they train 2 classes at a time ie.40

• Advertisement

do they re-rank after physical?

Advertisement