Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

somehope11 wrote: »
    They told us it would be 3 to 4 weeks before we would hear anything.

Ah!! Cool, they didn't tell us that, cheers.

Anybody get any news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

nothing yet thank god

cavan4sam wrote: »
    nothing yet thank god

Why thank god? Have the "unfortunately" letters started circulating already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

dont know but i'd say one will have my name on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

Hi,
    I read in the Herald the other day that new uniform prison positions are being advertised. i think it incorporates administration along with being back up officer. Could be a good option to people looking to get into the system. Not sure of wages or anything like that and not sure how to apply>

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Yeboah wrote: »
    Hi,
    I read in the Herald the other day that new uniform prison positions are being advertised. i think it incorporates administration along with being back up officer. Could be a good option to people looking to get into the system. Not sure of wages or anything like that and not sure how to apply>

Those positions are only open to existing civil servants

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

****e, i might have got a friend of mines hope for noting..prob part of the redeployment scheme in the civil service..would be decent job id say though...pity

Still no news anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

id say it will be around 8/9 months to a year after your interview before you get 2 a medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

pada1981 wrote: »
    id say it will be around 8/9 months to a year after your interview before you get 2 a medical
    Bleedin jailer wha?

The results of the interviews should come out fairly quick though, shouldnt take more than a month after they finish.

There is no harm ringing the public appointments service to find out whats happening, just dont haunt them

The results of the interviews should come out fairly quick though, shouldnt take more than a month after they finish.

There is no harm ringing the public appointments service to find out whats happening, just dont haunt them

When did they finish, how many weeks of interviews did they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

brigal wrote: »
    When did they finish, how many weeks of interviews did they do?
    they finished around 25th of feb thought wed have results by now

Bleedin jailer wha?
    boom!!!! jailer banter wha!!!!

mufc2011 wrote: »
    they finished around 25th of feb thought wed have results by now

Thought that alright, waiting is a balls, not knowing us driving me mental

Thought that alright, waiting is a balls, not knowing us driving me mental
    yea i no cause ya wouldnt no they could take a class in summer or something hopefully were not waitng 8 or 9 months.mite ring them monday if i hear nothing

yea i no cause ya wouldnt no they could take a class in summer or something hopefully were not waitng 8 or 9 months.mite ring them monday if i hear nothing

Yeah, I as thinking the same myself, how obliging will they be I wonder, they'd never leave us in limbo would they?

Yeah, I as thinking the same myself, how obliging will they be I wonder, they'd never leave us in limbo would they?
    If you ring them and ask for Valerie she's very nice and helpfull she's in charge of the prison service at public jobs Im sure she'd tell you your result if there available

Yeah, I as thinking the same myself, how obliging will they be I wonder, they'd never leave us in limbo would they?[

they will leave you in limbo, sorry to say that but its true, its a weird situation, u would think its more organised and better done but dont be surprised that in a years time after your medical and hearing test that you get a ramdon phonecall on a friday asking you to go to portlaosie on a monday to start training
    best of luck to everyone that went for it, hopefully youll get some news soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah, I as thinking the same myself, how obliging will they be I wonder, they'd never leave us in limbo would they?[

they will leave you in limbo, sorry to say that but its true, its a weird situation, u would think its more organised and better done but dont be surprised that in a years time after your medical and hearing test that you get a random phonecall on a friday asking you to go to portlaosie on a monday to start training
    best of luck to everyone that went for it, hopefully youll get some news soon

This is exactly what happened to me. Very out of the blue. Luckily I had informed my employers of my intentions a long time before this. Just be ready to up sticks at a moments notice which, as pada said, should be more organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Dont know if people are aware medical and audiogram only last for 6 months. So if you get called for them you will not have long to wait

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is exactly what happened to me. Very out of the blue. Luckily I had informed my employers of my intentions a long time before this. Just be ready to up sticks at a moments notice which, as pada said, should be more organised.

Not everyone has the luxury of upping sticks at a moments notice, why would they interview without a schedule to complete the process, keeping me chasing that carrot I suppose

Not everyone has the luxury of upping sticks at a moments notice, why would they interview without a schedule to complete the process, keeping me chasing that carrot I suppose

to be fair i think that its the minister for justice who has the say, and he is waiting for finance, so when it comes along everything moves very fast. id say that they just get people ready to go and when they get the shout the ips get in touch straight away.
    when i got the shout i got 10 days notice and my old boss was not happy at all but what can you do?
    im just saying ive been through this process and its very frustrating and all the waiting around is stressful but its worth it if you get that call.
    the best thing to do would be to get yourself to your local park and bring 2 cones or markers and put them 15 meters apart and do your 40 shuttles in 3min 30sec because you never know they could fast track a class through and you should be prepared for the running part of the physical. the amount of the people that failed the 40 shuttle run was amazing and to be honest they just didnt prepare at all for it. imagine getting that far and all that waiting and failing because you didnt prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

to be fair i think that its the minister for justice who has the say, and he is waiting for finance, so when it comes along everything moves very fast. id say that they just get people ready to go and when they get the shout the ips get in touch straight away.
    when i got the shout i got 10 days notice and my old boss was not happy at all but what can you do?
    im just saying ive been through this process and its very frustrating and all the waiting around is stressful but its worth it if you get that call.
    the best thing to do would be to get yourself to your local park and bring 2 cones or markers and put them 15 meters apart and do your 40 shuttles in 3min 30sec because you never know they could fast track a class through and you should be prepared for the running part of the physical. the amount of the people that failed the 40 shuttle run was amazing and to be honest they just didnt prepare at all for it. imagine getting that far and all that waiting and failing because you didnt prepare.

You've seriously changed your tune since you joined the job...I remember No-one could offer you any form of advice but you were taking the hump with them about it...It's mad what a bit of jail can do to a person!

LoanShark wrote: »
    You've seriously changed your tune since you joined the job...I remember No-one could offer you any form of advice but you were taking the hump with them about it...It's mad what a bit of jail can do to a person!

i was just winding people up back then, just trying to help people out with what really happens in this process because its an absolute disaster the way its done

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

i was just winding people up back then...

Sure you were :rolleyes:

You were personally attacking people who were offering advice based on years of personal experience because you thought you knew best.

However, credit where its due, fair play for changing your attitude, it needed changing, but you could at least be man enough to admit it...

Spoke to a mate who was in Beladd yesterday. The Director General was giving them a talk.

He was asked about recruitment and he said that 120 were interviewed in the hope they would get clearance for classes to go into training. He then said that he thought it would be a miracle if they get a class this year.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thought people should know what's being said

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

It's probably going to take a major incident in one of the jails for the cries for more staff to be heard. Either that or releasing half the prison population as has been suggested lately. Be safe

• Advertisement

Sure you were :rolleyes:

You were personally attacking people who were offering advice based on years of personal experience because you thought you knew best.

However, credit where its due, fair play for changing your attitude, it needed changing, but you could at least be man enough to admit it...

take a look in the mirror??? dont want to get into this, please talk about the job and not people on boards.ie

Advertisement