Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fáilte Towers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

probably better to have them named so people are aware they exist, i personally didn't know half of the charities on the show did exist. thanks to rte and the "celebs", now i do. surely that awareness can only be a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

rte are using the charities to keep the show popular. they could name all of them, and give them money equally, and cut out the need for canvasing by the charities. or assigning them a celeb. its just a way for them to drum up viewers and get a cheap rent a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

true but at least they are helping charities, even if you don't think it's the best possible way they could be. like i said, thanks to rte now, i'm aware of several charities i did not know existed. and regardless how much money they earned, they got more than the would have if they hadn't engaged in Failte towers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Who the hell is Derry Clarke anyway? I know he is yourman that Don Baker got stuck in but what did he do before now that he deserves to be called a celeb?

He's not a celebrity at all to be honest. But then I guess I don't really buy into that term anyway. I am however a bit of a foodie so I happened to know that he owns one of Ireland's Michelin starred restaurants, L'Ecrivain on Baggot street.

And yeah it would be a fair sized spit needed to roast his smug bulk on lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 squiggles

What happened between Don and Derry last night that they had a falling out??

• Advertisement

one of them called the others charity fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm sure the charities are getting a flat donation as well as the money raised by the phone/text votes.

still shouldnt be competing for any money IMO. its tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

What a set up with the beer kegs being stolen.

I did not like that one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Enii wrote: »
    What a set up with the beer kegs being stolen.

I did not like that one bit.

Ha my mother spent 5 minutes going on about how stupid the guy was for robbing them with a camera on him. My mother is clearly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I have to say this is car crash television however its hard not to see that RTE have improved - and dare I say im rather getting into this - even with the setups. Best reality show RTE has ever done IMO. It would not be an RTE show though without the inevitable cock up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What a crock of sh1te, biggest RTE disaster ever, what a pack of reject Z List celebs and nobodies, look at the rent-a-crowd outside and inside, my god what a lame show, Big Brother is bad but this show takes the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

And yet you still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mosiew

Steyr wrote: »
    What a crock of sh1te, biggest RTE disaster ever, what a pack of reject Z List celebs and nobodies, look at the rent-a-crowd outside and inside, my god what a lame show, Big Brother is bad but this show takes the cake.

the 'rent-a-crowd' are people representing their charities. they are making the effort to get up there and do something while you sit at ur computer desk critising(sp!). so in fairness, how dare you name-call them..........

mosiew wrote: »
    the 'rent-a-crowd' are people representing their charities. they are making the effort to get up there and do something while you sit at ur computer desk critising(sp!). so in fairness, how dare you name-call them..........
    RTE are using them. and its opinions liek this lets them get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ostrea

Letting RTE use people ??... Please .. critics on here... get over yourselves .. there is an element of "oooh I wouldnt watch that crap... i am above that sh*te ..." stick to facts rather than preconceived notions
    Arrogance speaks volumes about your attitude, and in this case it is very telling.

These charities are genuine and rely on whatever means to raise money and also benefit by the advertising ....
    Across the country, there are lots of people who just enjoy the show... fair play to them if they chose to watch it...
    Facts: see this quote from RTE

"the top-rating show, which was watched by almost half a million people on Wednesday night. A peak of 450,000 tuned in to Fáilte Towers, with a show average of 437,000 and an average share of 33% making it the third most-watched show across all channels in Ireland that night"

I think these numbers would tend to vindicate the show, nearly half a million people chose to watch it ... not bad on a summer mid week day. Personally i think it is a light entertaining format, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It is non pretensious and it works (so says the people).

i gladly watch BB, and even celeb bb and its z list celebs. The charities could all be advertised, all be given plenty of airtime, but shouldnt have to be linked to one celeb and compete. this is the part i have a problem with. they can still get lots of money and advertising, but shouldnt have to compete against each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lilab

zuroph wrote: »
    i gladly watch BB, and even celeb bb and its z list celebs. The charities could all be advertised, all be given plenty of airtime, but shouldnt have to be linked to one celeb and compete. this is the part i have a problem with. they can still get lots of money and advertising, but shouldnt have to compete against each other.

Like it or Hate it everyone of the people there are working for a Charity and are doing their best, I personally have travelled to Romania earlier this year and saw the orphanages and the lack of dignity, love and respect every human person deserves, 6 children have now been given the gift of Independant Living for the rest of their lives that alone is worth it!!!! and I am sure the monies raised by all the contestants will have similar consequences. Some of the Contestants have picked a Charity to do the show and then some have done the show because of the Charity, do your research, Don donated his last DVD to the Charity and his previous one in the 90's so he has a very long association with this particular Charity. Go on The Don to win!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

99% of posters to this forum have already slated 'failte towers' for many reasons, from the set-ups to the crap acting & not least because its a lame duck production (when compared to all other reality TV shows)!

It really is poor ~ by any standards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I still like it, for me its much better then this years bb.
    Yes they could improve it, show more of whats going on in the hotel and cut down on the presenters time but I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ArthurF wrote: »
    99% of posters to this forum have already slated 'failte towers' for many reasons....
    Yet over 200 posts on this thread show that people ARE watching it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I certainly am not watching. I will admit to watching the first 5 mins of the first one. I had to reformat my sky+ after that. I still think that traces are still there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

I dont think its awful. In fact the worst thing about it is the presenter Baz. Can we vote him off? As a concept, its not the worst thing Ive seen. The celebrities are made to work which is good. It is funny to see how Brian Dowling is the grizzled veteran of these shows and knows exactly how to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

magnumlady wrote: »
    I still like it, ..Yes they could improve it, show more of whats going on in the hotel and cut down on the presenters time but I'm enjoying it.

Hear hear, I think it's a great laugh. It had some issues but it's improved and fixed them. Even that muppet Baz is becoming tolerable. Last night Don was hilarious in his naivety, Joe is a right clown, all in all, cynicism aside, it's a hoot. Every night there's a couple of laugh out loud moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nextyear

I agree! I am loving it!!!! Creedo to win!!!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Baz is the only good thing about it. Last night "I hope Evelyn is gone home to sort out the weather"

Ha ha LOL :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

amdublin wrote: »
    Baz is the only good thing about it. Last night "I hope Evelyn is gone home to sort out the weather"

Ha ha LOL :-)

He must have got that one out of a Christmas cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

Jesus lads is anybody watching it now? Sean and Michelle look absolutely knackered unlike Don......

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mosiew

cant believe the judges kept jennifer in AGAIN.... for the fifth time. does this reek of 'fix' or what. sean's first time in the room and they pick HER over him. obviously, they are not concerned about what the public want. oh silly me........of course they dont give a s**t. that was so unfair to sean tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I watched in full for the first time this evening. I'm still not right :eek:

You're right about Jennifer. The judges clearly have been told to keep her in the show right up til the end. When it comes to the final vote, will they have any say in it or will the final decision rest with Joe Public? Though knowing the way some of these public vote things have gone wrong in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if she won it outright.

I'm still scratching my head over that row that was on near the start. WFT was it all about?

Advertisement