Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

Anyone heard Gift Grubs impression of Cass? Its hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Cass and Malachy's feuding is comical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

What happened with Lara?

I see she was mentioned tonight that she had a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

gogglebok wrote: »
    I was catching up on a few episodes today, and I think I might have figured out what's going on. Fair City is trying to match the appeal of all the British soaps, so that there is one story in every episode like Eastenders, one like Corrie, and one like Emmerdale.

The story about Brendan is classic Eastenders style. Murder, incest, euthanasia - lots of "issues", and lots of opportunity for actors to pull faces and slap each other. Heather is one breath away from "LEAVE IT AAAHT, DEEGAN!"

The Dowling family are the Corrie strand. Dean's conversations with Robert, and Troy selling the record, are typical Coronation Street. There's not much happening, but it's fun to watch, and it relies a lot on the likeability of characters like Dean and Leo. Someone like Robert would be unthinkable in Eastenders, but he would fit right in with Norris and Roy and the more eccentric Weatherfield crowd.

That brings us to Cass. Someone mentioned that he is like Shadrach in Emmerdale, and I think they're right. He looks like him, he has the same mooching style, and he lives slightly outside the normal world of the settled characters. He's larger than life in the Emmerdale style - all that chat about fighting Mohammed Ali, and riding camels with Osama Bin Laden, etc. Then you have all the scenes where he causes trouble with Malachy in the pub. It's very reminiscent of the Dingles in the Woolpack.

It falls down on the fact that Cass just isn't likeable enough. If he keeps shaking things up with the duller characters, that might change. As Epicurus said, smacking Malachy is a public service. A few biffs at Brendan and we might give him a medal.

Anyway, that's my theory. Fair City is taking on all three of the English soaps. It's a clever strategy to steal their viewers, and I'll be really interested to see if it works.

Anyone else off sick and hallucinating from hay fever meds agree?

I must start taking this hay fever med you speak of to get an insight like that ;). You've definitely got something there. Getting back into the swing of FC again and really love the Robert/Dean/Cleo angle. Robert is bloody brilliant, he's the toblerone of FC.

Agree with Malachy getting the slap, that was coming a long long time. But please, poor Brendan? I love Brendan, he's not exactly leading character material but is a good strong solid secondary like Delores (sp?), Paul, Keith and I can't believe I'm saying this, Ray. Let Cass go after Suzanne and Malachy all he wants but I think that Robert is after biffing Brendan plenty in the last week. Watching Cass last night with the arm-wrestling scene, I really had to laugh. Malachy never saw it coming. :D I just can't understand why he didn't grab that nasty red necktie and twist it until Cass's head popped off.

But watching FC solely for the awkward Robert/Cleo scenes at the moment, everything after that is just gravy.

The acting is on the way up too. I'm really impressed with Robert. He even walks in character, as if he's only learned to do it fairly recently. He makes a strange character really believable.

:D

• Advertisement

JaneyP wrote: »
    Anyone heard Gift Grubs impression of Cass? Its hilarious!

The last Gift Grub FC podcast I heard was the Bob*sigh*/Torlough*sigh and Una threehander which was a scream. I hope today fm put another FC one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Hardrain wrote: »
    Cass and Malachy's feuding is comical

Remember Malachy on RTE's jigs and reels. His head bobbing all over the shop :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

JP Liz wrote: »
    What happened with Lara?

I see she was mentioned tonight that she had a baby

as far as i remember she got pregnant after terence raped her, and she ran away form carrickstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

Eyespy wrote: »
    But please, poor Brendan? I love Brendan, he's not exactly leading character material but is a good strong solid secondary like Delores (sp?), Paul, Keith and I can't believe I'm saying this, Ray.

But watching FC solely for the awkward Robert/Cleo scenes at the moment, everything after that is just gravy.

Would you consider Paul a Secondry Character? I would say hes one of the prominant characters. Hes always in big storylines.
    Leo is "Mr Fair City" though! LOL!!:D:D:D He Rocks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

does leo remind anyone else of jake stevens from naked camera??

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    does leo remind anyone else of jake stevens from naked camera??

He sounds exactly like him! Leo came before Jake Stevens though! So we know our Leo is 100% original!!!! LOL!!!:D:D:D

I have to say, Fair City is demolishing the Brit soaps at the moment! I watched Eastenders tonight. Sooo Sooo Dull!!

LOL! i just watched last nights online LOL @ the line Malachy re. the armwrestle "I wouldnt lower meself" Cass : "You wooould!! Come on!!"

MaryCat! wrote: »
    Would you consider Paul a Secondry Character? I would say hes one of the prominant characters. Hes always in big storylines.

I do, I wish I didn't because I love Paul but I think that the last big storyline he had for himself was the health scare/ red herring kill off Mike story. I know that he's had one or two since then but I felt that the storylines he's being involved in tended to centre on Niamh's character particularly since Gina's death with his character supporting. It's really only since he got shafted in the garage (again) that the story seems to be focusing in on him again.

Just listened to gift grub a few minutes ago, very good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

It falls down on the fact that Cass just isn't likeable enough. If he keeps shaking things up with the duller characters, that might change. As Epicurus said, smacking Malachy is a public service. A few biffs at Brendan and we might give him a medal.

I did indeed, was a pity Sarah didnt lamp him one tonight. would have been interesting when he went to Garda Ian. Brendan though, I wouldnt have him hit him though, what if he retiliated? He's already up on one murder charge.
    MaryCat! wrote: »

He certainly is Mary, I was browsing the fair city wikipedia page tonight, seems like Rte dont check it too often

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_City

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

FC is okay right now, just a little boring. Robert's scenes are great - so new for FC too, and I am so glad Robert's kind of shaken off Brendan and is his own character now.

The parts with Cass are just okay; the feud isn't particularly interesting or funny :confused:

Leo and Paul in the garage has potential, but right now it's new and a bit dull with the abortion thing (suppose it's over now). Leo being a permanent fixture there will make the garage scenes much more interesting though... I liked Keith and Doug hanging around yesterday, makes the thought of garage-orientated scenes much less unbearable (when Robin was there they were painful).

Dermot and Jo's storyline seems a bit pointless... I do love Dermot and Jo but l don't see where this is going :confused: I thought the idea of them fostering somebody sounded interesting though??

It has some decent stuff going on atm, but it could do with a 'big' storyline to hold it together (I suppose most people consider the Brendan thing to be that but he's so fundamentally unlikeable it just doesn't count)... I can't believe I'm actually encouraging a soap to be so generic but really I think it could do with an impending death, accident, affair, etc. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Epicurus wrote: »
    He certainly is Mary, I was browsing the fair city wikipedia page tonight, seems like Rte dont check it too often

Bahahahaha that's brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Haha! Well spotted. I bet it's changed by Monday.

Meller wrote: »
    Dermot and Jo's storyline seems a bit pointless... I do love Dermot and Jo but l don't see where this is going :confused: I thought the idea of them fostering somebody sounded interesting though??

It might be a way of bringing in a lot of new teenage characters, like they used to do on Home and Away. I would be nervous about that. The last thing the programme needs is a load of wooden-faced tearaways who just need a little love.
    Meller wrote: »
    It has some decent stuff going on atm, but it could do with a 'big' storyline to hold it together (I suppose most people consider the Brendan thing to be that but he's so fundamentally unlikeable it just doesn't count)... I can't believe I'm actually encouraging a soap to be so generic but really I think it could do with an impending death, accident, affair, etc. :confused:

Great stuff. How about a game of Kill, Nookie or Maim? Who would you kill, who would you put into a secret affair, and who would you give a serious illness to?

KILL

I would kill either Brendan or Heather. (Sorry, Eyespy!) It's not that I hate them, but I just don't find the characters very interesting. It could also be a good story if Brendan got away with killing Floyd, but Heather shot him in the courtroom. Or he attacked her in the witness box and cracked her head open. If we're going to do melodrama, let's turn it up a notch.

NOOKIE

This is a hard one. There's not that many characters I want to see unbuttoning something. I thought there was a bit of a spark between Turlough and Niamh, but nothing came of it. Maybe that would be worth a look. I'd say Paul has some potential for violence too, when he found out.

MAIM

Leo with his arms and legs broken, ordering everyone around. Comedy gold. Would breaking Leo's hands be destroying his greatest asset, though? Like filling in Cary Grant's dimple.

Any other ideas? Should we put up a Death Poll?

Line of the night last night, by the way: "My pasta puttanesca brought tears to a work colleague's eyes." :D

JP Liz wrote: »
    Are Cass and Malachy both after Dolores?

Does anyone else wanna see Dean with Cleo instead of Orla :cool:

I missed a chunk of Fair City a while back but isn't Malachy seeing that other one who cant smile. Beth i think her name is?

Great stuff. How about a game of Kill, Nookie or Maim? Who would you kill, who would you put into a secret affair, and who would you give a serious illness to?

Right...well nookie...Dermot and Kylie. They have been very cosy together recently and have already learned the art of keeping something a secret between them. (if only for a short time) Jo's constant whittering about Disneyland will drive him over the edge into kylie's arms. Killing..when Joe finds out she'll hit the roof, fatally injuring herself.

I missed a chunk of Fair City a while back but isn't Malachy seeing that other one who cant smile. Beth i think her name is?

He was seeing Sue - I think her daughter was called Beth. She left Malachy. She couldn't take the excitement of his swinging lifestyle, being dragged in and out of the Carrigstown sauna and forced to help him choose the tights for his cross-dressing experiments.

It was a great week of story though. I'll never forget the final break-up, in a Head Shop in the St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, where she smashed a bong off one of his nipple-clamps.

He was seeing Sue - I think her daughter was called Beth. She left Malachy. She couldn't take the excitement of his swinging lifestyle, being dragged in and out of the Carrigstown sauna and forced to help him choose the tights for his cross-dressing experiments.

It was a great week of story though. I'll never forget the final break-up, in a Head Shop in the St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, where she smashed a bong off one of his nipple-clamps.

:D the images you've put into my head now...will cost a fortune to get rid off.

• Advertisement

It might be a way of bringing in a lot of new teenage characters, like they used to do on Home and Away. I would be nervous about that. The last thing the programme needs is a load of wooden-faced tearaways who just need a little love.

KILL

I would kill either Brendan or Heather. (Sorry, Eyespy!) It's not that I hate them, but I just don't find the characters very interesting. It could also be a good story if Brendan got away with killing Floyd, but Heather shot him in the courtroom. Or he attacked her in the witness box and cracked her head open. If we're going to do melodrama, let's turn it up a notch.

NOOKIE

This is a hard one. There's not that many characters I want to see unbuttoning something. I thought there was a bit of a spark between Turlough and Niamh, but nothing came of it. Maybe that would be worth a look. I'd say Paul has some potential for violence too, when he found out.

MAIM

Leo with his arms and legs broken, ordering everyone around. Comedy gold. Would breaking Leo's hands be destroying his greatest asset, though? Like filling in Cary Grant's dimple.

Any other ideas? Should we put up a Death Poll?

Line of the night last night, by the way: "My pasta puttanesca brought tears to a work colleague's eyes." :D

KILL
    I agree with you Googlebok, Brendan and Heather are boring but I do love Brendan regardless. Even the whole Floyd reprisal is boring. However with respect to killing them off, I don't think anyone in Carraigstown would care really apart from maybe Jo and Dermot. So the funeral might not be that interesting. :eek: Doesn't really bode well for the characters.

NOOKIE
    Turlough oh yes. Or Duncan possibly or Keith getting their kit off. Not sure who with but in order for it to be believable it should be unforeseen or totally illicit so the only combination I can think of would be maybe Duncan and Niamh? Followed by retaliation by Caitriona and Paul. Cradlesnatcher and Gravedigger storylines? But yes to bringing Turlough back in any form at all.

MAIM
    This is the easiest
    Niamh has to cope with stress related hair loss (or being wigged by Caitriona :D)
    Jo shrieks about the computers so loudly that a window shatters and her voicebox is pierced by glass.
    Cleo is attacked by a syringe wielding junkie who injects her face full of botox.
    Ali gets an infection in her earlobe from wearing exceptionally cheap earrings. She must then cope with not being able to wear any at all.
    Or in keeping with your own storyline, Leo is troubled by poltergeist activity in his home, acorn cabs and the garage. Fr Bertie makes a rare visit in order to send the troubled spirit into the light. The activity stops but it's only later discovered that when Leo goes to sleep at night, his hands a la Dr. Strangelove, comes alive and goes postal on the residents of Carraigstown. When Ins. Deegan discovers this as he inevitably will, hopefully with the aid of Rory "Would you recognise the suspect by his hand movements? :D" Leo ends up in jail with his most dangerous adversary attached. Enter Turlough who ends up clearing Leo's name (no idea yet how he'll do this). Presented with a deal and get out of jail free card (for the most part of him) Leo must make the monumental decision to have his hands amputated in order to leave prison. But, is this really the end of Terrance...

Big resounding YES to a Death Poll

:D the images you've put into my head now...will cost a fortune to get rid off.

Snap! LOLOL

Eyespy wrote: »
    KILL
    I agree with you Googlebok, Brendan and Heather are boring but I do love Brendan regardless. Even the whole Floyd reprisal is boring. However with respect to killing them off, I don't think anyone in Carraigstown would care really apart from maybe Jo and Dermot. So the funeral might not be that interesting. :eek: Doesn't really bode well for the characters.

I'm sure Eleanor would be a tad upset :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

From tonight's Fair City: (paraphrased)

Jo: "We've decided that we will donate 10,000 euro to the community centre. All you hear is bad news these days, so why dont we tell people about it"

Dolores: "Yeah, that's great, cos all you hear about these days is people NOT spending money".

Good lord jaysus who writes this stuff. Does Dolores think that Jo and Dermot donating the 10,000 will kick-start the economy? A donation to a community centre?

what has happened to the character of Malachy. A few months ago when he was with Carol and Christy swinging on the swings in the park, planning their bungee jumps and marathons I thought there was great scope for a comic part for him, but he seems to have evolved into this boring grumpy old man

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

what has happened to the character of Malachy. A few months ago when he was with Carol and Christy swinging on the swings in the park, planning their bungee jumps and marathons I thought there was great scope for a comic part for him, but he seems to have evolved into this boring grumpy old man

I think we're gonna see some fireworks with his storyline with Cass. Reckon we'll see him being more than just grumpy!

what has happened to the character of Malachy. A few months ago when he was with Carol and Christy swinging on the swings

:D Good save!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Get Cass out, Get Cass out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Where does Kylie live now?

Is it with Tracey or on her own?

• Advertisement

On her own I think, we never have seen her flat/house though.
    Shock horror people!!!!!........Cass is growing on me! Not literally though, that would be sooooo gross!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement