Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Oh poor Robert. That was an awful slap Heather gave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Just caught the end of Fair City, LMAO at the scene with Cleo and the new guy. What a LEP! Who is this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Eyespy wrote: »
    Just caught the end of Fair City, LMAO at the scene with Cleo and the new guy. What a LEP! Who is this guy?

Brendan's cousin, physiotherapist, has AS

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Ah, that actually might explain his, actually I don't know how to describe it, tunnel vision. I had started to watch it where he casually explained to everyone in the hungry pig that Brendan had murdered one of his clients. I mean :eek:, I sat down like a stunned mullet. Having been away from FC for a while, is it likely that Robert will stay? If he has AS, he is defintely an interesting character and I hope FC does the condition justice. It looks like Brendan and the Daly family are on the way out again. Is FC going through a roster change then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Heather mentioned that Robert has a mild form of AS a couple of nights ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 xword

Yeh i love orlaith too. nice to see a woman who isnt a nag or a viktim. doncha think? shes always entertaning!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xword

Shakyfan wrote: »
    Heather mentioned that Robert has a mild form of AS a couple of nights ago...

Whats as?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Re: Brendan. didnt Renee write a letter or email to the medical council about him when turlough was around. has that been conviently forgotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

no I think bob replaced that letter with a blank sheet of paper or did I dream that up?

ASPERGER SYNDROME

AS is a complex brain disorder and is seen as part of the Autistic Spectrum. Generally those affected by the condition have an IQ within the normal range but may have extremely poor social and communication skills. Common characteristics can be a lack of empathy, little ability to form relationships, one-sided conversations and an intense absorption with a special interest. Sometimes movements can be clumsy. However, with the proper support people with AS can lead full and productive lives.

just copied that out of the irish society for asperger syndrome website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

nellie07 wrote: »
    ASPERGER SYNDROME

Does anybody know the name of the syndrome that is being portrayed by Robert in Fair City, as it has nothing to do with Aspergers. I think Jim Carrey's character had the same affliction in Liar Liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

Is Troy gone now for ever? He wasnt really in it that long was he. I was starting to warm to him too, oh well!!:(

the scene tonight with Dolores saying, "let him that is without sin, cast the first stone" (or something like that!) was a bit cringey!

Deans smile is yum!:p

Roberts little speech tonight was so adorable! awwww

Does anybody know the name of the syndrome that is being portrayed by Robert in Fair City, as it has nothing to do with Aspergers. I think Jim Carrey's character had the same affliction in Liar Liar.

see post above yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I think I will have to switch off, can't cope with Cass any longer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

angel01 wrote: »

I just can't cope with Fair City full stop, I stopped watching it about a month ago, it was doing my head in....

angel01 wrote: »

I'm not the biggest fan of Cass either, but it was nice to see Malachy take a hit. The man had no right to stand up and tell everyone about Cass, "I'm the man to tell them" :D
    trish990 wrote: »
    I just can't cope with Fair City full stop, I stopped watching it about a month ago, it was doing my head in....

well thats obviously untrue seen as this is a fair city thread :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Bet yer man who plays Robert had to watch all the Fr.Ted episodes for his research into the role.

Is it just me or is he a mirror image of Dougal... the blank look and all that deer in the headlights stuff.

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

oh dreadful cant stand fair city was in it once fun time but other then that no i just cant even watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

On a more positive note to the thread, its the best soap ever! :D:D

• Advertisement

agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

oh dreadful cant stand fair city was in it once fun time but other then that no i just cant even watch it

Who were you? What was it like? I'd love to get walk-on or something. I could be the next Steven.

On another note, the more Cass sticks it to Malachy the more I'm going to like him. I think the character might be finally taking off.

gogglebok wrote: »
    On another note, the more Cass sticks it to Malachy the more I'm going to like him. I think the character might be finally taking off.

agreed, although you are going to disappoint a lot of people with this :D
    I think the character might be finally taking off.

I like Roberts taste in music, Archie Chen is an extraordinary talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Are Cass and Malachy both after Dolores?

Does anyone else wanna see Dean with Cleo instead of Orla :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

JP Liz wrote: »
    Are Cass and Malachy both after Dolores?

Does anyone else wanna see Dean with Cleo instead of Orla :cool:

If Dolores gets with Cass that's just not right and i am sure Cleo wouldn't be to happy and who could blame her.

Yeah at first i wanted her to be with Robert but would be much better with Dean but don't think he see's her like that.Maybe if she stops making all the strange facial expressions he will!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I actually can't stand Cass anymore! I'm contemplating not watching it until he's gone! He is wrecking my head!

joey54 wrote: »
    I actually can't stand Cass anymore! I'm contemplating not watching it until he's gone! He is wrecking my head!

I was catching up on a few episodes today, and I think I might have figured out what's going on. Fair City is trying to match the appeal of all the British soaps, so that there is one story in every episode like Eastenders, one like Corrie, and one like Emmerdale.

The story about Brendan is classic Eastenders style. Murder, incest, euthanasia - lots of "issues", and lots of opportunity for actors to pull faces and slap each other. Heather is one breath away from "LEAVE IT AAAHT, DEEGAN!"

The Dowling family are the Corrie strand. Dean's conversations with Robert, and Troy selling the record, are typical Coronation Street. There's not much happening, but it's fun to watch, and it relies a lot on the likeability of characters like Dean and Leo. Someone like Robert would be unthinkable in Eastenders, but he would fit right in with Norris and Roy and the more eccentric Weatherfield crowd.

That brings us to Cass. Someone mentioned that he is like Shadrach in Emmerdale, and I think they're right. He looks like him, he has the same mooching style, and he lives slightly outside the normal world of the settled characters. He's larger than life in the Emmerdale style - all that chat about fighting Mohammed Ali, and riding camels with Osama Bin Laden, etc. Then you have all the scenes where he causes trouble with Malachy in the pub. It's very reminiscent of the Dingles in the Woolpack.

It falls down on the fact that Cass just isn't likeable enough. If he keeps shaking things up with the duller characters, that might change. As Epicurus said, smacking Malachy is a public service. A few biffs at Brendan and we might give him a medal.

Anyway, that's my theory. Fair City is taking on all three of the English soaps. It's a clever strategy to steal their viewers, and I'll be really interested to see if it works.

Anyone else off sick and hallucinating from hay fever meds agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I was catching up on a few episodes today, and I think I might have figured out what's going on. Fair City is trying to match the appeal of all the British soaps, so that there is one story in every episode like Eastenders, one like Corrie, and one like Emmerdale.

The story about Brendan is classic Eastenders style. Murder, incest, euthanasia - lots of "issues", and lots of opportunity for actors to pull faces and slap each other. Heather is one breath away from "LEAVE IT AAAHT, DEEGAN!"

The Dowling family are the Corrie strand. Dean's conversations with Robert, and Troy selling the record, are typical Coronation Street. There's not much happening, but it's fun to watch, and it relies a lot on the likeability of characters like Dean and Leo. Someone like Robert would be unthinkable in Eastenders, but he would fit right in with Norris and Roy and the more eccentric Weatherfield crowd.

That brings us to Cass. Someone mentioned that he is like Shadrach in Emmerdale, and I think they're right. He looks like him, he has the same mooching style, and he lives slightly outside the normal world of the settled characters. He's larger than life in the Emmerdale style - all that chat about fighting Mohammed Ali, and riding camels with Osama Bin Laden, etc. Then you have all the scenes where he causes trouble with Malachy in the pub. It's very reminiscent of the Dingles in the Woolpack.

It falls down on the fact that Cass just isn't likeable enough. If he keeps shaking things up with the duller characters, that might change. As Epicurus said, smacking Malachy is a public service. A few biffs at Brendan and we might give him a medal.

Anyway, that's my theory. Fair City is taking on all three of the English soaps. It's a clever strategy to steal their viewers, and I'll be really interested to see if it works.

Good points there, I think you're on to something. I personally think over the last number of years fair city has greatly improved and has had some brilliant and exciting story lines.

I reckon something is big is going to happen with Cass alright. I think there's the possibility that his little feud with Malachy could get out of hand and someone might be seriously injured (please, please let it be Cass!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

WOW!! Now that you say it. You are actually right! I was only saying the other day to someone in work that i thought Fair City had the best balance of the 3. (I dont watch emmerdale).
    I really like Cass!! I know im alone in that, but whatever! I like his little strange speeches.

• Advertisement

joey54 wrote: »
    I personally think over the last number of years fair city has greatly improved and has had some brilliant and exciting story lines.

Yes, I have to say I've been impressed with the last few episodes. Paul versus Leo is a really interesting set-up, and I've no idea where it's going. I'm looking forward to tonight.

The scripts have definitely got wittier too. When Robert says he's having a lad's night out, Orlaith says "Are you meeting the rest of your 'crew' at the NCH?" It's not Oscar Wilde, but it's very realistic pub slagging. There seems to be a bit more of that recently. Cass had some great digs at Malachy.

The acting is on the way up too. I'm really impressed with Robert. He even walks in character, as if he's only learned to do it fairly recently. He makes a strange character really believable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement