Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

deelite wrote: »
    Just seen Renee doing a Cash for Gold ad on tv - I want her back to rescue Bob.

It would be nice but I think we would just go around in circles, her going after Christy again.

0003ad62-545.jpg

Meet the Actors: Patrick Fitzpatrick

Zumo Bishop: local thug; gang leader; devoted grandson; loving brother. The residents of Carrigstown know Zumo to be a hooligan who is not afraid to dabble in stolen property, on to intimidate an OAP; but as far as his little sister is concerned he is her hero.

Good guy or bad guy? Patrick Fitzpatrick answers your questions.

Do you enjoy playing a thug and do you get much abuse from the public?
    Yes, I do enjoy playing a thug because it's different to what I am really like. No, I don't get a lot of abuse from the public.

What preparation do you do to get into the character of Zumo?
    I study the script and the storyline carefully before I go on to set.

Your character is the toughest man in Carrigstown. But, if all the cast of Fair City were to have a fight in McCoy's, who would come out on top?
    Zumo thinks he is the toughest but if everyone was in a fight in McCoy's, I think Damien would come out on top because of all his built-up frustration.

Is it enjoyable playing the part of Zumo?
    Yes, because it is always a challenge and I never know what Zumo will do next.

Do you share any traits with Zumo?
    Just like Zumo I can be very stubborn at times and very set in my ways. We also share a family loyalty.

What are Zumo's best and worst qualities?
    Zumo's best quality is that he always puts his family first, no matter what. His worst quality is his anger; he smacks first and asks questions later.

Do you think Zumo really is the tough guy he's portrayed as or do you think there's a softer side to him?
    I think Zumo is a tough guy but when it comes to his younger sister, Charlotte, he shows compassion and his softer side comes out.

We've seen a softer side to Zumo recently with the current storyline with his sister Charlotte; would you like to see this side of him explored more?
    Yes, I would like to explore his softer side a bit more but I wouldn't like him to lose his tough guy image.

Tell us about your tattoos, from your point of view, and what they mean?
    To me family is important, and my tattoos portray the people that mean the most to me in life.

Who do you go for a pint with in the cast?
    I get along with all the cast equally, so we could all go for a pint anytime.

Who makes you laugh in the cast?
    Maclean Burke who plays Damien always has everyone laughing with his crazy jokes.

What is Tommy O'Neill like to work with?
    I enjoy working with Tommy O'Neill (Deegan). He takes his work seriously, is always there to lend a hand, and gives me great advice on any queries I have.
    Who do you enjoy working with most on Fair City?
    I enjoy working with my onscreen sister, Charlotte, the most. She makes my job easier because she is a very talented young girl.

If there was one character Zumo could have more scenes with, who would it be and why?
    I would like Zumo to have more scenes with Bob Charles. I think they have a very good onscreen relationship.
    Will we ever meet Zumo's father?
    Maybe when his father is released, he will meet him, but I don't know if Zumo would want a relationship with him.

I really enjoy the relationship between Zumo and his mother. Where would you like to see that storyline go?
    I would like Zumo's mother to stay in his life and rekindle the family bond that he missed out on.

Would you like Zumo to find a girlfriend and if so, can you describe who you would like her to be?
    Yes, I would like Zumo to find a girlfriend eventually. Zumo's girlfriend would have to be tough and be able to stand up for herself. She would also have to be clever to keep up with Zumo.

Will we see Zumo reunited with his brothers any time soon?
    Yes, I think he will be, but I don't think he'll be too happy with them because they didn't want to help Charlotte.

I think Zumo should team up with Bob, could be a great twosome, what do you think?
    Yes, I agree they do make a great twosome. The two characters bounce off each other.

If you could write one storyline for Zumo, what would it be and why?
    I would like for Zumo to confront his father about all the things he has allegedly done to his mother. I would also like Zumo to show his father he is now man of the house and there is no messing with him.

What has been your favourite Zumo scene of all time?
    My favourite scene of all time would be when Zumo attempted to shoot Mark Halpin. Zumo showed he was someone who was not to be messed with.

Thank you for questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

angel01 wrote: »

0003ad62-545.jpg

Meet the Actors: Patrick Fitzpatrick

Zumo Bishop: local thug; gang leader; devoted grandson; loving brother. The residents of Carrigstown know Zumo to be a hooligan who is not afraid to dabble in stolen property, on to intimidate an OAP; but as far as his little sister is concerned he is her hero.

Good guy or bad guy? Patrick Fitzpatrick answers your questions.

Do you enjoy playing a thug and do you get much abuse from the public?
    Yes, I do enjoy playing a thug because it's different to what I am really like. No, I don't get a lot of abuse from the public.

What preparation do you do to get into the character of Zumo?
    I study the script and the storyline carefully before I go on to set.

Your character is the toughest man in Carrigstown. But, if all the cast of Fair City were to have a fight in McCoy's, who would come out on top?
    Zumo thinks he is the toughest but if everyone was in a fight in McCoy's, I think Damien would come out on top because of all his built-up frustration.

Is it enjoyable playing the part of Zumo?
    Yes, because it is always a challenge and I never know what Zumo will do next.

Do you share any traits with Zumo?
    Just like Zumo I can be very stubborn at times and very set in my ways. We also share a family loyalty.

What are Zumo's best and worst qualities?
    Zumo's best quality is that he always puts his family first, no matter what. His worst quality is his anger; he smacks first and asks questions later.

Do you think Zumo really is the tough guy he's portrayed as or do you think there's a softer side to him?
    I think Zumo is a tough guy but when it comes to his younger sister, Charlotte, he shows compassion and his softer side comes out.

We've seen a softer side to Zumo recently with the current storyline with his sister Charlotte; would you like to see this side of him explored more?
    Yes, I would like to explore his softer side a bit more but I wouldn't like him to lose his tough guy image.

Tell us about your tattoos, from your point of view, and what they mean?
    To me family is important, and my tattoos portray the people that mean the most to me in life.

Who do you go for a pint with in the cast?
    I get along with all the cast equally, so we could all go for a pint anytime.

Who makes you laugh in the cast?
    Maclean Burke who plays Damien always has everyone laughing with his crazy jokes.

What is Tommy O'Neill like to work with?
    I enjoy working with Tommy O'Neill (Deegan). He takes his work seriously, is always there to lend a hand, and gives me great advice on any queries I have.
    Who do you enjoy working with most on Fair City?
    I enjoy working with my onscreen sister, Charlotte, the most. She makes my job easier because she is a very talented young girl.

If there was one character Zumo could have more scenes with, who would it be and why?
    I would like Zumo to have more scenes with Bob Charles. I think they have a very good onscreen relationship.
    Will we ever meet Zumo's father?
    Maybe when his father is released, he will meet him, but I don't know if Zumo would want a relationship with him.

I really enjoy the relationship between Zumo and his mother. Where would you like to see that storyline go?
    I would like Zumo's mother to stay in his life and rekindle the family bond that he missed out on.

Would you like Zumo to find a girlfriend and if so, can you describe who you would like her to be?
    Yes, I would like Zumo to find a girlfriend eventually. Zumo's girlfriend would have to be tough and be able to stand up for herself. She would also have to be clever to keep up with Zumo.

Will we see Zumo reunited with his brothers any time soon?
    Yes, I think he will be, but I don't think he'll be too happy with them because they didn't want to help Charlotte.

I think Zumo should team up with Bob, could be a great twosome, what do you think?
    Yes, I agree they do make a great twosome. The two characters bounce off each other.

If you could write one storyline for Zumo, what would it be and why?
    I would like for Zumo to confront his father about all the things he has allegedly done to his mother. I would also like Zumo to show his father he is now man of the house and there is no messing with him.

What has been your favourite Zumo scene of all time?
    My favourite scene of all time would be when Zumo attempted to shoot Mark Halpin. Zumo showed he was someone who was not to be messed with.

Thank you for questions.

Excellent interview. I really do enjoy his character on-screen. Think he's excellent. Hopefully his brothers will come back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

angel01 wrote: »
    I had the impression that Judith was living there a few days before the others joined. Bearing in mind Neasa seemed to already be in the house prior to the others arriving. :)
    They never actually made that clear, even so, still alot of work for two people or just one really as Neasa was off being "drunk" on Sunday, with a hangover Monday. I know when I moved into my house, it took me and quite afew other guys to do all the heavey lifting etc. And Dr. Judith had her surgery all day! An amazing woman!:)

rogercar wrote: »
    They never actually made that clear, even so, still alot of work for two people or just one really as Neasa was off being "drunk" on Sunday, with a hangover Monday. I know when I moved into my house, it took me and quite afew other guys to do all the heavey lifting etc. And Dr. Judith had her surgery all day! An amazing woman!:)

Superwoman indeed :D I know but soaps never think of these things, we saw a more realistic approach when Dolores moved into Heather's place, she seemed to take a while to settle in with the boxes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Surprisingly good scene there with Wayne and Damian.. And Bob good, as usual.. Bryan Murray is an excellent actor.. He's really brought the whole credibility of the show up a step by himself..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

did anyone hear that rant. 'arra shur we'll be grand, give us a kiss''

wtf? do fianna fail write the scripts for fair city?

what a load of b-o-l-l-o-x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Suzanne has put on a bit of weight lately. Suits her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Liking the interaction between Judith and Tommy, Tommy is a good addition to the town and already is turning into a McCoys regular. The interaction between the Dillon girls is boring to watch, hopefully the two younger girls get interesting stories soon instead of moping about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

paky wrote: »
    did anyone hear that rant. 'arra shur we'll be grand, give us a kiss''

wtf? do fianna fail write the scripts for fair city?

Are you joking? We have three scenes in row where -

1. A formerly successful farmer tries to distract himself from the fact that he lost his farm in the property crash and now has no job.

2. A former builder, in his new capacity and debt-collector, beats up a bankrupt businessman.

3. A former developer of Bulgarian property, currently homeless, pleads with a doctor who has had to sell her house and move into a low-rent city practice.

And you think this is a love letter to the architects of the recession? I don't want to get personal, paky, and I'm sure you have many fine qualities, but you are not watching the show that is being broadcast.

• Advertisement

Another great episode tonight. Love the chemistry with Judith & Tommy. I think there a wonderful couple and a brilliant to watch. Loved the scenes with Wayne and Damien, thought it was great and well acted by both lads. Bob's scene in the end was excellent. Love Love watching this guy and he has made other actors in this soap step up. Zumo's last word was brilliant as well. He has just evolved so much since the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

I felt sorry for Esther last night after Dearbhla accusing her of all sorts but after tonight and her exchange with Zumo; no more. Surely even Esther knows better than to listen to Zumo.

Enjoying the Dillons; especially Judith and Tommy. Really good couple. He reminds me of a nicer version of Mike Gleeson. Liked Judiths line when she said to Dearbhla that "I'll magic up another bedroom...oh sorry I can't"...Why not; if you've done it once, can do it again. I imagine they could sort out their bedroom problem though by Suzanne offering Neasa their spare room. Some extra money for them and I'm sure Mark wouldn't mind.

Poor Bob; excellent as usual. Deelite mentioned Renee coming back to rescue him; perhaps Emer could come back and do something as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Gibson101 wrote: »
    Another great episode tonight. Love the chemistry with Judith & Tommy. I think there a wonderful couple and a brilliant to watch. Loved the scenes with Wayne and Damien, thought it was great and well acted by both lads. Bob's scene in the end was excellent. Love Love watching this guy and he has made other actors in this soap step up. Zumo's last word was brilliant as well. He has just evolved so much since the beginning.

It was very natural on screen between Judith and Tommy i thought. Sometimes those scenes can be a bit cringy to watch but that was well done.

Yeah im liking Wayne too. Maybe its just me but the more i see him the better looking he gets:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Just seen Renee doing a Cash for Gold ad on tv - I want her back to rescue Bob.

Im not a fan of that ad at all. Its a bit weird to watch but i think thats mainly due to the editing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Gibson101 wrote: »
    Another great episode tonight. Love the chemistry with Judith & Tommy. I think there a wonderful couple and a brilliant to watch.

yes i thought so too! awww :)
    so much chemistry!
    they reminded me of myself & the other half :D:D:D "but people are looking!" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Another fan of the Dillons here! Tommy is such a hunk & I foresee myself enjoying every one of his scenes:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great scene at the end in McCoys. The Wayne and Damian scenes were fantastic too - although was I the only one who noticed they were wearing the exact same shirt, just in different colours? It was kinda distracting.

It was nice to see Louie in the background, the more I see of him, the better :D

Surely if there was a police case, the detective would not be sitting there with the accused and letting the "witness" intimidate the accused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Who lives inbetween the Dillons and Damien/Suzanne.

Who lives inbetween the Dillons and Damien/Suzanne.

Is it Charlie's old place? who is living in charlie's anyway?

• Advertisement

0003ae6f-545.jpg

This week ten years ago..

Niamh broke Barry's heart; Gina discovered the identity of 'Mr. Kilkenny'; Pauline returned to Leo; and Lorcan was released from prison.

Niamh breaks up with Barry, leaving him devastated. Gina suspects the reason for the break-up is that Niamh and Paul are now a couple, and that Paul is the mysterious 'Mr. Kilkenny'. Finally, all is revealed when Gina walks in on Niamh and Paul kissing.
    Pauline returns from Donegal and finds lingerie in Leo's house. Assuming the worst she leaves. Leo stops her and manages to convince Pauline the lingerie was in fact for her. Though Pauline believes him, her mind is made up, and she once again leaves Leo.
    Determined to visit her son in prison, Carol poses as Kay. But Lorcan figures her con out, and refuses to see her. Kay promises Lorcan that she will do her utmost to keep Carol away. Lorcan is later released and welcomed back into the fold by Barry and Kay.
    There is counterfeit money going around Carrigstown, and Floyd and Matt are up to their elbows in it!
    Photo courtesy of RTÉ Stills Library.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/2010/0909/tenyrs.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The new family in Fair City brings the poor acting to a complete new level. I had actually begun to enjoy Fair City in recent episodes but todays was awful. They simply cant act. The final scene with the girl crying was absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Fantastic episode tonight.
    Bob stole the show as per usual, but taught everyone was top notch. Damian and Wayne scenes are always brilliant - I like the pairing up of Bob and Leo recently too.
    Great to see Robert back tonight - hilarious as per usual.
    I think Tommy, Dearbhla and Caoimhe are fast becoming three of my favourites and I think they're great additions. Not warming to Zak at all in comparison to the rest of the Dillons.
    Have to say I think Cal Kennealy who plays Mark has upped his game recently - his acting has improved and he's making the character his own. I think it just took him time to settle in. Although I have a feeling I may be on my own in thinking that.
    And of course, hats off to Thomas McLaughlin who wrote tonight and last nights episodes - another of the shows best writers.

Sully wrote: »
    The new family in Fair City brings the poor acting to a complete new level. I had actually begun to enjoy Fair City in recent episodes but todays was awful. They simply cant act. The final scene with the girl crying was absolutely terrible.

You think so? I'm enjoying them immensely. Today's episode was very good. Especially Bob's scenes in the end with Tommy. I really like Tommy. He is definitely my favourite at the moment.

Fantastic episode tonight.
    Bob stole the show as per usual, but taught everyone was top notch. Damian and Wayne scenes are always brilliant - I like the pairing up of Bob and Leo recently too.
    Great to see Robert back tonight - hilarious as per usual.
    I think Tommy, Dearbhla and Caoimhe are fast becoming three of my favourites and I think they're great additions. Not warming to Zak at all in comparison to the rest of the Dillons.
    Have to say I think Cal Kennealy who plays Mark has upped his game recently - his acting has improved and he's making the character his own. I think it just took him time to settle in. Although I have a feeling I may be on my own in thinking that.
    And of course, hats off to Thomas McLaughlin who wrote tonight and last nights episodes - another of the shows best writers.

I think the new Mark is excellent. Great episode tonight. I think Tommy Dillion is very suave and definitely a dad I'd like to have, I'm sure the ladies are loving him at the moment. Competing with Louie possibly Angel01 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Watched FairCity tonight for the first time in months.

That new family are the PITS. Acting is absolutely horrific, that Nessa/Neasa girl seems like she's sniggering half the time.
    I presume that Pervy grey man is supposed to be their dad? Wow he must have been about 16 when they were born...Found him uncomfortable to watch tbh.
    Since when did Damien turn into such an angry horrible twat? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Sully wrote: »

I enjoy fair city and agree there there is some in the programme that cant act, but thats a dangerous thing to say round here at times.

mariaf24 wrote: »
    Watched FairCity tonight for the first time in months.

That new family are the PITS. Acting is absolutely horrific, that Nessa/Neasa girl seems like she's sniggering half the time.
    I presume that Pervy grey man is supposed to be their dad? Wow he must have been about 16 when they were born...Found him uncomfortable to watch tbh.
    Since when did Damien turn into such an angry horrible twat? :rolleyes:

I don't think they've been given a fair chance to shine yet. I think they're a breath of fresh air. The show needed that sort of stimulus and I think it's great.

That new family are the PITS. Acting is absolutely horrificI presume that Pervy grey man is supposed to be their dad?

Don't listen to Esther; Bob Charles is not their father.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Since when did Damien turn into such an angry horrible twat?

Do you want that answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement