Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big clamp down on MP3 & DVD piracy in the UK. Ireland will follow.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Looks like the BPI is going to be Judge, Jury and Executer:

UK “MP3 Police” Evidence Unchallenged, Not For Public Consumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I read recently the UK were considering a downloading tax of £30 and once paid you could download what you want. I'd pay it, if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I would pay that tax no problemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Mr.S wrote: »
    i dont see how it would be enforced though?

would there be "approved" sites, or would be download as normal from the usual places, torrents, p2p etc and have our IP on a safe list or something?

Everyone with a net connection pays under the assumption that you will download at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ohh so like a TV liscence for the internet?

i can see the adds now:D
    Technically we should all be required to have some sort of TV licence for every broadband PC and 3G Mobile phone as these are well capable of streaming Television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm all for extra tax, 'tis better to gather more cash than to ask embarrasing questions about why the govt. can't efficiently use what they have.
    (always looking for an excuse to voice my utter hatred and contempt for our esteemed overlords ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The ISPs are being strong-armed into this. It is not in their best interests to cut-llose file-sharers or act as copyright police. The only steps they've signed up is to send out letters. They're not going to ban file-sharers from their service, because at the end of the day, it's filesharers who are splashing out on their expensive boradband packages.

Something's going to have to give. The floodgates have opened, and people have become too used to obtaining movies and music on a whim. The thought of paying 20e for an album does not appeal to many people any more. Either the music and movie industries readjust their pricing and delivery strategies so they are more in line with consumers' expectations, or the cat-and-mouse game continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

What're the chances that if such a tax were to come into force said companies would drop their DRM? After all, they would be fairly compensated for any copyright infringement under such a scheme.

Not a hope. They'd want their cake and to eat it too.
    Oh, and the likelihood of this remaining an annual charge? I don't think so, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭token56

Technically we should all be required to have some sort of TV licence for every broadband PC and 3G Mobile phone as these are well capable of streaming Television.

They were talking about bringing this in before for PC's however there would be uproar if they did so I believe they backed off the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I would pay that tax no problemo.

BITE YOUR TOUNGE! bite it hard! bite it until you choke and suffocate on your own blood!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

token56 wrote: »
    They were talking about bringing this in before for PC's however there would be uproar if they did so I believe they backed off the idea.

More specifically, I think they were trying to bring it in for pcs with tv cards in them. Not every pc as far as I know, but i could be wrong.

OT: If the ennual fee guaranteed an amnesty on copyright prosecution i would be willing to pay considerable more than €30, perhaps even up to €200. However, there would have to be substantial legal assurances that it was what it was advertised as, not some restricted scam.

I also would wonder what the legalities of throtteling a custmers service is, when not told to do so by someone with the power of law. Bit like a bank paying money out of your account for a bill you owe without your permission(which is illegal since the bank have no legal authority to do so unless instructed by a court or some other legal institution).

Not only that, but if one company decides not to, then they can rake in a lot of customers. It would be a very foolish business decision and to be honest, letters are as far as i can see ISPs going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭CheapStuff

dont make me laugh its only those people living in the 90s who use bit torrent. Pay for music, do me a favour... Winehouse and the like can get out work for a living instead of buying crack with my 79c.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

CheapStuff wrote: »
    dont make me laugh its only those people living in the 90s who use bit torrent. Pay for music, do me a favour... Winehouse and the like can get out work for a living instead of buying crack with my 79c.

yow wat mate?

Artists sing because they enjoy music as they are so fond of telling us in every interview they ever give. So lets make it a charity and they can work in the local chippie between song sessions. That way everyone wins, free music and the artistes do what they love doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

The question is, what technology do the music industry have to track you? Are they going into every single torrent and taking down the IP addresses? This is the problem with the latest deal. They don't have to reveal their technology and don't have to prove anything. If the music industry tell the ISP you are downloading then they have to take it as fact, without any questions. So you're pretty much buggered.

Personally I don't see it working in Ireland. Our courts would tear it apart in a blink.

Artists sing because they enjoy music as they are so fond of telling us in every interview they ever give. So lets make it a charity and they can work in the local chippie between song sessions. That way everyone wins, free music and the artistes do what they love doing.

Exactly. And what makes the music industry so special that a single song should make so many of them millionaires?

The music industry are required to the ISP with IP addresses, they cannot merely suggest you downloaded.

All the ISPs are doing is sending letters saying, which when reading between the lines say 'be discreet when getting mp3s so these music knobs will get off our case, then we can all go back to pummelling the net'

storm in a teacup brought up by the media, spin spin sugar

All the ISPs are doing is sending letters saying, which when reading between the lines say 'be discreet when getting mp3s so these music knobs will get off our case, then we can all go back to pummelling the net'

And how can you be discreet about it? If you're connected to a torrent that they're watching you're caught, plain and simple. You cannot hide your IP address.

Who uses torrent?? only those who can't understand the alternatives.

Enuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Gegerty wrote: »
    And how can you be discreet about it? If you're connected to a torrent that they're watching you're caught, plain and simple. You cannot hide your IP address.
    You're wrong there man.
    Very easy to hide it, there are at least 3 easy ways for you to use torrents in almost absolute privacy.

• Advertisement

One question - why torrents? slow you have to share

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    You're wrong there man.
    Very easy to hide it, there are at least 3 easy ways for you to use torrents in almost absolute privacy.

Name them. How can you communicate without an IP address?

Thanks Mr S its folks like you that help the minority have a happy life. Keep on using those torrents guys

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Thanks Mr S its folks like you that help the minority have a happy life. Keep on using those torrents guys
    No discussion of how to avail of illegal downloads.

Terry wrote: »
    No discussion of how to avail of illegal downloads.

At least let him explain how he is able to communicate over a network without an IP address. Although I can understand why he would want to keep it secret, technology like that would be worth billions :p

Tel has spoken, it will remain a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

:confused: he didn't say anything?
    I deleted posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭techdiver

I think if ISP's clamped down on this they would ruin their business. No one needs 10MB broadband to surf normal web pages. Much of the use for such speeds is torrents, plain and simple.

Tel has spoken, it will remain a secret.

So explain how it works without mentioning anything illegal.

• Advertisement

The industry had no part in burners only cds and dvds. The same they had no part in VHS or BetaMax...

Itunes works very well... its simply a failure to move with the times on others parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement