Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big clamp down on MP3 & DVD piracy in the UK. Ireland will follow.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

If you're using a wireless connection, unpassword it and give it the 'who me guv?' approach if they say anything. 'Nah must have been someone in one of the fifty houses with 300 yards of here'.

Fairly sure that wouldn't work.
    You're responsible for the security of your wifi connection i would've thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Ha, I remember all sorts of guff in the days of Napster about 'cracking down on music piracy' etc etc. Nearly 10 years on, and not a whole lot has been done - in fact, it's easier than ever for Joe Average to get pirate material.
    tech77 wrote: »
    Fairly sure that wouldn't work.
    You're responsible for the security of your wifi connection i would've thought.

No, I'm pretty sure there have been precedential cases in the US and UK of people being acquitted of hax0ring due to operating open wireless networks. Think about it - if you left your car unlocked, and someone stole it and ran someone over, you wouldn't be prosecuted for this.

However, it's a shaky defence, and I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of legal effort is made to make people take responsibility of the security of their own networks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mr.S wrote: »
    obviosuly they'll never stop it, but they'll make it harder/easier to get caught.

Rapidshare? half the stuff on that is gone within the hour anyway.

Not if you have decent sources ;) , also a trick is to use rapidshare after 6 when theres no one around to delete the stuff ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

doesn't RS have a 100mb limit anyway? so you have to download in parts, which is just messy.
    Not as messy as an angry letter from a recording company. Putting the parts together is a piece of piss with something like WinRAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

2 quick comments on this thread:

1 TV shows are a very grey area for downloading, as they are free to air anyway. it is the one thing I would miss the most though :o

2 I have to agree with one of the previous posters, itunes is a poor choice, as it is the only really available. I object to being tied to one service provider - a monopoly - I use mp3 players and my phone a lot for music. I cannot be bothered with the whole converting of files to different formats: hence i keep using .mp3 format.

hope this makes some sense, getting tired here:p

• Advertisement

doesn't RS have a 100mb limit anyway? so you have to download in parts, which is just messy.
    Not if you have premium ;) , With premium you stick links in flashget, choose it to login with premium credentials, it will download full speed all files in the download manager, then alls needed is unpacking the data with WinRAR and thats it, also I think free users can download 200meg or 300meg files a hour now?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

is my understanding of this correct, in that they will be sending letters to ANYONE who has downloaded above a set figure, based on the ASSUMPTION that theyre likely to be downloaders, as opposed to actually having any proof in the slightest?

if you dont upload to limewire, dont seed torrents, and dont do anything stupid, youre far too much hassle to bother with because theres numbers numpties who leave their downloading habits wide open for the world to see

Helix wrote: »
    is my understanding of this correct, in that they will be sending letters to ANYONE who has downloaded above a set figure, based on the ASSUMPTION that theyre likely to be downloaders, as opposed to actually having any proof in the slightest?

if you dont upload to limewire, dont seed torrents, and dont do anything stupid, youre far too much hassle to bother with because theres numbers numpties who leave their downloading habits wide open for the world to see
    Afaik they will only "go after" uploaders mainly, if its anything like happens in the states, the isp may recieve a letter from said organisation, with ip and details on it, then the isp may send it on to you, with a warning, but I can't see this happening here anytime soon, and probably only p2p apps will be affected by this as when used your ip address is directly viewable by your peers, which one could be a organisation

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pretty sure theyve expressly mentioned downloaders here

pretty sure theyve expressly mentioned downloaders here
    I said mainly uploaders :$ not only , they could possibly go after downloaders, although I would think this would be harder to prove as your not sending any data as evidence to be receiving a file, I'm no expert here but I think I read on here a while back under some fair use law in copyright it may actually be legal to download most stuff for personal use!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

All you damn leechers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Remember about two weeks ago when we read that the EU has given the digital records of every ISP and IP address in Europe over to the US authorities, This is where all the surveillance is going to come from. The FBI take Video and Music Piracy very seriously because they are getting pressure from the likes of Viacom and other home industries that are losing serious revenue in recent years. The US has the resources to track down and monitor every pc on this planet that is downloading unauthorised data.

These letters will be to the point and will be addressed at random to the accounts of people whos ISP has records of defaulting clients. It will be up to the person whose account has downloaded the offending material to prove himself innocent. These letters would be warnings but would follow up with local raids, seisure of equipment and fines if the problem persists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Same as a previous poster, been hearing this since Napster & when this closed down, hundreds of torrent sites opened. I only download the odd tvshow and odd movie, no music whatsoever. But what I can't understand is, that if typed in any song you would find it on YouTube anyways! I know it's bad quality and that but still, there are video sites all over the net with tvshows, movies and music streaming. I cannot see this ever stopping. People will just move on like they did before from p2p - torrents - file hosting sites - usenet - ?? - ?? and so on. The Pirate Bay are even working on new streaming torrents. Who knows whats in a passworded Winrar file anyways :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'm not sure if anyone else does this but i use realplayer to download stuff from youtube and then use other freeware to convert the files from flv into more useful ones.I can even extract songs from music videos.There are concessions in quality but i live in the security that i cant be touched because what i do isnt technically illegal in any way afaik.I stopped "leeching" a few years ago when i noticed the virus's were killing my pc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

obviosuly they'll never stop it, but they'll make it harder/easier to get caught.

Rapidshare? half the stuff on that is gone within the hour anyway.

There are also far better ways and if you want anything, it is on rapidshare.
    these preferential services would provide a faster download, less leaching, less pop ups, less errors etc.
    Lol at anybody payingo for torrents. It already dls damn fast, you can decide how much leeching you want there to be, there are no pop ups or errors.
    As for MAC address that people mentioned, you can change mine at a click of a button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

ISPs can normally tell downloaders by the high volume traffic that they are downloading.

The line begins to blur though with the rise of youtube etc, 25mb per video? Heavy users of those kind of sites could watch 30+ videos a day is about 25gb per month of bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My understanding is that currently in this country file sharing of music, videos whatever.. is seen as copyright infringement and is a civil matter. It is not illegal in the criminal sense and the gardai certainly don't get involved at any stage. It's up to the corporations to try and persude the ISP's to give them the logs and then take you to court. I think it will be a while here in this country before people have to worry about criminal prosecutions being taken against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

grasshopa wrote: »
    The line begins to blur though with the rise of youtube etc, 25mb per video? Heavy users of those kind of sites could watch 30+ videos a day is about 25gb per month of bandwidth

As you are probably aware already the US authorities have access to ALL UTube files for the last five year this was even before the Viacom court case saga. The Patriot act gave them the right to access anything if they suspect terrorism, They know what UTube videos you are watching and what stuff you are interested in and have watched in the past, They can tell immediately whether you are watching videos or downloading / leaching from an illegal torrent site, These guys are not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Anyone have a torrent link to the news story?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

It wasn't too long ago that Eircom reported a serious flaw with wireless broadband routers which allowed the security encryption of an Eircom wireless network to be bypassed by outsiders, who can then "piggyback" on a customer's internet connection. This makes for a great, "it wasn't me your honor", case.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/02/eircom_wireless_security_flaw/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Anyone else think run to da hills posts are very uninformed? It seems from his posts that he has a specific agenda, either that or he actually believes all the sensationalism he is posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is tracking your IP and internet use not a breach of privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If nobody were to seed torrents there would be nothing to download using that medium.

I would miss the TV shows if they were stopped but they are a grey area and I think the priority is to protect music and movies. Anytime they have closed one avenue for this stuff in the past another has opened, I think that will always be the case.

Usenet FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

Spying on computers/download history is the same as opening somebodys post box and reading all the letters. I don't know how they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thing is, if the music industry got its finger out then i would gladly pay for a service where i could download decent bit rate music from a large catalogue, I dont like downloading from all the usual suspects because its a pain in de hole or the quality and selection are sh*te. I aint buying Cds though, Im not paying for obsolete storage devices anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Meh, always ways round these things. Cubit is an interesting open source project that provides decentralized approximate keyword search of torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

FruitLover wrote: »
    However, it's a shaky defence, and I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of legal effort is made to make people take responsibility of the security of their own networks.

Well, when I got my broadband installed, they left it unsecured. To secure it,
    I had to connect my laptop to the router, search the internet on how to secure it, type in tons of different codes.

It's not something I can see your average computer newbie doing. Most people would leave it as they got it.

So, would they proscecute some old granny, for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

What's the story with MP3sparks.com, is that site legal as your paying for it?, I know they kept saying Allofmp3 was too but now its shut down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Sure WEP is (apparently) very easy to crack. MAC addresses are only quasi unique (I love you wikipedia). How the hell could this be enforced?

'Well officer, thats not my MAC address, and WEP isn't exaclty uber secure. Wasn't me!'

I can imagine a post like this being the kind of post given as evidence to a jury in some file sharing case, another example for 'zomg be careful what you say online' articles etc. I'm pointing this out to ensure my ass is covered whatever happens :D

If this does happen, Boardsie intranet anyone? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

Namesco wrote: »
    What's the story with MP3sparks.com, is that site legal as your paying for it?, I know they kept saying Allofmp3 was too but now its shut down.

MP3sparks.com = Allofmp3 ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement