Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Ryanair don’t care. Full stop.

They sold us transfers from the airport to central Rome a few years ago. When we arrived in Rome there was some dispute between the bus operator and the authorities. Not Ryanair’s fault or problem. They area point to point airline. I wouldn’t buy an hotel room, hire a car, book a transfer of them since. Simples.

I see your point of view but your dealing with people who simply don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

See a Spanish court has ruled their cabin baggage fees illegal?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1120/1094121-ryanair-hand-luggage-fee/

I also like this
    The court ordered Ryanair to refund her the €20 plus interest, but rejected her demand for compensation of a further €10 for the suffering she experienced, according to court documents.

She rejected the demand for compensation, however, saying that while doubtless "the passenger suffered rage and powerlessness in having to pay the extra unforeseen cost at the time of boarding" the discomfort did not reach a level that would justify compensation.

If only a few of our own judges had that attitude towards compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Wheety wrote: »
    See a Spanish court has ruled their cabin baggage fees illegal?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1120/1094121-ryanair-hand-luggage-fee/

Will this mean that Ryanair can no longer charge extra for cabin baggage flying out of Spain? Or are there more hoops that need to be jumped through before then? It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Probably just higher ticket prices from Spanish airports ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Will this mean that Ryanair can no longer charge extra for cabin baggage flying out of Spain? Or are there more hoops that need to be jumped through before then? It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Probably just higher ticket prices from Spanish airports ...

Ya... Mick coukd get the hump at the Spanish and decide to charge EVERYONE a new Spanish Tax to recoup his lost baggage revenue. !!

Anyone remember the 'wheelchair charge' many years ago when €2-50 went on every fare to pay for carrying wheelchairs free of charged when he got pulled for charging poor wheelchair users extra for bringing a wheelchair on the flight... the cheek of them !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mick will just up the base price for flights out of spain so everybody pays.

• Advertisement

And you definitely want to be in the first 50 on board to get overhead locker space. expect priority to go up substantially in price. Or first bag reduced to 8 kg and pay for 2nd bag,
    They’ll appeal it anyway. Added: I sew the Spanish court saiid it can’t be appealed. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It just means Ryanair will now charge everyone for everyone to bring luggage on board.

It's pretty stupid actually, Ryanairs motivation is to speed up boarding and have faster turnaround, they aren't interested in charging for bags, it's just a way of controlling how much carry on sh*t people bring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

redcup342 wrote: »
    It just means Ryanair will now charge everyone for everyone to bring luggage on board.

It's pretty stupid actually, Ryanairs motivation is to speed up boarding and have faster turnaround, they aren't interested in charging for bags, it's just a way of controlling how much carry on sh*t people bring.

That’s definitely not true, they can now sell and headline fare and basically the majority of passengers now have to add on some form of extra unless they are traveling with a laptop bag.
    They have you over a barrel and you’re paying extra either for priority or a check in bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Ryanair could fix it by changing the boarding order to favour priority boarding.
    1. Priority with trolley case
    2. Non priority with small luggage
    3. Non priority with trolley case. if there's no space in the overhead bins the passenger could pay to check a bag .. Or reschedule their flight to the next available flight after paying fare difference.
    Check mate.

Another option, clearly mark overhead cabin spaces and assign them to seats. So a seat with storage is more expensive than a seat without. People who don't pay for seat selection can only board with trolleys if there's free space, or risk paying a checked bag fee at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Locker10a wrote: »
    That’s definitely not true, they can now sell and headline fare and basically the majority of passengers now have to add on some form of extra unless they are traveling with a laptop bag.
    They have you over a barrel and you’re paying extra either for priority or a check in bag.

Rucksack is absolutely fine and it's plenty of clothes for a weekend.

I think it's great, I travel light anyways so don't bring a carry on rolling back and ryanair gives me the option not to have to pay to bring a carry on bag.

• Advertisement

Ryanair are great for relatively low fares. But you do mental calculations when you book a week or more with them. Do I need a bag? Will priority and two bags on board do? Do I want a middle seat ( I know about checking in late) do I want (guaranteed) to seat beside my partner?
    After you do all the sums if the time is right, price is right, than yeah they are ok.
    Personally I give AL a €20 head start and work from there. Everyone is different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

redcup342 wrote: »
    Rucksack is absolutely fine and it's plenty of clothes for a weekend.

I think it's great, I travel light anyways so don't bring a carry on rolling back and ryanair gives me the option not to have to pay to bring a carry on bag.

Rucksack as in school bag size that fits under the seat in front of you? Yeah that’s grand for a weekend but for longer it’s not and depends on the person. But the point is you can bring that in any airline anyway! And additional reasonable khans luggage. Yes all bags won’t fit in the cabin but there’s no charge if your hand luggage goes in the hold. I think it’s fair to say Ryanair no longer offer a “reasonable” free personal luggage allowance irregardless of where that ends up, on board or in the hold.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Rucksack as in school bag size that fits under the seat in front of you? Yeah that’s grand for a weekend but for longer it’s not and depends on the person. But the point is you can bring that in any airline anyway! And additional reasonable khans luggage. Yes all bags won’t fit in the cabin but there’s no charge if your hand luggage goes in the hold. I think it’s fair to say Ryanair no longer offer a “reasonable” free personal luggage allowance irregardless of where that ends up, on board or in the hold.

I didn’t think that it was free at the gate anymore. Think that was the problem with the Spanish case? AL charge €5 to check in your cabin bag at Dublin airport.

Free at European airports. Great service as it means you can take liquids in your cabin size bag, and check it in (desk 32) for €5,

Ry baggage policy now

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bag-policy

And ( from above)
    Non-priority customers who have not added a bag to their booking can still purchase a 10kg Check-In Bag at the airport bag drop desk or at the boarding gate for €/£25.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

I have seen today news on paper "Ryanair currently has nine bases at 26 airports in Spain and employs around 3,000 people which does not include the bases at Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote which were shut down on January 8 because of the problems with the 737 MAX"

What do they mean by bases? ground staff based on the Canary? I should go on Holiday to Lanzarote and flights are still available in March and April 2020

SOrry, it could be a silly question but i have to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

turniton wrote: »
    I have seen today news on paper "Ryanair currently has nine bases at 26 airports in Spain and employs around 3,000 people which does not include the bases at Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote which were shut down on January 8 because of the problems with the 737 MAX"

What do they mean by bases? ground staff based on the Canary? I should go on Holiday to Lanzarote and flights are still available in March and April 2020

SOrry, it could be a silly question but i have to ask

It means the flights that originate from a based airport have Ryanair flight and cabin crew based (living) there, a flight that goes to that airport but doesn’t originate there will have a crew on it that are based in a different airport

So for example, if you have a Dublin - Malaga - Dublin flight thats a Dublin based aircraft and crew,
    if its Malaga - Dublin - Malaga thats a Malaga based aircraft and crew

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Booked a flight to Edinburgh in Nov, checked in on my laptop last Wednesday flying Saturday. Arrived at airport Saturday morning went to app to get boarding passes, it said I hadnt checked in. It was now less than 2 hours so app check-inn closed. Went to desk, was told no you didnt check in, had to pay 55€ (each for 3) to check-in.

Is this a thing, has anyone experienced system issues on checking in but not being checked in before?

Do I have any recourse for a refund in this situation or is it just tough and move on?

I didn't receive a confirmation check-in email, when I checked in originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

did you pay for the seat when checking in on the wednesday?

usually wont complete check in until 48 hours i think it is before flight time unless you choose to pay for a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

You probably did it too fast and missed the message that says that check in is only available 48 hours before you flight if you opt for random seat allocation.

I had a similar issue when I flew back from Marrakech; I was in fact checked in, but I missed the message stating 'online check in and mobile boarding passes are not available from this airport, please print out your boarding pass. Woopsie. I sweet talked the check in agent in writing me a MANUALLY WRITTEN (with pen !) boarding pass, though, and thus avoided the 55 euros check in fee. Whoo.

I am pretty sure that this would never work in a western european country like Ireland, though. In third world countries you can have a bit more flexibility in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You're not checked in until you have your boarding pass. Can't see you getting anything tbh

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

did you pay for the seat when checking in on the wednesday?

usually wont complete check in until 48 hours i think it is before flight time unless you choose to pay for a seat

Seats, bags and all was selected and paid for in November.

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    You're not checked in until you have your boarding pass. Can't see you getting anything tbh

Do you have to click view boarding passes though? I got to the final screen where it says view boarding passes but I didnt click on the link as I had no need to view them as was planning on using the app and not print, is that were I have went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I expect regardless of your experience you will be told "Ryanair are a no refund airline".

Speaking from a different experience of "technical issues"

But worth making a formal complaint on their website juat to get it off your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

GG66 wrote: »
    I expect regardless of your experience you will be told "Ryanair are a no refund airline".

Speaking from a different experience of "technical issues"

But worth making a formal complaint on their website juat to get it off your chest.

Ryanair has a policy of not responding to individual complaints and claims.

What are their customers going to do, sue the entire airline? That would often cost much more money than the claim is worth.

The best thing you can do is send one of those no cure no pay small claims companies (which specialize in suing ryanair) to them, they will eat 30 % of the fee but at least you'll get some of the money.

This is ryanair's business model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merged to Ryanair megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm part of a very small group who can claim to have had a zero hassle refund experience with Ryanair. It was even a refund I shouldn't have been entitled to (got email at 2 hour delay to say I could reschedule or cancel for a refund), flight left 2 hours 58 minutes late so just before I would actually have been entitled to a refund. Got on to live chat, sent them a screenshot of email and money was refunded to my PayPal without any hassle. I hadn't even gone to the airport as the weather was so bad.

I think I was extremely lucky to get someone so helpful, it's certainly worth a try

Quick question. When you book priority and 2 bags, can you check in you cabin bag at Dublin airport.?
    I know AL let you do this for €5. Just wondering do RY allow this too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

No they do not.

You will have to pony up for that.

No they do not.

You will have to pony up for that.

Bag already paid for, how much to leave it at gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

£/€25 to check at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

joeysoap wrote:
    Bag already paid for, how much to leave it at gate?

Always cheaper to choose this at the time of booking than afterwards. Normally €12-15 for a checked in 10kg bag at time of booking depending on destination.

Advertisement