Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I end up saying this a few times a year, but this thread is fantastic to ignore for a month or so and then come back to.

I never tire of the pictures and there are some really talented folk taking the pics. As always thanks to all of you for providing so many quality pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lumber Man

Can you please identify this bird. There is about two dozen of them for the last week or so in a field in the Mayo area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Lumber Man wrote: »
    Can you please identify this bird. There is about two dozen of them for the last week or so in a field in the Mayo area.

Hard to tell from the pic, but do they have a bluey-grey head?
    If so ,they're Fieldfare. A winter visitor to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Looks like a fieldfare alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lumber Man

Thanks OpenYourEyes and trebor28!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 soupdragon

Over to see the Waxwings recently in Cobh a few shots from Cobh and Cuskinny

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

A Ring-billed Gull late this afternoon at Bray Harbour..

RingBGull3_zps4b250dbc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

soupdragon, the picture of the waxwing is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Hey there, I got this photo that I was happy with a few weeks ago but couldn't identify the top bird! Just wondering if anybody has an id?! Probably an easy one :o

p1311829832-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Female chaffinch?

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    Female chaffinch?

I had thought chaffinch myself but was looking for red! Will have a gander and see if I can confirm it :)

Yeah that seems to be the one! Thanks a mil, vandriver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Yep, female Chaffinch.

Herring Gull preening in St. Stephen's Green yesterday:

232520.JPG

232521.JPG

232522.JPG

Moorhen:

232523.JPG

V_moth, cant view them pics you just posted

trebor28 wrote: »
    V_moth, cant view them pics you just posted

Sorry about that. I have no idea what happened - I uploaded the pictures as usual using the insert image icon, but the files seem to have been deleted after I posted. Very odd.

V_Moth wrote: »
    Sorry about that. I have no idea what happened - I uploaded the pictures as usual using the insert image icon, but the files seem to have been deleted after I posted. Very odd.

no need to apologise, was just alerting you as it looked like you hadnt noticed or that they were showing to you but not the rest of us!

Another mixed bag....
    8268746721_5dc027daf5_c.jpg
    Bullfinch (female) by carl cotter, on Flickr

8269812686_b0a7dd5d07_c.jpg
    Robin by carl cotter, on Flickr

8268745033_0fd0704abc_c.jpg
    Curlew by carl cotter, on Flickr

Is this little fellow a Dunnock?

8269813412_9cb059b009_c.jpg
    IMG_6453 by carl cotter, on Flickr

Is this little fellow a Dunnock?

8269813412_9cb059b009_c.jpg
    IMG_6453 by carl cotter, on Flickr

Its not a dunnock anyway. How big is it?
    Could be a meadow pippit.
    Or if its bigger a some thrush.
    On the phone here so could be way out

• Advertisement

It's a Song Thrush.

Maybe a bit smaller than the bullfinch.It looked too small to be a thrush.Location was at the edge of a pond in Bushy Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

IMG_8233-1.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

This is what could be described as lazy photography,taken through the kitchen window. There was 70+ goldenfinches in the garden today.

Maybe a bit smaller than the bullfinch.It looked too small to be a thrush.Location was at the edge of a pond in Bushy Park.

Judging the size of a bird can be very difficult as the birds plumage makes up a large amount of the visual "mass". In cold weather they can fluff up feathers making them look bigger - or slimmer if the feathers smoothed down. Also light conditions can affect the size perception of a bird.

Here's my thinking as to why its a Song Thrush:

The bill shape (long and thin) of the bird in the picture rules out the Crows, Finches, Birds of Prey and the "water" birds (ducks, geese). Also, note the yellow stripe on the lower mandible of this bird. The underparts are white with black spotting, with a faint yellowish wash to the upperparts. This rules out the warblers and tits as bird families to look at, leaving only the Thrushes as likely candidates.

From this large group we can immediately rule out Wren, Robin, Stonechat and Wheatear from the underpart colouring. Dunnock can also be ruled out as it has solid grey underparts.

This leaves Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Redwing and Fieldfare in the Thrush group. Redwing and Fieldfare can be ruled as the bird in the picture doesn't have a prominent supercilium ("eyebrow") or a grey head. Now here's where its gets trickier. Female and immature Blackbirds can look quite similar to the bird in question, but the bill colouring in Blackbirds is almost always uniform black or yellow (they never have that pale bar on the lower mandible).

Separating Mistle and Song Thrushes can be quite tricky, but the shape of the spots on the underparts is a good ID feature. They are round in Mistle Thrush and arrow-shaped in Song Thrush. The bird in the picture has arrow-shaped spots leaving Song Thrush as the only option.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully there is some useful info there :)

What's your weekly nyger seed bill !

What's your weekly nyger seed bill !

I buy it by the 25kg bag.A friend has a garden centre so I get it at a good price:)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

greenfinch and goldfinch-old pic from couple years ago

F0E073A9BD264274B1B96D6338DBDF85-0000355662-0002849111-00800L-B105B48C73AE4657A6355C5CFD60F88C.jpg

thebishop wrote: »
    IMG_8233-1.jpg

This is what could be described as lazy photography,taken through the kitchen window. There was 70+ goldenfinches in the garden today.

That's fantastic bishop! Some spectacle and photo op! Any chance a few photographers can organise a field trip to your back garden!? :D:) Do you not get other birds crashing the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

My first ever Redpoll :D

Time%2520Lapse%2520Mixed%2520013.JPG

• Advertisement

tororosso wrote: »
    That's fantastic bishop! Some spectacle and photo op! Any chance a few photographers can organise a field trip to your back garden!? :D:) Do you not get other birds crashing the party?

Its the front garden, you could park at the gate ,you wouldnt have to get out of the car:). There are quiet a few other birds about at the moment.One siskin, three red polls.lots of chaffinchs,sparrows by the dozen, great, coal, and blue tits and a few others from time to time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement