Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

looks fine for a young perri to me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Yeah I'd be very very surprised if its not a young Peregrine tbh! They are a very powerful looking bird, especially the females, and they're doing pretty ok in the east so it wouldn't be much of a shock to see them in Boora I wouldn't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Its a peregrine
    I've seen enough of them to be 99% percent sure
    To say a peregrine isn't powerfull is a ridiculous statement To make about a bird of prey that is also the fastest animal in the world
    Not all peregrines have a blue like colour about them
    It's a pere

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

8148499031_4b81cef7ab_b.jpg

Taken in ECNR Newcastle, the day before yesterday, was a good distance off, so quality is not the best, but I was delighted to finally get a recognisable shot of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I spotted this in Celbridge beside the Liffey, I've no idea of the species of bird it is though..
    IMG_0017.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

That is a Grey Heron.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Didnt hang around long enough for a better picture.

226969.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

V_Moth wrote: »
    Whatever this is, I am 99% sure it is not a Peregrine - it just looks too "powerful" for that species. Also, the face appears to be too white and the black facial stripe a bit too narrow for that species. I would guess it is either Lanner or Saker Falcon or some exotic hybrid involving those species. The closest to the above bird I could find is this:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=29182

Probably a good idea to post the pics in somewhere like Birdforum to get a positive ID.

I'm with V Moth on this one. This is not an immature bird, the yellow colouring

around the eye shows that. Both Peregrine and Saker have 'blue' nares and eye colour as young birds.

mrstippy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See here, Eyass Peregrine on the left, mature Falcon on the right.

Lanner has longer, slimmer wings so I'm goin Saker, or Saker cross!

Dave

Unfortunately the only other pics I got of it were from much further away, but someone might be able to spot something in the shape.

I originally spotted it from about 700-800 metres away, and when I went down looking for it, I flushed it out from the ground.

7S5D0736.jpg

7S5D0783.jpg

7S5D0795.jpg

7S5D0797.jpg

7S5D0800.jpg

7S5D0808.jpg

7S5D0811.jpg

7S5D0821.jpg

7S5D0822.jpg

7S5D0824.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

@whyulittle: Would it be possible to post higher resolution pics of the fourth pic from top and the second last one? If I remember correctly, Peregrine should show a narrow white trailing edge to the tail, which seems to be absent in this bird.

Just to keep with the bird of prey theme, a Merlin resting onboard the Celtic Explorer in the Celtic Sea. Note its missing the claw on its right-most toe:

227076.JPG

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I don't have any better, they're all cropped to the max.

There were some great shots of a SEO on the Navy's LE Roisin somewhere during the week - 170 miles out to sea.

EDIT: They were on Irish Birding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

in that photo, the Merlin looks as small as a sparrow (almost!). are they really that small? whats a SEO? sea eagle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

emo72 wrote: »
    in that photo, the Merlin looks as small as a sparrow (almost!). are they really that small? whats a SEO? sea eagle?

Short Eared Owl!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

Short Eared Owl!

Haha i was way out! sunday morning and fuzzy head syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

We got a new feeder stand :)

DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0302.jpg

And some angry birds:

DSCN0304.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

boards1y.jpg

boards2.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to resize!!
    Resized thanks to Tiercel Dave.

Ran into these 2 having quite the fight. Sorry the quality isn't great, they were quite far away. Can anyone I.D. the lighter one please?

Thanks,

L

Looks like a Kestrel to me

Looks like a Kestrel to me

And me.

And now for my own problems. I don't think this is the same bird as I posted before. That one was very brown, but this one looked a lot more blue/grey. I actually thought it was a Sparrowhawk when I was shooting it.

7S5D1081.jpg

7S5D1082.jpg

7S5D1083.jpg

And another new bird at Boora today, Short-eared Owl?

7S5D1334.jpg

7S5D1295.jpg

And of course, what would be it without Hen Harriers!?

7S5D1170.jpg

Definitely two, if not three of them there.

7S5D1164.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

@ Whyulittle. Definite Peregrine this time. Mature blue bird, I would guess female by the strength in the shoulders. Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Im no expert but both look more like Peregrines to me.

• Advertisement

I put the other bird up on BirdForum like V_Moth suggested but unfortunately the few replies I got were as inconclusive!

I'd be happy with a Peregrine, I just like to know what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Mature female pere by looks of it
    Must go to boora one day seems to be a serious amount of bops around
    Love seeing them
    Was on a break yesterday and it was just bout dark and a blackbird flew in front of me with a musket closely behind it

@whyulittle: Yes to the Peregrine (adult) - interesting to see how much the face pattern changes between the first and the second picture.

Also, yes to the Short-eared Owl. A handy tip is that Long EO's have completely streaked breast and belly, whereas SEO's are unstreaked (except for the upper part of the breast).

A couple of Common Dolphins swimming along side the Celtic Explorer:

227523.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

had a flock of hundreds of fieldfares show up on my birthday couple days ago.Got help with i.d. from my cousin as I hadn't seen one before.He suggested fieldfares or redwings and I think they are the former.They've been hanging around for few days now and finally perched on wire outside the house close enough to get a few shots.It's been fun watching them swoop down on the frustrated sparrowhawks.

youtube vid showing large flock http://youtu.be/3ce-cBb6M30 I tried using the YT embed brackets but it didn't work?

DADE35FB6103470F92C1F6539A30A2B0-0000355662-0003067561-01024L-E0A2EA9364234CBE961822C03585F46C.jpg

A994B5F3FE7C41CBAA5CADD57E22E5F5-0000355662-0003067560-01024L-4E4CC62B036340FC8FC9D138557132CF.jpg

D5ED4CFA0C88426F8F4ECC94C71409D8-0000355662-0003067559-01024L-999BD3A82D224DE094C97717CC06234C.jpg

link to a 3800 x 1065 pixel shot hosted on panoramio.About 70 birds perched on the wire and there were double that nearby

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=0&with_photo_id=81792104&order=date_desc&user=3652051

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Looks like you have a waxwing on the left of bottom picture as a bonus:)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

ha I never even noticed that.Funny as I thought they were all waxwings until I broke out the binoculars ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Nice to see the waxwing...there have been big movements of them in Britain so hopefully a few more end up here...

I went for a walk with the camera today. Can somebody name the last two for me? Im useless with names. Is it a grey heron?

DSCN0347.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0379.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0357.jpg

Grey Heron and Oystercatcher. Fantastic pic of the Starling!

• Advertisement

V_Moth wrote: »
    Grey Heron and Oystercatcher. Fantastic pic of the Starling!

Thanks for naming them. Yeah the starling was in Howth standing next to a car. Its didnt move while I got closer. I think it was posing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement