Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Seen what looked like a thrush but with a really, really long beak (index finger long) today, have a bad pic, a quick google doesn't show it, what was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Kuva wrote: »
    Seen what looked like a thrush but with a really, really long beak (index finger long) today, have a bad pic, a quick google doesn't show it, what was it?

where did you see it- inland/lake/sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Glad to see the fatballs I bought are still in demand :)

39832309484_c5ea2e7a2e_c.jpg
    Robin in snowfall

keps wrote: »
    where did you see it- inland/lake/sea?

In friends front garden, midlands, 2 of them walking around on the snow, he never seen them before either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please, take the netting off. It is a cause of many injuries to birds
    peter1892 wrote: »
    Glad to see the fatballs I bought are still in demand :)

39832309484_c5ea2e7a2e_c.jpg
    Robin in snowfall

• Advertisement

Kuva wrote: »
    In friends front garden, midlands, 2 of them walking around on the snow, he never seen them before either.

Can you even upload the 'bad' photo to give a clue?

Was the beak totally straight- maybe a bit curved?

Can you even upload the 'bad' photo to give a clue?

Was the beak totally straight- maybe a bit curved?

here she is...

Wow -that's a very decent photo ok- but unfortunately I am not the best at identifying- someone like OYE or Srameen is needed

Looks like a sea/estuary wading bird that may have been confused by the weather- a wild guess maybe a Dunlin

But your photo will definitely bring the issue to a good conclusion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

38733107070_6e89b242a4_c.jpg

Just another gull by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Looking out the window tonight it's hard to think that this was taken just two weeks ago :)

Wow -that's a very decent photo ok- but unfortunately I am not the best at identifying- someone like OYE or Srameen is needed

Looks like a sea/estuary wading bird that may have been confused by the weather- a wild guess maybe a Dunlin

But your photo will definitely bring the issue to a good conclusion:)

Hmm, similar looking but that has a pointy ish beak, I think my girl is more cylinder ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Thought maybe Golden Plover before seeing the photo, but now would say it looks like Common Snipe?

Interestingly, have seen a few posts online today from people seeing Snipe out and about in the snow.

A youtube as a matter of interest

Snipe/Dunlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtifWyAOEmM

whyulittle wrote: »
    Thought maybe Golden Plover before seeing the photo, but now would say it looks like Common Snipe?

Interestingly, have seen a few posts online today from people seeing Snipe out and about in the snow.
    A youtube as a matter of interest

Snipe/Dunlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtifWyAOEmM
    Yep, thats her. Never seen one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snipe

Looking at habitats there, I wouldn't say they were lost or off course cuz of the weather, lots of boggy wetlands about here, surprised I never seen one before so really.

Thanks guys!!

They make an amazing sound, with their tail feathers! Google "drumming snipe"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It's a Snipe alright. BirdWatch Ireland are getting a lot of reports around the country where people are seeing them in their gardens during this cold spell! A great one for the garden list! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I was delighted to see Fieldfare in my garden for the very first time this afternoon. They were foraging on the berries of a Viburnum tinus which I'd pruned severely at the weekend, so unfortunately, there was slim pickings and they didn't stay too long. The images were taken through a window which has them somewhat grainy.

25689147937_4d0a221378_b.jpg

40517106752_446a5137aa_b.jpg

40517107472_c2e4ea272f_b.jpg

25689147307_84e15cee46_b.jpg

@Hotei

Window or not - they are super pics:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

@Hotei

Window or not - they are super pics:)

Thanks a million, keps! :)

As OYE indicated - a few people might be adding some new bird species to their garden sighting list after this cold winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

The same as Hotei taken through the kitchen window today :D.

Redwing
    443864.JPG

Fieldfare
    443866.JPG

Starling
    443867.JPG

443868.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

quickly snatched photo, is it a Fieldfare?

DSC00843.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Isambard wrote: »
    quickly snatched photo, is it a Fieldfare?

Meadow Pipit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

thanks for that.
    How about this one?

DSC00927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

I'm very eager to know about that one as well as I spotted one in my garden just a bit ago that I'm trying to ID. Based on my bird book, I was thinking linnet at first, but I'm not so sure now after looking at more pictures online. New to this :)

No Snipe (yet!) but Meadow Pipits and Redwings in the garden here today too. Meadow Pipits are Boora birds to me, so can't wait until the Hen Harrier shows up. :D

7S5D0751.jpg

7S5D0770.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

I think it's trying to tell me something here :D.

444407.JPG

444412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Brilliant picture Thyme. I had my first Redwing + Fieldfare birds this week in my urban garden. One of the few benefits of the snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Nice to be able to get some snow fall shots today.

Great Tit
    [IMG][/img]26708835078_008ee8c560_c.jpguntitled-270.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

Blue Tit
    [IMG][/img]26708830948_45139ba023_c.jpguntitled-319.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

Blue Tit
    [IMG][/img]39685800315_0794814a07_c.jpguntitled-331.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

Green Finch
    [IMG][/img]39685797745_77ca837e0f_c.jpguntitled-360.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement