Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but it has been very interesting looking over the names people were thinking of over the last couple of years.... If any of you are still following - what did you settle on in the end?

Went with Aidan for the boy (after granddad)

Due his sibling now in July, and I gave daddy the choice of names again and this time we have Saoirse for a girl, not Aisling as we had decided on before and Robert, I was baffled and unimpressed at first, but then I was told the middle name, Emmett. This is what happens when you have children with a Irish History graduate!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

We called our youngest Devin. Have had people pronounce it the weirdest ways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but it has been very interesting looking over the names people were thinking of over the last couple of years.... If any of you are still following - what did you settle on in the end?

First daughter is Addison, second is Saoirse (wolfpawnat :D really hoping yours is a girl!) and third is Ellen.

January wrote: »
    First daughter is Addison, second is Saoirse (wolfpawnat :D really hoping yours is a girl!) and third is Ellen.

You're bias!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You're bias!

It's such a pretty name though lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Our daughter is Maisy, though we named her without the help of this thread.

She was named after a very special family member who was called May :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

foxy06 wrote: »
    We called our youngest Devin. Have had people pronounce it the weirdest ways!

My little sister is Devlin, it's my gran's maiden name. We've had some funny attempts at it as well, dunno why though as it's pronounced just as it's spelt!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Went with Aidan for the boy (after granddad)

Due his sibling now in July, and I gave daddy the choice of names again and this time we have Saoirse for a girl, not Aisling as we had decided on before and Robert, I was baffled and unimpressed at first, but then I was told the middle name, Emmett. This is what happens when you have children with a Irish History graduate!!!!

Saoirse, beautiful. It's what we called our second girl (our first is Sadhbh). We are just being terrible about names right now and can't seem to take it seriously.... This week's favourites are Damage (useful for a career in hip-hop), Ebola, and Candida....
    The poor child.:D

Saoirse, beautiful. It's what we called our second girl (our first is Sadhbh). We are just being terrible about names right now and can't seem to take it seriously.... This week's favourites are Damage (useful for a career in hip-hop), Ebola, and Candida....
    The poor child.:D

I love how quietly popular Saoirse is, before my daughter was born I knew of other kids with the name but I never knew any personally.

A friend of mine was telling me she wanted to name her first child Wolf and kept it up right until the birth and chickened out when he was born. Gave him it as a middle name though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Went with Harrison in the end.
    As per Harrison Ford and two US Presidents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

A friend of mine from New Zealand was having a chat with me about baby names recently. Some of her family are a bit mad and the recent baby names they've used are Draco-Khan and Indica. Draco-Khan is just mad (the family member in question loves hyphenated first names) but I thought Indica was pretty until I was told it's a type of Marijuana and the parents knew that!

All are welcome to the names though, just putting them out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

...and Candida

:eek::eek::eek: I know a girl with this name and ALL I can think of is thrush:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    A friend of mine from New Zealand was having a chat with me about baby names recently. Some of her family are a bit mad and the recent baby names they've used are Draco-Khan and Indica. Draco-Khan is just mad (the family member in question loves hyphenated first names) but I thought Indica was pretty until I was told it's a type of Marijuana and the parents knew that!

All are welcome to the names though, just putting them out there :)

I wish I was joking, but my landlady in New York had a daughter called Ganja!

Twee. wrote: »
    I wish I was joking, but my landlady in New York had a daughter called Ganja!

Ha! That is worse, at least with Indica not everyone would know it. :D

I also find Candida a strange name - why would you name your daughter after a micro-organism that has it in for women?!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Ha! That is worse, at least with Indica not everyone would know it. :D

I also find Candida a strange name - why would you name your daughter after a micro-organism that has it in for women?!
    :eek::eek::eek: I know a girl with this name and ALL I can think of is thrush:eek::eek::eek:

hahaha - I know! You can guess where the inspiration came from:o:o:o More for the moan thread really than here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

I put this on facebook, but figured it would be good in this thread too. :D

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/irish-name-problems-891769-May2013/?

I put this on facebook, but figured it would be good in this thread too. :D

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/irish-name-problems-891769-May2013/?

I saw that. It sort of annoys me though. I have Saoirse chosen for my baby if it is a girl and people keep telling me "she'll have problems if she goes abroad" I mean I know people with names from their countries living here, I like it, variety being the spice of life and all. It seems to be an Irish only thing, you don't hear other nations doing that. My son is one of 4 children in his preschool to have an easily pronounced name. All the others have different names, what I find fascinating is children don't go on with the same things adults do, they just learn the name and get on with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is only hard for english speakers,hopefully our kids wil travel the world and not just to countries where english is the 1st language and therefore easier to pronouce.
    All my kids have irish names and surname,they also speak irish.

Saoirse is really popular at the moment,there are loads of them :)
    Caoimhe has got pretty popular too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If you called your kid Sam.....would that result in every other child calling him Fireman Sam for the first six years of his life.....

Ditto Ben and Ben 10.....

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    If you called your kid Sam.....would that result in every other child calling him Fireman Sam for the first six years of his life.....

Ditto Ben and Ben 10.....

That might be a problem if you wanted to call your child Dora, Diego or Peppa, however I think you would get away with Sam, Ben, Holly, George, Bob etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭filmifan

I know this has been posted about earlier, but I need to clarify it a bit further.

I've had three different opinions on how to punctuate the name Caitlin - and they pronounce her name as 'Kate-lynn,' even though they are Irish and are living here in Ireland.

One person told me there is a fada over the a. Another person told me there is a fada over the a as well as over the second i, and another person told me that to pronounce it as 'Kate-lynn,' even here in Ireland, the most popular and the more modern way to spell it and punctuate it these days is to leave out the fadas completely.

Help! I'm to design a special personalised gift for my friend's baby (they know it's going to be a girl, and they've already decided on the name Caitlin, to be pronounced as 'Kate-Lynn'), and so I need to know the spelling, but I can't ask the parents, as it's meant to be a surprise.

Would it be 'safe' to just go ahead and not use any fadas at all, to simplify things? Thanks in advance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Don't use them. Be easier to add them in if they want it changed, rather than trying to erase them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would guess they will spell it Caitlin but not 100% sure. You might have to ask them.

Thanks, Beertons and Moonbeam. I wish I could ask them, but again, as it's a surprise gift (it's a wall hanging/personalised plaque with the name painted onto the plaque), I can't ask them directly.

Also, it's probably the safest way to go to not have any fadas on it, as you've said Beertons. Even though it'd be already painted, it'd be easier to add on the fadas than to erase them.

Such a dilemma! Any other opinions on this? I think I'm going to go with no fadas, and just hope and cross the fingers that they'll like the gift.

It's kind of like the new/modern way of punctuating Irish names like Sean and Siobhan and even Sinead. I've seen these names - here in Ireland - more WITHOUT the fadas than with them.

Has anyone else come across that? I know that the actor Sean Bean as well as Sean Connery both spell/punctuate their names without the fada...although I realise that they're from England and Scotland, respectively, rather than Ireland. Still, we know that it's Sean, regardless of the fact that there's no fada.

And I know too that, as many ways as there are in America to spell Caitlin, they all pronounce it as Kate-Lynn, regardless of spelling, and I don't think I've ever seen it punctuated (by American/Irish-American parents, I mean) with fadas.

Again...help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If it's being pronounced as Kate-Lynn I'd spell it Caitlin. It would be different with fadas. I'd pronounce it as Cat-Leen if there was a fada on the i and extend the a if there was also a fada on the a.

Thanks, xxMCRxBabyxxX.

I've come to a decision (finally!) - I'm going to make life easier for myself and paint the name Caitlin without any fadas.

As there are so many different opinions on it, and also different regional dialects and punctuation to accompany those dialects, I think it'd be best to just keep it simple.

If worse came to worst, and the parents don't like it when they get the plaque, Beertons, I can go with Beertons' suggestion and (relatively) easily add the fadas on. I'm sure the baby won't mind.

Go raibh maith agat for all your help and suggestions. As for me, I'm going to sign off now and get stuck in to painting this gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Im really stuck for a boy name so gonna find out the sex to help deciding...
    What do ye think about
    Pearse
    Harrison
    Dominic (my fav so far)
    Emerson
    :)
    Thanks

I like Pearse the best out of those four, but I'd be spelling it the Irish way, as Pierce (think Pierce Brosnan).
    But they're all good.

• Advertisement

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Im really stuck for a boy name so gonna find out the sex to help deciding...
    What do ye think about
    Pearse
    Harrison
    Dominic (my fav so far)
    Emerson
    :)
    Thanks

I think Emerson is awful but if you like it, that's all that matters! Everyone likes different names so you'll get some people who love Emerson.It's up to you :) I know not everyone will like the name I've picked but that's ok with me!

I like Dominic the best on your list as well, btw :)

Advertisement