Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

52909069.jpg

Sinead O'Connor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Nothing compares to her ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

iguana wrote: »
    Tbh, I think those names are mutually exclusive. Either one is fine in their own but if you had a son and a daughter called Sinead and Conor they are in for a lifetime of mockery.

I only got this when you posted the picture! I doubt most young ones are familiar with Sinead O'Connor and by the time the kids are 10, she'll probably be off the radar altogether. Young kids are more likely to call each other "smelly head" than make an association with a once-controversial singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I know someone called Sinéad O'Connor, and she's not that Sinéad O'Connor. I never batted an eyelid. And she's never mentioned getting slagged about it.

I really don't think calling your kids Sinéad and Conor is going to have any impact on them at all. I'd be surprised if one person gave them a hard time about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Ms.M wrote: »
    I know someone called Sinéad O'Connor, and she's not that Sinéad O'Connor. I never batted an eyelid. And she's never mentioned getting slagged about it.

I really don't think calling your kids Sinéad and Conor is going to have any impact on them at all. I'd be surprised if one person gave them a hard time about it.

You should ask her about it! She may not have gotten slagged about it, but it can get tiring people mentioning it im sure...My husbands name is James Taylor and he always has people saying Oh just like the singer and or asking him about some song or if he likes such and such. Even once when going to america the TSA person at passport control asked him if he had ever been to North Carolina (where James Taylor is from) and freaked my husband out wondering if something was wrong (she was very deadpan asking him!) He says it gets very old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

I had a dream about the name Joseph and woke up feeling wow great name, I had not thought of it before. I woke the oh up to see what he thought! Well he thought I'm mad but likes the name too!!
    Julia for a girl keeps coming to mind. French surname beginning with B so Joseph or Julia would suit it well. Also work well for french side of family too, no pronounciation issues. Both names are strong and traditional yet quite unusual I haven't seem them in any top tens or get much of a mention on this thread. Anyone like?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I really like the name Julia but not a huge fan of Joseph...although it sounds better with a French accent.
    I also had a French surname beginning with B to contend with :)....although our little girl has both our names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

scrgirl wrote: »
    I had a dream about the name Joseph and woke up feeling wow great name, I had not thought of it before. I woke the oh up to see what he thought! Well he thought I'm mad but likes the name too!!
    Julia for a girl keeps coming to mind. French surname beginning with B so Joseph or Julia would suit it well. Also work well for french side of family too, no pronounciation issues. Both names are strong and traditional yet quite unusual I haven't seem them in any top tens or get much of a mention on this thread. Anyone like?

I like Joseph (I also like Joe). I'm not mad about Julia though :rolleyes: But the main thing is you and your partner like it and it goes well with the surname(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Called our youngest Hugo, absolutely love the name and it suits him. Other two named Craig and Lucy, all short but strong names. I love them anyway x

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Girls names
    What do ye think of
    Neasa
    Jaymie
    Sabhdh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

tishandy wrote: »
    Girls names
    What do ye think of
    Neasa
    Jaymie
    Sabhdh

I love Neasa/Nessa, it was on my list, might use it if I have another girl. Sabhdh is a great name too, but people complain about the spelling/pronunciation. Jaymie looks a bit faddish to me, reminds me of Jayden, it's a name that might be taken more seriously if spelt Jamie or Jaimie.

I love Neasa/Nessa, it was on my list, might use it if I have another girl. Sabhdh is a great name too, but people complain about the spelling/pronunciation. Jaymie looks a bit faddish to me, reminds me of Jayden, it's a name that might be taken more seriously if spelt Jamie or Jaimie.
    Thats true about jaymie, my husband hates the name anyway :P so think i'll give up on that one. know what u mean about the spelling of Sabhbh I have to think twice before I type it, but my daughters name is Evie and people always ask me to spell it, doesnt bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hey, is Rian/Riaghan a girl or a boy's name?

We had been strongly considering it for our baby boy, but yesterday and went googling (some more) and Rian/Riaghan also came up as a girls name?I had thought the female version was Ríona...now we're totally confused, we don't want a name that could be mistaken for a boy or girls name!!Does anyone have any light to shed on it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Girls names
    What do ye think of
    Neasa
    Jaymie
    Sabhdh

Neasa is nice, there's an interesting story/meaning behind it too!

Why would you put a random Y into Jamie? :confused: Jamie is a nice name on it's own. I can only imagine that "Jaymie" is pronounced the same as Jamie, so what's the point in sticking in an unnecessary letter? I'm honestly curious as to the thinking behind this?

Oh and also it's a boys name. I get that it's fun and quirky for you to give a girl a boys name, but it's her that has to live with it, you know?

I'm not entirely sure of the correct spelling of the third name - I'd go for Saidbh or Sadbh myself, I don't see why there would be two "H"s. I really like the name, but would personally avoid it because of the issues that would arise throughout the child's life as regards spelling it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

i love the name Rian, it is in all the irish baby name books as a boys name, irish for Ryan.

Neasa is nice, there's an interesting story/meaning behind it too!

Why would you put a random Y into Jamie? :confused: Jamie is a nice name on it's own. I can only imagine that "Jaymie" is pronounced the same as Jamie, so what's the point in sticking in an unnecessary letter? I'm honestly curious as to the thinking behind this?

Oh and also it's a boys name. I get that it's fun and quirky for you to give a girl a boys name, but it's her that has to live with it, you know?

I'm not entirely sure of the correct spelling of the third name - I'd go for Saidbh or Sadbh myself, I don't see why there would be two "H"s. I really like the name, but would personally avoid it because of the issues that would arise throughout the child's life as regards spelling it correctly.

Well I met a girl through work who was Jaymie I didnt just stick in the y myself. I felt the spelling differeniated it from Jamie the boys name . Im totally put off it here now ha:D. I got the spelling for Sabhdh from mumsnet baby name finder.

Hey, is Rian/Riaghan a girl or a boy's name?

We had been strongly considering it for our baby boy, but yesterday and went googling (some more) and Rian/Riaghan also came up as a girls name?I had thought the female version was Ríona...now we're totally confused, we don't want a name that could be mistaken for a boy or girls name!!Does anyone have any light to shed on it?!

Rian is a lovely name, Perfect for a boy, wouldnt have thought of it as a girls name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I got the spelling for Sabhdh from mumsnet baby name finder.

I don't know how that "Sabhdh" name is pronounced but the Irish name pronounced 'seyeve' is 'd' before 'b', not 'b' before 'd'. Like the mother of Oisin from mythology. So "Sadhbh"

Mumsnet isn't the most reliable name source. :)

I know a girl called "Jamie" she's a beautiful kid and the name really suits her so if you like it don't be put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Having a boy. and we have decided to name him Jamie, really like the name, it can be both girl or boy, think its common in the states as a girl's name but we really like it for our little man.

Gee_G wrote: »
    i love the name Rian, it is in all the irish baby name books as a boys name, irish for Ryan.

Thanks for the reply, however, this is not not not what I want people to say about Rian!!Cos I don't like the name Ryan!!Rian means "little king"!!I don't want it connected with Ryan...do you think everyone is going to say "Rian...oh that's a lovely name...its the irish for ryan ya??"I'll just get a babygro for the baby saying "my name means little king"!!!Sorry for the rant!

• Advertisement

You will always come across someone that will have an opinion about what name you choose, if you are happy then just go ahead with it, Rian was on my list also at the beginning but my OH just didn't like it, I had to consider his opinion of course.

While we're on Rian, what are the alternative spellings for it?

Thanks for the reply, however, this is not not not what I want people to say about Rian!!Cos I don't like the name Ryan!!Rian means "little king"!!I don't want it connected with Ryan...do you think everyone is going to say "Rian...oh that's a lovely name...its the irish for ryan ya??"I'll just get a babygro for the baby saying "my name means little king"!!!Sorry for the rant!

To be honest, yeah, I'd definitely associate Rian with Ryan. :o Sorry, but I think most people would!

To be honest, yeah, I'd definitely associate Rian with Ryan. :o Sorry, but I think most people would!

I disagree, Rian is a different name just like Sean and John are, Sean being the irish for John

Cool- I appreciate your honesty!Thanks

Do the rest of you feel the same- that Rian would be associate with Ryan and not with little King?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I wouldn't associate the two, because I wouldn't pronounce them the same, but that's just me.

Rose35 wrote: »
    I disagree, Rian is a different name just like Sean and John are, Sean being the irish for John

But again, surely anyone would associate Seán with John. :confused:

They're different names, of course, just like Rian and Ryan are - I'm not saying otherwise! But most Irish people would associate them with each other.

They're different names, of course, just like Rian and Ryan are - I'm not saying otherwise! But most Irish people would associate them with each other.

Sorry now to completely hog the thread, but do you think there is a liklihood of people mispronouncing Rian and saying Ryan??Like I want the word that rhymes with Cian!!would I be better off spelling it like Riaghan?hmmm...having serious doubts about this name now and it was one of our faves!!

Sorry now to completely hog the thread, but do you think there is a liklihood of people mispronouncing Rian and saying Ryan??Like I want the word that rhymes with Cian!!would I be better off spelling it like Riaghan?hmmm...having serious doubts about this name now and it was one of our faves!!

Oh I definitely wouldn't pronounce it like Ryan, I can't imagine many people would!

Personally I much prefer Rian than Riaghan ... I'd imagine the pronunciation is slightly different too, no? You'd probably need to check that with a native Irish speaker though! I'd pronounce Riaghan with three syllables, if that makes sense? Rian would be Ree-en, while Riaghan would be Ree-a-en.

When I say that I'd associate the names, what I mean is that I could see a lot of people asking you whether Rian is Irish for Ryan - not that I'd pronounce them the same.

I think it's a lovely name. :)

• Advertisement

So the problem is the total association with the name Ryan, not just being afraid that people will miss pronounce and think that RIAN ( Pronounced differently anyway) is really RYAN and get mixed up.

Sorry I misunderstood, well rian is the irish for ryan aint nothing anyone can do about that then.

Advertisement