Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know several Caoimhe's all pronouncing it Qwee-fa bar one who pronounces it Kee-fa, she is Longford, the rest are Munster/Leinster.

I am Munster too and to me "Caoi" is always Qwee for names, but each dialect is different, which does not mean it's wrong, I have no doubt in other countries they have different ways of pronouncing the same name in different areas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

My Munster side of the family pronounce Caoimhe as Qwee-va, the Leinster side say "Kee-va" and can't their head around the fact that her parents and the rest of us say it the other way. She's 13 and they still can't do it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think the name Niamh is similar. In Munster, its generally Nee-av (two syllables) but friends in Leinster pronounce it Neeve (one syllable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

And Diarmuid, I say "Deer-mid", my friends from the very west of Kerry say "Dee-ur-mwich", ending like sandwich. Always fascinated me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's not really the fadas that's the problem in the name Caolán/Caolan, it's geography! Not many people are well up in the change a fada makes to a vowel sound, so it won't help to get the "right" pronunciation - people will pronounce a name the way it usually is pronounced in the area they live in.

I have a Cathal and 90% of people here in Donegal pronounce it "Cahill", whereas myself, my husband, the grandparents and the child himself pronounce it "cah (like the vowel sound in 'cough') -hill." He can choose to correct people himself when he's older, but it doesn't bother me much. I like the name and the way it's pronounced where I'm from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If our next is a girl i'd like her name to be Sorcha but my Chinese wife says that sounds like Socks to a Chinese person so has vetoed it :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Cathal is a name I like, but I could never have a son called that. my partner has the surname Cahill and as you said, so many pronounce it "Cahill" I know it as the same as you, sort of like "Caw-hill".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Aodhán but it can not go with our surname.
    Our family would have Munster irish,I am not fluent but we do have native speakers and an official translator to correct us:)
    I find Eastern European people are normally better then irish people for pronouncing my kids names.
    At the moment there are a lot of anglicisation of irish names where the pronunciation make no sense to irish speakers but does to english speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

If its a girl we are thinking Tara

A boy and we like Noah

Goes well with the other 2 we have hopefully,Dylan and Ella

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Caolan is pronounced "Kway-lan"

Caolán is "Kway-lawn"

(I am a fluent Irish speaker)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Really struggling on this one. We don't know whether it's a boy or girl so needing to cover both bases on the name-front. We have boxed off the boy name. Was picked (unwittingly) by my brother-in-law on the evening we told the family we were expecting and has kinda stuck with us ever since. The girls name is a struggle though. Have looked though books and kept the ears pricked for Irish names that we thing would suit but nothing really fitting. We're due the August BH weekend so a little more time to choose. It could be a case that she (if that's what it is) will remain nameless for a few days when she come into the world.
    As I said the boys name is in the bag... that is unless when we see him we think that the name doesn't suit, but I doubt this will be the case as we both really like the name.
    Only thing about picking an Irish name is the spelling of them... we'll have fun when the kid grows up and we start teaching them how to spell their name... lol... hehe. Looking forward to it all though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You would be surprised my 4 year old is called Dearbhail and is well able to write and spell her own name.
    There are a lot of uncomplicated irish girls names eg Ciara and Aoife.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I have an unusual and difficult to spell Irish name and I never struggled when learning to spell it. Even with a fada and while living abroad. It's your own name, you'll get it easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Adrieanne for a girl and Samuel for a boy :)

That's an unusual spelling. Adrienne is the name I'd be familiar with.

That's an unusual spelling. Adrienne is the name I'd be familiar with.

I would think they are pronounced differently. Adrieanne is pronounced A-dree-ann and Adrienne would be A-dree-en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I love the name Cassie for a girl. I know it's short for Cassandra but I think I'll just go with Cassie. What do people think of Cassie? My friend made a very good point to me and it stuck in my head. She said that you're thinking of naming a little baby but you have to think of naming a girl and a woman too, what name will suit later in life. I'm a teacher and some of the names I hear everyday will not suit grannies later in life!

I love the name Cassie for a girl. I know it's short for Cassandra I think I'll just go with Cassie. What do people think of Cassie? My friend made a very good point to me and it stuck in my head. She said that you're thinking of naming a little baby but you have to think of naming a girl and a woman too. What name will suit later in life. I'm a teacher and some of the names I hear everyday will not suit grannies later in life!

A lot of people I know love the shorter version of a name but give the child the longer one on their birthcert so to allow them to be called whatever they want when they get older or to even look more professional when they are. Cassie is lovely, not very common (even if it was it doesn't matter) and girlie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry I once knew a dog called Cassie, and it will always be a dogs name for me from now on.

I love the name Cassie for a girl. I know it's short for Cassandra I think I'll just go with Cassie. What do people think of Cassie?

Well then, the sensible thing to do is to name her Cassandra officially, but call her Cassie. That way, she would have the choice of using a more 'mature' name when she's older if she wished.

I think it's lovely by the way, sounds classical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I love the name Cassie for a girl. I know it's short for Cassandra I think I'll just go with Cassie. What do people think of Cassie? My friend made a very good point to me and it stuck in my head. She said that you're thinking of naming a little baby but you have to think of naming a girl and a woman too. What name will suit later in life. I'm a teacher and some of the names I hear everyday will not suit grannies later in life!

Cassie is often short for Catherine as well so you could do that! I absolutely love the name Cassie but hubby vetoed it. I had a boy anyway so it didn't matter!

I knew a girl called Cassie when I was in 5th/6th in school and it really suited her, I didn't think it was a particularly childish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yes I know a girl with the name Cassie which in her case is short for Catherine .
    Cassie is a lovely name. I'd be for just calling the child Cassie . :)

I've slightly regretted not calling my daughter Maisie . I think it's lovely for young and old

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    A lot of people I know love the shorter version of a name but give the child the longer one on their birthcert so to allow them to be called whatever they want when they get older or to even look more professional when they are. Cassie is lovely, not very common (even if it was it doesn't matter) and girlie :D

Cassie is lovely. one of my favourite names is Carrie but it doesn't work at all with our surname.

Our girl's name for this pregnancy is Penny - we're undecided weather to christen Penny or Penelope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pipmae

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    We already have a Maisy, future babies would be Amelie or Alice for a girl, and Noah, William or Philip for a boy :)

We have a Maisy as well - she is 6. (She was Maisie for the first 8 weeks of her life and then we changed the spelling to Maisy - don't ask hormones)....

She is our middle girl - she has an older sister and a younger sister. I had names picked out for years as well.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Adrieanne is my name :D I've never heard of anybody else spelling it that way and I'm 26!

Adrieanne is pronounced A-dree-ann and I would pronounce Adrienne as A-dree-en as wolfpawnat as described.

January wrote: »
    Adrieanne is my name :D I've never heard of anybody else spelling it that way and I'm 26!

Adrieanne is pronounced A-dree-ann and I would pronounce Adrienne as A-dree-en as wolfpawnat as described.

So they are two different names then. I have taught an Adrienne and the name makes me think of the poet, Adrienne Rich. It's lovely either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hope99

We are really having a time finding the right name for our baby girl. WHat do you think about the name Adare or Adair for a girl ? Have you heard this name for a girl in Ireland? do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Adare is the name of a town here. I've never heard it used as a first name for a child.

Hope99 wrote: »
    We are really having a time finding the right name for our baby girl. WHat do you think about the name Adare or Adair for a girl ? Have you heard this name for a girl in Ireland? do you like it?

Please do not post across multiple forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hope99 wrote: »

Seriously? Its the surname of a infamous loyalist terrorist whos group murdered scores of people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Adair

Advertisement