Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Is it sad that my partner and I have our future kiddos names picked out already? :o

We already have a Maisy, future babies would be Amelie or Alice for a girl, and Noah, William or Philip for a boy :)

Haha no! I have a 7 week old daughter and already have the next two named. A boy and a girl in that order by the way ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

EricBlaine wrote: »
    Thanks Roselm and traineeacc for your comments...I'm reassured.

We've been caling the bump Caolan for the last three months so I couldn't have imagined changing it.

How do you pronounce it with no fada?

I am still not mad about the name but my youngest is called Caolán:)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Lisha wrote: »
    What if you went with Isabella and invent a favorite aunt/babysitter that your husband insists on naming child after ?
    Could you use your mother name as a second name maybe ?

Yeah we might do that, we were thinking of saying he got to choose the girl's name as I would have named the baby after my late father if it was a boy.

I wouldn't go with middle names as then we'd have to add his mum's too and that's far too long! Besides, we have something a little more fun in mind... :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moonbeam wrote: »

Kwee-linn

Which is closer to the girl's name Caoilfhionn.

I have a secret name for my bump. I haven't told my OH that I have, but he suspects now. And he suspects it's a terrible name because I haven't told him.

He got to name our son so I'm sneakily thinking it's my turn. Should I wait until he's being born and I'm un-refusably vulnerable to tell him what his new boy's name is? Or should I tell him sooner and let him get used to the idea? Decisions, decisions!

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks,
    I was trying to sound it out as an english word and that is not what I came up with:)
    Caoilfhionn and Caolán were the names my husband picked for #2. I love the name but it is a bit long:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Kwee-linn

Which is closer to the girl's name Caoilfhionn.

I have a secret name for my bump. I haven't told my OH that I have, but he suspects now. And he suspects it's a terrible name because I haven't told him.

He got to name our son so I'm sneakily thinking it's my turn. Should I wait until he's being born and I'm un-refusably vulnerable to tell him what his new boy's name is? Or should I tell him sooner and let him get used to the idea? Decisions, decisions!

:D

You could PM me and tell me the name and I can go from there with advice :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

January wrote: »
    You could PM me and tell me the name and I can go from there with advice :p

I'm keeping it between me and the foetus just now. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I'm not mad about the name my partner chose for no2 if it is a boy, and he keeps telling me I can change it, but he loves it and I said he could have the names so I'm just going to stick with it, it's not a bad name and completely normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I like it and I think it goes with little mans name too :) that's if it's still the same name you told me!

I like it and I think it goes with little mans name too :) that's if it's still the same name you told me!

Yeah it is, it's a nice name, simple and easy, but still. I may also add I have no idea what I would name a boy given a chance, since I couldn't come up for a name for the gerbils I really don't think something as big as a child's name :o

• Advertisement

I could name 10 girls but naming one boy was an issue.
    I love the name CIllian he didn't:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We were the same. We agreed on a girls name straightaway but couldn't find a boys name we both liked. Luckily we had a girl :)

The first time around I picked the boys name, the only one I liked, so this time my husband got to pick the name. I retained a veto just in case he chose something horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

We had Anthony for a boy the whole way through but when he was born we both decided on Jack.

We argued over boy names but had loads of girl names and only last week we were sayin if we had a girl we want the name Lucy which was no where on the list. Think it's normal to keep changing

I knew since the 1st time I heard the name what my daughter would be called and my 2nd daughter was given a name I was also in love with since I 1st heard it at 12:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EricBlaine

Without the fada, we are pronouncing it "Kay-len" or "Kee-lin"...the latter seems to be more common where I've been able to hear Caolans saying their own name.

I'd really recommend using the fada on the án... It's what makes the "on" sound in "Qwa-lon"

Thanks for your suggestion, but that is actually why we don't want to use the fada...although I do prefer the look of Caolán to Caolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Without the fada, we are pronouncing it "Kay-len" or "Kee-lin"...the latter seems to be more common where I've been able to hear Caolans saying their own name.

I can't see how you could pronounce Caolan as kee-lin.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Is Caolan a boy or girl? My husbands nephew is Keelin.

Caolán is an irish boys name.

Keelin is usually a girls name but is also a boys name.It is an anglicised form of Caoilfhionn.

My partner loves Caoilfhinn for a girl. but pronounced Quail-vin not Kee-lin. I vetoed it though. It's just not for me personally.

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    I can't see how you could pronounce Caolan as kee-lin.

I should have been more specific...we actually say "Kay-len" but we were open to "Keelin" as in most video content online, I seem to have only heard the pronunciation "Kee-lin".

I see a lot of people on here saying the "Cao" is a "Qwa" sound but I've not heard this.

As I said in the original post, I don't speak Gaelic or "Irish English"...so I would of course be interested to know how it is spoken throughout Ireland and if there is a difference in how it is pronounced in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I would pronounce Caolan as
    Qwa_lan the lan to sound like ran

If the fada was used (more correct to me)
    I would say Qwa-lawn.

It's just me but I prefer the second way

Lisha wrote: »
    I would pronounce Caolan as
    Qwa_lan the lan to sound like ran

If the fada was used (more correct to me)
    I would say Qwa-lawn.

It's just me but I prefer the second way

And how exactly is the "Qwa" pronounced? Like "Kway"?

I don't know if I am allowed to post links here, but there is an Aussie Rules player from County Down called Caolan Mooney. And he claims that his name is pronounced "Kee-lin" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DcF2BjX6aI) and not "Kway-lan" as the Aussies were trying to pronounce it.

Is there a difference between Northern Ireland and some parts of Rep. Ireland in terms of pronunciation of Gaelic names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My friend called his child Finn Aodh (his dad is Hugh and Aodh is the Irish) and they live near Finea in Westmeath - thought it was clever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

And how exactly is the "Qwa" pronounced? Like "Kway"?

I don't know if I am allowed to post links here, but there is an Aussie Rules player from County Down called Caolan Mooney. And he claims that his name is pronounced "Kee-lin" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DcF2BjX6aI) and not "Kway-lan" as the Aussies were trying to pronounce it.

Is there a difference between Northern Ireland and some parts of Rep. Ireland in terms of pronunciation of Gaelic names?

Yes Qwa =kway

I'm from cork so my Gaelic would be southern Gaelic .
    Others might give their opinions here. :)
    At the end of the day how you spell your chikds name and how you pronounce us up to you.
    I hzve an Irish name and it is pronounced differently by people from different dialects . I only correct them if I have s lot of dealings with them :)
    Best of luck and congrats

Caoimhe up north tents to be pronounced key-va for Caolán they tend to pronounce it Key-lan but most of them just stare blankly at me:)

Thanks Lisha and Moonbeam.

I find the variation in pronunciation really interesting and it's great to learn about this from people who actually know what they are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Caoimhe up north tents to be pronounced key-va for Caolán they tend to pronounce it Key-lan but most of them just stare blankly at me:)

You see I could understand kee-lin as the pronunciation if it was written Caoilan, but not having the 'i' means to me that it couldn't have the kee sound.....maybe it's just me.
    I would pronounce Caolan as kay-lin or kway-lin, and Caolán as kway-lawn. I have Munster Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Thanks Lisha and Moonbeam.

I find the variation in pronunciation really interesting and it's great to learn about this from people who actually know what they are talking about!

I would try to speak to an actual fluent /native Irish speaker because a lot of people that learn Irish in school have sort of changed some pronunciations to the English language version if you know what I mean. Im not a native Irish speaker but I think youll find a native speaker doesnt pronounce the "Caol" part as beginning ""Kw" with an actual "w" with your lips coming together as in an English word that has a w but rather its made with the back of the tongue and the lips remain open.
    So id say the real pronunciation is somewhere between Kay... and Kway...

Edit: I may be wrong but I would check with someone who you can hear pronouncing it who knows what theyre on about!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I just asked my practically gaeilgeor mother who pronounced it kweelin

She would have grown up with Donegal Irish (with maybe a little Leinster influence)

Advertisement