Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

ooh did some one in here have a baby this morning? I heard on Hector there was a baby Fiadh born at 6.30am....was it one of you ladies? :D

are you thinking of me hannibal??! Not due for another 8 weeks..is my girls name of choice surging in popularity??!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Most of our family are fluent irish speakers too and they all pronounce it Quee-va :)

yep ill go with the Queee - va pronouciation...

although with different dialects or whatever you called it of Gaeilge through ireland it most likely is both...

Yeah as a fluent irish speaker myself I'd pronounce it Queeva. And Aoibheann as Ayeveen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We steered clear of many (but not all) Irish names precisely because of this confusion + the fact that many Irish names just don't travel, hop off the plane in London, Manchester, Sydney, New York, or wherever, and you may run into trouble with a pronunciation/ mispronunciation that will haunt the child for life!

PS; Even in Ireland there are issues with pronunciations of (some) Irish names.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

LordSutch wrote: »
    We steered clear of many (but not all) Irish names precisely because of this confusion + the fact that many Irish names just don't travel, hop off the plane in London, Manchester, Sydney, New York, or wherever, and you may run into trouble with a pronunciation/ mispronunciation that will haunt the child for life!

Was working today and had to wear a name badge.

Not a single person Irish, or otherwise could pronounce my name!

But tbh I don't care! Never have. It's actually a talking point for people and I do always get compliments on my name. No complaints from me despity my impossible name!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

People from other countries don't not call their kids native names because foreigners can not pronounce them.
    All my children will have irish names and can use their english or irish surname.

I am curious to what your name is now!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My son is due on 11th of September and my husband has been telling everyone that we're calling him Osama!!! God knows what we'll actually call him because every name I like he thinks is crap, and he hasn't actually put forward a single serious suggestion yet (some gems so far have been Balar, Gobnait, Banksy, Spock and Darth).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

LordSutch wrote: »

We did the same...my husband is half norwegian, so whilst I would love all Irish names, there's not much point if half the family can't pronounce it. We went for an anglicised version of an Irish name for my son, and for the imminent arrival, I'd love something more Irish, but it won't happen :D

Toots* wrote: »
    My son is due on 11th of September and my husband has been telling everyone that we're calling him Osama!!! God knows what we'll actually call him because every name I like he thinks is crap, and he hasn't actually put forward a single serious suggestion yet (some gems so far have been Balar, Gobnait, Banksy, Spock and Darth).

There is nothing more annoying than when you come up with a great name and you get a flat 'No', meanwhile they have contributed nothing at all!

We've had Hugh in mind for a while now, but I think we're going off it now...and blimey trying to come up with another name is going to cause divorce. I suggested Ewan last night and he said no way because he once met a Ewan who wasn't very nice...well if that's the case we may as well just make up a name! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Was working today and had to wear a name badge.

Not a single person Irish, or otherwise could pronounce my name!

But tbh I don't care! Never have. It's actually a talking point for people and I do always get compliments on my name. No complaints from me despity my impossible name!

I'm the same. I must spell my name at least 10 times a day & so many people that know me years, still pronounce my name incorrectly. Wouldn't mind, but I don't think it's difficult at all - no silent letters & not an unusual irish spelling.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There is nothing more annoying than when you come up with a great name and you get a flat 'No', meanwhile they have contributed nothing at all!

We've had Hugh in mind for a while now, but I think we're going off it now...and blimey trying to come up with another name is going to cause divorce. I suggested Ewan last night and he said no way because he once met a Ewan who wasn't very nice...well if that's the case we may as well just make up a name! :rolleyes:

Oooh, I hate that answer aswell! I liked Vincent (probably Vince for short) but he said all the Vincents he went to school with were tools. He must have gone to school with a lot of tools cos a lot of the names I've suggested have been met with that response! I suppose it is just better than 'no'. I just keep threatening to take the baby to the registry office one day while he's in work and he'll be none the wiser :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have friends and their dad is french and their mam irish so the daughters have french names and the sons irish/english names their reasoning being that the girls would probably marry in Ireland and end up with irish/english surnames.
    I thought it was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Yeah as a fluent irish speaker myself I'd pronounce it Queeva. And Aoibheann as Ayeveen.

There was an Aoibheann in my class in school and she pronounced it Even

Toots* wrote: »
    I just keep threatening to take the baby to the registry office one day while he's in work and he'll be none the wiser :p

haahaa I keep saying that too :D I'll call the baby Alphonsus just to spite him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

haahaa I keep saying that too :D I'll call the baby Alphonsus just to spite him :D

My partners middle name is Alphonsus! After his grandfather :)

January wrote: »
    My partners middle name is Alphonsus! After his grandfather :)

:o That's lovely January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭tweety11981

What are people's opinion on the name CJ for a boy??

It won't be short for anything? Just CJ?

:o That's lovely January :D

:P He has a much more normal first name thank God!

And CJ... it won't be short for anything? Just CJ??

I don't see it as a name just an abbreviation so really would not like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

i like cj but would have baby as charlie james or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

What do ye think of Otis for a boy? (meaning hears well) ... Is it a bit out there?

I like the name Celeste for a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Knit wit wrote: »
    What do ye think of Otis for a boy? (meaning hears well) ... Is it a bit out there?

I like the name Celeste for a girl.

I love Otis, and Celeste. I know someone called Celestine and I've always thought it was so pretty. She's in her 50's, and it's so unusual for a woman of that age.

Re; CJ. I don't think abbreviations are cute at all. It's not a "real" name in my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

With regard to abbreviated names, my OH nephew is called Ajay, as opposed to the more common AJ. I though it was a little odd at first but it really suits his personality, quiet and sort of mischevous too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I have an unusual choice for a girl's name, Karensa. It's Cornish, and means Love. I thought it would be a nice touch as my husband is from Cornwall. I just have to convince him of it!

For short she would be Kara, and I was thinking of combining it with the middle name Rose. Kara Rose. I just think it sounds lovely. The only drawback is that our surname is rather hard to spell, so the poor child will be cursed with a first and second name that she'll have to spell for people forever more.

As for a boy, I haven't a clue. The only stipulation we have is that there'll be no Manchester United or Liverpool names as we support different teams. Other than that I think I'll give my husband first dibs on a name, unless I have very strong feelings about hating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I really hope its a boy I'm having this time. OH has always wanted to call a boy Michael, which is grand by me. With middle name James, after my Dad who passed away last November. Only thing is I'd love to call him Mikey for short, but OH, or daughters won't hear of it:(
    I am completely stumped for girls names, everything I suggest is shot down by OH and daughters. I like Fiona, they say Shrek. I love Maria, they look at me like I'm mad. I think Gabby is cute, but no that's too Desperate Housewives. Either that, or it sounds like a girl who never shuts up. There are plenty girls names I think are nice, but just wouldn't use myself. Youngest daughter wants to call the baby Krystal, if it's a girl:eek:
    Ah well, plenty time yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

73Cat wrote: »
    I really hope its a boy I'm having this time. OH has always wanted to call a boy Michael, which is grand by me. With middle name James, after my Dad who passed away last November. Only thing is I'd love to call him Mikey for short, but OH, or daughters won't hear of it:(
    I am completely stumped for girls names, everything I suggest is shot down by OH and daughters. I like Fiona, they say Shrek. I love Maria, they look at me like I'm mad. I think Gabby is cute, but no that's too Desperate Housewives. Either that, or it sounds like a girl who never shuts up. There are plenty girls names I think are nice, but just wouldn't use myself. Youngest daughter wants to call the baby Krystal, if it's a girl:eek:
    Ah well, plenty time yet...

girls names
    mya
    ava
    alexis
    alyssa (my daughters name)
    jamie (daughters name)
    brooke
    bella
    leyla
    maisie
    sarah (princess)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So I'm not pregnant yet but I always think about baby names. Even when I was a little girl I did!

Girls
    Ruby
    Elizabeth (eliza,lizzie,beth)
    Layla (The OH loves this)
    Anouska
    Martha

Boys
    Joseph (Joe,joey)
    Thomas
    Patrick (Baby Paddy- imagine! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

So I'm not pregnant yet but I always think about baby names. Even when I was a little girl I did!

Girls
    Ruby
    Elizabeth (eliza,lizzie,beth)
    Layla (The OH loves this)
    Anouska
    Martha

Boys
    Joseph (Joe,joey)
    Thomas
    Patrick (Baby Paddy- imagine! :) )

Paddy is great:D. I know a couple of kids called Paddy, always thought it was really cool.
    I'm beginning to like Eilis for a girl (should have a fada on the last i). Pronounced I-leesh, rather than Ay-leesh. It's Irish for Elizabeth, which is my middle name. OH looks doubtful. Yet again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

73Cat wrote: »
    Paddy is great:D. I know a couple of kids called Paddy, always thought it was really cool.
    I'm beginning to like Eilis for a girl (should have a fada on the last i). Pronounced I-leesh, rather than Ay-leesh. It's Irish for Elizabeth, which is my middle name. OH looks doubtful. Yet again:(

I love that name, but just want to point this out - the fada on the 'i' makes that letter into an 'ee' sound, it has nothing to do with how the beginning of the word is pronounced. The differences in the pronunciation of the first part is regional - most "Eye-leesh"s are from the south of the country.

Oh, and to type a letter with a fada on it - press "alt gr" and the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Glamour Puss

jack and lilly :)

Advertisement